PDA

View Full Version : Ok so the Mormans just showed up at my door.

LilSooner
3/7/2007, 05:15 PM
I told them I was Satan and going to eat their soul if they didn't scurry on their way.

Damn our door not having a peep hole.

Dio
3/7/2007, 05:17 PM
Just tell them you go to Life Church

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2007, 05:17 PM
Meh. It's not like you'd be able to use a peep hole made for regular sized folks anyhow.

(ducks)

LilSooner
3/7/2007, 05:20 PM
Meh. It's not like you'd be able to use a peep hole made for regular sized folks anyhow.

(ducks)

Helloooo the good lord did make make this wacky little invention called a step ladder.

the_ouskull
3/7/2007, 05:37 PM
...yeah, but what about the trampoline that you'd need to get up to the first rung of the step ladder? Did you have one of those handy too?

the_ouskull

TopDawg
3/7/2007, 05:37 PM
One time some door-to-door religous guys came by my house while me and a buddy were playing basketball in the driveway. They stopped and shot some hoops with us for a few minutes.

As soon as they found out that my dad is a Baptist preacher, they left.

BigRedJed
3/7/2007, 05:40 PM
...(ducks)
You're headed the wrong direction!

(jumps)

def_lazer_fc
3/7/2007, 05:40 PM
a friend of mine, who has full tattoo sleeves was working out in the garage when they came to the door. he opened the door with his shirt off, and both of the people stepped back off the porch and left not soon after. hence to say, they never came back again.

on another note, i read southern baptists are planning some massive door to door thing pretty soon too. so be on a look out for them.

picasso
3/7/2007, 05:43 PM
Jehovah's Witness hit our house a few years ago. It was odd because we used to rarely have visitors at that place (300 yard private driveway).
anywho, I answer the door and see these two kids in their early teens, awkward and wearing some awful clothes. I kindly told them I was a Christian as I looked at their Mom out in the min-van.

poor guys.

OhU1
3/7/2007, 05:46 PM
Two Mormon missionary girls tried to convert my buddy and I as we were sitting outside drinking some brews. I talked to the cute one for about 10 minutes while the ugly one stood there with a Stunned Aggie look on her face. I guess I could have asked them if the two were a package deal with that multiple wife thing they got going. But I was nice - didn't offer them a beer or anything. Just talked about what I knew and had a nice conversation. I don't know why some people give the Mormons and Witnesses a hard time. It takes a lot of guts to do what they do.

Dio
3/7/2007, 05:47 PM
a friend of mine, who has full tattoo sleeves was working out in the garage when they came to the door. he opened the door with his shirt off, and both of the people stepped back off the porch and left not soon after. hence to say, they never came back again.

on another note, i read southern baptists are planning some massive door to door thing pretty soon too. so be on a look out for them.

I'm coming to your house, def, and I ain't afraid of tattoos! ;)

usmc-sooner
3/7/2007, 05:49 PM
I told them I was Satan and going to eat their soul if they didn't scurry on their way.

they need more wives.

You should convert and you could marry me and Rhino, you could have a harem of husbands. :D

BigRedJed
3/7/2007, 05:50 PM
http://www.8secondchallenge.com/soonerfans/rhino.jpg

def_lazer_fc
3/7/2007, 05:51 PM
I'm coming to your house, def, and I ain't afraid of tattoos! ;)
crap! and im not even done with my bunker yet!!

picasso
3/7/2007, 05:52 PM

that's just not right. if your mission is to save folks, it shouldn't matter how they look or where they are.

def_lazer_fc
3/7/2007, 05:52 PM
I don't know why some people give the Mormons and Witnesses a hard time. It takes a lot of guts to do what they do.
agreed, but damn, do they have the worst jobs. like a door to door salesman, but, you know, for jesus.

def_lazer_fc
3/7/2007, 05:53 PM
that's just not right. if your mission is to save folks, it shouldn't matter how they look or where they are.
yeah, but it's probably a little intimidating for a lot of these folks. especially the super sheltered ones. plus, they might've been new on the job.

soonerboomer93
3/7/2007, 05:58 PM
ah yes, another reason for front door camera's

although I did answer once, for a Jehovah's Witness (didn't know it was one, just saw the cute Korean lady at the door)

Dio
3/7/2007, 05:58 PM
crap! and im not even done with my bunker yet!!

