PDA

View Full Version : UFC 68

tbl
3/3/2007, 07:49 PM
I would like nothing more than to see Sylvia, Franklin, and Hughes, all get the crap kicked out of them in a bad way tonight. Franklin a little less than the other 2, but I definitely want the Natural and Lytle to punish those jerks. Most of all Matt Hughes. I can't stand that guy. Can't friggin stand him. He's such a ****** that he can't help referring to himself in the third person, aside from all the other trademark prick characteristics that he can't help but put on display.

The only thing about the Natural winning is that Cro-Cop won't get a chance to punish Sylvia. That might make it worth seeing Couture get beat.

olevetonahill
3/3/2007, 08:34 PM
I gots Direct Tv what channel does that carp come on ?
Reason Im askin Is a guy is bringing beer and smoke and Paying me to order it . ;)

usmc-sooner
3/3/2007, 08:58 PM
I'm pulling for the Natural, Lytle IMO can't handle Hughes.

MiccoMacey
3/3/2007, 11:49 PM
Updates anyone?

KC//CRIMSON
3/4/2007, 12:33 AM
Updates anyone?

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/FOXSportsMMA?MSNHPHMA

Or you can just watch it on Youtube tomorrow.;)

sooneron
3/4/2007, 12:35 AM
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/FOXSportsMMA?MSNHPHMA

Or you can just watch it on Youtube tomorrow.;)
Before it's pulled.:(

MiccoMacey
3/4/2007, 12:58 AM
Gracias.

tbl
3/4/2007, 01:11 AM
Holy crap... Even though suck balls Hughes won, the night was totally worth it to see the Natural dominate in such a fashion. I did get some glee seeing Matt Hughes near tears while Sylvia was getting dominated like a prison biznatch.

Unbelievable. That guy is truly amazing. When he was wrapped up for the single leg, I thought there was no way he could put that big prick on his back. He not only did with ease, but he did it many times. On top of that, he dominated in the stand up too. He's not just a great fighter, but he really seems like a great guy, whereas a guy like Liddell is a great fighter but is severely lacking in the personality dept.

I just hope he doesn't have to face Cro-Cop... If he does, I'm pulling for a miracle.

KC//CRIMSON
3/4/2007, 01:17 AM
Holy crap... Even though suck balls Hughes won, the night was totally worth it to see the Natural dominate in such a fashion. I did get some glee seeing Matt Hughes near tears while Sylvia was getting dominated like a prison biznatch.

Unbelievable. That guy is truly amazing. When he was wrapped up for the single leg, I thought there was no way he could put that big prick on his back. He not only did with ease, but he did it many times. On top of that, he dominated in the stand up too. He's not just a great fighter, but he really seems like a great guy, whereas a guy like Liddell is a great fighter but is severely lacking in the personality dept.

I just hope he doesn't have to face Cro-Cop... If he does, I'm pulling for a miracle.

He needs to re-retire. Soon.;)

Melo
3/4/2007, 01:46 AM
I went and watched, as normal. This round of fights was just okay for me. Nothing truly amazing, everyone won who I thought would win, etc etc.

Sylvia is such a boring fighter, to me. Its like hes 25 minutes of guaranteed boredom.

Next fight is in HOUSTON! Guess who DOESNT have tickets. Yea, me. All the rest of the guys bought tickets, including the bf. But not Melo. She didnt have the $$. I'm so ****ed. Anyone want to come to Houston to watch the fight with me?

And just in case anyone was wondering - my streak of never being carded in ANY bar or restaurant was, in fact, NOT ended tonight. :D

tbl
3/4/2007, 01:48 AM
So you didn't think Couture dominating made for an exciting fight?

def_lazer_fc
3/4/2007, 04:53 AM
i think he just meant sylvia is boring as hell to watch. the dude is like lurch in there. the man doesn't fight to win. he fights to not lose. boooorrring.

how'd everyone like that punch in the 1st round?

tbl
3/4/2007, 10:29 AM
SHE!!! ;)

Rhino
3/4/2007, 11:44 AM
Sylvia is such a boring fighter, to me. Its like hes 25 minutes of guaranteed boredom. That's probably the most true statement of Sylvia I've ever seen.

He's a borefest.

Frozen Sooner
3/4/2007, 12:44 PM
Looked like the dude was gassed from cutting so much weight.

