PDA

View Full Version : Check your DL expiration date

1stTimeCaller
3/6/2007, 04:35 AM
Mine expired on 2-28. A big thanks to the Comanche Police Officer for pointing it out to me tonight. He said he clocked me doing 75 in a 65 and 65 in a 55. He then asked me if I had had any tickets lately. He said if after he ran my DL and nothing came up he'd just let me go. He comes back and asks if someone can pick me up and drive my truck and trailer home as my DL expired the other day. He then wrote me a ticket for expired DL.

I just switched from my TX DL to an OK DL in September. I guess they just reprinted my last OK DL and 'turned it back on'. I was under the impression that I got a 'new one'. Guess I'll get a new one tomorrow.

ps I was not doing 65 in the 55 and I think I was only doing 70 in the 65. Oh well.

SoonerTerry
3/6/2007, 06:10 AM
Why do you hate Henry Ford...

Harry Beanbag
3/6/2007, 06:39 AM
Mine expires 11/30/2036 so I'm good for awhile.

OU4LIFE
3/6/2007, 08:19 AM
I just went ahead and got the lifetime version when I signed up.

man, you're dumb.

slickdawg
3/6/2007, 08:21 AM
You could have acted bi-polar and said "my license is fine officer, 1tc's is expired. I'm going to kill him"

ChickSoonerFan
3/6/2007, 10:54 AM
I had a place that ID me and would not let me in the other day because my license was expired...

I'm 38!!!!!!! I WILL BE 39 soon!!!!

I had my other one with me too though. I keep my expired one as a back up.

Is that legal?

batonrougesooner
3/6/2007, 10:59 AM
It's funny how the minute your license expires the law figures you somehow suddenly forgot how to drive.:confused:

achiro
3/6/2007, 11:02 AM
I was flying to Pittsburgh, PA from Wichita and had an expired license. Had no idea until the 147 year old lady(the same one that was so slow that many people nearly missed their flight, 45 minutes in the line is rediculous) that was checking the licenses pointed it out to me, she wasn't going to let me through the security area!:mad: When she got on the radio to call her supervisor, I just picked up my bag and walked on through.;)
Mine was similar to yours 1tc, I hadn't had the license very long and it expired. I wondered if the chick that typed mine up did't just screw it up and I never caught it.

OSUAggie
3/6/2007, 11:06 AM
Expires 2/28/07. I'm not too worried about it.

MamaMia
3/6/2007, 11:25 AM
Don't worry. Theres a grace period. The same thing happened to me. I went from a red head to a medium brunette with blond hi-lites and decided to change my drivers license. I just assumed that I would have a whole nother how ever many years afterward.

A couple of months later I was stopped for slightly speeding by this good looking highway patrolman between Watonga and Kingfisher. He asked me if I knew my drivers license was expired. I explained that I didn't because I just had a new one made right after I changed my hair color. He gave me one of those warnings and said theres a grace period before you have to take the test again and sent me on my way. Oh, and he said my hair looked real nice. :D

skycat
3/6/2007, 11:26 AM
99% man.:mad:

slickdawg
3/6/2007, 11:33 AM
I had a place that ID me and would not let me in the other day because my license was expired...

I'm 38!!!!!!! I WILL BE 39 soon!!!!

I had my other one with me too though. I keep my expired one as a back up.

Is that legal?

NO

Flagstaffsooner
3/6/2007, 11:39 AM
Mine expires 11/30/2036 so I'm good for awhile.I have many years on my AZ DL too. I wish they would let me take a new pic though.

KABOOKIE
3/6/2007, 11:40 AM
99% man.:mad:

99.97%!

frankensooner
3/6/2007, 11:48 AM
Somebody remind me in 2010 to renew mine. tia.

sooneron
3/6/2007, 11:51 AM
Don't worry. Theres a grace period. The same thing happened to me. I went from a red head to a medium brunette with blond hi-lites and decided to change my drivers license. I just assumed that I would have a whole nother how ever many years afterward.

