PDA

View Full Version : Eric Clapton

BigRedJed
3/5/2007, 10:12 PM
As I post this, my face is being rocked off by Clapton and Derek Trucks. Of course, there wasn't much face left after Robert Cray was finished with it. Think of this post as something like a Road Warrior installment. With less football and more rock.

Good night, Oklahoma.

And yes, I'm drunk.

Newbomb Turk
3/6/2007, 07:44 AM
I thought the concert was great. Talk about some serious guitar playing talent on the stage. Yeah - and Derek Trucks - he's pretty damn good.

I liked Cray coming back out and playing Crossroads with Clapton.

Hatfield
3/6/2007, 09:22 AM
it is a shame that more people didn't know/realize derek trucks was playing with him.

Jimminy Crimson
3/6/2007, 12:00 PM
'Twas a good night at the Ford.

sooneron
3/6/2007, 12:09 PM
I guess Jed is sleeping one off.

BigRedJed
3/6/2007, 01:01 PM
That.

Kicked.

def_lazer_fc
3/6/2007, 02:04 PM
i wish i could've gone, but it was a little pricey for me. :(

Howzit
3/6/2007, 02:06 PM
That.

Kicked.

I bet it did...I still kick myself for not going to see The Allman Brothers band here in Dallas to see Derek a few years ago...dude's on a whole different level of slide.

BigRedJed
3/6/2007, 02:18 PM
I'm probably a bit more partial to the Clapton show I saw in '89 in Dallas. I have consistently said that was a top 10 show of all time for me, maybe even top five.

But that show last night was fantastic.

Taxman71
3/6/2007, 05:54 PM
i wish i could've gone, but it was a little pricey for me. :(

There has never been an event at the Ford Center in which tickets could not be had for $30 or less outside the arena...including McCartney, Joel/Elton, etc.

StoopTroup
3/6/2007, 06:40 PM
I smell pot.

def_lazer_fc
3/6/2007, 07:28 PM
There has never been an event at the Ford Center in which tickets could not be had for $30 or less outside the arena...including McCartney, Joel/Elton, etc.
im probably just too lazy to go down there. maybe i'll go down there when the Who come in, cuz there's no way i'm paying full price for half the who.

BigRedJed
3/6/2007, 07:46 PM
Well, you're missing out. I saw 3/4 of the Who in '89, and Townshend/Daltrey last year, and it's still worth as much as just about any other band you could imagine seeing.

Moon might have been the true soul of that band, but you can't really call Townshend/Daltrey merely half of the Who.

C&CDean
3/6/2007, 10:34 PM
Well, you're missing out. I saw 3/4 of the Who in '89, and Townshend/Daltrey last year, and it's still worth as much as just about any other band you could imagine seeing.

Moon might have been the true soul of that band, but you can't really call Townshend/Daltrey merely half of the Who.

Glad you enjoyed Clapton/Trucks. Name me somebody today who rocks like that.

OUAndy1807
3/6/2007, 10:40 PM
The Black Lips

C&CDean
3/6/2007, 10:46 PM
The Black Lips

You're a really funny guy Andy. Clapton has taken loose stools with more talent than these faglets.

OUAndy1807
3/6/2007, 10:48 PM
You're a really funny guy Andy. Clapton has taken loose stools with more talent than these faglets.
like it or not, you're my favorite admin, big fella.

C&CDean
3/6/2007, 10:50 PM
like it or not, you're my favorite admin, big fella.

Blow me Andrew.

Newbomb Turk
3/7/2007, 07:43 AM
According to the Tulsa World (heard it on the radio, no link), Clapton was booed off the stage Monday night. :rolleyes:

The people booed when they turned on the lights in the Ford center.

BigRedJed
3/7/2007, 09:53 AM
Well, considering Trucks is not even 30 yet, YOU just named somebody today who rocks like that. Dean, there are TONS of great bands and performers around today, whether you want to believe it or not. Does someone have to be Eric Clapton to be a great band/performer? That's a pretty extreme standard. 99.9% of the performers you liked/listen to from the 60s/70s don't meet that standard.

BigRedJed
3/7/2007, 09:57 AM
And I had forgotten about the boos. It happened because, after the first (and only) encore, the lights stayed down, guitar techs scurried around the stage, and it truly seemed like there would be a second encore. Then the lights came up, to a smattering of boos.

C&CDean
3/7/2007, 09:59 AM
Well, considering Trucks is not even 30 yet, YOU just named somebody today who rocks like that. Dean, there are TONS of great bands and performers around today, whether you want to believe it or not. Does someone have to be Eric Clapton to be a great band/performer? That's a pretty extreme standard. 99.9% of the performers you liked/listen to from the 60s/70s don't meet that standard.

Like hell they don't. And yes, life is way too short to listen to bands/groups made up of mediocre musicians/singers. I'm old, jaundiced, and demand top-level talent. Why would I wanna listen to somebody strumming guitar chords that I could play - singing in a voice that is worse than mine?

