PDA

View Full Version : What are some of your favorite coach...

SoonerJLB
3/6/2007, 05:15 PM
speak,sayings or quotes by the 3 Bs (Bud, Barry or Bob) or any coach?

A couple of mine by the King are:

"Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple".

"It was like a heart transplant. We tried to implant college in him but his head rejected it".

From Bob Stoops
"I am not at all questioning the call, … But we thought we had it, then we didn’t". (Regarding the infamous Oregon bad calls)

sanantoniosooner
3/6/2007, 05:25 PM
It's water under the dam

yermom
3/6/2007, 05:35 PM
No question.

Paperclip
3/6/2007, 05:41 PM
I think we can find a guy to catch 8 balls.

buffalobill989
3/6/2007, 05:44 PM
i dont care how bad the officiating gets dont throw anything on the court
billy tubbs:D

DeadSolidPerfect
3/6/2007, 05:56 PM
"Men, you better learn to hate Chandler cause they sure as hell hate you."
"Chandler is full of snobs and retards."

My high school position coach didn't care much for Chandler. For that matter neither did I. But it was 20 years ago

CrimsonChampion
3/6/2007, 06:19 PM
IT'S DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

soonerdave79
3/6/2007, 06:24 PM
"There are no mulligans in football"

Collier11
3/6/2007, 06:48 PM
arent there like 5 other threads about this topic...JUST SAYIN!!!

MamaMia
3/6/2007, 07:34 PM
Let me guess. Uhmmm....Parcels! Am I right? :D

SoonerJLB
3/6/2007, 07:36 PM

I didn't see any other ones in the last 5 pages of threads. You must be thinking the the BSU threads.:rolleyes:

OK2LA
3/6/2007, 08:47 PM
He's no Sooner, but it's still good -

"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail."

- John Wooden

mikeelikee
3/6/2007, 09:10 PM
The notoriously funny coach John McCay, early in the history of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter after another ugly loss, "What do you think of your team's execution?", replied, totally deadpanned, "I think it's an excellent idea." :D

setem
3/6/2007, 09:14 PM
"I would like to announce the new Head Football Coach here at Oklahoma... Bob Stoops" - Boren or Joe C or whoever announced him as the new coach.

I am sure it went something like that!

AlbqSooner
3/6/2007, 10:25 PM
"No, I only have one goal in life. To get my name on the water tower in Walters, Oklahoma."

Abe Lemons when asked if taking OCU to an undefeated 30-0 regular season had been a life long goal of his.

"You know Howie, I understand that you are all the rage in New York City, but do you understand that in Walters, Oklahoma you ain't S***?"

Abe Lemons to Howard Cosell after Cosell dissed him in front of a bunch of coaches at the NIT.

Collier11
3/7/2007, 12:05 AM
Let me guess. Uhmmm....Parcels! Am I right? :D
BINGO!!!

goingoneight
3/7/2007, 12:08 AM
"What do you mean 'WE'?!? Buddy, don't come on here referring to TEXAS as 'WE,' okay?

guess...

MichiganSooner
3/7/2007, 09:08 AM
Michigan basketball coach Bill Frieder went into the AD's office just before the NCAA tourney began and said that he had just accepted the head coaching job at Arizona State but would coach Michigan during the tourney and then be leaving.

The AD was Bo Schembechler. Bo fired him immediately. Bo said, "A Michigan man will coach a Michigan team".

He promoted the assisant coach to Interim Head Coach who led Michigan to the national championship of that year's tournament.

The rest of the story. Then I moved to Oklahoma and became a Sooner.

MichiganSooner
3/7/2007, 09:12 AM
"One team is ranked #1 and the other is a darn good team. We are going to find out which is which".

limey_sooner
3/7/2007, 09:14 AM
I know its sacrilege, but John McKay always cracked me up.

* On the execution of the Bucs offense: ``I think it's a good idea.''

* On why he rarely had bed checks: ``You usually wind up staying up all night, or until your best player comes in.''

* On the significance of experience: ``If you have everyone back from a team that lost 10 games, experience isn't too important.''

* On place-kicker Pete Rajecki having a bad camp with the Bucs because McKay made him nervous: ``I don't think he's got much of a future here, because I plan on going to all the games.''

* On the Bucs' 42-0 loss to Pittsburgh on a very cold day: ``I remember in Pittsburgh we had no players and the ones we did have wanted to stay at the hotel by the fire. I was ticked because that's where I wanted to stand.''

* On the importance of an older quarterback's mobility: ``As a person gets older he doesn't get faster. Our quarterback will run from fright or lack of protection.''

