http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,257398,00.html

Thoughts?

TheHumanAlphabet
3/7/2007, 02:23 PM
Sad Day. Hope he "comes back"...

Ploy to sell more comics.

OklahomaTuba
3/7/2007, 02:23 PM
In other news, comic sales went through the roof in Tehran, Damascus, Caracas, and Berkeley CA.

Hatfield
3/7/2007, 02:29 PM
my thoughts are it is bs that this came out today before the issue hit the stands.

my other thought is that cap has been a boring read (at least when i stopped reading his title years ago) and he isn't really relevant as a "superhero" anymore.

FaninAma
3/7/2007, 02:29 PM
I suspect that there was some political motivation behind this added to the fact that Captain America wasn't a big revenue producer for the company which was due, again IMO, to the fact that the company did not market this character well because of political leanings of the "creative" staff.

Scott D
3/7/2007, 02:30 PM
why is this a surprise? they've killed superman at least twice and batman 3 or 4 times....both can be considered much bigger heroes than Captain America.

crawfish
3/7/2007, 02:31 PM
Why does Marvel hate America?

jk the sooner fan
3/7/2007, 02:33 PM
adults still read comics?

colleyvillesooner
3/7/2007, 02:34 PM
less than ten posts to a political slant. Nice.

royalfan5
3/7/2007, 02:36 PM
I suspect that there was some political motivation behind this added to the fact that Captain America wasn't a big revenue producer for the company which was due, again IMO, to the fact that the company did not market this character well because of political leanings of the "creative" staff.

It's their business to run as they see fit.

jk the sooner fan
3/7/2007, 02:38 PM
captain marvel is against gay marriage, shops at walmart and thinks lincoln is the cats meow as far as great presidents go

i'm surprised none of you didnt see this "killing" coming long long ago.....

King Crimson
3/7/2007, 02:46 PM
i'm starting to think many americans prefer propaganda than freedom of speech.

Cap'n A is a fictional character....ya know?

def_lazer_fc
3/7/2007, 02:52 PM
capt. america has always been one of the lamer comic book characters. the fact that his name is capt. america doesn't really play into it. he just sucks. you could call him capt. McLoveAbortions, and he'd still suck. wait a sec, i got an idea....

jk the sooner fan
3/7/2007, 02:55 PM
i've heard they're going to replace him with Captain Middle East

King Crimson
3/7/2007, 03:05 PM
naw, it's Captain Treasonous TinFoil Hat.

jk the sooner fan
3/7/2007, 03:08 PM
oooooh even better :)

Hatfield
3/7/2007, 03:10 PM
i hear a cap movie is planned for 2008/9 so you can see a "resurrection" in the near future.*

*provided james cameron doesn't find his tomb and stuff

jk the sooner fan
3/7/2007, 03:11 PM
well thats the beauty of a dead cartoon figure.......you can erase his bones anytime you want

or draw them back in

Hatfield
3/7/2007, 03:17 PM
to be fair...cartoons and comic books are 2 different things :(

jk the sooner fan
3/7/2007, 03:19 PM
the comic book contains a cartoon story does it not?

you can split hairs on that if you like......

skycat
3/7/2007, 03:23 PM
Did someone just put up an 04 beacon?

crawfish
3/7/2007, 03:29 PM

I just bought three of the new "Conan the Barbarian" graphic novels. They rawk. :O

Mjcpr
3/7/2007, 03:30 PM
I just bought three of the new "Conan the Barbarian" graphic novels. They rawk. :O

He said adults.

OU4LIFE
3/7/2007, 03:47 PM

I just bought the first of the Dark Tower comics. So there.

Cap'N will be back. Movie in the works, etc. He's no less of a franchise that Batman, Superman or Spiderman....he's just been allowed to let time pass him by. They will modernize him, and it will rock.

frankensooner
3/7/2007, 03:47 PM
Is Bucky a goner too?

FaninAma
3/7/2007, 03:58 PM
less than ten posts to a political slant. Nice.

Because something like that would never happen in the entertainment industry....never.

JK, it's nice to be able to count you as one of my many, many fans. :)

In the big scheme of things it's a trifling occurence. It will be hard to explain it to my 5 year old son who ranks Captain America right behind Superman and Spiderman.

Hatfield
3/7/2007, 04:00 PM
easy to explain actually.

you see son...his sales were slipping, and there was this movie planned for release in 2 years so they killed him now so they can relaunch the series with the release of the movie to generate renewed interest and the resulting more money for the company.

Oldnslo
3/7/2007, 04:06 PM
FWIW, I think the Cap books are a pretty good read. The whole "civil war" thing has taken too long to play out, but it's a pretty good story.

If you're looking for an intro to comics, plunk down the dough for the trade paperback of either Y or Invincible. Or go all '90s and start reading Neil Gaiman's Sandman books.