Somehow I knew you would Mom this up.:D

Osce0la
3/6/2007, 11:52 AM
ps I was not doing 65 in the 55 and I think I was only doing 70 in the 65. Oh well.
pssst...that is still speeding. ;)

tbl
3/6/2007, 12:01 PM
Mine expired on 2-28. A big thanks to the Comanche Police Officer for pointing it out to me tonight. He said he clocked me doing 75 in a 65 and 65 in a 55. He then asked me if I had had any tickets lately. He said if after he ran my DL and nothing came up he'd just let me go. He comes back and asks if someone can pick me up and drive my truck and trailer home as my DL expired the other day. He then wrote me a ticket for expired DL.

I just switched from my TX DL to an OK DL in September. I guess they just reprinted my last OK DL and 'turned it back on'. I was under the impression that I got a 'new one'. Guess I'll get a new one tomorrow.

My hometown... You don't speed on that little 3 mile stretch of 81. So do you live there now?

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2007, 12:24 PM

This kind of thinking drives me bonkers. C'mon, bouncer dude, do you think she got younger because her driver license expired?

I get the same thinking at work from people. They'll tell people their ID isn't valid because it's expired. I tell 'em that I don't care if they're legal to drive or not, I'm just trying to make sure that they're who they say they are-and their name doesn't change when the license expires.

Common sense, people. A foolish consistency and all that.

skycat
3/6/2007, 12:35 PM
This kind of thinking drives me bonkers. C'mon, bouncer dude, do you think she got younger because her driver license expired?

I get the same thinking at work from people. They'll tell people their ID isn't valid because it's expired. I tell 'em that I don't care if they're legal to drive or not, I'm just trying to make sure that they're who they say they are-and their name doesn't change when the license expires.

Common sense, people. A foolish consistency and all that.

To be fair, a lot of the time when a door guy sees an expired ID at a bar/club, that ID originally belonged to someone else. I can see why bars would have a policy to deny expired IDs.

Osce0la
3/6/2007, 12:36 PM
-and their name doesn't change when the license expires.

Actually, my wife's name did change when her license expired. We got married like a month before her license expired so she waited until she got it renewed to have her name changed on it.

Osce0la
3/6/2007, 12:36 PM
To be fair, a lot of the time when a door guy sees an expired ID at a bar/club, that ID originally belonged to someone else. I can see why bars would have a policy to deny expired IDs.
I was just about to make that point. I had a friend that carried his brother's expired license around so he could buy beer and get into bars and such...

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2007, 12:37 PM

To be fair, people borrow other people's non-expired licenses all the time.

If the person doesn't look like the person on the picture, then deny it whether it's expired or not.

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2007, 12:38 PM
Actually, my wife's name did change when her license expired. We got married like a month before her license expired so she waited until she got it renewed to have her name changed on it.

Her name changed when you got married, correct?

So she was just carrying around a license with the wrong name on it.

Sheesh. OK. I'll make an exception for your wife. If she presents me with an expired license, she ain't getting any cash.

What I'm saying is be flipping reasonable.

skycat
3/6/2007, 12:42 PM
To be fair, people borrow other people's non-expired licenses all the time.

If the person doesn't look like the person on the picture, then deny it whether it's expired or not.

You ever work a door on a busy night?

Not as easy as you'd think.

Anything that can make that guy's job easier is ok by me.

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2007, 12:43 PM
As it happens, yes, I have. And I never once looked at an expiration date. If I was suspicious about the license, I'd ask 'em what sign they were. That caught a LOT of them.

But for the record, I've noticed that every hard job I've ever worked got a lot easier when I decided to not be an inflexible prick. Know what I'm saying?

MamaMia
3/6/2007, 12:45 PM
Somehow I knew you would Mom this up.:DThis kinda stuff is right up my alley. :D

skycat
3/6/2007, 12:46 PM
As it happens, yes, I have. And I never once looked at an expiration date. If I was suspicious about the license, I'd ask 'em what sign they were. If I was still suspicious, I'd tell 'em to get lost.

I always looked at the expiration date. In Manhattan, an expired license was almost always somebody elses.

Chalk this one up to a stalemate I guess.

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2007, 12:48 PM
I always looked at the expiration date. In Manhattan, an expired license was almost always somebody elses.

Chalk this one up to a stalemate I guess.