Eh, you're safe- they decided to send me to Waco to stop the Zima epidemic they've got going down there.

crawfish
3/7/2007, 06:05 PM
Tell 'em, "I know all about Mormons! I watch 'Big Love' on HBO!!!"

LilSooner
3/7/2007, 06:18 PM
Now I preface this by saying that there are some real decent human beings that I am damn proud to know who are Southern Baptist to the core. BUT those OTHER Southern Baptist that I grew up with are the most racist, ignorant bunch of backwater scumbags I have ever had the displeasure to know. And unfortunately, it only took a few bad ones to ruin the whole sect for me.

Don't try to tell me that crystal (as is cut glass) is the devil. You can go sell your crazy to some one else Mr. Preacher man.

I actually left Falls Creek the one and only year I was conned into going down there because I was so damned offended, well that and I didn't want to die of heat stroke. Because you would know that I would go the year that they decided to take the fun out of Falls Creek or at least at the cabin I was at. We had zero free time if we weren't at the tabernacle we were back at the cabin in a class. Even at night we had to go directly back to the cabin for another lesson then had to go to be at 10. It was the worst. EVAR.

LilSooner
3/7/2007, 06:20 PM

I should have said that I just watched the Southpark episode.

DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB.

Sooner24
3/7/2007, 06:30 PM

They could probably tell that just by looking at you. ;)

usmc-sooner
3/7/2007, 06:42 PM
so the whole polygamy thing, isn't what your looking for at this stage in your life?

What in the name of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young is going on?

olevetonahill
3/7/2007, 06:59 PM
I aint gonna tell My JW story again , But they dont come back .
I was nice for the 1st few times . then I :eek: em .

StanOU
3/7/2007, 10:43 PM
http://www.exmormon.org/

MamaMia
3/7/2007, 11:09 PM
If its hot I always give them a cold beverage. If its cold I make them some hot chocolate. They aren't allowed to come in if you are a woman and you're alone. Its their rule. So if the mister is gone they stand on the porch and I give them their drinks in a to go cup.

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2007, 11:11 PM
That's very kind of you, Mom.

It probably makes up for when I turn the hose on them.

"No soliciting means no soliciting-hope your holy underwear is waterproof!"

olevetonahill
3/7/2007, 11:15 PM
That's very kind of you, Mom.

It probably makes up for when I turn the hose on them.

"No soliciting means no soliciting-hope your holy underwear is waterproof!"
Mom is such a good person . I feel bad about going to the door Neked . then shootin thru the floor a few yrs later :O

sooneron
3/7/2007, 11:21 PM
We had some witnesses stop by the house a couple weeks back. My wife is Jewish and we have a mezuzah on the door jamb. I kindly pointed to it and and in my best Nicholson voice said, "see that? Crazy's already here, go sell it somewhere else!"

:D

Boarder
3/7/2007, 11:43 PM
My Mormon friend said that Utah Mormons have a really hard time here. They can't beleive that people won't believe thier story. They seem to have no sense of...not so much real world, but more of just people who won't listen to the story.

rufnek05
3/8/2007, 12:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VeFEL5t_pU

i wonder if anyone has actually said this....

goingoneight
3/8/2007, 01:27 AM

Tell 'em any Jesus jokes while you were at it? :D

goingoneight
3/8/2007, 01:38 AM
My Mormon friend said that Utah Mormons have a really hard time here. They can't beleive that people won't believe thier story. They seem to have no sense of...not so much real world, but more of just people who won't listen to the story.

Just askin' nicely, have you ever heard any of that stuff about Joseph Smith? Heh, watch the South Park episode "All About Mormons." They took that straight outta the Book of Mormon. I know, because two of my Mormon raised friends have seent hat episode and were embarassed not because of the satire, but they said it's true. I also actually listened to one of those mormon dudes tell his story and that confirms every word of that crazy story from South Park.