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2007, 04:06 PM

1. Captain America has one of Marvel's best writers on the book, Ed Brubaker.

2. Captain America has consistently (since Brubaker took over the book) drawn critical praise within the industry.

3. Captain America has been a consistent high-seller and is one of the central characters in Marvel's latest big event.

4. It's already been revealed that he's not really dead.

So, as should be no surprise, you don't have any idea what you're talking about.

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2007, 04:07 PM
easy to explain actually.

you see son...his sales were slipping, and there was this movie planned for release in 2 years so they killed him now so they can relaunch the series with the release of the movie to generate renewed interest and the resulting more money for the company.

Got some Diamond numbers to back that up? Every indication I've seen is that his solo book has sold better in this run than it has in decades.

FaninAma
3/7/2007, 04:14 PM
1. Captain America has one of Marvel's best writers on the book, Ed Brubaker.

2. Captain America has consistently (since Brubaker took over the book) drawn critical praise within the industry.

3. Captain America has been a consistent high-seller and is one of the central characters in Marvel's latest big event.

4. It's already been revealed that he's not really dead.

So, as should be no surprise, you don't have any idea what you're talking about.
We all have our faults and weaknesses I guess.

I merely linked to the article. I obviously am not the authority on comic books that you are.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2007, 04:15 PM
Captain America=Greatness.

FaninAma
3/7/2007, 04:17 PM
A horse's *** says what?

Oh, right. They just talk about things they don't have any idea about and ascribe it to a shadowy anti-American conspiracy.

Please tell me that the entertainment industry doesn't do things for political purposes. Does Al Gore's Oscar, or the Dixie Chicks' 5 Grammies ring a bell?

Scott D
3/7/2007, 04:18 PM
Because something like that would never happen in the entertainment industry....never.

JK, it's nice to be able to count you as one of my many, many fans. :)

In the big scheme of things it's a trifling occurence. It will be hard to explain it to my 5 year old son who ranks Captain America right behind Superman and Spiderman.

So you skipped over the fact that DC killed Superman at least two times before the 1990s, or that Spiderman was 'killed' during the early 90s briefly with your son. I'm sure he'd be crushed to know that pretty much all of the X-Men have been killed off at one time or another also.

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2007, 04:19 PM
What, exactly, does that have to do with this particular story?

Or do you just assume that everything in the entertainment industry has something to do with politics?

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2007, 04:20 PM
So you skipped over the fact that DC killed Superman at least two times before the 1990s, or that Spiderman was 'killed' during the early 90s briefly with your son. I'm sure he'd be crushed to know that pretty much all of the X-Men have been killed off at one time or another also.

Dude. It's all anti-Americanism. Probably a joint effort between the Bavarian Illuminati and Abe Lincoln's ghost.

TUSooner
3/7/2007, 04:27 PM
Who's an adult?

I think we'll find that a mad scientist got hold of some of Abe Lincoln's genetic material and cloned the Great Tyrant who offed Capt. M.
Book it.

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2007, 04:31 PM
By the way, Fanin, your kid has great taste in characters. Captain America is my personal favorite. Dude punched Hitler in the jaw, you know?
My apologies for the "As should come as no surprise" portion of my comments. That was sort of uncalled for.

FaninAma
3/7/2007, 04:43 PM
By the way, Fanin, your kid has great taste in characters. Captain America is my personal favorite. Dude punched Hitler in the jaw, you know?
My apologies for the "As should come as no surprise" portion of my comments. That was sort of uncalled for.

And ditto for my comment that I edited.

I admit it was a knee jerk reaction on my part. I read the story and wondered why in the heck they would do that. I should have known that sales and revenue will take priority over political motives....usually.

I am on a 10 step program to remove politics as a aource of consternation in my daily life. I may have to give up posting on this board but then who's chain would jk try to yank? :)

Scott D
3/7/2007, 04:45 PM
oh I think jk is capable of finding another chain to yank ;)

Scott D
3/7/2007, 04:46 PM
Dude. It's all anti-Americanism. Probably a joint effort between the Bavarian Illuminati and Abe Lincoln's ghost.

Damn those Bavarians.....don't forget about the Sunni Freemasons ;)

colleyvillesooner
3/7/2007, 04:48 PM

nah, he's too busy pulling strings...

dolemitesooner
3/7/2007, 04:54 PM
I want to go off so bad! :(

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2007, 04:56 PM
YOU want to go off?

My frigging LCS didn't get their shipment today. I can't even go and read the damn things, and when I pop on a couple of message boards the spoilers smack me in the face!

dolemitesooner
3/7/2007, 04:58 PM
YOU want to go off?

My frigging LCS didn't get their shipment today. I can't even go and read the damn things, and when I pop on a couple of message boards the spoilers smack me in the face!
I can't post. I must not post. I will spell things wrong. :cool: :rolleyes: :O :pop: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2007, 05:02 PM
PM me. I won't turn you in.

jk the sooner fan
3/7/2007, 05:04 PM

so many chains, so little time

i pull fan's just because he never lets me down :)

FaninAma
3/7/2007, 05:11 PM
so many chains, so little time

i pull fan's just because he never lets me down :)

And I always try to uphold my end of the arrangement.

