PDA

View Full Version : My son has the biggest zits I've ever seen

sanantoniosooner
3/3/2007, 04:53 PM
Apparently it is some kind of staph infection. One on the bridge of his nose and on on the inner rim of his nose. I can only imagine how bad it hurts. His entire nose and even the upper lip is swollen like crazy.

Has anyone had to deal with this personally?

Hamhock
3/3/2007, 05:01 PM
the only way to tell if it is a staph infection is to taste the discharge.

please report back.

KC//CRIMSON
3/3/2007, 05:02 PM
You'll need a bottle of whiskey and a hot knife.

please report back.

SicEmBaylor
3/3/2007, 05:05 PM
How old is your son?

sanantoniosooner
3/3/2007, 05:16 PM

soonerhubs
3/3/2007, 05:25 PM
Poor guy. I assume you've taken him to a dermatologist. That'd be my first move.

sanantoniosooner
3/3/2007, 05:49 PM
Our doctor was out of town so we went to the am/pm clinic today. They did a culture on it(wont know for 2 days for sure what it is) and prescribed antibiotic and a topical ointment.

soonerhubs
3/3/2007, 05:50 PM
Our doctor was out of town so we went to the am/pm clinic today. They did a culture on it(wont know for 2 days for sure what it is) and prescribed antibiotic and a topical ointment.
That sucks. I'd say give him some pain pills and have him take a long nap for the day.

sanantoniosooner
3/3/2007, 05:57 PM
bwahahaha

people are dishing out stars on a child health thread.

hilarious.

Chuck Bao
3/3/2007, 07:48 PM
Yeah, antibiotics is very important and needed very quickly. And, I'm guessing that's all they can and will do at this stage.

Of course, the longer you wait the bigger chance of permanent scarring. Why did you wait so long?

Please note that I'm not a medical doctor.

Maybe this is important and there is geniune concern and hence the stars.

SoonerStormchaser
3/3/2007, 07:58 PM
TTIWWP!

Widescreen
3/3/2007, 08:28 PM
I REALLY misread the title of this thread. :O

sanantoniosooner
3/3/2007, 09:20 PM
Yeah, antibiotics is very important and needed very quickly. And, I'm guessing that's all they can and will do at this stage.

Of course, the longer you wait the bigger chance of permanent scarring. Why did you wait so long?

Please note that I'm not a medical doctor.

Maybe this is important and there is geniune concern and hence the stars.
Well, it had three stars which generally indicates a 1 and a 5. I must be real controversial.

As to why we waited. There was a small zit two days ago. Today it was huge and had a friend.

My brother, who is a doctor btw......said that the pregnisone (sp?) he was on to help with an asthma flare up probably helped the infection to go nuts. Steroids suppress the immune system.

The poor kid had a viral infection about 10 days ago with 104+ temperature. He kicked that, but his asthma flared up as it likes to piggyback on other sickness for him. Then this infection goes crazy on and around his nose. He's also had a headache with the infection that motrin, tylenol and two types of excedrin couldn't whip.

BajaOklahoma
3/3/2007, 09:27 PM
Staph can be hard to treat as one of the strains is resistant to the most common antibiotics. So you will need to take care to treat it and to not let it stread.
Clean sheets daily, same with towels.

Czar Soonerov
3/3/2007, 09:42 PM
http://www.hollywoodteenmovies.com/AnimalGallery1.jpg

Frozen Sooner
3/3/2007, 10:05 PM
We're going to need a young priest and an old priest.

Do you happen to have a bell, book, or candle lying around the house? Whatever you don't have, pick up at the store on the way home.

H8HOGS
3/3/2007, 10:47 PM

I would definitely go to your REAL doctor on Monday...I had a large pocket on my leg and one of those AM/PM clinics said it will go away..

Well it would have but not as nearly as fast as going to my real doctor on Monday and getting it drained.

GO TO YOUR REAL DOCTOR AT FIRST CHANCE.....

SoonerGirl06
3/3/2007, 11:20 PM

I don't think that waiting a few days will increase the risk of permanent scarring. Most of the scarring that comes from acne is when it's messed with and the surrounding tissue is damaged.

Best thing to do is not to bother it, keep the area clean and apply meds that will help them to go away.

SoonerGirl06
3/3/2007, 11:24 PM
Well, it had three stars which generally indicates a 1 and a 5. I must be real controversial.

As to why we waited. There was a small zit two days ago. Today it was huge and had a friend.

My brother, who is a doctor btw......said that the pregnisone (sp?) he was on to help with an asthma flare up probably helped the infection to go nuts. Steroids suppress the immune system.

The poor kid had a viral infection about 10 days ago with 104+ temperature. He kicked that, but his asthma flared up as it likes to piggyback on other sickness for him. Then this infection goes crazy on and around his nose. He's also had a headache with the infection that motrin, tylenol and two types of excedrin couldn't whip.

The fact that his system was stressed from being sick can cause a flare up of acne. The prednisone for his asthma definitely didn't help either.