All I'm saying is it's weird, and it sounds like some drunk had a lot of followers.

jdsooner
3/8/2007, 01:38 AM
So, I am almost to my driveway, when I see two Mormon missionaries turn into the drive. At that moment, my son opens the gate to feed Ariel, our German Shepherd, who loves to bark at people on bicycles. This was Ariel's big chance to finally catch a person on a bicycle. She didn't eat them, but they made a quick exit and they have not been back since.

I guess Mormons don't like Methodist German Shepherds.

jdsooner
3/8/2007, 01:43 AM
I also have a Jehovah Witness story. My wife came into my office crying and I thought one of the kids had been killed. Turns out, it was only the cat. The cat had been sleeping on top of the raised garage door and when she lowered the door, the kitty met his demise.

She returned home, opened the door, and kitty dropped dead on the driveway. Of course, I had to go home and dispose of kitty. I put the cat in a bucket and was carrying it to the backyard for burial, when a girl who was a Jehovah's Witness showed up with her literature. I said, "This is not a good time for me."

Her reply was, "We didn't kill your cat."

I said, "I know." What I later wished I had said was, "That's a lie. You Jehovah's Witnesses are known cat killers! How dare you murder my little kitty." It would have been fun to mess with her and I blew it.

soonerboomer93
3/8/2007, 02:09 AM
Naw, you should have told her it was your daily sacrifice...

tommieharris91
3/8/2007, 02:15 AM
Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe Jesus Christ was the Messiah? Right? Or something like that so that most churches don't recognize them as a Christian denomination?

royalfan5
3/8/2007, 02:28 AM
The guy I share an office with is a Mormon. He's from Cody, Wyoming. His mission sent him to the hood in South Florida. He's got some awesome stories. Great sense of humor too, he didn't even get offended when I suggested they combine Amway sales with their mission, as a back-up plan. I also had a great discussion about the portryal of LDS'ers in Orgazmo the other day.

SactoSooner
3/8/2007, 04:21 AM

Oh, please don't do that! There are a few Liberal Sooner Mormons in your presence. ;)

SactoSooner
3/8/2007, 04:24 AM

Oh, please don't do that! There are a few Liberal Sooner Mormons in your presence. And we're not all that bad. :)

soonerboomer93
3/8/2007, 04:43 AM
Mom is such a good person . I feel bad about going to the door Neked . then shootin thru the floor a few yrs later :O

no you don't

Boarder
3/8/2007, 06:54 AM
Just askin' nicely, have you ever heard any of that stuff about Joseph Smith? Heh, watch the South Park episode "All About Mormons." They took that straight outta the Book of Mormon. I know, because two of my Mormon raised friends have seent hat episode and were embarassed not because of the satire, but they said it's true. I also actually listened to one of those mormon dudes tell his story and that confirms every word of that crazy story from South Park.

All I'm saying is it's weird, and it sounds like some drunk had a lot of followers.
Oh, I know all about it, probably more than most. A couple of my best friends are Mormon. They know that I absolutely don't believe any of it. We still manage to get along, go on snowboard and wakeboard trips, and generally have fun despite the difference in belief. Wacky, huh?

They thought the South park episode was hilarious, unlike most of thier Church-mates.

IB4OU2
3/8/2007, 10:05 AM
Ask them if they ever read "Banner of Heaven" written by Robert Krakhauer. Gives ALOT of insight into the fundamental Mormon belief as a matter a fact it's pretty damn shocking. :eek:

fadada1
3/8/2007, 10:16 AM
we had a mormon family in my hometown - western new york. yeah, they were out of place. all i know is that there was a whole tribe of them - like 12 kids!!!! last i heard, the family was trying to re-populate the county. is that in their "bible" or something???

-go on ye follower, and procreate like a drunken sailor.

yermom
3/8/2007, 10:17 AM
Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe Jesus Christ was the Messiah? Right? Or something like that so that most churches don't recognize them as a Christian denomination?

nope, they believe in JC as the Messiah. they don't consider other Christians as valid though

crawfish
3/8/2007, 10:17 AM
Oh, please don't do that! There are a few Liberal Sooner Mormons in your presence. And we're not all that bad. :)

Liberal Mormon? Does this mean that all your wives can dress hawt?

