PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Star Wars Movie?

Octavian
3/6/2007, 11:32 PM
of the original trilogy?

I'm watching ROTJ right now (on HBO) for about the eleventy bazillionth time in my life. I can pretty much recite every line of the original movies as I watch them...but anytime I see of 'em on tv, I usually still tune in.

Obviously the original trilogy is lightyears (pun intended) ahead of the new one. But if the new trilogy had a major contribution to the saga, it's that I think it really strengthened Jedi.

But what about the original trilogy? All classics, but how would you rank them?

SoonerGirl06
3/6/2007, 11:36 PM
Star Wars is the best one out of the series.

royalfan5
3/6/2007, 11:38 PM
ANH is probably my favorite, followed closely by ESB. For me it's a little like asking me which NU national title I liked the most. I mean they all kick ***, but the Ewoks in ROTJ is like having to share with Michigan.

Octavian
3/6/2007, 11:40 PM
ANH is probably my favorite, followed closely by ESB. For me it's a little like asking me which NU national title I liked the most. I mean they all kick ***, but the Ewoks in ROTJ is like having to share with Michigan.

:D

setem
3/6/2007, 11:41 PM
Return of the King was the best one! Revolutions is my 2nd fav!

soonerbrat
3/6/2007, 11:43 PM
the original Star Wars is my favorite...and i don't like the "enhancements" they made with the CGI and the extra added scenes..

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2007, 11:45 PM
Empire. No contest.

Coincidentally, Lucas allowed someone else to direct.

Or maybe NOT a coincidence...

A New Hope was excellent as well, but HAN SHOT FIRST, damn it!

sooneron
3/6/2007, 11:58 PM
Empire. No contest.

Coincidentally, Lucas allowed someone else to direct.

Or maybe NOT a coincidence...

A New Hope was excellent as well, but HAN SHOT FIRST, damn it!
Concur

Empire friggin rawks. Frank Oz should have been up for best supporting actor.

Boarder
3/7/2007, 12:02 AM
1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. Star Wars
3. Return Of The Jedi

ALthough, they're all cool...IN THE ORIGINAL FORM!

I have seen them on HBO here recently and get enraged at the crappy crapperton crap that has been added into it. One of the things I absolutely hate about the new ones is when there is a background, it's like there's a hundred thousand little ships going like bees in the background. It's annoying and distracting. Well, lo and behold, what was added into the old ones? A bunch of little ships going everywhere in the background.

That's just one thing. The Han not shooting first thing is just sad. And Jabba meeting with Han in Star Wars.

I'm just going to stop now.

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2007, 12:03 AM
More to expound on Han shooting first:

Lucas' altering the film so that Greedo shot first totally undermines something essential about Han Solo's character. Han is supposed to be morally ambiguous. He's a smuggler for goodness' sake, and it's pretty easy to figure out that he was smuggling drugs for the Hutt. He's NOT a nice guy, even though he has an underlying conscience.

Han had the drop on Greedo, even though Greedo didn't know it. Not shooting as soon as he could would waste his only advantage.

Boarder
3/7/2007, 12:05 AM
Not only was it conceptually stupid, the actual scene is pathetic.

When you watch it, check out how much Han is EXACTLY like Sawyer from Lost.

sooneron
3/7/2007, 12:06 AM
And Jabba meeting with Han in Star Wars.

I'm just going to stop now.
Well, that WAS originally shot, Lucas didn't like the development of what Jabba looked like.

I did like it better without him though as it added some mystique.

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2007, 12:09 AM

I'd buy that. In fact, I'm sure someone somewhere is writing a thesis paper comparing Han Solo/Luke Skywalker/Princess Leia to Sawyer/Jack/Kate.

Now, here's my deal on how the Trilogy could have been improved:

Emphasize the fact that the Rebel Alliance was comprised of the dregs of society along with the noble Mon Mothma, Princess Leia, and Bail Organa. In other words, crooks, liars, etc-the kind of people that always accrete to ANY rebel organization.

Boarder
3/7/2007, 12:09 AM
Wasn't Han and Jabba's lines the same as Han and Greedo's two scenes before? It was rank. There's a reason they have outtakes and editing.

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2007, 12:10 AM
Han and Jabba wouldn't have bothered me if they hadn't included the guy stepping on Jabba's tail and having him do a spit-take. Up to that, I was OK with it.

sooneron
3/7/2007, 12:11 AM
Han and Jabba wouldn't have bothered me if they hadn't included the guy stepping on Jabba's tail and having him do a spit-take. Up to that, I was OK with it.
Yep, that's when they Jar Jar'ed it.