Is he on any type of multi-vitamins or Vitamin C? If he isn't you may want to check with your doctor about having him take some. They help keep the immune system up and help deter some of the bugs that your son seems to be experiencing lately.

royalfan5
3/3/2007, 11:27 PM
My mom had a staph infection on her nose last summer like that. She took anti-biotics, and she had a recurrance of staph a month or so ago, and had to take a double dose of anti-biotics.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/4/2007, 12:05 AM
If your kid has bad acne, you should get him to a dermatologist. That was the best thing my parents did for me. I had pretty bad acne in elementary school. I went to a dermatologist and by junior high I had clear skin and no scarring. Even though lots of kids have acne problems, it's still not a good thing.

VeeJay
3/4/2007, 01:17 AM
Clearasil never seemed to help much.

Fortunately, the Edward James Olmos look dodged me. When I shave, I'm smoove.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/4/2007, 01:24 AM
The best remedy for a "normal" zit is toothpaste.

SoonerGirl06
3/4/2007, 01:26 AM
The best remedy for a "normal" zit is toothpaste.

I was going to say that... but you beat me too it.

When my sister was in modeling that's what they used to tell her to put on them. Clears them up like nobody's business.

tommieharris91
3/4/2007, 01:43 AM
When my sister was in modeling that's what they used to tell her to put on them. Clears them up like nobody's business.

This post is worthless without (good) pics.

sanantoniosooner
3/4/2007, 08:40 AM
These weren't "normal" zits.

They were mutant puss pockets.

Hopefully they are better this morning. I drained both last night and cleaned the area real good before applying some ointment. I have yet to see them today.

VeeJay
3/4/2007, 09:16 AM
I've often wondered about puss.

Harry Beanbag
3/4/2007, 12:01 PM
I've often wondered about puss.

So has Sicem. ;)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/4/2007, 12:14 PM
Okay, NOW this thread deserves its stars!

sanantoniosooner
3/4/2007, 12:29 PM
Okay, NOW this thread deserves its stars!
You've got a very low threshold for humor.;)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/4/2007, 01:45 PM
You've got a very low threshold for humor.;)Best to be a disciple of Bobby Mc Ferrin(sp?)

sanantoniosooner
3/6/2007, 04:59 PM
Holy Crap

The culture came back and its MRSA (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007261.htm)

I'm glad we caught it when we did. This stuff can get real ugly. Quickly also. Especially in someone with an immune system already suppressed by steroids.

StoopTroup
3/6/2007, 06:41 PM
Where is Sicem these days?

Is he still posting?

OUDoc
3/6/2007, 06:50 PM
Did they put him on Bactrim? Hopefully.

Sooner Mommy
3/6/2007, 10:30 PM
I hope your son is doing better! Those can be painful.

My 7 year old daughter had recurrent MRSA infections for about a year. They would start as tiny pinpoints, then grow to about the size of eggs with HUGE green heads. She'd also run fever and feel pretty crummy in general. Her doc always treated with oral antibiotics. Finally, almost a year ago, we went to the doc's office AGAIN, and he admitted her to the hospital for IV antibiotics and a culture. After 3 days in the hospital, the doc sent us home with oral antibiotics, a black salve for the sore itself (Rx name is Icthammol - smells and looks like tar, but it helps to draw out infection), and Bactroban for the inside of her nose, where she was colonized with the MRSA. I think the combination of all of that worked - she's only had 2 sores in the last year, and they were very small.

The advice to clean bedding and towels daily is right - we had our hot water heater set nearly to "boil" and washed everything everyday. No one shared any linen or bedding.

Good luck to your boy!

SoonerGirl06
3/6/2007, 10:43 PM
Holy Crap

The culture came back and its MRSA (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007261.htm)

I'm glad we caught it when we did. This stuff can get real ugly. Quickly also. Especially in someone with an immune system already suppressed by steroids.

Good heavens! That's not good. I hope everyone in the household is taking the necessary precautions. FYI good handwashing is important.

Good luck to your son.

sanantoniosooner
3/6/2007, 10:44 PM
Did they put him on Bactrim? Hopefully.
yes

C&CDean
3/6/2007, 10:47 PM
Probably picked the **** up from the Puerto Rican.

sanantoniosooner
3/6/2007, 11:23 PM
He's been in the hospital enough that there's a good chance he just brought it home from there.

SoonerTerry
3/6/2007, 11:25 PM
I REALLY misread the title of this thread. :O

Coffee on the monitor at work aint cool man...

SoonerTerry
3/6/2007, 11:30 PM
These weren't "normal" zits.

They were mutant puss pockets.

Hopefully they are better this morning. I drained both last night and cleaned the area real good before applying some ointment. I have yet to see them today.

You my friend are a world class Dad....

Reminds me of when the kid had tubes put in his ears... my wife would hurl everytime she saw the drainage. It was REMERKABLY thick. If you looked at it, it would stick to ya and strech accross the house.