PDA

View Full Version : Jai Lucas

william_brasky
3/5/2007, 01:38 PM
What do you think our chances are of signing Lucas?

I haven't seen the kid play, but he's supposed to be a very solid PG, something this program desperately needs.

I'll take the answer off the air.

:pop:

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/5/2007, 01:52 PM
It seems the consensus opinion is that it is between us and Kentucky. Often that wouldn't bode well for us. I've got no inside info but from the comments I've read I think our chances are real good.

..and he would be a big difference maker. We need a top PG and he is one.

poke4christ
3/5/2007, 02:05 PM
I honestly think that any inside information that has been posted about Jai is a load of crap. The only quotes from him that I've seen are him pumping the colleges he's just visited or saying that it's still a four horse race. Never once have I seen or heard anything (other than rumors) that suggest it's down to two teams. As far as rumors go, I've heard its down to OU/UK, OSU/UK, and UM/UK. I think this directly corilates to the fact that UK has more talk about basketball and more people trying to get inside information then the other three schools combined. That is what is causing all these rumors.

IMHO, I'd put it at 24% across the board with the remaining 4% being that he would go somewhere outside of his top four.

tommieharris91
3/5/2007, 02:11 PM
Anyone's guess is as good as mine, so here's my biased opinion.

Jai Lucas is a 100% Sooner. ;)

william_brasky
3/5/2007, 02:43 PM
Things aren't so rosy at Kentucky for Tubby right now.

That place is a pressure cooker.

Big Red Ron
3/5/2007, 02:47 PM
Didn't Jai say he would narrow his list to two teams today?

crawfish
3/5/2007, 02:53 PM
I thought it was interesting in his "official visit" reports - he didn't show a lot of emotion at the UK and UM games, but at the OU game he was very vocal and involved. I haven't heard anything about his trip to OSU.

I'm sure that means less than nothing. In the end, I think it'll be between fan support (UK) and trust in the HC (Capel). If he already knew where he was going, he'd have already chosen.

william_brasky
3/5/2007, 02:55 PM
found this on the Scout board. heh.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/GDR18/JaiLucas1.jpg

The_Red_Patriot
3/5/2007, 03:13 PM
OSU or Kentucky

ouradu
3/5/2007, 04:40 PM
OSU or Kentucky
Just a hunch, or did he make that announcement that the sports animal said he was going to make today?

LittleWingSooner
3/5/2007, 05:07 PM
OSU is out of it. They have no shot at him. I think it's OU or Kentucky. Kentucky may be the winner here.

I don't know if he's good enough to help us a ton next year if we can't find a scorer at guard.

Boffingham
3/5/2007, 07:42 PM
We don't need a PG as bad as we need a big strong big man...ODOM SIZE

Big Red Ron
3/5/2007, 07:48 PM
we should have Cale Gundy give him a call.

okienole3
3/5/2007, 08:02 PM
We don't need a PG as bad as we need a big strong big man...ODOM SIZE

You know nothing about college basketball.

Big Red Ron
3/5/2007, 08:10 PM
wrong thread

magic33216
3/5/2007, 08:36 PM
Don't we already have Neysmith coming in as PG? He is a 4 star recruit (which means nothing but it gets the talking heads going) but hey, he must have some talent?

Big Red Ron
3/5/2007, 08:43 PM
Don't we already have Neysmith coming in as PG? He is a 4 star recruit (which means nothing but it gets the talking heads going) but hey, he must have some talent?He's a big point guard at 6'3.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=1572773

okienole3
3/5/2007, 08:45 PM
He's a big point guard at 6'3.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=1572773

I think he is more of a "combo" guard like the ones we have. We need a TRUE PG.

LittleWingSooner
3/5/2007, 09:04 PM
We need a guard that can score the most. We have size inside and we have decent play at the point. We have no guard that can score.

Big Red Ron
3/5/2007, 09:10 PM
I think he is more of a "combo" guard like the ones we have. We need a TRUE PG.They have him ranked as the 22nd best PG in the country. At least he's played PG in HS, unlike Crocker and Maze, who both will be great two guards.

John Kochtoston
3/5/2007, 10:00 PM
If we could find a true point, we could be really good in a hurry next season. Crocker at the 2/3, Maze at the 2/3 (plus as abackup 1),Griffins, Clarke and Longar down low. Looking good.

Ash
3/5/2007, 11:25 PM
For me, a good PG will have the intangibles: knowledge of the game, court vision, knowing when to make the pass and when to take the shot...

The ability to break down defenses is key, whether with a good jumper or good ability to drive.

I agree with others, however, that we also need a scorer. I don't care what position they're slotted at, but we need a pure scorer. Somebody you can get the ball to and is money. Maybe Cade Davis fills this role, I don't know.

okienole3
3/5/2007, 11:41 PM
We need a guard that can score the most. We have size inside and we have decent play at the point. We have no guard that can score.

We do not have decent play at the point. Crocker and Maze can score from the guard spot, but they cannot play point.

stoopified
3/6/2007, 12:41 AM
We need a guard that can score the most. We have size inside and we have decent play at the point. We have no guard that can score.Who is this WE you are speaking of?If you are talking about OU,we have mediocre play AT POINT,and our size consists of a 6'11 senior to be who has played well but is not physical enough to battle true size(Longar), a6'9 true frosh(B. Griffin) who is currently playing 2A ball, a 6'8 soph to be (Clark )who is more comfortable at the 3 rather than the 4 or 5,and a 6'7 junior to be(T. Griffin) who while talented and strong is at a disadvantage against the 6'9 and larger posts in top level competition.