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2007, 12:15 AM
If any of you haven't done this yet, by the way, and would like to get a glimpse of how great Star Wars could have been (and for all I bitch, it was still great) go rent Firefly. Joss Whedon understands how space opera should work.

Pricetag
3/7/2007, 12:27 AM
Wasn't Han and Jabba's lines the same as Han and Greedo's two scenes before? It was rank. There's a reason they have outtakes and editing.
Even I get boarded sometimes. (no pun intended)

I'm fine with the idea of Han being morally ambiguous, but I don't see how anyone not massively overthinking things could have had a problem with Han shooting first. Greedo told him he was going to kill him. That should be carte blanch for a pre-emptive strike in anyone's book.

soonerboomer93
3/7/2007, 12:34 AM
ESB is the best

and yeah, Han shot first

(FU Lucas)

King Crimson
3/7/2007, 12:35 AM
If any of you haven't done this yet, by the way, and would like to get a glimpse of how great Star Wars could have been (and for all I bitch, it was still great) go rent Firefly. Joss Whedon understands how space opera should work.

i have Serenity on a DVD-R but haven't watched it. there's some connection between that and Firefly is there not?

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2007, 12:39 AM
i have Serenity on a DVD-R but haven't watched it. there's some connection between that and Firefly is there not?

Yes. Watch the Firefly series first. Otherwise, Serenity isn't going to make a hell of a lot of sense.

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2007, 12:40 AM
Even I get boarded sometimes. (no pun intended)

I'm fine with the idea of Han being morally ambiguous, but I don't see how anyone not massively overthinking things could have had a problem with Han shooting first. Greedo told him he was going to kill him. That should be carte blanch for a pre-emptive strike in anyone's book.

I don't think anyone had a problem with Han shooting first except for the Flanneled One.

GottaHavePride
3/7/2007, 12:42 AM

I told PG at some point as a screenwriting exercise she should re-write the whole Star Wars story arc - all six episodes - the way they SHOULD have been written.

Oddly enough, I think Empire would need very few changes if that sort of a project happened.

***WARNING: ENTERING GEEK MODE***

for instance: I think there's a lot more ambiguity to Yoda's character than Lucas felt comfortable exploring. I mean, it seems that the Sith are necessary to the functioning of the Jedi. Without the Sith to focus on as an enemy the Jedi would (likely) turn on each other and/or become convined that they would do better just ruling themselves due to their moral superiority. They'd turn into theocratic despots. The existence of the Sith keeps them on guard against ideas like that, though.

so: where did the Sith come from? How does Yoda KNOW there are always only two? More to the point: when one Sith was destroyed (Darth Maul) they were in danger of the Sith line not having a successor and Yoda (aand the rest of the Jedi Council) DELIBERATELY placed Anakin in a position that would expose him to an extremely powerful and persuasive Sith Lord. Yoda seems to know a lot about the Sith - I doubt he was truly unaware of Palpatine's identity. It seems Yoda saw the instability of anakin and used him to ensure that the Sith and Jedi would remain opposing forces rather than one side or the other completely eliminating the competition.

That's an angle Lucas was completely unwilling to explore because it would disrupt his shiny happy image of the Jedi.

And if any of you make any money off that idea I'm suing your asses. :mad:

Ok, not really. ;)

Bastages. :mad:

;)

:pop:

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2007, 12:48 AM
OK, fair enough. :D

Lucas also left it ambiguous as to whether Luke was the fulfillment of the prophecy or Anakin was. To me, Anakin DID bring balance to the Force-he killed off all but two Jedi (Yoda and Obi Wan) and became a Sith Lord-one of only two. Sometime bringing balance isn't good, you know?

I think you have some good points about the Jedi turning on themselves. There's some hints of that in Attack of the Clones.

Octavian
3/7/2007, 12:50 AM
I told PG at some point as a screenwriting exercise she should re-write the whole Star Wars story arc - all six episodes - the way they SHOULD have been written.

Ive actually thought about that too...just not the PG part.

Oddly enough, I think Empire would need very few changes if that sort of a project happened.

agreed....ESB is hands-down my favorite.