Cool. And for the record, my edit above was not meant to imply that you were an inflexible prick. Different strokes for different folks.

skycat
3/6/2007, 12:48 PM
As it happens, yes, I have. And I never once looked at an expiration date. If I was suspicious about the license, I'd ask 'em what sign they were. That caught a LOT of them.

But for the record, I've noticed that every hard job I've ever worked got a lot easier when I decided to not be an inflexible prick. Know what I'm saying?

Nice edit.

Yeah, better to randomly tell them to get lost because you're "suspicious".

This is one of those things, that no matter how you do it you're going to **** somebody off. In that case, consistency ain't a bad thing in my book.

Edit:

Made this post, after your edit, but before your post. You're right, whatever works, works.

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2007, 12:52 PM
"Randomly" suspicious isn't really what I was getting at.

If the picture didn't look substantially like the person holding the ID, gone.
If the birthdate on the ID didn't reasonably match the person's apparent age, gone.
If the ID was obviously peeled apart and taped back together, gone.

skycat
3/6/2007, 12:54 PM
"Randomly" suspicious isn't really what I was getting at.

If the picture didn't look substantially like the person holding the ID, gone.
If the birthdate on the ID didn't reasonably match the person's apparent age, gone.
If the ID was obviously peeled apart and taped back together, gone.

My favorite :D

Anyway, I guess my feathers got a little ruffled there for a second. Sorry about that.

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2007, 12:57 PM
No big deal. You thought I was insulting you, which was a reasonable assumption from what I wrote. My apologies for the perceived insult, as I should have expressed myself better initially.

sooner_born_1960
3/6/2007, 12:58 PM
Get a room, you two. ;)

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2007, 01:03 PM
Get a room, you two. ;)

His driver license is expired, so I have no way of knowing if he's above the age of consent. Better safe than sorry-I don't want Stone Philips up in my face.

skycat
3/6/2007, 01:07 PM
I do have a baby face.

BigRedJed
3/6/2007, 01:25 PM
Froze, it's not often that I straight-up disagree with you, but I do on this one. As someone who has a mixed beverage license, I'm a little bit more familar than most on the reality behind this issue. If I let someone into my licensed premises with an expired ID, it's the same as letting them in with no ID, as far as the Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement (ABLE) Commissioin is concerned. In a nutshell, if I do it and get caught, I can go to jail. Maybe it's a silly law, but it IS the law.

Personally, I'm not interested in going to jail or losing my liquor license just to sell a drink to someone who isn't bright enough to remember to renew their license.

And the reason behind that law is exactly what skycat suggests, people often give their expired licenses to underage friends.

Mjcpr
3/6/2007, 01:31 PM
Woah, look at me! I'm mr. haughty, overly-officious pain-in-the-*** stickler dude!

skycat
3/6/2007, 01:32 PM
OBEY

soonerbrat
3/6/2007, 01:34 PM
pssst...that is still speeding. ;)

still speeding but going 10mph over the speed limit is a higher ticket than 5 mph over...AND over 9mph over the limit raises your insurance rates..

BigRedJed
3/6/2007, 01:40 PM
Woah, look at me! I'm mr. haughty, overly-officious pain-in-the-*** stickler dude!
No, I'm mister don't-want-to-get-***-raped-in-county dude.

Go get a drink somewhere else.

Mjcpr
3/6/2007, 01:43 PM
Good to see you've changed your stance.

;)

OUDoc
3/6/2007, 01:45 PM
still speeding but going 10mph over the speed limit is a higher ticket than 5 mph over...AND over 9mph over the limit raises your insurance rates..
Only if they take you alive.

BigRedJed
3/6/2007, 01:46 PM
Although I try to be as customer-friendly as possible, I do have one rule that has served me well: your failure to plan ahead does not constitute an emergency on my part.

soonerbrat
3/6/2007, 01:47 PM
Only if they take you alive.

they always take me alive

OUDoc
3/6/2007, 01:48 PM
they always take me alive
So that's how you get out of tickets.....

1stTimeCaller
3/6/2007, 01:48 PM
TBL, I don't live there I was just passing through. Me not getting a ticket for speeding leads me to believe that I was not speeding in his jurisdiction. I never speed through Rush Springs, Marlow, Duncan, Comanche, Ryan, Addington or Terrell.

