PDA

View Full Version : Rap Music on the decline...

goingoneight
3/7/2007, 12:52 AM
It's about damn time that (c)Rap got some neg. ****ed me off when some talentless guy makes an album of izzles and shizzles and sells more than someone who actually writes, plays and, oh... I don't know SINGS their own music?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/05/music.rapbacklash.ap/index.html?eref=rss_showbiz

May real music live again.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/7/2007, 01:02 AM
It really is hard to believe they have sold as much rap music as they have, and over so long a time.

jacru
3/7/2007, 01:03 AM
... and the world becomes a little brighter. :)

goingoneight
3/7/2007, 01:14 AM
I'm sorry if this offends hip-hop fans, but this little site makes me so happy in my pants! :D I'm a guitarist, not Mark Tremonti, but just getting into about my fourth year of it. When you take an interest in an instrument, in school band or whatever, you gain an entirely different perspective of music, it's composition, it's effort and the skill required to produce true music.

Some dude gets a record deal because he can freestyle, the record company gives him an annoying mixtape to work with and with three snaps, he puts out a multi-million dollar album. And 99.99999% of the time, it sucks, IMHO.

royalfan5
3/7/2007, 01:16 AM
I'm sorry if this offends hip-hop fans, but this little site makes me so happy in my pants! :D I'm a guitarist, not Mark Tremonti, but just getting into about my fourth year of it. When you take an interest in an instrument, in school band or whatever, you gain an entirely different perspective of music, it's composition, it's effort and the skill required to produce true music.

Some dude gets a record deal because he can freestyle, the record company gives him an annoying mixtape to work with and with three snaps, he puts out a multi-million dollar album. And 99.99999% of the time, it sucks, IMHO.
I think you lose all music credibility by name checking a member of Creed.

King Crimson
3/7/2007, 01:16 AM
actually, underground hip hop is thriving. the commercial bling stuff who cares.

Ike
3/7/2007, 01:19 AM
the hip-hop music that makes it out into the mainstream hasn't really had anything new to say for about 10 years. Thats it's problem. Honestly, there does exist some good rap music out there, but the only artists that make to the mainstream media are simply regurgitations of each other. The ones that actually have something to say, they never get a recording deal.

silverwheels
3/7/2007, 01:19 AM
Bring back A Tribe Called Quest!

Rhino
3/7/2007, 01:21 AM
There aren't many mainstream musicians that write their own music anymore.

And like King Crimson said, indie hip-hop is blowing up.

royalfan5
Bring back A Tribe Called Quest!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YasjfkbPOpE

bri
Is this the part where I name-check mc chris? ;)

jacru
3/7/2007, 01:24 AM
actually, underground hip hop is thriving. the commercial bling stuff who cares.
Stay underground. About 6 feet.

silverwheels
3/7/2007, 01:25 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YasjfkbPOpE

Classic. :)

At least Q-Tip is going to release a new solo album this year (hopefully).

King Crimson
3/7/2007, 01:32 AM
http://radio1190.colorado.edu/%7Eschoi/02-03-07.mp3

bri
3/7/2007, 01:37 AM
Stay underground. About 6 feet.

Hey, why don't you tell us to get haircuts and stay off your lawn while you're at it?

jacru
3/7/2007, 01:42 AM
Hey, why don't you tell us to get haircuts and stay off your lawn while you're at it?
get a haircut and stay off my lawn, wigger! ;)

def_lazer_fc
3/7/2007, 04:26 AM
if somehow all the rappers with " lil' " in their name died, and i could get a new ghostface record every year, the world, or at least mine, would be much better off.

3/7/2007, 05:43 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YqFlI602Lbw

Ah lil OLD SCHOO fo ya muthascratchas.

Jerk
3/7/2007, 07:37 AM
it's hard to write, record, or purchase CD's when you're dead or in prison.

H8HOGS
3/7/2007, 08:21 AM
Rap is the only form of "music" below country.