Couture could have ended the fight in the first-he had a particularly good opportunity at a fisher throw that would have taken the fight right out of Silvia. Then again, Silvia's a big dude and he may not have thought he could pull it off. People: if someone has your leg sucked up to their chest off a single-leg, do NOT go for a headlock. It's an invitation to be sucking wind in a couple of seconds. Go for the crossface instead. Then again, you can't get a pinfall in MMA, so I guess the fisher throw loses some of its charm.

Sooner_Bob
3/4/2007, 02:02 PM
CroCop won't have as easy of a time with Randy as some of you think IMO.

How many of you thought Couture couldn't hang with Vitor Belfort and Tito Ortiz back in the day? Randy surprised you then and I'm thinking he's got a pretty good chance with CroCop.

As they stated during the PPV, Randy is in a much better place personally (mentally) now than he has been the last year or so. It was very apparent that "The Natural" has returned.

Sooner_Bob
3/4/2007, 02:08 PM
Looked like the dude was gassed from cutting so much weight.

I didn't think Sylvia had to cut that much weight . . . wasn't he fighting at 263 and Couture at like 225?

Sylvia usually fights at like 275 or so doesn't he? The UFC site has his weight listed at 255. Of course that could've been when he first signed with the promotion.

Frozen Sooner
3/4/2007, 02:11 PM
Someone told me he had to cut like 30 pounds to make weight. After the fight he looked REALLY skinny.

Big Red Ron
3/4/2007, 02:52 PM
Matt Hughes is a bad mo fo.

I'd give him a good shot against anyone, in any weight class.

KC//CRIMSON
3/4/2007, 03:34 PM
I didn't think Sylvia had to cut that much weight . . . wasn't he fighting at 263 and Couture at like 225?

Sylvia usually fights at like 275 or so doesn't he? The UFC site has his weight listed at 255. Of course that could've been when he first signed with the promotion.

It may be silly "fight math" but Couture could barely get through Chuck Liddell and Chuck Liddell is no Cro Cop.

Couture was just that much better than Sylvia. Plain and simple.

SoonerBBall
3/4/2007, 04:02 PM
CroCop won't have as easy of a time with Randy as some of you think IMO.

How many of you thought Couture couldn't hang with Vitor Belfort and Tito Ortiz back in the day? Randy surprised you then and I'm thinking he's got a pretty good chance with CroCop.

As they stated during the PPV, Randy is in a much better place personally (mentally) now than he has been the last year or so. It was very apparent that "The Natural" has returned.

Did you see the Cro Cop / Fedor fight?

The only reason they gave Fedor the decision was because he was the reigning champ and Pride sucks balls. Cro Cop frankensteined (or Shamrocked if you prefer the UFC reference) Fedor's face and owned him in the stand-up. He also successfully defended all of Fedor's ground attacks.

I was actually looking forward for Cro Cop vs. Arlofski before he got a title shot, but I think Cro Cop vs Couture is gonna be fun. I do think, however that Cro Cop has the advantage in that fight. He is far faster than Sylvia, and after the second round, Randy was barely getting out of the way of Sylvia's punches. Cro Cop's left leg is going to end the fight.

def_lazer_fc
3/4/2007, 05:32 PM
Matt Hughes is a bad mo fo.

I'd give him a good shot against anyone, in any weight class.
except for st pierre, cuz he made hughes his bitch in that last fight.

Big Red Ron
3/4/2007, 06:12 PM
except for st pierre, cuz he made hughes his bitch in that last fight.True but I would bet on Hughes in a rematch.

Melo
3/4/2007, 07:09 PM
SHE!!! ;)

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!

That punch from Coture in the beginning was about the only thing worth seeing that happened the whole fight. The other fights were decent, though, nothing amazing, but not bad. Hughes is kind of hawt, too, in case anyone was keeping tabs on the good looking guys in the UFC.

Big Red Ron
3/4/2007, 07:16 PM
Hughes is kind of hawt, too, in case anyone was keeping tabs on the good looking guys in the UFC.So, you're into the short stalky, wrestler types?

;)

Melo
3/4/2007, 07:18 PM
So, you're into the short stalky, wrestler types?

;)

If theyre hawt, yea. :D

Big Red Ron
3/4/2007, 07:19 PM
If theyre hawt, yea. :DOh, I'm HAWT but also married.:O

:D

Melo
3/4/2007, 07:26 PM
Oh, I'm HAWT but also married.:O

:D

Yea, but youre probably old, too....