I've never understood the deal with expired IDs. For some reason a birth certificate with no picture on it is more official than an expired military ID when it comes to getting a new license in a new state. In TX I had to give them my current and valid Colorado DL, a copy of my birth certificate and an official transcript from OU. Pure silliness.

soonerbrat
3/6/2007, 01:49 PM
So that's how you get out of tickets.....

'zacly.

skycat
3/6/2007, 01:50 PM
TBL, I don't live there I was just passing through. Me not getting a ticket for speeding leads me to believe that I was not speeding in his jurisdiction. I never speed through Rush Springs, Marlow, Duncan, Comanche, Ryan, Addington or Terrell.

I've never understood the deal with expired IDs. For some reason a birth certificate with no picture on it is more official than an expired military ID when it comes to getting a new license in a new state. In TX I had to give them my current and valid Colorado DL, a copy of my birth certificate and an official transcript from OU. Pure silliness.

An official transcript?

weird.

skycat
3/6/2007, 01:51 PM
Maybe they just had an office bet that there was no way that you had ever graduated from college.

1stTimeCaller
3/6/2007, 01:58 PM
Maybe they just had an office bet that there was no way that you had ever graduated from college.
Who said I graduated or that they wanted to see my degree/diploma? If we're going to stick to the rules, let's stick to what was written, OK.

skycat
3/6/2007, 01:59 PM
Who said I graduated or that they wanted to see my degree/diploma? If we're going to stick to the rules, let's stick to what was written, OK.

Well, an official transciprt would have settled that bet one way or the other, wouldn't it.;)

1stTimeCaller
3/6/2007, 02:01 PM
true

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2007, 04:17 PM
Froze, it's not often that I straight-up disagree with you, but I do on this one. As someone who has a mixed beverage license, I'm a little bit more familar than most on the reality behind this issue. If I let someone into my licensed premises with an expired ID, it's the same as letting them in with no ID, as far as the Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement (ABLE) Commissioin is concerned. In a nutshell, if I do it and get caught, I can go to jail. Maybe it's a silly law, but it IS the law.

Personally, I'm not interested in going to jail or losing my liquor license just to sell a drink to someone who isn't bright enough to remember to renew their license.

And the reason behind that law is exactly what skycat suggests, people often give their expired licenses to underage friends.

Fair enough. I reserve my right to consider that a dumb f-ing law if it means you have to turn away a wrinkled-up old lady because her driver license is expired.

colleyvillesooner
3/6/2007, 04:27 PM
Chick is gonna ****ed you called her that.

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2007, 04:34 PM
:D

BigRedJed
3/6/2007, 04:35 PM
Fair enough. I reserve my right to consider that a dumb f-ing law if it means you have to turn away a wrinkled-up old lady because her driver license is expired.
Well, I agree about that. When I got my mixed beverage permit, I talked with my ABLE agent and with OKC cops at length about what kind of judgment they use in those situations. Technically, the law says ANYBODY on the premises must be able to prove their age with a valid ID, but they also say (off the record) that they will excercise some discretion when it comes to people who are obviously in their 40s, 50s, 60s, etc.

The problem is anybody who looks anywhere close to 21, even people in their 30s. The enforcement people have made it really clear to me that they will look at people who are as old as 35 as being under 21, provided they have no ID on them. Since bar business is a minute part of what I do, and any violations by me or my staff would probably be newsworthy, I've instructed my people to not play. At all. No amount of bar business is worth me getting in trouble. If someone who's "probably" around 35 or 40 doesn't have a valid ID, I tell my folks to tell them sorry, no dice.

I haven't had a violation of any kind, ever. And I want to keep it that way.

So if a bouncer dude or a server won't serve you due to a nonexistent or expired ID, cut them some slack. They're just doing their job, covering their ***, and not power tripping.

ChickSoonerFan
3/6/2007, 11:15 PM
:D

:mad:

1stTimeCaller
3/6/2007, 11:23 PM
OK, we've determined that the expired ID law thing is BS when it comes to buying a beer. Are we going to write our legislators?

proud gonzo
3/7/2007, 01:03 AM
we almost got stuck in the Paris airport on our way home to Wichita because GHP's passport had expired....and they had just then noticed.