Ash
3/7/2007, 08:25 AM
You guys could all form your own band called the Jealous Caucasians. You're first album could be Bling Envy.

SleestakSooner
3/7/2007, 08:26 AM
get a haircut and stay off my lawn, wigger! ;)

To quote Cindy Lauper, "your true color's shining through". :texan:

King Crimson
3/7/2007, 09:30 AM
"that rock and roll is the debbils music"

C&CDean
3/7/2007, 10:09 AM
"that rock and roll is the debbils music"

Yup. But at least it's actually music.

King Crimson
3/7/2007, 10:20 AM
Yup. But at least it's actually music.

:D that's a pretty good one. seriously.

TUSooner
3/7/2007, 10:27 AM
I'm not going to read that becauze it might only get my hopes up.

yermom
3/7/2007, 10:32 AM
rap is probably going through what rock was in the late 80's/early 90's with the "Hair Bands" and soon some rappers from Seattle will redefine rap and you guys will be crying in your beer again :D

as a somewhat casual listener of rap, i can't stand like any of the new crap i hear

Booty, booty, booty, booty, rockin' everywhere. Booty, booty, booty, booty, rockin' everywhere. Booty, booty, booty, booty, rockin' everywhere.

i mean, really

sitzpinkler
3/7/2007, 10:33 AM

I've been playing guitar for 10 years, piano for 16 years and I've been writing music (orchestral) since I was 15 and I love rap, not so much of the stuff that's out today, but being a musician hasn't made me lose my appreciation of it whatsoever.

BigRedJed
3/7/2007, 10:37 AM
...Booty, booty, booty, booty, rockin' everywhere. Booty, booty, booty, booty, rockin' everywhere. Booty, booty, booty, booty, rockin' everywhere...
:eek:

SOMEBODY WROTE A SONG ABOUT BSG??!!?

yermom
3/7/2007, 10:38 AM
I've been playing guitar for 10 years, piano for 16 years and I've been writing music (orchestral) since I was 15 and I love rap, not so much of the stuff that's out today, but being a musician hasn't made me lose my appreciation of it whatsoever.

it's not a bad medium, there are just a lot of idiots in it

i'm looking at you, Kanye ;)

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/7/2007, 10:40 AM
Heh.

william_brasky
3/7/2007, 11:01 AM
Run DMC was dope.

RIP Jam Master Jay (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=86158210)

silverwheels
3/7/2007, 11:58 AM
rap is probably going through what rock was in the late 80's/early 90's with the "Hair Bands" and soon some rappers from Seattle will redefine rap and you guys will be crying in your beer again :D

Didn't Guns N' Roses kill hair metal first?

MamaMia
3/7/2007, 12:00 PM
My husband wont allow rap in the house, even though there were many times the kids would try to get by with it. I would be in the kitchen cooking dinner when he came home from work. All at once I would hear his truck pull in the drive, the dogs barking and the kids yelling..."Uh oh, Dads home. Turn off the music!" :D

King Crimson
3/7/2007, 12:01 PM
hair metal killed hair metal by sucking so much. i think that's a corollary to Newton's 6th law.

yermom
3/7/2007, 12:06 PM
Didn't Guns N' Roses kill hair metal first?

no, there was still the power ballad suckfest that was Firehouse and Steelheart and various others in the early nineties

silverwheels
3/7/2007, 12:07 PM
hair metal killed hair metal by sucking so much. i think that's a corollary to Newton's 6th law.

Well, yeah, it was going to happen eventually...

Ash
3/7/2007, 12:07 PM

as a somewhat casual listener of rap, i can't stand like any of the new crap i hear

Booty, booty, booty, booty, rockin' everywhere. Booty, booty, booty, booty, rockin' everywhere. Booty, booty, booty, booty, rockin' everywhere.

i mean, really

I believe Ice Cube referred to this as Happy Rap.

I miss Pharcyde and Public Enemy.

Ash
3/7/2007, 12:08 PM
Digital Underground was off the hook!

