PDA

View Full Version : What's up with that big red billboard

LilSooner
3/7/2007, 02:58 PM
going south on I-35. Boycott Life Church?

I couldn't catch the website but it was something about Satan hates life.

Anyways who did Life Church **** off?

Osce0la
3/7/2007, 03:02 PM
HEH...that's funny, my wife works for Life Church out here in Birmingham. I really need to see this website you are referring to...She hates Life Church as well...

LilSooner
3/7/2007, 03:20 PM
So um is Life Church now the Mcdonalds of churches now?

crawfish
3/7/2007, 03:27 PM
Hmmm...in Neil Stephenson's book "Snow Crash", he introduced a concept of the "franchise church" - a specific brand of church where you bought a local franchise, much like McDonald's.

I'm personally afraid of the concept of a global church with centralized authority. It certainly takes away from the ability of the autonomous, local church to attract members, and opens the door for massive corruption, moreso than the Catholic church has ever seen. After all, these new church corporations are being set up like businesses, with secular business models...

crawfish
3/7/2007, 03:28 PM
So um is Life Church now the Mcdonalds of churches now?

:mad:

Osce0la
3/7/2007, 03:32 PM
My wife was explaining to me how church membership at Life Church is handled. She said that when you decide to become a member of Life Church, they sit you down and look at how much you make every month and determine the amount you should give to the church every month. If you fail to pay that amount you are put on an inactive members list until you do pay that set amount. This is how it was explained to her from someone that actually attends Life Church.

I told her it sounds more like a Jesus Fan Club to me if all of that is true...

Soonrboy
3/7/2007, 03:37 PM
That's sound like a fraternity...Gamma Omega Delta

BigRedJed
3/7/2007, 03:38 PM
Any church that has required giving should lose their tax-exempt status.

SicEmBaylor
3/7/2007, 03:40 PM
I'm not very religious. I'm not religious at all. Most probably wouldn't even call me a Christian, but I think I'd be far more likely to go to church if it were the polar opposite of the whole Life Church/Guts Church model.

I don't like contemporary services with some bozo with sideburns coming out and preaching in jeans and a guitar. Ugh, count me out!

I want a very formal stoic service that doesn't include a lot of hand waving singing and such. If I could sit down and listen to a formal sermon then I might be more willing to go.

LilSooner
3/7/2007, 03:57 PM
I am soooo glad I am out of the church multimedia business. That whole concept makes me sick. We had talked about going to Life Church a couple of time, but after hearing that I don't believe I will be gracing them with my presence.

I'm kind of over the whole lets throw up three projectors and show cartoons and **** at church. Just give me a plain old methodist service and I will be just fine thank you very much.

Oh and get rid of those damn crossword puzzles and worksheets that incorporate the sermon. Its hard enough to concentrate on the WORD when I have 14 different camera shots up on three different screens, blaring Christian rock, and my grandpa tugging on my arm asking me what 3 across is.

Tulsa_Fireman
3/7/2007, 04:00 PM
Oh and get rid of those damn crossword puzzles and worksheets that incorporate the sermon.

Are there churches really doin' this kinda stuff? That's weak.

LilSooner
3/7/2007, 04:03 PM
Are there churches really doin' this kinda stuff? That's weak.

Yep its supa lame. It is suppose to be a supplement to the sermon, but I think it's more of a distraction.

TUSooner
3/7/2007, 04:31 PM
Hmmm...in Neil Stephenson's book "Snow Crash", he introduced a concept of the "franchise church" - a specific brand of church where you bought a local franchise, much like McDonald's.

I'm personally afraid of the concept of a global church with centralized authority. It certainly takes away from the ability of the autonomous, local church to attract members, and opens the door for massive corruption, moreso than the Catholic church has ever seen. After all, these new church corporations are being set up like businesses, with secular business models...
I think the independent church - no denominational oversight - is the place most likely to be corrupted by a strong-willed pastor. I'll betcha that 80% or more of "corrupt pastor scandals" involving money are indy churches.
I don't know nothin' 'bout Life Church

TUSooner
3/7/2007, 04:36 PM
I am soooo glad I am out of the church multimedia business. That whole concept makes me sick. We had talked about going to Life Church a couple of time, but after hearing that I don't believe I will be gracing them with my presence.

I'm kind of over the whole lets throw up three projectors and show cartoons and **** at church. Just give me a plain old methodist service and I will be just fine thank you very much.

Oh and get rid of those damn crossword puzzles and worksheets that incorporate the sermon. Its hard enough to concentrate on the WORD when I have 14 different camera shots up on three different screens, blaring Christian rock, and my grandpa tugging on my arm asking me what 3 across is.
Thank you!

