PDA

View Full Version : what pro team should I root for?

OUAndy1807
3/3/2007, 02:51 PM
I am thinking I will start following baseball again and I need a team to root for. I'd prefer someone whose games are on quite a bit in the OKC area so that I can watch them and I have the following preferences already:

* I usually pull for Boston because of my extreme hatred for the Yankees.
* I don't really care to pull for Texas teams.
* I would start rooting for the Cardinals, but I don't want to be a bandwagon jumpers
* I have no desire to root for a team from Chicago whose front office has no desire to win and whose fans are happy being the lovable losers.

Are there any other options? The Royals maybe?

Ardmore_Sooner
3/3/2007, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't accuse you of being a bandwagon jumper if you became a Cardinal fan, I'd be happy knowing that another soul has seen the light! :D

Ike
3/3/2007, 03:25 PM
The White Sox.

The only downside is that if you really want to follow them, you need an Ozzie-To-English translator for the press conferences.

reevie
3/4/2007, 08:40 PM
Get that MLB Extra Innings package, start watching games. You'll find out that you end up watching a team or two more often. I was surprised how often I would watch the Reds and Angels.

Just a note of caution if you decide to do this, they black out all Cardinal, Royal, Ranger and Astro games in the OKC market.

setem
3/4/2007, 08:47 PM
Oakland!!!!

Even though Barry Zito is a money grubbing bastard!

SleestakSooner
3/4/2007, 10:55 PM
I have been an Astros fan for nearly 30 years and they have been a lot of fun to watch lately. Even if Clemens is a Tucking Fexas grad and he may return for another year with the team they are a refreshing throw back style team that plays hard and has a great manager.

royalfan5
3/4/2007, 11:08 PM
Get on the Royals bandwagon now.

tommieharris91
3/4/2007, 11:39 PM
Umm... don't root for the White Sox, right now you'll be called a bandwagoneer and Josh Fields will probably be their 3rd baseman by the end of the year.

Royals... I really don't know anything about their team, other than they haven't been good for awhile.

Cardinal fans are usually pretty classy. Their team usually does well, too. Their new ballpark looks nice, even though I've never been there. I don't like 'em, but I'm biased.

Of my friends from texas, Houston Astros seem more popular. I don't like 'em either, but I'm biased.

I'm a Cubs fan. Yea sure, my team spent a lot of money in the offseason, but I think a lot of it is in the wrong place and was reactionary. It's kinda like oSu saying they're serious about football after building their facilities.

royalfan5
3/4/2007, 11:50 PM
The White Sox.

The only downside is that if you really want to follow them, you need an Ozzie-To-English translator for the press conferences.
and you might get attacked by their fans if they are on drugs and mistake your baserunning signs for obscene gestures. Ask Tom Gamboa

Ike
3/5/2007, 12:20 AM
Umm... don't root for the White Sox, right now you'll be called a bandwagoneer and Josh Fields will probably be their 3rd baseman by the end of the year.

Royals... I really don't know anything about their team, other than they haven't been good for awhile.

Cardinal fans are usually pretty classy. Their team usually does well, too. Their new ballpark looks nice, even though I've never been there. I don't like 'em, but I'm biased.

Of my friends from texas, Houston Astros seem more popular. I don't like 'em either, but I'm biased.

I'm a Cubs fan. Yea sure, my team spent a lot of money in the offseason, but I think a lot of it is in the wrong place and was reactionary. It's kinda like oSu saying they're serious about football after building their facilities.

Oh please...the sox are the only team to ever win a world series and not get a bandwagon out of it.

Sooner74
3/5/2007, 12:29 AM
I would say go for a team in the NL Central. Year in and year out it is by far the most competitive top to bottom. Between the Reds, Cardinals, Brewers, Pirates, Astros, Cubs you can't go wrong. Since you don't like half those teams I would go with a team like the reds.

tommieharris91
3/5/2007, 01:07 AM
Oh please...the sox are the only team to ever win a world series and not get a bandwagon out of it.

No, the only times they'd ever sell out their dump of a stadium was when the Cubs or Yankees would play there. After their World Series win, they started selling well. I also noticed a lot of sux merchandise popping up, even around Norman, after they won the WS.

royalfan5
3/5/2007, 09:13 AM
A team has to have some likable qualities to get a bandwagon. Name a likeable Sock. And if there was one they are canceled out by Ozzie and A.J.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
3/5/2007, 09:32 AM
A team has to have some likable qualities to get a bandwagon. Name a likeable Sock. And if there was one they are canceled out by Ozzie and A.J.

AJ is the biggest tool in baseball. I hate that guy. The best is when he got clocked by Barrett!!!!!!

