PDA

View Full Version : Well Hell I couldnt get in trouble here .

olevetonahill
3/3/2007, 01:52 AM
So I may go here and see what I can see .;)

A group of Veterans' are vowing to protect the Vietnam Memorial from
Anti-war protestors, scheduled Mar 17th. The anti-war groups deny any plans
to deface the Vietnam Wall memorial, Veterans plan to ensure they don't.
Anti-war groups are gathering at Constitution Gardens at 12 noon near the
Vietnam Memorial prior to the March on the Pentagon on Saturday, March 17.

http://www.gatheringofeagles.org/
Go to web site to hook up with people from your state.

These folks cant be that stupid can they ?

usmc-sooner
3/3/2007, 02:07 AM
this crap makes me sick

Ardmore_Sooner
3/3/2007, 02:12 AM
Why deface a memorial? These protester need to do something that might make a change, like actually write there local representatives and the people that THEY VOTED FOR! That's a thought.

olevetonahill
3/3/2007, 02:13 AM
this crap makes me sick
Is Ok Bro
It gives us ole crazy bastages a reason to kick asz again .;)

usmc-sooner
3/3/2007, 02:26 AM
you know what's funny is I sat next to this old biker dude at one of the OU games. I thought I was ready to hate this guy, as I thought he was some old hippie, he was one of those guys who rode their bikes to drown out Fred Phelps.
He was an ole Army vet and me as a somewhat young old vet identified with him

SCOUT
3/3/2007, 02:41 AM
My Uncle is about the most liberal person you could ever meet. He joined a biker group that stands in the way of idiot protests like this. He never served in the military but still respects the work brave soldiers do and the work veterans provided. It may be the one area he and I completely agree upon.

I will let him know about this and am sure he will be there to make sure proper respect is maintained.

He lives in the area and I don't BTW, otherwise he and I would both be there!

Flagstaffsooner
3/3/2007, 05:28 AM
Is Ok Bro
It gives us ole crazy bastages a reason to kick asz again .;)I'll lock and load my fighting soldering iron again.

def_lazer_fc
3/3/2007, 06:08 AM
not to anger or offend anyone, but judging by the website, i wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing was misconstrued and blown out of proportion. anti war protesters defacing a memorial? i just can't imagine such ignorance.

VeeJay
3/3/2007, 06:59 AM
not to anger or offend anyone, but judging by the website, i wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing was misconstrued and blown out of proportion. anti war protesters defacing a memorial? i just can't imagine such ignorance.

One word: Berkeley.

Those clowns are capable of anything.

def_lazer_fc
3/3/2007, 07:21 AM
One word: Berkeley.

Those clowns are capable of anything.
but what do you really know of berkely? anything other than a sound bite? this just seems too over the top. and that website is uber conservative to boot. i bet a lot of this is fabricated.

soonerboomer93
3/3/2007, 08:29 AM
didn't some protestors recently deface the lincoln memorial?

jrsooner
3/3/2007, 08:43 AM
you know what's funny is I sat next to this old biker dude at one of the OU games. I thought I was ready to hate this guy, as I thought he was some old hippie, he was one of those guys who rode their bikes to drown out Fred Phelps.
He was an ole Army vet and me as a somewhat young old vet identified with himSounds like my bro-in-law...

Ex-Marine ... Make that None Actively Serving Marine (can you ever be an ex-marine?)
Great family guy.
Rides a harley and goes out with the guys on the bike rides.

Scott D
3/3/2007, 08:55 AM
I have been to that wall. I have seen grown men cry looking at that wall. I've seen women and children rubbing pencils across paper over names on that wall. I'm in full favor of executing anyone who even considers defacing that wall.

Scott D
3/3/2007, 08:56 AM
He was an ole Army vet and me as a somewhat young old vet identified with him

see one day you'll get out and you'll lose the high and tight ;)

jacru
3/3/2007, 08:57 AM
...He never served in the military but still respects the work brave soldiers do and the work veterans provided.
That's a severe hit on his liberal credentials.;)

picasso
3/3/2007, 09:14 AM
are you serious? go check out some pics.

I visit the Vietnam and Korean memorials everytime in D.C. I always look up a guy's name from my hometown and of course Bob Kalsu's.

Okla-homey
3/3/2007, 09:46 AM
I have been to that wall. I have seen grown men cry looking at that wall. I've seen women and children rubbing pencils across paper over names on that wall. I'm in full favor of executing anyone who even considers defacing that wall.

I agree. It's a holy place. A sacred place. Therefore, to me, defacing the VNWM would be like tearing up a church.

fadada1
3/3/2007, 09:46 AM
we have the priviledge (not the right, imo) of being able to protest our government. if you want to do that, go right ahead. but don't come bitching to me (or anyone else) about how you got fired from your job because you decided not to show up to work during your "protest". protest the war if you must, that fine. this current war, and the vietnam war are starting to look very similar in many respects (except for the number of men killed). something needs to change. you can protest the war, but NEVER protest the soldier/sailor/marine.

but BE DAMNED if you are going to deface a war memorial!!!! i would hazard a guess that many of these protesters know some of the names on that wall. and if a group ever did deface that wall, they'd be disgracing that (and every other soldier) person's memory.

i don't know a single name on the wall. my dad knows a couple, as he was at that age during the war (served in the air force, 67-71). the couple times i've been to that wall, i tear up... because it's a sacrifice (both fighting in, and dying for) that few of us will ever know.

i served my time in the navy (93-97) and am proud of it... and would do it again. i didn't pull any triggers in anger, but i have the utmost respect for those that do, did, and have... and have made those sacrifices.