I left my Methodist church of 20+ years because it started to go all multi-media schnazzy. I felt like it was a pyramid scheme - just get more folks in, and forget about the long-time steady members and other "dead wood" and "foot draggers". I've since found a more 'traditional' but no less alive Methodist church where the Gospel is a way of life, not a "product" that everyone must own and market and sell.

StoopTroup
3/7/2007, 04:42 PM
The Catholic Church is looking for young men just like you Sicem.

Put away your political ambitions and focus on your true calling...

Being celibate is only one of the requirements of Priesthood...

Since you have that out of the way already...it would seem your past one of the largest hurdles IMO. ;)

Scott D
3/7/2007, 04:47 PM
:mad:

so you wish she said it's the Hardees of Churches? so it can be bought out by Tim Hortons and Carl Jr's of Churches? :D

LilSooner
3/7/2007, 04:48 PM
DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A BASH SIC EM THREAD. This thread is devoted to the billboard that is bashing Life Church.

Don't make me lock my own damn thread.

Hillbillies.

soonervegas
3/7/2007, 04:50 PM
Woah. Is that Christian Slater?

Christians? Later Dude.

Does anyone know anything about People's Church? Thos people on the billboard look like they have crazy eyes.

LilSooner
3/7/2007, 04:52 PM
A guy that I use to work with went to that church. But he got fired for giving projectors away to churches (basically he sucked at math). Nice dude though.

frankensooner
3/7/2007, 04:52 PM
Pastor Craig haters.

frankensooner
3/7/2007, 04:54 PM
Does anyone know anything about People's Church? Thos people on the billboard look like they have crazy eyes.
One Sunday morning, I was taking my kids to the movies and it was when they still had their services at AMC at Quail Springs. They seemed like a nice friendly sort, but I really wanted them out of my theater.

SicEmBaylor
3/7/2007, 04:54 PM
DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A BASH SIC EM THREAD. This thread is devoted to the billboard that is bashing Life Church.

Don't make me lock my own damn thread.

Hillbillies.

Hey, I was right there bashing them with you.
Baylor's chapel service is a lot like what you described....big video screens everywhere, contemporary christian rock musicians, etc.

If you're so inclined you can watch our chapel services (that we're required to attend twice a week for 2 semesters):
http://www.baylortv.com/arch.php?cat=000019

C&CDean
3/7/2007, 04:58 PM
People bitching about rock & roll churches should be bitching about all churches. Why? Cause there's one major flaw/problem with every church.

People. They're all ****ed up and ruin everything. They're greedy, they lie, they cheat, they steal, they whoremonger, they browbeat, they beg, and churches are nothing more to many attendees than their latest drug of choice.

But this is an old, worn out topic.

LilSooner
3/7/2007, 05:03 PM
Hey, I was right there bashing them with you.
Baylor's chapel service is a lot like what you described....big video screens everywhere, contemporary christian rock musicians, etc.

If you're so inclined you can watch our chapel services (that we're required to attend twice a week for 2 semesters):
http://www.baylortv.com/arch.php?cat=000019

At ACU you were required to go every day at lunch or else pay a 5 dollar fine.

LilSooner
3/7/2007, 05:05 PM
People bitching about rock & roll churches should be bitching about all churches. Why? Cause there's one major flaw/problem with every church.

People. They're all ****ed up and ruin everything. They're greedy, they lie, they cheat, they steal, they whoremonger, they browbeat, they beg, and churches are nothing more to many attendees than their latest drug of choice.

But this is an old, worn out topic.

Hey brother man I'm right there with you. Which is part of the reason I am not currently a member of any church.

Right now I'm just choosing to bitch about rock n' roll churches. Believe me there is plenty of blame to go around.

C&CDean
3/7/2007, 05:15 PM
Hey brother man I'm right there with you. Which is part of the reason I am not currently a member of any church.

Right now I'm just choosing to bitch about rock n' roll churches. Believe me there is plenty of blame to go around.

Preach on my sistah.

Paperclip
3/7/2007, 05:24 PM
going south on I-35. Boycott Life Church?

I couldn't catch the website but it was something about Satan hates life.

Anyways who did Life Church **** off?

Those billboards are actually sponsored by Life Church. They're a take off on the billboards that "quote" God. You know, the black ones with a phrase then say "-God" in the bottom right corner. These billboards are supposedly quotes from Satan about Life Church.

Dio
3/7/2007, 05:32 PM
The rock and roll I like. The 15 minute milktoast sermons at most of the contemporary/ seeker churches, not so much. Give me a 2 1/2 year jaunt through Ephesians any day.

crawfish
3/7/2007, 05:34 PM
I think the independent church - no denominational oversight - is the place most likely to be corrupted by a strong-willed pastor. I'll betcha that 80% or more of "corrupt pastor scandals" involving money are indy churches.
I don't know nothin' 'bout Life Church

Actually, when money is siphoned up to a central place, there WILL be corruption. Small, independent churches may get corrupt but their influence is relatively small.

