PDA

View Full Version : The FCC is actually serving its purpose!

Rhino
3/7/2007, 10:44 AM
Stations agree on anti-payola settlement (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/business/4603527.html)

"Federal law and FCC rules require broadcasters to inform listeners if a station is being paid to play a song. The FCC can fine its licensees, but any criminal investigation would be undertaken by the Department of Justice.

When finalized, the consent decree will result in the second-largest fine ever issued by the FCC — if a recently reported $24 million settlement with Univision Communications Inc. regarding children's television obligations is also approved.

The broadcasters represent four of the six largest radio firms in the U.S. and own a combined total of 1,653 stations. The cash breakdown on the settlement is Entercom, $4 million; Clear Channel, $3.5 million; Citadel, $2 million; CBS, $3 million."
Four major broadcast companies would pay the government $12.5 million and provide 8,400 half-hour segments of free airtime for independent record labels and local artists, The Associated Press has learned.
In a statement Monday, Commissioner Michael Copps said pay-for-play "cheats radio listeners and will not be tolerated." Radio, he said, is "supposed to be our pipeline to exciting, local undiscovered acts — not more nationalized pablum from big media companies." Mr. Copps - you are 10x the commissioner that Michael Powell was. Kudos!

BigRedJed
3/7/2007, 10:51 AM
Outstanding.

King Crimson
3/7/2007, 10:53 AM
well if it's supposed to be a pipeline to "local"....how's about opening up some spectrum space for smaller, local broadcasting licenses....?

Michael Powell was an industry creature.

Ike
3/7/2007, 12:04 PM
so 8,400 half hour segments for independent labels and local artists, spread over 1,653 stations means about 5 half hour segments per station. Please tell me that this number is a "per day" number. I have this sinking feeling that its a "per year" number.

frankensooner
3/7/2007, 12:12 PM
Yeah, they will open up the forum to local and independent labels every third Sunday between 3 and 4 a.m. ;)

BigRedJed
3/7/2007, 02:33 PM
Any news on how the indie segments would be distributed, Rhino?

Ike
3/7/2007, 03:20 PM
so if the indie segments are really 5 half hours per year, then that works out to be each station devoting 3% of 1% (or 0.03%) of their time to indie music. Color me not impressed. If they are monthly, it works out to about 3% of 10% (or .3%) of their time, If they are weekly, it's about 1.4% of their time, and if they are daily requirements, that would be about 10% of their time.

It's my humble opinion that they are pretty much getting away with it if the requirements are anything less than weekly requirements.

Rhino
3/7/2007, 04:11 PM
Any news on how the indie segments would be distributed, Rhino? It's a tentative agreenment right now, so no idea.

Rhino
3/7/2007, 06:01 PM
We'll see. (http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/03/05/ap3485614.html)