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Big Red Ron
3/4/2007, 07:29 PM
Yea, but youre probably old, too....

:D :D :D :D :D :DIs 34 old?:O

Melo
3/4/2007, 07:47 PM
Is 34 old?:O

To 19, yep.

KC//CRIMSON
3/4/2007, 08:10 PM

The only reason they gave Fedor the decision was because he was the reigning champ and Pride sucks balls. Cro Cop frankensteined (or Shamrocked if you prefer the UFC reference) Fedor's face and owned him in the stand-up. He also successfully defended all of Fedor's ground attacks.

I was actually looking forward for Cro Cop vs. Arlofski before he got a title shot, but I think Cro Cop vs Couture is gonna be fun. I do think, however that Cro Cop has the advantage in that fight. He is far faster than Sylvia, and after the second round, Randy was barely getting out of the way of Sylvia's punches. Cro Cop's left leg is going to end the fight.

One of if not the best fight ever in the history of MMA. Cro Cop came close, but Fedor deserved the win.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=14pwRF6M7N4

Translated excerpt from the Gong Interview:

Cro Cop: I don’t think my UFC contract means I have to say goodbye to Pride forever.

GONG: Really? Why? We heard that you have been contracted to the UFC for six matches over two years.

Cro Cop: Yes and No, I do have a contract with Zuffa for six matches but they don’t have to be over two years.

GONG: Oh I see, so if you fought very regularly with short gaps between fights, you think you can fight six times in a year?

Cro Cop: This is how I see it, I will become Champion after three matches. I will need two and a half or three months off between each match. I expect to hold the UFC belt by the Summer. Then I want Pride Champion Fedor Emelianenko, Vs Me the UFC Heavyweight Champion on New Years Eve

usmc-sooner
3/4/2007, 08:19 PM
when is the Liddell vs Jackson rematch going to take place?

KC//CRIMSON
3/4/2007, 08:24 PM
when is the Liddell vs Jackson rematch going to take place?

If I had to guess, I would say late 2007. Rampage has said he needs one more fight before facing Chuck again.

tbl
3/4/2007, 08:31 PM
True but I would bet on Hughes in a rematch.
I'd take that bet. GSP is a skilled mofo, and he wasn't intimidated in that fight like he was their first time around. Their second fight was greatness.

tbl
3/4/2007, 08:32 PM
Translated excerpt from the Gong Interview:

Cro Cop: I don’t think my UFC contract means I have to say goodbye to Pride forever.

GONG: Really? Why? We heard that you have been contracted to the UFC for six matches over two years.

Cro Cop: Yes and No, I do have a contract with Zuffa for six matches but they don’t have to be over two years.

GONG: Oh I see, so if you fought very regularly with short gaps between fights, you think you can fight six times in a year?

Cro Cop: This is how I see it, I will become Champion after three matches. I will need two and a half or three months off between each match. I expect to hold the UFC belt by the Summer. Then I want Pride Champion Fedor Emelianenko, Vs Me the UFC Heavyweight Champion on New Years Eve
Dude... how awesome would that be?

Frozen Sooner
3/4/2007, 08:34 PM
So, you're into the short stalky, wrestler types?

;)

Stalky?

You look like broccoli?

usmc-sooner
3/4/2007, 08:40 PM
rematches I'd like to see

Liddell/Jackson
the Natural/Tito Ortiz
Hughes/St. Pierre (sp)

Shamrock/Ortiz
just joking I keed I keed

Sooner_Bob
3/4/2007, 10:21 PM

I have not.

I'm not saying CroCop doesn't stand a chance or dissin' him at all. I am saying that Randy Couture stands a better chance than others think.

Randy seems to rise to the level of his competition and I'd honestly think he'd give CroCop all he wanted. I think if Randy and Chuck were to fight tomorrow that Randy would beat him.

I would love to seem Rampage and Chuck, Chuck and Wanderlei, Fedor and CroCop . . . heck, I could go on and on.

Bas Ruten vs. Fedor might not be too bad either . . .

Sooner_Bob
3/4/2007, 10:51 PM
One of if not the best fight ever in the history of MMA. Cro Cop came close, but Fedor deserved the win.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=14pwRF6M7N4

Thanks . . . but I don't really think I'd say it was THE best. One of them for sure though.

KC//CRIMSON
3/4/2007, 11:15 PM
I have not.

I'm not saying CroCop doesn't stand a chance or dissin' him at all. I am saying that Randy Couture stands a better chance than others think.