(I kid, I kid. ;) )

BigRedJed
3/8/2007, 10:25 AM
Wrong. They do believe he existed, and that he was the Messiah. Unlike much of Christendom, they are more God-centric than Jesus-centric, however, and that's probably the source of much confusion. They believe that Jesus was a totally separate being, God's favorite archangel and the one he considered to be his son. Therefore, it doesn't fit many Christians' definition of the Holy Trinity, whereby God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one entity.

They believe that Jesus came down and sacrificed himself to save those who come to believe, much like other Christians. But they don't believe that faith alone will save them. They take this from James 2:26, which says "For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so faith apart from works is dead." That's why they knock on your door; they believe they have an obligation to bring their religion to you, in order to ensure their own survival.

They also don't believe that they will be going to Heaven, but rather that God will restore the earth to his original intended paradise state, and that believers will live forever on earth, which was his original purpose. They believe that only a select number of humans from throughout history will end up in Heaven, to act as intermediaries between God and the human race. This also ****es off a lot of other Christians.

They also don't believe Jesus was impaled on a cross, but rather a (more historically accurate) Roman stake or tree, so they don't use any cross imagery, which probably adds to the perception by non-JW's that they aren't Christians.

They don't celebrate Christmas, which they believe isn't actually Christ's birthday but an ancient pagan holiday repurposed to appeal to pagans the Roman Catholic church was hoping to convert. Another reason outsiders probably think they aren't Christians. In fact, they don't celebrate any birthdays at all, because they believe it elevates the individual above others, and they believe in LOTS of humility.

Another deviation from most Christians: they don't believe in Hell or eternal damnation; they feel Satan is a real being (a corrupted angel), and that at the day of judgement he and all non-believers will be judged and then destroyed. Dead, finito. Cease to exist.

They believe that they are Christians more in the mold of first-century Christians, before Rome adopted (and greatly altered) the religion.

They drink alcohol (in moderation), they consume caffiene, they dance. They don't speak in tongues, faith heal or dance with snakes.

They are not supposed to have sex outside of marriage, use drugs, smoke, gamble, swear, lie (even the small white lies). If you ever have one apply for a job that requires honesty, they're generally a good risk because they take honesty really seriously, like, they will throw you out of the church if you're dishonest and feel that liars and cheats won't be saved.

They, like many, believe their religion is the only true religion.

FYI, I grew up Methodist, but had close family who were JWs. I attended their services many times with friends and family. Although I don't believe the way they do, I will say that they are typically some really good people, and I always get a bit perturbed when I hear people say they aren't Christians, and feel a need to set the record straight.

I can also tell you quite a bit about Mormons, since I also have close familiy members who are LDS. If you delve deeply into their beliefs, they deviate from traditional Christianity FAR more than JWs.

frankensooner
3/8/2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks BRJ. That was very educational. I knew some of that stuff, but didn't have the whole picture. Does anyone know about Seventh-Day Adventists?

I was raised in the Church of Christ and I dated the Penecostal preacher's daughter back in High School. My wife is Baptist and we go to either Methodist or Life Church, depending on our mood.

It is interesting hear what others believe.

I still don't want them on my front porch though. ;)

Hamhock
3/8/2007, 10:41 AM
They believe that only a select number of humans from throughout history will end up in Heaven,

havent they changed this number a few times?

frankensooner
3/8/2007, 10:43 AM
havent they changed this number a few times?
I thought it has always been 144,000.

BigRedJed
3/8/2007, 10:50 AM
As far as I know it HAS always been 144,000. You have to remember though, that religion is barely 100 years old. A lot of their beliefs were moving targets for the first 50 years or so.

BigRedJed
3/8/2007, 10:52 AM
And I'll tell you this -- they study and know their Bibles like not many other religions. They don't go to chruch to be lectured; they go to intensely study scripture, participate in Q&A, practice knocking on your door and the like. Church isn't a social gathering for them.

fadada1
3/8/2007, 10:55 AM
And I'll tell you this -- they study and know their Bibles like not many other religions. They don't go to chruch to be lectured; they go to intensely study scripture, participate in Q&A, practice knocking on your door and the like. Church isn't a social gathering for them.
so it's not all fire and brimstone???

dang pope has us all scared...

and i'm not even catholic!!!!