My standards are high. I admit it. But I won't apologize for it and listen to some schleppy crapola just because it's "new." And Derek is Butch's boy, so drumming is in the blood, yo.

BigRedJed
3/7/2007, 10:01 AM
Well, I don't know how his drumming is, but he plays guitar like Duane Allman.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/7/2007, 10:01 AM
You know, Jocelyn Elders is a big fan of Eric Clapner.

C&CDean
3/7/2007, 10:03 AM
:O

Howzit
3/7/2007, 10:08 AM
Here is a perfect example of the value of the WAYLT thread. Dean, I kind of thought like you in terms of music until I started paying attention to WAYLT and got XM.

There is soooo much good new music out there that it's not even funny. Artists I never would have been exposed to because regular radio succs. Hard.

And, yes, I am posting this because I know BSG might spek me for plugging her beloved WAYLT.

BigRedJed
3/7/2007, 10:10 AM
And I'm not suggesting that you should listen to mediocre performers just because they're "new." I don't.

Dean, think through the logic of what you're saying. Is it really possible that there simply aren't talented performers anymore? That they don't exist? That there was a magical 15 year period where EVERYBODY was a great songwriter, singer, guitarist, and now, somehow, that same level of musical knowledge is beyond the reach of new players?

The difference is the industry. It is completely, 100% different. When Clapton came to prominence, radio was free-form. DJs got to play what they liked, not what their PD and focus groups said would drive the biggest share. 95% of what you and I think of as great old music wouldn't even make the air nowadays, if it were new, because it doesn't fit the formulas.

Howzit
3/7/2007, 10:10 AM
Well, I don't know how his drumming is, but he plays guitar like Duane Allman.

*sNOTR*

:D

Mjcpr
3/7/2007, 10:11 AM
And, yes, I am posting this because I know BSG might spek me for plugging her beloved WAYLT.

Enjoy the week off.

C&CDean
3/7/2007, 10:17 AM
And I'm not suggesting that you should listen to mediocre performers just because they're "new." I don't.

Dean, think through the logic of what you're saying. Is it really possible that there simply aren't talented performers anymore? That they don't exist? That there was a magical 15 year period where EVERYBODY was a great songwriter, singer, guitarist, and now, somehow, that same level of musical knowledge is beyond the reach of new players?

The difference is the industry. It is completely, 100% different. When Clapton came to prominence, radio was free-form. DJs got to play what they liked, not what their PD and focus groups said would drive the biggest share. 95% of what you and I think of as great old music wouldn't even make the air nowadays, if it were new, because it doesn't fit the formulas.

-sigh-

It's not about the performer's age. Kenny Wayne Sheppard is a young guy. He RMFO. There's a lot of other young talents like him out there. I guess my real problem is with the "genre." Much of today's new music just doesn't get all up in my face and rip the hide away. And that's what I want/like. When I go out to the steak house and there's this new dish called "tofu steak" I'll try it. But when it tastes like ****, I'm still gonna go with angus beef.

I'm a rocker/blues kinda guy. I also like live classical music, jazz, and R&B. I can tolerate country, but it ain't my favorite. Hip hop, new age, indie, punk, and talentless R&Rollers just don't do it for me. There's a ton of old rockers who suck as bad or worse than some of today's suckage. It's not about the age, it's about the talent.

picasso
3/7/2007, 11:05 AM
Review: Clapton: Inexplicable

OKC crowd doesn't appreciate Eric Clapton's timeless performance

By MATT ELLIOTT World Scene Writer
3/7/2007

I never thought I'd hear Eric Clapton get booed, but Oklahoma City booed him Monday night following his sold-out show at the Ford Center.

The boos rang out when Clapton, who performed many of his hits from the Derek & the Dominos era, left the stage after performing "Cocaine" and a four-guitar jam of the blues classic "Crossroads." The boos came despite Clapton's nearly two-hour concert and a soaring version of Jimi Hendrix's "Little Wing."

The boos followed a series of blistering guitar solos from Robert Cray, Derek Trucks and Clapton, and some pedestrian plucking from Doyle Bramhall II. The night was over with a bow and a quick exit stage left.

Who boos Eric Clapton, honestly? It was an odd end to an alternately awing and sleepy night that kicked off with Robert Cray and his stripped-down, four-man blues band mixed with soul style. Cray did not disappoint with his slick blues voice soaring over his guitar, eyes squinting shut as he soloed with his band behind him, especially on his Iraq War-inspired song "20."

Clapton, clad in a black shirt and pants and with a little bit of a double chin, took the stage flanked by two large projection screens hanging from the ceiling, and launched into the song, "Tell the Truth."

Rows of neon lights flanked the band, backed by a gray curtain as Clapton traded bluesy licks with Bramhall and Trucks.