***WARNING: ENTERING GEEK MODE***

for instance: I think there's a lot more ambiguity to Yoda's character than Lucas felt comfortable exploring. I mean, it seems that the Sith are necessary to the functioning of the Jedi. Without the Sith to focus on as an enemy the Jedi would (likely) turn on each other and/or become convined that they would do better just ruling themselves due to their moral superiority. They'd turn into theocratic despots. The existence of the Sith keeps them on guard against ideas like that, though.

so: where did the Sith come from? How does Yoda KNOW there are always only two? More to the point: when one Sith was destroyed (Darth Maul) they were in danger of the Sith line not having a successor and Yoda (aand the rest of the Jedi Council) DELIBERATELY placed Anakin in a position that would expose him to an extremely powerful and persuasive Sith Lord. Yoda seems to know a lot about the Sith - I doubt he was truly unaware of Palpatine's identity. It seems Yoda saw the instability of anakin and used him to ensure that the Sith and Jedi would remain opposing forces rather than one side or the other completely eliminating the competition.

That's an angle Lucas was completely unwilling to explore because it would disrupt his shiny happy image of the Jedi.

And if any of you make any money off that idea I'm suing your asses. :mad:

Ok, not really. ;)

Bastages. :mad:

;)

:pop:

Yoda also trained Dooku....and Qui Gon had Sith written all over him.

I think I'll start working on the manuscript. ;)

Octavian
3/7/2007, 12:54 AM
Lucas also left it ambiguous as to whether Luke was the fulfillment of the prophecy or Anakin was.

My interpretation was that Anakin eventually achieved the Balance through the killing of Palpatine...combined with Jedi renaissance produced by his offspring.

edit: of course, we're all probably grasping for straws that GL never even pondered while thinking of new ways to market his Lego Wars line...

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2007, 12:56 AM
Still balance at that point. No Sith left. No Jedi left. Luke wasn't really a Jedi-he didn't have ANY kind of discipline whatsoever and let his emotions run away WAY too often.

Octavian
3/7/2007, 01:00 AM
Still balance at that point. No Sith left. No Jedi left. Luke wasn't really a Jedi-he didn't have ANY kind of discipline whatsoever and let his emotions run away WAY too often.

yeah...the new trilogy created so many inconsistencies, its hard to imagine that GL spent as much time as the fanbase thinking about the major conceptual ideas of the saga

Octavian
3/7/2007, 01:02 AM
...ESB is hands-down my favorite.

back to the original topic though....maybe "hands down" is a little too strong.

ESB is my favorite, but each has its strengths

KC//CRIMSON
3/7/2007, 01:40 AM
Empire.

Xstnlsooner
3/7/2007, 08:47 AM
I liked "Debbie Does Dallas" best!! :D

May the SWARTZ be with you!

fadada1
3/7/2007, 09:21 AM
who here didn't think carrie fisher was serious "heat" in all three????

besides that, i think they should make one that's "RATED R". get away from all the kiddie crap and make a good movie. ANH and ESB are great. ROTJ was great until the ewoks. too much kid stuff driven my marketing and peripheral sales of silly sh!t.

crawfish
3/7/2007, 09:28 AM

I think you mean "Sawyer from Lost is exactly like Han".

And, thinking of it that way makes the "fake wookie prisoner" comment so much funnier. :D

yermom
3/7/2007, 09:28 AM
Empire.

blasphemy.

as a kid it was Jedi, i mean i was like 8 when it came out, i LIKED the Ewoks. not to mention i had to wait 3 years as a kid for it to come out. that's like an eternity

now it's Empire, now that i can see that all Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets ;)

crawfish
3/7/2007, 09:38 AM
Lucas also left it ambiguous as to whether Luke was the fulfillment of the prophecy or Anakin was. To me, Anakin DID bring balance to the Force-he killed off all but two Jedi (Yoda and Obi Wan) and became a Sith Lord-one of only two. Sometime bringing balance isn't good, you know?

Yeah, I've always laughed at that. Bringing balance isn't really a good thing when the balance is in your favor. :D

yermom
3/7/2007, 12:39 PM
yeah, i never really understood the "bring balance to the force" thing

i mean, there were tons of Jedi and what, like 3 Sith at the time?

sooneron
3/7/2007, 12:48 PM
yeah, i never really understood the "bring balance to the force" thing

i mean, there were tons of Jedi and what, like 3 Sith at the time?
I think some of that can be chalked up to the Sith not necessarily playing by the rules- using deception etc...

sooneron
3/7/2007, 12:48 PM
If you lose the ewoks from ROTJ, the movie rawked. Great saber fight, good dogfights. Oh yeah, lose Ackbar too.

http://elitemrp.net/iat/examples/cage.jpg

LOL!
http://elitemrp.net/iat/previews.htm

KC//CRIMSON
3/7/2007, 12:50 PM
Obi Wan's cloak sells for $104,000

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=254175&GT1=7701

skycat
3/7/2007, 12:54 PM
ANH is the best Star Wars movie, if you're going to pick only one. Easily. TESB doesn't really stand on it's own all that well, as the middle chapter of the series, but it is indeed a fantastic film.