Hamhock
3/8/2007, 10:55 AM
I thought it has always been 144,000.

i think you're right.

yermom
3/8/2007, 11:20 AM
it's from Revelation 14...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/8/2007, 02:14 PM
So what's worse, Christianity or Mormonship? What is it about both that makes it oK to scorn and ridicule them, but not Buddism, for example, and especially not Islam?

def_lazer_fc
3/8/2007, 02:36 PM
So what's worse, Christianity or Mormonship? What is it about both that makes it oK to scorn and ridicule them, but not Buddism, for example, and especially not Islam?
eh, who knows. i think all religions should be able to withstand being held to the fire. if your faith is strong enough, it shouldn't matter what others say about your religion, or what they aren't saying about someone elses. buddhism isn't really that prominent of a religion, so that might explain why there isn't more 'scorn' directed towards them. i don't know of too many people that actually ridicule mormonship as a religion, just the people that come to your door all the time. i hate door to door vacuum salesmen, but that doesn't mean i hate vacuums. as far as christians go, even in a country where they make up about 80% of the population, they still somehow think they are being persecuted. b/c they are so prominent, it's only expected that some people will start a backlash against them. and no one wants to ridicule islam, cuz the more fundamentalist factions take themselves WAY too seriously and act WAY too crazy.

Fraggle145
3/8/2007, 02:42 PM
I respect that everyone has a right to believe what they want to believe...

...now get off my porch :D

47straight
3/9/2007, 10:17 AM
One of my prof's had a JW for a nanny, and he said concerning the honesty/hardworking thing, you hire one - you hire the whole church! If the girl was ever gonna be gone at all, someone else from church came and covered for her.

SoonerAtKU
3/9/2007, 10:55 AM

Tell you what. The next time a buddhist President tries to legislate his beliefs, they're fair game too. Also, the next time a Daoist monk uses terror tactics to attack the great Satan here in the West, go ahead and call their beliefs stupid.

As far as I'm concerned, any time you try to push your beliefs to the forefront or control another person's thinking through violence or terror, you're asking to be questioned. That's why I don't have a problem with people openly questioning religions like Islam, Christianity, LDS, etc.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/9/2007, 11:07 AM
Tell you what. The next time a buddhist President tries to legislate his beliefs, they're fair game too. Also, the next time a Daoist monk uses terror tactics to attack the great Satan here in the West, go ahead and call their beliefs stupid.

As far as I'm concerned, any time you try to push your beliefs to the forefront or control another person's thinking through violence or terror, you're asking to be questioned. That's why I don't have a problem with people openly questioning religions like Islam, Christianity, LDS, etc.Heh, watch out for those Crusaders. Benedict the Righteous is a-comin' to GETCHA, fella/girl!

Xstnlsooner
3/9/2007, 11:24 AM
I had a lively discussions with some JW's a few years back. Seems like
they have their own version of the Bible that is twisted to support
their beliefs. I invited them back, but they never came. Dang it!!
It was fun.

Boarder
3/9/2007, 12:31 PM
The Mormons have a "clarification" version of the King James Bible that was done by Joseph Smith that changes some things up, too.

As with any religion not yours, it doesn't matter if you agree or not you should still be able to get along and treat each other with respect.

Unless you're a Scientologist of course. They're wacko. :D

Frozen Sooner
3/9/2007, 12:32 PM
Religious people calling other people's religions wacky always cracks me up.

I'm just saying.

Boarder
3/9/2007, 12:35 PM
YOU'RE WACKO!

I was just kidding about the Scientologists, Nanook

stoops the eternal pimp
3/9/2007, 12:47 PM
A few years ago my wifed worked at a place with a jw in the next cubicle. my wife would sing happy birthday and put a christmas tree up after thanksgiving..2 very big no no s in the jw world

also the jw girl didnt receive a christmas bonus check because...she didnt believe in it

yermom
3/9/2007, 01:57 PM

I'm just saying.

word.

Xstnlsooner
3/9/2007, 02:21 PM

I'm just saying.

Hold on.........pull my finger.......pffftttt!

Boarder
3/9/2007, 03:04 PM

I'm just saying.
Being an athiest is being religious, too. Just saying.