Also trading solos were the bassist, Willie Meeks, and two keyboardists who added a gospel soul to the night.

But the highlight of the night was a transcendent, tear-jerking and soulful performance of Jimi Hendrix's "Little Wing."

Just as with Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven," if you've spent more than three afternoons in a guitar store, you've surely heard some hack plucking out "Little Wing" on a Fender Stratocaster, maybe followed with a little "Bold as Love."

But I've never heard it the way Clapton played it Monday. Backed by two big-voiced gospel-style singers, Clapton coaxed Hendrix's sweet melody out of the song with his own spin that elaborated on the song's ethereal beauty.

Also wowing was the performance of the full and electric version of "Layla," at which the lights cut out near the end, coming up on the piano player as he caressed out the melody of the song's sweeping and jarringly distinct closing, so famously different from the song's first half.

The crowd, mostly comprised of baby boomers who were rowdy kids when Clapton made his name, spent much of the concert in their seats. But one couple danced in the aisle during the sweet and soft "Wonderful Tonight."

While he sang, "and then she asks me, 'Do I look all right?' And I say, 'Yes, you look wonderful tonight,' " a woman with blond hair leaned her head close to that of a graying, mustachioed man as they swayed to the music.

Others stared transfixed at the man who wrote the music that was a soundtrack for their lives.

Midway through the show, his band left the stage and Clapton sat down on a stool with his acoustic guitar across his lap for an intimate cover of the folk-blues number "Driftin' Blues" about a man set adrift because of a woman's meddling.

And the night ebbed and flowed between the softer songs and such rocking numbers as "Further on Up the Road."

But it wasn't all roses. The Ford Center swam with a myriad of solos from Trucks, Bramhall and Clapton, which worked, so long as Bramhall didn't play.

Bramhall, the son of Stevie Ray and Jimmie Vaughan's drummer Doyle Bramhall Sr., played as if he were lost, sick, sleepy or high.

But Trucks' slide guitar made notes that seemed almost to speak and Clapton was what you'd expect: Quiet, except for when he soloed, and unable to be ignored when the hot lights fell on him.

It might be expected that Clapton would give some acknowledgement of Oklahoma's role in his own music. Tulsa and Clapton were linked in the 1970s, when several area musicians landed gigs touring with the guitarist as his backing band, including the late bassist Carl Radle and guitarist J.J. Cale, who penned the song "Cocaine."

If Tulsans were looking for an acknowledgement from Clapton of that role, here's what they got:

"I'd like to say hello to Andrew Oldaker out there," he said in a break midway through the show, in one of the few moments when he spoke to the audience. "I saw your dad (Tulsa Sound drummer Jamie Oldaker) the other night. It's nice to be back."

But booing when he left the stage for the night? It was a shocking show of a lack of class. Maybe he didn't play the songs the crowd wanted -- but booing?

Oklahoma City has to be one of the only places where a guy can play nearly two hours with some of the biggest names in music, artfully perform timeless songs that stretch across two generations of fans, and still get booed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt Elliott 581-8366
[email protected]

BigRedJed
3/7/2007, 11:25 AM
Well, he failed to mention the repeated standing ovations Clapton got throughout the show. Cray got the same. The crowd loved all over them all night. I was a little disappointed in the SMATTERING of boos, but it was obviously because people didn't want the night to end. It also really, really seemed there would be a second encore, and then all of a sudden the lights came up. But the SMATTERING of boos only lasted for a second or two, and I certainly didn't feel like they were booing the man himself. They were booing the end of the evening.

This guy made way, way too much of it. I think it's another case of T-town penis envy.

tommieharris91
3/7/2007, 11:31 AM
Take Monty Montgomery for example. His version of Little Wing is pure bliss, but most outside of the blues world have never heard of him. It is a sad, unfortunate thing. He'd pwn any punk/emo guitarist out there easily. Heck, he'd pwn most any guitarist. YWIA

picasso
3/7/2007, 11:47 AM
the booing may have been louder according to where you were sitting. just a thought.

and I'll give you the penis envy thing. I envy OKC's downtown. that's about it.

:D

BigRedJed
3/7/2007, 12:11 PM
Well, considering I was sitting on the side of the stage, about 20 feet away from it, I probably heard it just about the same way that Clapton heard it. Actually better, probably, since he was already in his dressing room. No harm done.

BigRedJed
3/7/2007, 12:12 PM
And I still maintain there were few boos. There was, however, lots of audible groaning.

Newbomb Turk
3/7/2007, 12:43 PM
the booing may have been louder according to where you were sitting. just a thought.

I heard it the same way Jed heard it. More groans than boos.

BigRedJed
3/7/2007, 01:29 PM
Yes, my cameraphone is ****ty. Thanks for noticing. My seats, on the other hand, were not.

http://www.8secondchallenge.com/soonerfans/clapton.jpg

Hatfield
3/7/2007, 01:38 PM
monte montgomery is a bad mamajama