Tee hee, I said a rap-ism.

tbl
3/7/2007, 12:33 PM
I think you lose all music credibility by name checking a member of Creed.
Post of the hour...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to royalfan5 again.

tbl
3/7/2007, 12:44 PM
I got into rap at just the right time. The gangsta stuff had its place at the beginning, but it blows now. There are only so many ways you can talk about the same things...

One of the best rap songs by one of the best rap groups.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4ayC0x8aDw0
Brothers that try to work it out
They get mad, revolt, revise, realize
They're super bad
Small chance a smart brother's
Gonna be a victim of his own circumstance

Scott D
3/7/2007, 12:51 PM
It's about damn time that (c)Rap got some neg. ****ed me off when some talentless guy makes an album of izzles and shizzles and sells more than someone who actually writes, plays and, oh... I don't know SINGS their own music?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/05/music.rapbacklash.ap/index.html?eref=rss_showbiz

May real music live again.

I could point out a lot of facets where you are wrong, however I won't. Suffice to say, I'm not a fan of a lot of the commercialized stuff that gets overplayed by the Clearchannel conglomerate.

However there are more rap musicians that can play instruments and compose songs than pop artists that do.

yermom
3/7/2007, 12:52 PM
Scott happens to like all the izzles and shizzles ;)

Scott D
3/7/2007, 12:54 PM
Scott happens to like all the izzles and shizzles ;)

You know the guy who got Mr. Izzles and Shizzles started as a star can play 3 instruments and arranges compositions for more than just individuals on the Aftermath label right?

sooneron
3/7/2007, 12:59 PM
Corporap sucks.
How much can you talk about ***, dubs, spinnaz, kristal, bling, and bentleys?

I'll take De La Soul ANYDAY.

royalfan5
3/7/2007, 01:03 PM
Corporap sucks.
How much can you talk about ***, dubs, spinnaz, kristal, bling, and bentleys?

I'll take De La Soul ANYDAY.
Corpo-anything musical sucks.

SoonerProphet
3/7/2007, 01:19 PM
Ain't a damn thing wrong with listening to The Roots.

yermom
3/7/2007, 01:29 PM
You know the guy who got Mr. Izzles and Shizzles started as a star can play 3 instruments and arranges compositions for more than just individuals on the Aftermath label right?

Dre?

i actually really like The Chronic, but it is a TOTAL George Clinton ripoff

yermom
3/7/2007, 01:30 PM
Ain't a damn thing wrong with listening to The Roots.

i really like some of their stuff

King Crimson
3/7/2007, 01:35 PM
Dre?

Public Enemy is a total James Brown ripoff. Paul's Boutique is a Sly and the Family Stone ripoff. it ain't a ripoff, everybody steals. Cream and Zep and Stones had the audacity to rerecord blues numbers without crediting the original artists. in that, they are a lot like Herman's Hermit's wonder breading the great Sam Cooke.

Star Wars is a Kurosawa ripoff. that's art.

Scott D
3/7/2007, 02:05 PM
Dre?

There's a lot of music that you could say ripped off elements of music that came before it. Hell, entire modern genres are essentially total ripoffs of previous genres centuries ago.

yermom
3/7/2007, 02:13 PM
i guess ripoff is a strong word, but i just think it's odd that it seems like everything on the whole album comes from his stuff.

like i said, i really like it, i just didn't know at the time it was borrowing from something so heavily

King Crimson
3/7/2007, 02:15 PM
i guess ripoff is a strong word, but i just think it's odd that it seems like everything on the whole album comes from his stuff.

like i said, i really like it, i just didn't know at the time it was borrowing from something so heavily

it ain't borrowing, was Woody Woodpecker borrowing from Charlie Parker? Was Charlie Parker borrowing from Woody Woodpecker?

though, in truth....the best jazz birds out there are ruby chested finches in the morning.....they can play.

bri
3/7/2007, 02:35 PM
It makes me sad that we had to besmirch the good name of Bubba Sparxxx in this thread.