It's just religiously following nothing. Or themselves. Or whatever.

yermom
3/9/2007, 03:16 PM
it's not like you are choosing to believe in some supernatural mythology stuff based on faith, but someone else doing the same thing in a different way is obviously wrong

Boarder
3/9/2007, 03:20 PM
Same difference. An athiest's religion is no God and people who believe there is a God are just silly for believing it.

What I'm saying is no one should be calling people who do things differently than them strange. You can not accept it but don't persecute it.

yermom
3/9/2007, 03:24 PM
i can call them strange ;)

i just don't want them at my door, it's not like i'm going to shoot them or something

picasso
3/9/2007, 04:00 PM
ok, so whoever negged my bro xtnlsooner and called him a 'tard. needs to at least grow a sack and sign said neg.
I'm currently on his pc and read that weak assed smack.
the dude has a Masters in Theology. I'd say he's more than qualified for the discussion. and, like myself, he's not a crazy kool-aid drinking type.

so, up yours Da Vinci Code apologist type person.

amen.

signed, Picasso

picasso
3/9/2007, 04:02 PM

I'm just saying.
hey man, I agree. I think Jesus was over here hanging with the Apaches and stuff too. Where's that Titanic dude, bet he can find some tangible evidences's's.

olevetonahill
3/9/2007, 04:08 PM
The Mormons have a "clarification" version of the King James Bible that was done by Joseph Smith that changes some things up, too.

As with any religion not yours, it doesn't matter if you agree or not you should still be able to get along and treat each other with respect.

Unless you're a Scientologist of course. They're wacko. :D

The way I undersatand it is there Is a Book of Mormon, they believe and use the King James version , ( or did )
As long as the KJ Agrees with the Book of Mormon .

yermom
3/9/2007, 04:08 PM
ok, so whoever negged my bro xtnlsooner and called him a 'tard. needs to at least grow a sack and sign said neg.
I'm currently on his pc and read that weak assed smack.
the dude has a Masters in Theology. I'd say he's more than qualified for the discussion. and, like myself, he's not a crazy kool-aid drinking type.

so, up yours Da Vinci Code apologist type person.

amen.

signed, Picasso

maybe he should pony up some cash and see who negged him ;)

his comment didn't exactly add much to the conversation...

Boarder
3/9/2007, 04:23 PM
They use the King James Version and the Book of Mormon, yes. But, they have what they call a "Clarification Version" of the King James Version. It was basically Joseph Smith going through the KJV and clarifying certain passages, deleting some, and adding in some others with the help of God's inspiration.

One of my major problems comes from this version. One of the passages that was added was, "There will be a seer named Joseph" so basically he wrote in a prophecy about himself.

picasso
3/9/2007, 04:24 PM
maybe he should pony up some cash and see who negged him ;)

his comment didn't exactly add much to the conversation...
neg maybe, but if you're also going to call one a name then sack up and sign it.

I always sign my negs.

and when exactly did a large majority of anyone's comments add to any discussion around here?

yermom
3/9/2007, 04:26 PM
not anything worthy of mentioning credentials anyway... although when i first posted that all i remembered was the one about pulling his finger

picasso
3/9/2007, 04:52 PM
It's not okay to throw in a little sarcasm now huh! Sorry didn't know the rules had changed...

heh

opksooner
3/9/2007, 04:55 PM
Missionaries? No problem.

[Door opens, they commence spiel.....]

Me: "Are you happy with your religion?"

Them: "Yes"

Me: "Me too".

[close door]

The End

yermom
3/9/2007, 04:59 PM
It's not okay to throw in a little sarcasm now huh! Sorry didn't know the rules had changed...

heh

it's only ok when i do it ;)

OKC Sooner
3/9/2007, 08:17 PM
Q: What do you get when you cross a JW with an atheist?

A: Someone who rings your doorbell for no particular reason.

usmc-sooner
3/9/2007, 08:28 PM

I'm just saying.

people who choose to live in cold weather are wacko!!!!

MamaMia
3/9/2007, 09:59 PM
I like the Mormon boys. They're nice. They're clean cut and they have good manners, which I find quite refreshing these days. They are so far away from home and no matter what religion you are, offering a kind word and maybe a cold beverage to someone who misses his family is the hospitable thing to do.