* On fan mail he received as a Tampa Bay coach: ``It was about three-to-one that I was not an SOB. But there were a lot of ones.''

* On why coaching an expansion team is a religious experience: ``You do a lot of praying, but most of the time the answer is `No.' ''

* On O.J. Simpson carrying the ball 47 times in a USC game: `` He doesn't belong to a union. Anyway, the ball doesn't weigh that much.''

* On blocking strategy: ``Hold when you're at home and don't hold when you're on the road.''

* On his disdain for the Packers: ``If a contest had 97 prizes, the 98th would be a trip to Green Bay.''

* On opening days: ``Opening games make me nervous. To tell the truth, I'd rather open with our second game.''

* On training camp: ``It's shattering when a player loses interest in camp. When you lose your desire to stand around and eat steaks, you lose everything.''

* Asked if Lynn Cain of the Atlanta Falcons was ready to play against the Bucs: ``Let me know if Cain is able.''

Fraggle145
3/7/2007, 09:38 AM
You cant make chicken salad out of chicken ****... Bob Knight

StuIsTheMan
3/7/2007, 03:44 PM
Bud had some of the best...

(Hey Bomar listen up)
“If a team is to reach its potential, each player must be willing to subordinate his personal goals to the good of the team.”

"Losing is easy. It's not enjoyable, but it's easy.”

My favorite..

“Football, in its purest form, remains a physical fight. As in any fight, if you don't want to fight, it's impossible to win.”

A few from the King...

"Let's go hang a quick half hundred on em...and go home"

“The key to his success? He's just faster than the guys who are chasing him.”

“The one thing I wonder about is that those three guys in the review box. I know that all of them have prostate problems, because all three of them had to go to the bathroom at the same time and miss Vince Young putting his knee on the ground.”

"You're a great player. I love you.”

And I know I'll get neg for this but...

"How 'bout them Cowboys"

And of course our current Monarch...

"We were taking an Knee"

When signing AD...

"I think this kid is going to be special"

and my favorite...

Screaming "Holy $hit" in Mikeys ear after the clock ran out on Florida State...Man what I wouldn't give to see him let loose again like he did on that night...I think I'll end it there...

theboz44
3/7/2007, 05:37 PM
"Just go out there and out-athlete'em!!!"

Octavian
3/7/2007, 06:45 PM
Open! -Barry Switzer, when asked by a reporter on the whereabouts of Keith Jackson following an OU blowout victory. Jackson caught several touchdowns that day.

I felt like the Polish people when Hitler was coming, -Iowa St. coach Jim Walden, following an OU 56-3 win in 1987.

I was hoping God would be neutral, -DKR, after seeing a sign on his way to the "Game of the Century" against Arkansas in 1969. The sign mentioned how God was on the Razorbacks' side.

No. Not for me, -Barry Switzer, when asked if his '87 Sooners' 47-12 win over Texas was too much of a blowout.

We tried to give it to 'em....and they couldn't take it! -Switzer, addressing his team following OU's miraculous 1983 comeback win in Stillwater.

That oughtta keep 'em happy for another twenty years, -Switzer, looking over at the OSU section of fans following the Cowboys' lone win against him in 1976.

Ya gotta believe, people. We've done it to 'em so many times they think it's gonna happen. And we know it's gonna happen! -Switzer's postgame lockerroom speech, following another Sooner Magic comeback win over Nebraska in Lincoln, 1986.

Who the hell didn't catch one out there?! -Switzer, addressing his team after OU intercepted a school record-tying seven UT passes in the 1987 RRS.

And the best part is, we didn't use university stationary. So that way, the NCAA won't have to conduct an investigation, -Switzer, commenting on Jamelle Holieway sending out 500 Christmas cards which read "Happy Holieways."

The players don't mind. We'll practice, but we'll still have Christmas. Santa Claus is gonna come and he'll bring presents. Ya know...Jaguars, Mercedes, -Switzer, joking with reporters about OU's bowl game practice schedule before the 1988 Orange Bowl matchup with Miami.

Nonsense. At Oklahoma, we throw the ball to keep the score down, -Switzer, responding to accusations that he was running up the score on his alma mater after letting his 3rd string quarterback throw the ball in the 4th quarter. OU beat Arkansas, 42-8.

Well, I guess ya gotta say somthin.' Some people would rather sit around and pick guitars with their country music buddies than bust their butt on the recruiting trail, -Switz, responding to accusations from DKR about unethical recruiting practices.

Rogue
3/10/2007, 11:01 PM
I love me some Yogi-isms (http://www.rinkworks.com/said/yogiberra.shtml)