Boomer_Sooner_sax
3/5/2007, 11:35 AM
I say Astros. I know you aren't looking for a texas team, but they have good pitching this year, not great like years past, and they have upped there offense some. Besides, Morgan Ensberg is one of the nicest guys in baseball and all of the players are pretty cool as well. No tools on this team.

snp
3/5/2007, 03:04 PM
Astros.

The past 3 years the season has came down to the last regular season game. I know I'm biased towards them, but they have had some of the most exciting games in recent years.

Just a note of caution if you decide to do this, they black out all Cardinal, Royal, Ranger and Astro games in the OKC market.

Wish I would've known this before I sprung for the satellite package last year. That was a great waste of $160. I'm going to spring for MLB.tv this year and go through a proxy. Hopefully that'll work.

snp
3/5/2007, 03:13 PM
* I usually pull for Boston because of my extreme hatred for the Yankees.
* I would start rooting for the Cardinals, but I don't want to be a bandwagon jumpers

Boston is the biggest bandwagon in all of sports. I'm so sick of the pity party that Boston gets. They're almost as bad about spending as the Yankees they just don't have the hardware to show for it.

Also, the Marlins will be a fun team to watch for the next few years. Lots of young talent that probably won't be cut until the Marlins win another WS in the next couple of years.

royalfan5
3/5/2007, 04:33 PM
http://deadspin.com/sports/baseball/baseball-season-preview-kansas-city-royals-241517.php

This aptly sums up the experience of a Royals fan the last few years. How could you turn that down?

Boomer_Sooner_sax
3/5/2007, 05:45 PM
Besides, Minute Maid Park is one of the coolest parks in the country...can't argue with the big train in left field!

reevie
3/5/2007, 05:57 PM
Pirates. You'll thank me later.

Jason Bay and OCU's Freddie Sanchez definately make them worthy to watch.

reevie
3/5/2007, 06:00 PM
Also, the Marlins will be a fun team to watch for the next few years. Lots of young talent that probably won't be cut until the Marlins win another WS in the next couple of years.

But don't get too attached as they will do another fire sale to rid themselves of salary after they win another WS.

OUAndy1807
3/5/2007, 06:28 PM
so who do we get on television in OKC a lot?

snp
3/5/2007, 07:08 PM
Rangers and Cardinals.

I understand the Cardinals, but no one likes the Rangers. I see more Astros fans on campus than Rangers fans.

OUAndy1807
3/5/2007, 07:20 PM
I was born in Houston, so I may be able to root for the astros, but I don't think there is any way that I can root for a team from Dallas.

King Crimson
3/5/2007, 09:19 PM
Cardinals, Andy. the DH sucks and the Rangers are a waste of time.

reevie
3/5/2007, 09:51 PM
so who do we get on television in OKC a lot?

Cox Channel 7 has shown alot of Cardinal games the past several years. Fox Sports Southwest shows the Astros and Rangers. Seems to me more Astro games than Rangers. TBS doesn't air the Braves like they used to. WGN shows Cubs and seems to be airing more White Sox games over the past few years. That's about it for who you can see regularly.

OUAndy1807
3/5/2007, 10:24 PM
Cards it is. If anyone asks, I'll say that I've been a fan since day 1.

royalfan5
3/5/2007, 10:38 PM
dead to me.

Flying Scotsman
3/5/2007, 10:52 PM
Though it doesn't meet your specifications....

The AMAZIN' METS!

snp
3/5/2007, 11:10 PM
Fox Sports Southwest shows the Astros and Rangers. Seems to me more Astro games than Rangers.

Not a chance. There's hardly any Astros on TV up here.

illinisooner
3/6/2007, 01:21 AM
I'm biased, but Cards and White Sox are great choices. Don't even think about the Cubs...the majority of their "fans" are people who think it's cool to hang out at Wrigley and drink but don't know much about baseball. Obviously not true about all Cub fans though, and that's mostly around the Chicago area. The Sox have a smaller fanbase, but they are much more passionate and knowledgeable about the game than the majority of Cub fans. But forget about seeing the Sox on TV down here, they're on once or twice a week on WGN, sometimes ESPN.

The Cards have a great fanbase, great tradition, great history, etc and have a huge following all over the midwest. Basically all of their games are on TV in Oklahoma, thanks to Cox, so you can see them pretty much every night. I'd say the Cards are your team, and St. Louis is a decent place to spend a weekend if you ever want to go to a few ballgames. Of course, it is the most dangerous city in the country, but nonetheless a good time!

The Rangers are on TV alot and you'll find a few displaced fans in OK (Mostly college kids from Dallas), but they aren't the most amazing team in history. I'm not sure if they've won a playoff series, but they have a nice ballpark and games are generally exciting. Stay away from the Astros and their weird ballpark. The Royals would be cool if you're into losing, but then you'd probably be an OSU fan too. I feel bad for KC, they have a great park and great fans, unfortunately, not a great team.