Some of you people ought to be ashamed of yourselves. I'm a devoted Catholic, but you don't have to believe in their religion to be polite to them. Just believe in having some manners and being a good person.

soonerhubs
3/9/2007, 10:00 PM
people who choose to live in cold weather are wacko!!!!
I'm Mormon and it's snowing. I have no hope. ;)

BTW whoever posted that the missionaries were scared away by your looks needs to note that it's because the missionary wasn't raised in Oklahoma like yours truly. I like goofy looking people too. ;)

royalfan5
3/9/2007, 10:03 PM
I'm Mormon and it's snowing. I have no hope. ;)

BTW whoever posted that the missionaries were scared away by your looks needs to note that it's because the missionary wasn't raised in Oklahoma like yours truly. I like goofy looking people too. ;)
I had a fun conversation with my officemate today about stakes and branches and numerical limits on congregation size, and when meeting start in areas with lots of dairy farmers.

soonerhubs
3/9/2007, 10:15 PM
I had a fun conversation with my officemate today about stakes and branches and numerical limits on congregation size, and when meeting start in areas with lots of dairy farmers.
It can get rather complex. But it all makes sense. Did the area with Dairy Farmers have church earlier or later?

royalfan5
3/9/2007, 10:18 PM
It can get rather complex. But it all makes sense. Did the area with Dairy Farmers have church earlier or later?
later but at one point they moved it up. It's hard to milk 450 cows in the morning and be there by 9. It worked much better at 11. Also is Nehi, one of the more important folks in the Book of Mormon? My officemate seems to mention him quite often when doing his bible study at noon.

soonerhubs
3/9/2007, 10:32 PM
later but at one point they moved it up. It's hard to milk 450 cows in the morning and be there by 9. It worked much better at 11. Also is Nehi, one of the more important folks in the Book of Mormon? My officemate seems to mention him quite often when doing his bible study at noon.
Nephi pronounced (NEEFI) is one of the primary characters, yes.

Helaman, Lehi, Laban, Lemuel, Sam, and a few others.

royalfan5
3/9/2007, 10:35 PM
Nephi pronounced (NEEFI) is one of the primary characters, yes.

Helaman, Lehi, Laban, Lemuel, Sam, and a few others.
If I understand correctly, there were twelve tribes in America in America too? Where these folks the leaders of the tribes in America, or were they part of the same ones?

soonerhubs
3/9/2007, 10:40 PM
If I understand correctly, there were twelve tribes in America in America too? Where these folks the leaders of the tribes in America, or were they part of the same ones?
Not so much 12 tribes in America. More of that we believe a portion of the decendants of Joseph (Ephraim and Mannassah) were here.

I'm sure someone will probably post the DNA link shortly, but I'm sure most of you folks understand that a belief based on faith is a belief based on faith.

OKC-SLC
3/10/2007, 12:11 AM
As Hubler knows, I recently lived in SLC for three years. I am not Mormon, but I spent a fair amount of time there learning a bit here and there about the faith.

I don't agree with a lot of it, but don't ever let anyone tell you Mormons are anything but good people.

The Fundamentalists (like Jeffs, Kingston, et al.) are crazy, and the Mormons I know will be the first to tell you that.

frankensooner
3/12/2007, 09:17 AM
My Mormon neighbors, (the nice ones, not the crazy ones) are fantastic ballroom dancers. I understand the husband went to BYU on a Ballroom dance schollie! I think that rocks, coming from a church that didn't believe in dancing.

Fraggle145
3/12/2007, 09:41 AM
I like the Mormon boys. They're nice. They're clean cut and they have good manners, which I find quite refreshing these days. They are so far away from home and no matter what religion you are, offering a kind word and maybe a cold beverage to someone who misses his family is the hospitable thing to do.

Some of you people ought to be ashamed of yourselves. I'm a devoted Catholic, but you don't have to believe in their religion to be polite to them. Just believe in having some manners and being a good person.

I dont agree with anyone coming to my house and trying to sell me stuff, magazines, religion, girl scout cookies (well maybe not girlscout cookies those are damn tasty), but you get the idea. Its the same with the telemarketers. Like I dont have anything better to do than to listen to you invade my privacy. If I wanted it, I am sure I could find it somewhere myself.

:les: Go sell crazy someplace else!!

;)