PDA

View Full Version : Object lesson for techie hillbillies

Okla-homey
3/5/2007, 04:42 PM
I rec'd this in campus e-mail today.

Dear everyone,

I lost my USB flash drive, and was wondering whether anyone came across this small tiny device within the past week.

I've got everything (and I literally mean EVERYTHING) saved on it since my 1L year!!!

Please let me know.

Do not put EVERYTHING on a device the size of your thumb without backing it up in other place(s)

Thus endeth the lesson.;)

yermom
3/5/2007, 04:48 PM
word.

just like floppy drives

frankensooner
3/5/2007, 04:56 PM
Why would you save stuff from year to year? After finals I made a huge trash pile and threw it away. When you graduate all you will need is the bar material you get from BarBri and PMBR. Another thing, I saved my horn books and guess how many times I have used them in the last 16 years? uh, maybe once, and it wasn't even helpful. Trash it and sell your books. YWIA.

OUHOMER
3/5/2007, 07:28 PM
My son lost his, You would have thought it was the end of the world

jacru
3/5/2007, 07:31 PM
My son lost his, You would have thought it was the end of the world
His world is very small after all. :rolleyes:

SicEmBaylor
3/5/2007, 07:49 PM
I have one on my keychain, but I haven't found a good use for it yet.
I take my laptop to class everyday or I use the campus computers. I haven't found a real need for it yet.

Ike
3/5/2007, 08:06 PM
after suffering one disk crash that set me back a couple of months, I now back everything I do up in no fewer than 3 places. My thesis, which is most important to me, exists in 5 seperate places. My home area at work, a raid server, my laptop, a thumb drive, and my ipod.

the first 4 get updated on a daily basis. The ipod weekly.

maybe that's a slight amount of overkill, but I ain't takin any chances on losing it.

soonerboomer93
3/5/2007, 09:56 PM
you should probably burn it to cd atleast once a month...

I say that because 4 of the 5 places you store rely on mechanical means to store information and will all fail eventually (maybe 2 days, may 20 years). The memory in the thumb drive theoritically will outlast any hard drive. A burned cd will last 1-10 years depending on storage conditions, but atleast it's a physical storage.

Ike
3/6/2007, 02:07 AM
you should probably burn it to cd atleast once a month...

I say that because 4 of the 5 places you store rely on mechanical means to store information and will all fail eventually (maybe 2 days, may 20 years). The memory in the thumb drive theoritically will outlast any hard drive. A burned cd will last 1-10 years depending on storage conditions, but atleast it's a physical storage.

yeah, but as I have many other places to put it, if one goes, or even two or three, I'll most likely have time to stick it in other places. And besides, for this particular thing anyway, I'll only need to keep this up for a month or so.

LoyalFan
3/6/2007, 02:26 AM
His world is very small after all. :rolleyes:

It's a small, small, small, small, worrrrrrlllllld!

LF

soonerboomer93
3/6/2007, 02:29 AM
yeah, but as I have many other places to put it, if one goes, or even two or three, I'll most likely have time to stick it in other places. And besides, for this particular thing anyway, I'll only need to keep this up for a month or so.

yeah, i can understand. I back up to an external drive maybe every 3 months, and also back up to dvd.

The only thing I regularly back up is my iTunes library