King Crimson
3/6/2007, 02:59 AM
also, re: the Cardinals.....in Oklahoma back in the pre TV days you could get Cardinal games on KMOX.....that's one of the reasons the Cards are big in OK. My granddad used to listen to Cardinal games on the radio.

OSUAggie
3/6/2007, 10:56 AM
Get on the Royals bandwagon now.

heh... Your boy Alex gonna be the savior?

If I were a bandwagon person I'd go with the Sox, only because they play the game how I think it should be played and I like Ozzie.

Watching Carl Crawford stretch a double to a triple is one of the greatest sites in the world (as is the case with Jose Reyes). I like watching the Marlins develop into a series contender then refuse to pay their players only to start the process over every 5 years.

Baseball in the NE/Midwest/California is better to watch because the people actually care about baseball in those regions.

I'm a Mets fan. They should be fun to watch this year.

royalfan5
3/6/2007, 11:40 AM
heh... Your boy Alex gonna be the savior?

If I were a bandwagon person I'd go with the Sox, only because they play the game how I think it should be played and I like Ozzie.

Watching Carl Crawford stretch a double to a triple is one of the greatest sites in the world (as is the case with Jose Reyes). I like watching the Marlins develop into a series contender then refuse to pay their players only to start the process over every 5 years.

Baseball in the NE/Midwest/California is better to watch because the people actually care about baseball in those regions.

I'm a Mets fan. They should be fun to watch this year.
Between him and Billy Butler, the Royals are going to be able to score some runs in the near future.

colleyvillesooner
3/6/2007, 12:31 PM
Sadly, I;m a Rangers fan. :O

illinisooner
3/6/2007, 06:31 PM
Anyone know why there's no Nebraska flag flying with all the other Big 12 team flags at L Dale Mitchell?

Boarder
3/7/2007, 12:29 AM
I like the Phillies. Talk about hopeless.

I really liked Mike Schmidt back in the day. Then Lenny Dykstra/John Kruk/Darren Daulton were cool. If I were going to want to hurt someone badly it would be Mitch Williams.

I don't follow them super closely nowadays.

Ruuuuuufus
3/7/2007, 01:29 AM
I'm not sure if they've won a playoff series, but they have a nice ballpark and games are generally exciting. Stay away from the Astros and their weird ballpark.

I've been to many games both in Arlington and Houston, and I gotta say I agree. Minute Maid is nice and air conditioned and all, but even with the roof closed it's so quiet in there. I was at Clemens first game back this summer and even in a sold out park everyone was sitting on their hands. Baseball inside just doesn't feel like baseball... not that it ever was much better with the roof open.

Not a chance. There's hardly any Astros on TV up here.
Astros games are on Fox Sports SW all the time, as often as the Rangers. I've tuned in to try and catch a Rangers game only to find the Astros several times.

OSUAggie
3/7/2007, 01:32 AM
Phils are pretty fun to watch... when they're not on D. They drafted a ton of arms in the past 5-6 years, but none of them have really panned out (although Myers has been decent the last couple of years). Garcia might give them some hope, but Citizen's Bank Park doesn't help. Rollins, Utley, Rowand and Howard are pretty exciting to watch in the field and at the plate.

They might contend in the East.

OSUAggie
3/7/2007, 01:34 AM
Astros games are on Fox Sports SW all the time, as often as the Rangers. I've tuned in to try and catch a Rangers game only to find the Astros several times.

I think last year they split up the games where part of the region gets Rangers games and the other part gets Astros games... I always got Rangers games instead of Houston.

SleestakSooner
3/7/2007, 08:19 AM

In that case I hope you get Poo Holes'd :P

Boomer_Sooner_sax
3/7/2007, 08:55 AM
I've been to many games both in Arlington and Houston, and I gotta say I agree. Minute Maid is nice and air conditioned and all, but even with the roof closed it's so quiet in there. I was at Clemens first game back this summer and even in a sold out park everyone was sitting on their hands. Baseball inside just doesn't feel like baseball... not that it ever was much better with the roof open.

You obviously weren't there for the 2005 NLCS and World Series. That place was rocking! On that note, when Pujols hit that homer off Lidge in Game 5 of the NLCS, it was from deafining to deathly silent in two seconds. Pujols said he could hear the dirt between his cleats rounding the bases.

Sooner74
3/7/2007, 11:06 PM
I don't know what that guy is talking about. Houston has some of the most loyal fans courtesy of Bagwell and Biggio. That place gets really really loud. I think you should give that place another go because you ain't given it justice.

illinisooner
3/7/2007, 11:34 PM
I've gotta give Astros fans credit, they're pretty knowledgeable and can make the Juice Box a pretty loud place. Of course, having the roof closed helps! I just can't get over the little league left field dimensions and some of the other quirks...maybe I'm just a traditionalist. And Minute Maid provided me with one of my all time favorite baseball moments, the Pujols HR vs. Lidge (Has it landed yet?) in 2005. And the whole White Sox winning the World Series thing!