The Special Editions overall improve the experience of the films, although there are a couple of drawbacks to them. Greedo shooting first sucks, but not because of any character altering that it does, but because the scene looks like crap overall.

Ackbar was an shall ever be perhaps my favorite "minor" Star Wars character.

Firefly the series is spectacular. Serenity the movie is okay at best.

Did I leave anything out?

skycat
3/7/2007, 01:00 PM
Yeah, I did miss one.

It's pretty clear to me that Lucas thinks that balance is brought to the force when the Sith are removed from the galaxy.

The prophecy is only fulfilled when both Sith practioners are killed at more or less the same time. Confronting the Sith serves as Luke's "trial" and afterword he finally is "The Return of the Jedi".

Boarder
3/7/2007, 01:00 PM
The Special Editions overall improve the experience of the films, although there are a couple of drawbacks to them.

WHAT?!?!!

skycat
3/7/2007, 01:01 PM
WHAT?!?!!

We've done this before.

So all I'll say is, clearly you're still wrong.:D

KC//CRIMSON
3/7/2007, 01:01 PM
blasphemy.

as a kid it was Jedi, i mean i was like 8 when it came out, i LIKED the Ewoks. not to mention i had to wait 3 years as a kid for it to come out. that's like an eternity

now it's Empire, now that i can see that all Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets ;)

When I was a kid, I stood in line for five hours on opening day in Tulsa to see ESB. It was the single screen movie theater across from the Promenade on Yale. The line was wrapped around the theater twice! We got in on the first show and liked it so much we stayed in the theater and watched it again.:D

skycat
3/7/2007, 01:04 PM
Oh, and like yermom, as a kid Jedi was easily my favorite. I did like the Ewoks, but it was mostly my favorite because there was more big battles than the earlier two films.

And as a kid, I did like me some space battles.

KC//CRIMSON
3/7/2007, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by skycat
The Special Editions overall improve the experience of the films, although there are a couple of drawbacks to them.

Blasphemy! Were you a big fan of Crystal Pepsi too?

skycat
3/7/2007, 01:18 PM
Blasphemy! Were you a big fan of Crystal Pepsi too?

Greedo shooting first sucks. Han stepping on Jabba's tail sucks. Other than that, the changes are positive.

I guess when it comes to Star Wars, I'm a glass half-full kind of guy.

I can even "see the good" in the PT.;)

Boarder
3/7/2007, 02:13 PM
I don't want to ban myself for calling you names so I'll stop.

yermom
3/7/2007, 02:18 PM
the only good thing about the Special Editions was getting to see the Holy Trilogy in the theater again

the only good thing George Lucas has done in the last 10 years was to release the theatrical versions on DVD

skycat
3/7/2007, 02:45 PM
the only good thing George Lucas has done in the last 10 years was to release the theatrical versions on DVD

I'm glad that he released those, but...

I went out and bought the theatrical versions, but when I want a dose of Star Wars, I still pop in the SE.

And when my kid is old enough, he certainly is going to see the SE the first time he sees Star Wars.

Boarder
3/7/2007, 03:04 PM
I'm calling DHS

yermom
3/7/2007, 03:06 PM
yeah :mad:

skycat
3/7/2007, 03:08 PM
You're all a bunch of Star Wars reactionaries.:mad:

yermom
3/7/2007, 03:10 PM
i prefer the term "purist" :D

Pricetag
3/7/2007, 06:37 PM
Greedo shooting first sucks. Han stepping on Jabba's tail sucks. Other than that, the changes are positive.

I guess when it comes to Star Wars, I'm a glass half-full kind of guy.

I can even "see the good" in the PT.;)
Are you speaking of the 1997 Special Editions, or the ones released on DVD? Because farking Hayden's head on Anakin's ghost at the end of ROTJ blows Greedo and Jabba out of the water.

yermom
3/8/2007, 12:08 AM
ahh, the new Special Special Editions :D

Octavian
3/8/2007, 12:15 AM

The animated Clone Wars was pretty cool....at times, I liked it better than the prequels