PDA

View Full Version : New $1 coins

skycat
3/6/2007, 11:51 AM
So I just got a forwarded email from a distant family member (on this family yahoo group thing that I usually never reply to, as it's mostly one uncle of mine and his kids that use it) asking for the boycott of the new $1 presidential coins.

My first reaction was, "There are new $1 coins?" My second was to reply to the message saying how silly it was. Which was undoubtedly a mistake.

But anyway, the reason for the desired boycott was the lack of the phrase "In God we Trust" on the coinage. How dare those Godless Heathens deface our money!

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Business/WX10302111017_sp.jpeg
http://www.usmint.gov/images/mint_programs/$1coin/picPresRev.jpg

I thought that something fishy was going on because I noticed that the images didn't have "E Pluribus Unum" or the year they were minted either. I guessed that the pictures were fakes. But apparently the US Mint got a new toy, because these new coins are the first to feature "edge-incused inscriptions".

http://www.usmint.gov/images/mint_programs/$1coin/EdgeIncused.jpg

So never fear, you will still be renewing your faith every time you fork over one of these to buy a bottle of Coke at the convenience store.

The only problem was I was a kinda sarcastic in my reply email, which will probably get me labeled as a Godless Heathen myself. Usually, I'm pretty good about ignoring stuff like this, but it bugs me when people forward that stuff.

I'm expecting to hear from my mom any time now. :O

royalfan5
3/6/2007, 11:52 AM
Why do we need dollar coins that no uses again?

Osce0la
3/6/2007, 11:53 AM
That's ok, I never forward anything that says "pass this on or you are denying God"...

skycat
3/6/2007, 11:58 AM
Why do we need dollar coins that no uses again?

"They" say we'd save a bunch of money if we ever got people changed over to dollar coins, from dollar bills. Of course, this never works, and these coins are going to be the same size and composition as the Sacagawea coin. Strike one.

I think they're banking on the fact that they're going to do one for each president to get people interested in collecting them, and hoping that gets them to take off.:rolleyes:

royalfan5
3/6/2007, 12:02 PM
"They" say we'd save a bunch of money if we ever got people changed over to dollar coins, from dollar bills. Of course, this never works, and these coins are going to be the same size and composition as the Sacagawea coin. Strike one.

I think they're banking on the fact that they're going to do one for each president to get people interested in collecting them, and hoping that gets them to take off.:rolleyes:
I actually used the Sacagawea coins in Law School because the change machine in the vending area gave them out. If I knew all vending machines would take them I would probably use them more, and/or if they actually circulated. Also I bet strippers are anti-dollar coins. Somebody making it rain with a $1000 in coins could cause injuries.

skycat
3/6/2007, 12:04 PM
I actually used the Sacagawea coins in Law School because the change machine in the vending area gave them out. If I knew all vending machines would take them I would probably use them more, and/or if they actually circulated. Also I bet strippers are anti-dollar coins. Somebody making it rain with a $1000 in coins could cause injuries.

Actually, I bet stippers are on board. No dollar bills mean that the cheapskates have to move up to fivers.

Unless of course the stippers are hard-core states-rights believer inners.

HoserSooner
3/6/2007, 12:04 PM
When we switched to the "Loonie" years ago, people were ****ed at the idea too. But after awhile, you get used to it and find it quite funny now when I visit the US to carry around $1 bills.

I know the one reason they initially gave, was that the coins last longer than the bills, saving the mint a lot of money.

Just please give it a better name than "Loonie" :(

Hamhock
3/6/2007, 12:05 PM
That's ok, I never forward anything that says "pass this on or you are denying God"...

Why do you hate baby Jesus?

royalfan5
3/6/2007, 12:06 PM
Actually, I bet stippers are on board. No dollar bills mean that the cheapskates have to move up to fivers.

Unless of course the stippers are hard-core states-rights believer inners.
Personally, I haven't ever seen a stripper worth 5 bucks.

skycat
3/6/2007, 12:07 PM
When we switched to the "Loonie" years ago, people were ****ed at the idea too. But after awhile, you get used to it and find it quite funny now when I visit the US to carry around $1 bills.