VeeJay
3/3/2007, 11:46 AM
but what do you really know of berkely? anything other than a sound bite? this just seems too over the top. and that website is uber conservative to boot. i bet a lot of this is fabricated.

We've discussed Berkeley here ad nauseum. It's all in the archives - pics, news clips, etc. Take some of the Berkeley crowd to the Vietnam Vets Memorial and there will be some defacing going on - along with the usual crowd of nudists, Che Guevera worshippers, those holding signs reading "Who Needs Oil I Ride The Bus" and young entrepreneurs peddling "Capitalist Pig" t-shirts. Flag burners and those hanging effigies of Bush and Cheney, too.

Need more?

85Sooner
3/3/2007, 11:59 AM
Bring a big bat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frozen Sooner
3/3/2007, 12:16 PM
we have the priviledge (not the right, imo) of being able to protest our government.

You may want to look up something called the First Amendment. Peaceful protest is a right, and it's enumerated.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Sorry, but the statement that the right to protest is a privilege and not a right is the first step towards totalitarianism.

Frozen Sooner
3/3/2007, 12:17 PM
Am I missing something here? The protestors are saying they don't plan to deface anything. I mean, go ahead and protect the memorial-I'm 100% behind that. I'm just not getting the attitude that the protestors are heading to Washington with destruction on their minds.

fadada1
3/3/2007, 12:20 PM
You may want to look up something called the First Amendment. Peaceful protest is a right, and it's enumerated.

Sorry, but the statement that the right to protest is a privilege and not a right is the first step towards totalitarianism.
let's not argue semantics. i think you get my drift.

and just because you have the right to do something, doesn't mean you should - especially when it means getting your *** kicked by a bunch of angry vets whose buddies you've disgraced.

Scott D
3/3/2007, 12:24 PM
Am I missing something here? The protestors are saying they don't plan to deface anything. I mean, go ahead and protect the memorial-I'm 100% behind that. I'm just not getting the attitude that the protestors are heading to Washington with destruction on their minds.

Probably missing two things.

1. It's always easiest to think the worst of people, especially people whom may not necessarily share your beliefs.

2. Generally with most protests in regards to some of the people that may be expected to show up, there is a belief that there will be a minority in attendance whom may attempt to be confrontational and destructive.

Frozen Sooner
3/3/2007, 12:24 PM
I don't think that's semantics. Privilege and right have two very different meanings. Privileges are granted by someone and can be taken away. Rights are inherent and cannot be taken away-although they can be restricted by legislative fiat, the right still exists.

Of course, as you said, your employer still has the right to fire you if you don't show up while you're exercising your right to peaceably protest.

And of course you don't have the right to cause property damage of any sort while protesting.

fadada1
3/3/2007, 12:36 PM
yeah, yeah. i'm being an ignorant hillbillie today.

sometimes i wonder how people could ever question the sacrifice of our military (past and present). i don't agree with this stupid war, but i support our troops. voice your opinion by voting the current morons out of office.

Frozen Sooner
3/3/2007, 12:40 PM
I don't know either. I guess someone could be so morally opposed to violence and war that they don't respect anyone who volunteers to fight-but that view is pretty anathema to me. I dislike war on general principle, but sometimes it's necessary to fight, and I'd rather have a well-trained and well-equipped military on my side if it's necessary.

The policy-makers are the ones to get mad at when we're in bad war, not the people fighting it.

Okla-homey
3/3/2007, 01:40 PM

Mike,
I agree in principle, but when these "peaceable assemblies" turn violent, or directly infinge on others rights, the gubmint has the authority and power under the Constitution to enforce applicable laws against such tomfoolery.

IOW, if a bunch of yahoos try to block folks access to the monument in order to make some kind of political statement, that crosses the line. They can and should be arrested if they refuse to disperse or comply with instructions. That is, IMHO, the very essence of Gandhian "civil disobedience" -- do what you feel you must, but don't cry "fascist pig" if you refuse to comply and the cops whack you with a stick and haul you off. That goes with the territory.

Alternatively, if they want to stand around in some Park Service designated spot near the VNWM to wave their signs and sing Joan Baez songs, that's fine.

fadada1
3/3/2007, 02:16 PM
... and sing Joan Baez songs...
grounds enough for being hauled off to the clink.

Frozen Sooner
3/3/2007, 03:07 PM
Mike,
I agree in principle, but when these "peaceable assemblies" turn violent, or directly infinge on others rights, the gubmint has the authority and power under the Constitution to enforce applicable laws against such tomfoolery.

IOW, if a bunch of yahoos try to block folks access to the monument in order to make some kind of political statement, that crosses the line. They can and should be arrested if they refuse to disperse or comply with instructions. That is, IMHO, the very essence of Gandhian "civil disobedience" -- do what you feel you must, but don't cry "fascist pig" if you refuse to comply and the cops whack you with a stick and haul you off. That goes with the territory.

Alternatively, if they want to stand around in some Park Service designated spot near the VNWM to wave their signs and sing Joan Baez songs, that's fine.

I don't disagree with you one bit.

As the old libertarian refrain goes, your right to swing your fist ends at the end of my nose.

Blocking my reasonable access to a public site is not peaceable assembly and airing of greivances. Although it is passive, it is still violent.