The danger of the megachurch corporations is that they grow very quickly, before the normal bureaucracy can get set in. In other words, the money can corrupt before the honest people can get a hand in curbing the centralized power.

However, I'm of the opinion that human nature is such that you can't stop corruption completely, only limit its effects.

Hamhock
3/7/2007, 05:34 PM
The rock and roll I like. The 15 minute milktoast sermons at most of the contemporary/ seeker churches, not so much. Give me a 2 1/2 year jaunt through Ephesians any day.

werd

TopDawg
3/7/2007, 05:35 PM
Billboards. Heh.

OhU1
3/7/2007, 05:36 PM
Those billboards are actually sponsored by Life Church. They're a take off on the billboards that "quote" God. You know, the black ones with a phrase then say "-God" in the bottom right corner. These billboards are supposedly quotes from Satan about Life Church.

"Cute". Marketing religion. I guess that's appropriate since most new mega churches look like shopping malls from the outside.

LilSooner
3/7/2007, 06:08 PM

That is the gheyness. The end of the world is indeed near when those PR geniuses start marketing church. Next thing you know your Sunday morning worship is going to be sponsored by Lowes and NEXTEL. Because you know Jesus was a carpenter and a great communicator.

I seriously hate this world some (scratch that most) of the time.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/7/2007, 10:46 PM
Some friends of mine go to LifeChurch South. All I really know about it is that they really like it and their kids really like it. Their daughter is going on a mission trip to Mexico for Spring Break.

I'm glad they have found a church where they enjoy worshipping. Having a minister preach via the TV while I'm sitting in a pew isn't really my thing though.

JohnnyMack
3/7/2007, 10:52 PM
I've sat in the cathedral at Notre Dame, St. Patrick's on Madison avenue and my personal favorite, a little church in the tiny French village of St. Mere Eglise. Now I'm not a religious person, but that's what a church is to me. These newfangled ones all have one thing in common, they suck.

Oh dear God.

I'm turning into :dean:, aren't I?

ChickSoonerFan
3/7/2007, 11:14 PM
Yes, the billboards were actually created by Life Church. It may not be for everyone but it reaches a lot of people who would otherwise not go or be interested in church.

And all churches preach on tithing, which is 10%. When I went to membership class at Life a few years ago, they did no such thing as look at my expenses and tell me how much I was supposed to give (as posted earlier in this thread).

Life Church is absolutely not for everyone, but they don't claim to be.

Here is a link about the billboards.

At least it got you heathens to talk about it.....

KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But that is the point really, to get people to notice and think.

http://satanhateslife.com/

SeattleOUstudent
3/7/2007, 11:26 PM
Thank you!

Yes, the billboards were actually created by Life Church. It may not be for everyone but it reaches a lot of people who would otherwise not go or be interested in church.

And all churches preach on tithing, which is 10%. When I went to membership class at Life a few years ago, they did no such thing as look at my expenses and tell me how much I was supposed to give (as posted earlier in this thread).

Life Church is absolutely not for everyone, but they don't claim to be.

Here is a link about the billboards.

At least it got you heathens to talk about it.....

KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But that is the point really, to get people to notice and think.

http://satanhateslife.com/

sooneron
3/7/2007, 11:37 PM
I really don't think that billboards have a place in religion.

TheUnnamedSooner
3/7/2007, 11:49 PM
I really don't think that billboards have a place in religion.

But does religion have a place on billboards? That is the question.

sooneron
3/7/2007, 11:50 PM
But does religion have a place on billboards? That is the question.
Alright, let's call that one a double edged sword.

Fraggle145
3/8/2007, 12:03 AM
I'm not very religious. I'm not religious at all. Most probably wouldn't even call me a Christian, but I think I'd be far more likely to go to church if it were the polar opposite of the whole Life Church/Guts Church model.

I don't like contemporary services with some bozo with sideburns coming out and preaching in jeans and a guitar. Ugh, count me out!

I want a very formal stoic service that doesn't include a lot of hand waving singing and such. If I could sit down and listen to a formal sermon then I might be more willing to go.

Sounds like mass, if memory serves me right... I gave religion up for lent along time ago. :eek:

SleestakSooner
3/8/2007, 05:49 AM
The new iconic symbols for religion are leather clad preachers and choir members in cool poses staring down on you as you drive over the speed limit on your way to work or your new trist. Advertisement of religion cheapens the spirit of worship... but it sure helps to fill up those donation plates.