I know the one reason they initially gave, was that the coins last longer than the bills, saving the mint a lot of money.

Just please give it a better name than "Loonie" :(

Seriously though, the best part about those coins is the name. Who doesn't want a pocket full of Loonies?

Mixer!
3/6/2007, 12:07 PM
So will strippers start carrying around little coin purses on their...hips? ;)

fadada1
3/6/2007, 12:10 PM
i'd like to see a stripper pick up a coin with her "bujenga". that is talent, my friends.

just don't pull this trick at sugar's. :eek:

frankensooner
3/6/2007, 12:13 PM
So the stamp machine at the post office is going to give these to me as change?

skycat
3/6/2007, 12:14 PM
So the stamp machine at the post office is going to give these to me as change?

Probably

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2007, 12:21 PM
I've got 500 of the damn things in my vault. I can't give 'em away.

SoonerStormchaser
3/6/2007, 12:22 PM
I'll take em off your hands, Mike!

tbl
3/6/2007, 12:24 PM
They ought to stop *****footing around and just force the change on us.

royalfan5
3/6/2007, 12:26 PM
That'll give Sic'em a stroke though.

TheUnnamedSooner
3/6/2007, 12:26 PM
I Also I bet strippers are anti-dollar coins.

In Canada, they use $1 coins. Believe me, it's amazing what they can do with those coins :)

skycat
3/6/2007, 12:32 PM
I've got 500 of the damn things in my vault. I can't give 'em away.

I don't think you're trying hard enough.

Try a Canadian strip club.

Osce0la
3/6/2007, 12:34 PM
Why do you hate baby Jesus?
We've been over this on this board before...I don't hate baby Jesus, apparently I hate God (there is a thread on this somewhere on this board but the search isn't working for me)...

colleyvillesooner
3/6/2007, 12:35 PM
In Canada, they use $1 coins. Believe me, it's amazing what they can do with those coins :)

I think they call them Loonies. ;)

Jeopardude
3/6/2007, 12:38 PM
i'd like to see a stripper pick up a coin with her "bujenga". that is talent, my friends.

just don't pull this trick at sugar's. :eek:

There are strippers at Suger's who could pick up an ATM with their birth holes. :eek:

fadada1
3/6/2007, 12:46 PM
There are strippers at Suger's who could pick up an ATM with their birth holes. :eek:
nice visual.

:pop:

HoserSooner
3/6/2007, 12:49 PM

Yeah, but up here they go completely nekkid, so there isn't anywhere to stick them....

OK, I think I'll stop there.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
3/6/2007, 01:04 PM

There is rootbeer all over my keyboard now, thanks!:D

IronSooner
3/6/2007, 01:10 PM

And yet, people still go there in sufficient numbers to report things like this. :confused: ;)

Tulsa_Fireman
3/6/2007, 01:13 PM
Yeah, but up here they go completely nekkid, so there isn't anywhere to stick them....

Sure there is.

But the day they start makin' change is the day you should worry.

Hamhock
3/6/2007, 01:23 PM
We've been over this on this board before...I don't hate baby Jesus, apparently I hate God (there is a thread on this somewhere on this board but the search isn't working for me)...

admit it. You hate baby Jesus, laying in his crib, watching his Baby Einstein videos, learning his shapes and colors.

skycat
3/6/2007, 01:24 PM
I like to think of Jesus as a mischievous badger.

TUSooner
3/6/2007, 01:32 PM
Exactly. I used to be against gettig rid of the dollar bill, but these days the coins make more sense. Get rid of the doallr bills, makes us use the coins, and maybe the $2 bill will make a comeback !!

skycat
3/6/2007, 01:35 PM
Exactly. I used to be against gettig rid of the dollar bill, but these days the coins make more sense. Get rid of the doallr bills, makes us use the coins, and maybe the $2 bill will make a comeback !!

I saw somebody type "queer as a 2 dollar bill" on a message board not too long ago. Which made me feel bad for poor Thomas Jefferson.

Sure, the guy liked "disciplining the servants", but I don't think anyone has ever accused him of being gay.