We need improvement at the point desperately in order to run the O more efficently.Lucas or someone( be it another recruit or even possibly an improved Maze or Johnson) must step up and make Crocker,Godbold,the Griffin boys,L2,Clark etc. better. You do that by getting the ball to the right player at the right time on the right spot on the floor.Makes scoring a WHOLE lot easier and basketball is a simple game WHEN YOU MAKE SHOTS.

The other need is another big man,preferably 6'9 or taller and physical(IMHO yo can't have too many big men).As far as scorers go,I think L2 ,Crocker both can be double digit scorers with good point play and Cade Davis' biggest attribute is scoring( at least on paper),add Blake as a viable physical low-post scoring threat and it opens up the offense and allows AJ to concentrate on scoring as well.At least that is my hope anyway.Whatever happens recruiting-wise,I believe Capel will have Our Sooners back in THE DANCE next year!

poke4christ
3/6/2007, 12:58 AM
Little Wing Sooner:

Is this just something you heard on the message boards/from friends or do you actually have a credible source to this claim.

Red Patriot:

I see just as little reason to remove OU and Maryland from possibilities as I do OSU. What is your source on this? I think you mentioned this over at OP too.

wishbonesooner
3/6/2007, 09:24 AM
Would any blue chipper want to play for Sean Sutton at this point?

OSUAggie
3/6/2007, 10:36 AM
Would any blue chipper want to play for Sean Sutton at this point?

Based on the class coming in next year... Yes.

LittleWingSooner
3/6/2007, 04:18 PM
Little Wing Sooner:

Is this just something you heard on the message boards/from friends or do you actually have a credible source to this claim.

It's more from reading into his dealings with all the places he's been. I would be shocked if OSU or Maryland get Lucas.

Who is this WE you are speaking of?If you are talking about OU,we have mediocre play AT POINT,and our size consists of a 6'11 senior to be who has played well but is not physical enough to battle true size

He's not experienced enough. He's played well some games, he's done about what you could expect for a first year player. 11.3 points per game isn't bad.

a 6'8 soph to be (Clark )who is more comfortable at the 3 rather than the 4 or 5,and a 6'7 junior to be(T. Griffin) who while talented and strong is at a disadvantage against the 6'9 and larger posts in top level competition.

We haven't seen enough of Clark to know what he can or cannot do. He could be a really good player. Griffin has played well at times. He still has a ways to go but he has the talent to play and be a really solid player in the Big 12. Despite being bad on offense he averaged something like 7 or 8 a game.

We need improvement at the point desperately in order to run the O more efficently.Lucas or someone( be it another recruit or even possibly an improved Maze or Johnson) must step up and make Crocker,Godbold,the Griffin boys,L2,Clark etc. better. You do that by getting the ball to the right player at the right time on the right spot on the floor.Makes scoring a WHOLE lot easier and basketball is a simple game WHEN YOU MAKE SHOTS.

We have trouble making open shots. Kelvin's teams sometimes went into scoring droughts because they couldn't get open or good looks. We get good looks but we can't hit any of them.

We have about 4 guys playing next year. I think getting another post would be dumb because you won't see OU or many teams in the country play more then 4 or 5 guys there. There's just not enough minutes. What OU needs is a guy who can score in any situation. We didn't have that with Kelvin a lot of the time because his offenses didn't need it all the time. He would use a guy like that once in a while. But he knew how to coach players to make plays they could make. Capel is using a different system and he needs a guy that can just score at guard. We don't really have that right now. Crocker has the potential.

goingoneight
3/7/2007, 01:34 AM
we should have Cale Gundy give him a call.

Got Broyles? WE DO!!! Priceless! :D

tommieharris91
3/7/2007, 01:39 AM
I'll brag about Broyles when he does something of note here.

Shneeg11
3/7/2007, 09:52 PM
I promise that Blake Griffin will be an everygame scoring threat if capel sets him free and lets him play his game. He likes to run, and he can score with his back to the bucket, or on the perimetner. On top of that, I think he and his brother will have a special chemistry taht should b e fun to watch. I have never been particularly impressed w/Keith Clark's work ethic, I went to a rival school of his in H.S., and while he is a solid player, and is sometimes borderline great (especially in the summer). He just does not care enough, but maybe capel can work on that, and he can come out on a nightly basis ready to play

Shneeg11
3/7/2007, 09:57 PM
And by promise, i really mean that IMO that he will be a scoring threat, and actually, as soon as he adjusts to playing against the better talent, he will be a more viable option

OSUAggie
3/7/2007, 10:15 PM
I promise that Blake Griffin will be an everygame scoring threat if capel sets him free and lets him play his game. He likes to run, and he can score with his back to the bucket, or on the perimetner. On top of that, I think he and his brother will have a special chemistry taht should b e fun to watch. I have never been particularly impressed w/Keith Clark's work ethic, I went to a rival school of his in H.S., and while he is a solid player, and is sometimes borderline great (especially in the summer). He just does not care enough, but maybe capel can work on that, and he can come out on a nightly basis ready to play

Why is everyone's name capitalized except for Capel?

Shneeg11
3/8/2007, 04:25 AM
Touche, i made a few typing errors that i normally would not make, my apologies Aggie