Ruuuuuufus
3/8/2007, 12:39 AM
You obviously weren't there for the 2005 NLCS and World Series. That place was rocking!

what place isn't for the LCS/WS ?

snp
3/8/2007, 01:34 AM
Minute Maid Park is one of the louder stadiums in baseball. I've often heard it cited as one of the tougher places to play. The Astros are a great home team, damn near unbeatable towards the end of the year at the Juice Box.

No way. The past two years I've gotten the MLB.tv and Extra Innings just to watch the Astros. I think I'd know.

what place isn't for the LCS/WS ?

Turner Field.

King Crimson
3/8/2007, 05:11 AM
Enron is a tiny home run park. boo.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
3/8/2007, 08:53 AM
I work at Minute Maid and trust me, it gets loud with and without the roof. They also had over 3,000,000 fans go through last year for only the third time ever, and Clemens only pitched half a year. The demenions are small to left, but there are reasons for it and some compensations. They did put a 25 ft high wall as per MLB to compensate for the short porch, but trust me, there are plenty of homers that would clear any park. Also, it is short because if you have ever been to Minute Maid, you know that it is bordered by Crawford St. and US 59. They had to squeeze the demensions to fit the park on the piece of land, which is pretty good in a downtown area that is pretty crowded. It is a quirky place, but I absoultely love it. There is no bad seat in the house and it is a very intimate park.

snp
3/8/2007, 11:47 AM
Score me some tickets?

Ruuuuuufus
3/8/2007, 02:34 PM
No way. The past two years I've gotten the MLB.tv and Extra Innings just to watch the Astros. I think I'd know.

are you kidding? Just look at the schedule. In April, Fox Sports SW is broadcasting 11 Rangers games and 10 Astros games (including 6 of Houston's first 9 games).

snp
3/8/2007, 04:55 PM
are you kidding? Just look at the schedule. In April, Fox Sports SW is broadcasting 11 Rangers games and 10 Astros games (including 6 of Houston's first 9 games).

Right, but Fox SW will carry just about every Astros game on TV, since FSN Houston falls underneath their umbrella. The problem lies when they have conflicting games. Rangers will always take the precedence of Astros games. But this year it looks like a lot of Rangers games are being broadcast KDFI. We'll see how that goes.

If close to half of the Astros games are on TV this year, I will **** a brick. And then eat that brick.

SleestakSooner
3/9/2007, 08:19 AM
Why does Houston a roof? The heat? I've never been.
I find it hard to like a team with a roof.

It rains a lot in Houston certain times of year. A retractable roof keeps games from being cancelled or delayed. If the sun is shining the roof is opened.

King Crimson
3/9/2007, 04:07 PM
i liked those early 80's Astros teams with JR Richard, Enos Cabell, Cesar Cedeno, Jose Cruz, Craig Reynolds, Joe Morgan etc. but i'm a Cards guy really. i try and pull for the Rockies some since i live up here but their management sucks and they bleed the fans with a mediocre product. i still go to Coors 5-8 times a summer. i'll buy a ticket, but i won't spend a dime in the stadium.

recemp
3/9/2007, 06:32 PM
Reconsider the Cubs.
Although I'm a season ticket holder and see my share of yahoos posing as Cub fans....
It takes a special breed to talk smack when you haven't won for ninety eight years...
By the end of every year when they still can't hit a cut off man or execute a bunt and are complaining that the fans are actually booing them -whatever your station in life, you realize that you aren't as screwed up as these individuals
But, if we ever manage to win the Series you'll be in for the biggest party of your life. They call out the cavalry and block off the streets for the playoffs. The bars around Wrigley were charging $10 to get in to watch the game on television.
You always have pretty girls and beer..
Cardinal fans are good fans. A little straight and seem to be in awe of the big city.
I never did quite get why the Astros have a train in the outfield or a hill and a flag pole???
Milwaukee is cheesy no matter how you go about it. County Stadium was a ball park - Miller is an amusement park.
Pittsburgh is a cool town, haven't been to the ballpark.
I hope Cincy has a better ball park than what I've seen of the town.
Next to the Cubs, I'd go with Fenway and the Red Sox. Great ball park, great party.
But nothing is like the Cubs especially those seasons where we have over-achieving players that will do whatever.
I guess finding the right team would have to entail finding the least arrogant bunch of jerks. If you are disqualifying teams because of their ownership, I don't know if you'll find one anymore.