Randy seems to rise to the level of his competition and I'd honestly think he'd give CroCop all he wanted. I think if Randy and Chuck were to fight tomorrow that Randy would beat him.

I would love to seem Rampage and Chuck, Chuck and Wanderlei, Fedor and CroCop . . . heck, I could go on and on.

Bas Ruten vs. Fedor might not be too bad either . . .

I'll take those plus Chuck vs Shogun.:cool:

OU4LIFE
3/5/2007, 08:23 AM
I think that there are some Pride heavyweights that would be great to watch in the UFC, unfortunately due to the UFC's weight limit for heavyweights (265), I don't think we'll ever get to see them.

What does Fedor go? He's GOT to be close to 250.

IMO, heavyweight shouldn't HAVE a weight limit.

tbl
3/5/2007, 09:59 AM
the Natural/Tito Ortiz

Why? Tito couldn't hang with him at all before, and there's no way he could hang with him this time.

tbl
3/5/2007, 10:00 AM
Agreed. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

usmc-sooner
3/5/2007, 10:23 AM
Why? Tito couldn't hang with him at all before, and there's no way he could hang with him this time.

I like seeing Tito get beat.

n8v_ndn
3/5/2007, 12:32 PM
What about the Drew McFedries/Martin Kampmann fight? The Dane took some heavy punches, yet was able to put McFedries out w/ a wicked arm triangle...

MiccoMacey
3/5/2007, 02:23 PM

This may stem from college wrestling, where we saw some guy win a NCAA championship solely because he was so large no one could move him. He had sub-par wrestling skills. He just weighed over 400 pounds.

I'm not sure I want to see a UFC fight where someone wins only because he's so large he can't be taken down, and if he falls on you he squishes you. There's no entertainment in that.

tbl
3/5/2007, 02:47 PM
This may stem from college wrestling, where we saw some guy win a NCAA championship solely because he was so large no one could move him. He had sub-par wrestling skills. He just weighed over 400 pounds.

I'm not sure I want to see a UFC fight where someone wins only because he's so large he can't be taken down, and if he falls on you he squishes you. There's no entertainment in that.
Wrestling and MMA are not even close. Obviously there are some wrestling skills used in MMA, but size does not matter.

Case in point. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0_svVIDORQ)

usmc-sooner
3/5/2007, 03:11 PM
Wrestling and MMA are not even close. Obviously there are some wrestling skills used in MMA, but size does not matter.

Case in point. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0_svVIDORQ)

I disagree, MMA is a lot closer to collegiate wrestling than your giving them credit for. A lot of these guys were wrestlers like Liddell, Coutoure, Hughes, Syvia, Trigg, Schultz, Severn and so on. Size does matter that's why St. Pierre and Hughes aren't the Heavyweight champions. You take 2 guys who are both in shape and of the same skill level and the advantage is going to on the side of the bigger guy.

tbl
3/5/2007, 03:15 PM
I know dude, but we're talking about heavyweights. The argument was made that some big fat 400 pound dude could come in there and beat a ripped, multi-skilled 220 pounder just based on size, which I totally disagree with. Had Tim Sylvia been 50 pounds heavier, I still think Couture would have beat him.

usmc-sooner
3/5/2007, 03:25 PM
well before you enter the octagon, you have to have a clean bill of health, normal blood pressure and I don't think a 400lber is going to pass that anyways.
The advantage is always going to be to the larger guy, just more weight behind his punch. I don't think Sylvia was evenly matched as far conditioning or skill level of Randy

Micco were you referring to Mitch Shelton in wrestling?

DustySooner
3/5/2007, 03:29 PM
Never count out Couture. You might be suprised when he faces Cro Cop.

tbl
3/5/2007, 03:35 PM
That'd make him hands down the best fighter in MMA history... seriously.

DustySooner
3/5/2007, 03:50 PM
That'd make him hands down the best fighter in MMA history... seriously.

If you're talkin about Randy, I'd agree....almost. He still has unfinished business with ole Chuck.

I also agree with you on the Sylvia being heavier comment. Randy was not losing to Sylvia that night no matter what the weight difference was.

OU4LIFE
3/6/2007, 08:30 AM
well before you enter the octagon, you have to have a clean bill of health, normal blood pressure and I don't think a 400lber is going to pass that anyways.
The advantage is always going to be to the larger guy, just more weight behind his punch. I don't think Sylvia was evenly matched as far conditioning or skill level of Randy

Micco were you referring to Mitch Shelton in wrestling?