This thread has turned a little wierd.

jk the sooner fan
3/7/2007, 05:17 PM
yeah, no hugs or anything, just keep your distance ;)

TUSooner
3/7/2007, 05:44 PM
The last magazine of any kind I bought was MAD. That's sort-of a comic book, I guess. It's a shame they have ads now, and I really miss Don Martin. Some of it was just as crappy as ever, though.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/7/2007, 05:50 PM
Lieutenant Tolerance

jk the sooner fan
3/7/2007, 05:56 PM
The last magazine of any kind I bought was MAD. That's sort-of a comic book, I guess. It's a shame they have ads now, and I really miss Don Martin. Some of it was just as crappy as ever, though.

i used to read Mad religiously.....loved that cartoon ;)

Mjcpr
3/7/2007, 06:20 PM
I don't know if you all have heard but they're going to kill off Alfred E. Neuman.

Sonsabitches.

jk the sooner fan
3/7/2007, 06:35 PM
how on earth will i explain that to my 17 year old son?

Mjcpr
3/7/2007, 06:52 PM
You just have to lay it out there. Sure there will be a lot of tears but life is full of heartache; he may as well learn that now.

jk the sooner fan
3/7/2007, 06:54 PM
well......he IS my son after all ;)

jrsooner
3/7/2007, 08:08 PM
My frigging LCS didn't get their shipment today. I can't even go and read the damn things, and when I pop on a couple of message boards the spoilers smack me in the face!Don't worry... they'll get it sooner than later. Diamond always fouls up orders. :) If you don't want spoilers stay off the comic boards.

jrsooner
3/7/2007, 08:25 PM
my thoughts are it is bs that this came out today before the issue hit the stands.

my other thought is that cap has been a boring read (at least when i stopped reading his title years ago) and he isn't really relevant as a "superhero" anymore.Cap is still boring. :) He was a good read a while back then the anti-establishment groups at Marvel decided to use his books to attack the "establishment".

He dies, they'll bring him back. Marvel has been putting out this sensationlistic trash since Quesada.

If they brought back Bucky, they'll bring back anyone. :) This is just another show of slight of hand, razzle dazzle from the great dumbed down minds of Marvel. I swear the brains at Marvel must be the editorial crew at the Enquirer.

In about a year, they'll have a comic where Spiderman wakes up in the shower, and realizes this whole Quesada junk has been but a dream.

What? You say Cap is dead?
http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2006/04/17/inside-duffy.jpg

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2007, 09:36 PM
Dude, have you read Captain America since Brubaker took the book over? I can't see much anti-establishment in them other than the whole Civil War deal-and he admitted he was wrong there.

bri
3/7/2007, 10:07 PM
Wow, this thread is like comic books and politics having a Downs baby and then promptly dropping it on its head. :D

usmc-sooner
3/7/2007, 10:52 PM
is Shazaam muslim?
that focker, Captain Marvel my arse, Oh and miss O Mighty Isis can kiss my arse too

.:D :D :D :D

KC//CRIMSON
3/8/2007, 02:59 PM
Speaking of comic books, how hard would it be to find the complete set and how much would one have to pay for it?

http://www.comicvine.com/comic/watchmen/3622/&i=40382

Frozen Sooner
3/8/2007, 03:13 PM
KC-

Watchmen has never gone out of print (which is one of the many problems that Alan Moore has with DC Comics-the rights to the series revert to him as soon as it's out of print. He thinks they're keeping it in print deliberately to screw him.)

Anyhow, you can get the Absolute Watchmen edition-a nice hardbound edition with retouched colors-for about $75 off of Amazon, or you can get a softcover collection for arounf $20-$25 at your local comic shop.

If you were looking for it in singles, eBay is your best bet.

jrsooner
3/8/2007, 05:27 PM
is Shazaam muslim? Naw... Just Black Adam... Shazam's immortal enemy. :)

the_ouskull
3/8/2007, 05:48 PM
No, I'm sure he'll be replaced by Captain Freedom-To-Choose-Unless-It-Involves-A-Fetus. :D

Okay, that one was bad, even by my standards... I apologize.

Marvel Comics = Freedom Haters? Discuss.

the_ouskull

Mixer!
3/8/2007, 08:15 PM
heh. (http://mightygodking.livejournal.com/298916.html#cutid1)

Hatfield
3/13/2007, 02:04 PM
the new captain america is none other than the Punisher...interesting....

http://www.newsarama.com/movies/Hellboy/Iron/889new_storyimage3793928_full.jpg

Frozen Sooner
3/13/2007, 02:21 PM
heh. (http://mightygodking.livejournal.com/298916.html#cutid1)

:D

10: SMITE!
20: GOTO 10

Brilliant.