See, we're not really talking about a 400 lber though, UFC limit is 265, that eliminates guys like Mark Hunt from ever coming over. And Fedor is close to that limit too.

My point is, if you take a guy Silvias size, and put some musle on him, at 6 foot 8, he'd EASILY be over 265...and wouldn't be eligible to fight.

I think that THIS is the reason that the UFC HVWT division pretty much sucks compared to Pride.

springs sooner
3/6/2007, 10:13 AM
Back i nthe day Keith Hackney was about 190 - 200 when he put a beat down on 600 lb Emanual Yarborough who was a sumo wrestler. Smaller guys are a little quicker than the bigs guys and as long as they dont fall on you you can stick and move until you drop them then pounce on them.

tbl
3/6/2007, 10:34 AM
Again, I totally agree with OU4. I figured the point had been made that big guys have no real advantage in MMA, but I guess not.

Also, Fedor is only 227, so nothing stopping him from coming over.

I foresee a merging of the powers to create something similar to boxing with the different belts. I know it'd be tricky to do, especially considering the international aspect, but I think its going to happen eventually. I definitely foresee MMA taking over boxing as the most popular fight sport. Heck thats already started to happen. The sweet science will no longer be king, and will never get back to the top either.

DustySooner
3/6/2007, 12:32 PM
Well, back in the day Royce Gracie would fight dudes that were twice his size and weight. Royce would get his arse beat for an hour then turn around and arm bar the guy for the win.

So I guess in itself that could kind of argue the point whether weight differences matter in this sport.

KC//CRIMSON
3/10/2007, 05:42 PM
Cro Cop's next opponent/victim in UFC 70: http://youtube.com/watch?v=bSyqiuwo6B0

Dana White Says UFC 70 To Air Free On Spike TV

The following is an excerpt from an interview with UFC president Dana White, conducted by the CBS Sportsline website:

Q: What's the latest with HBO, and will UFC 70 be televised on HBO or PPV?

DW: I don't have the deal done yet, but UFC 70 will be on free television. It's going to be a free TV deal for the fans here in the U.S.

Q: Is it going to be on Spike?

DW: Let's see, yup. I'm the one that's always chirping about how all these guys that destroyed boxing. Everything was f------ you've got to pay for this, you've got to pay for that. I don't like to make the fans pay for every fight we have. I like to have a lot of good fights for free, and this is a great fight that we'd be giving to the fans for free.

Q: Is UFC 70 definitely going to be on Spike, or might it be on a different network?

DW: It's probably going to be on Spike.

Good read here.Talks about some upcoming fights: Five Ounces of Pain: Dana White interview (Part 1 of 2)
http://cbs.sportsline.com/boxing/story/10050453

tbl
3/10/2007, 08:59 PM
Eh Nice! I just hope he doesn't end up pulling programming from Spike and giving it to HBO. I thoroughly enjoy TUF & UFC Fight Night, or basically any UFC programming that comes on Spike. I don't have HBO so if they pull out of Spike that will be teh succ. I don't see Spike letting them get away though... If they do, they're insane.

That said, boxing should go ahead and throw in the towel. The change has happened and I don't think it will ever go back... and I used to be a HUGE boxing fan.

tbl
3/10/2007, 11:53 PM
That interview was pretty interesting. One thing about Dana White is that he's very open about who he is. He seems like a prick on all the UFC promo stuff, and he's the same prick in interviews.

Good stuff. Also looks like UFC is staying with Spike...

KC//CRIMSON
3/11/2007, 02:04 PM
Dana White isn't the most well spoken/smartest CEO. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pxUzeHTX1s

In other news.......

Chuck is wacky. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrjCflihb40

Chuck has lost his mind. - http://ufcmania.com/2007/02/23/chuck-liddell-is-insane/

tbl
3/11/2007, 03:30 PM
There's no doubt that Dana White makes himself look like an incredible ***, a lot of the time. If he would just learn to not cuss in interviews, it would do wonders for him. Every interview I've seen with him he's cussing like a 16 year old.

usmc-sooner
3/11/2007, 04:07 PM
There's no doubt that Dana White makes himself look like an incredible ***, a lot of the time. If he would just learn to not cuss in interviews, it would do wonders for him. Every interview I've seen with him he's cussing like a 16 year old.

my thoughts exactly