PDA

View Full Version : Who's Really Got Scoreboard?

SoonerFaninAZ
3/2/2007, 11:40 AM
I’ve got a couple of questions. The main question is “when does a team have scoreboard on another team.” (And does it apply to all sports?)

Example: The Texas Longhorns beat the Sooners last season. But wouldn’t it be generally accepted that the Sooners had the better season? They won the Big XII; they finished higher in all polls.

So who really has scoreboard?

And can it cross over to other sports? The Chicago Cubs beat the St. Louis Cardinals 11 of 19 times last season. The Cardinals won the World Series. Who’s got scoreboard?

The second question is really what precipitated the above question. What is the hierarchy of goals for a college football team—the Sooners specifically?

A friend and I were discussing how some teams seem to have a top goal of beating their rival. It really ends there. What are the goals of the Sooners? I would offer up these off the top of my head. And does accomplishing a higher goal trump missing out on a lower goal?

1) National Championship
2) Big XII Championship
3) High Poll Finish
4) Win 11 Games
5) Win Bowl Game
6) Win Big XII South
7) Beat Texas
8) Beat OSU
9) Beat Nebraska
10) Etc.

If you reach the highest goal, does that trump a rival’s season? Does the Sooners winning the Big XII trump Texas not winning, even though the Sooners lost to Texas?

And perhaps there are “conditions” to the above goals. Assuming failure in the top two goals, does finishing one place higher than Texas in the polls trump losing to Texas?

I know a number of Texas posters—even a couple on this board I think—have “57-39-5” in their signatures, obviously referring to the series advantage. I look at this and think that a “7-4” signature from an Oklahoma fan outweighs the Longhorn.

PDXsooner
3/2/2007, 12:23 PM
scoreboard is pretty black and white. the last team that won straight up. but setting your sights on scoreboard is a little short-sighted. i'd rather have the conference title than scoreboard. however, if i were a texas fan listening to an OU fan talk trash i would certainly pull out the scoreboard claim.

the best thing to do is win all your games, so you don't have to worry about it.

OSUAggie
3/2/2007, 12:26 PM
Then there is all-time scoreboard (something I can use only on powers such as Kansas State, Iowa State, Kansas, Alabama, etc.. you know, the powers). That is a good trump card for regular scoreboard.

SoonerFaninAZ
3/2/2007, 12:53 PM
Then there is all-time scoreboard (something I can use only on powers such as Kansas State, Iowa State, Kansas, Alabama, etc.. you know, the powers). That is a good trump card for regular scoreboard.

But doesn't all-time Championships trump all-time scoreboard?

jccouger
3/2/2007, 01:19 PM
This is pretty dumb.

Scoreboard means whoever won during the last meaning. Stop being a aggy. Texas has scoreboard on us.

SoonerFaninAZ
3/2/2007, 01:22 PM
This is pretty dumb.

Scoreboard means whoever won during the last meaning. Stop being a aggy. Texas has scoreboard on us.

OK, so scoreboard, or the W/L between two teams takes precedent over all?

What's most important? Does "7-4" trump "57-39-5"?

SoonerStud615
3/2/2007, 04:51 PM
OU can never have scoreboard until we get a NEW scoreboard at Owen.

tommieharris91
3/2/2007, 04:59 PM
In this case, fulfilling #1 means fulfilling all other goals, there's really no way around it. Yes, I know about 2003...

RedstickSooner
3/2/2007, 08:24 PM
What's most important? Does "7-4" trump "57-39-5"?

Nope. Sadly, it doesn't.

oufan1
3/2/2007, 09:12 PM
Then there is all-time sheep humping scoreboard (something I can use all the time. That is a good trump card for regular scoreboard because OSU sucks at everything else.
:eek:

Doged
3/2/2007, 10:26 PM
saxet has scoreboard on us for now. All time series records aren't displayed on the scoreboard (at least not all the time) but they do make fun bragging.

And the goals, fan-wise, will vary somewhat. Mine are:

1. Undefeated national championship
2. National championship
3. Undefeated season
4. Conference championship
5. Bowl championship
6. Beat saxet
7a. Beat Nebbish
7b. Beat any ranked team on the schedule
8. Beat TAMU
9. Beat whoever the opponent is that week

SoonerJedi
3/11/2007, 09:40 AM
1) National Championship
2) Big XII Championship
3) High Poll Finish
4) Win 11 Games
5) Win Bowl Game
6) Win Big XII South
7) Beat Texas
8) Beat OSU
9) Beat Nebraska
10) Etc.

How in the world can winning your bowl game be more important than beating Texas? How in the world does beating OSU matter more than beating Nebraska? Who gives a flip about a high poll finish?

1) National Championship
2) Big XII Champsionship
3) Win 11 games
4) Win Big XII South
5) Beat Texas
6) Beat Nebraska
7) Win Bowl Game
8) High Poll Finish
9) Beating a ranked team
10) Beating Texas Tech
16) Beat OSU

the_ouskull
3/11/2007, 10:38 AM
I think that our "National Championship lead" trumps their "all-time games won lead." Only little kids play the game to win games. Everybody else plays to win championships, or to get paid... or both.

the_ouskull

SoonerFaninAZ
3/11/2007, 06:30 PM
I think that our "National Championship lead" trumps their "all-time games won lead." Only little kids play the game to win games. Everybody else plays to win championships, or to get paid... or both.

the_ouskull

My thoughts exactly.

goingoneight
3/11/2007, 07:13 PM
How in the world can winning your bowl game be more important than beating Texas? How in the world does beating OSU matter more than beating Nebraska? Who gives a flip about a high poll finish?

1) National Championship
2) Big XII Champsionship
3) Win 11 games
4) Win Big XII South
5) Beat Texas
6) Beat Nebraska
7) Win Bowl Game
8) High Poll Finish
9) Beating a ranked team
10) Beating Texas Tech
1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000006) Beat OSU

fixed ;)...

Big Red Ron
3/11/2007, 07:24 PM
7-4 does indeed trump all time series record. I mean who really cares about the all time series record when most of us have seen about a quarter of the series.

Seven national Championships puts us at the top of all college football not some regional series.

goingoneight
3/11/2007, 08:04 PM
7-4 does indeed trump all time series record. I mean who really cares about the all time series record when most of us have seen about a quarter of the series.

Seven national Championships puts us at the top of all college football not some regional series.

The all-time series has had several different scenarios to pan out as it has. Like the late introduction of the black athlete to the sport, the rule changes, leather helmets, etc. Most of us are fans of the modern game of football, which has seen nothing but scheme and personnel changes for soe 50-60 yearsnow. NTM, while the country was at war, nobody really gave a rats *** about the sport. When the guys came home fromt eh war, no matter what the whiny whorns say, the game changed forever. It became a game of recruiting, rather than tryouts. It became a game anyone could play, not just one race in specific. It became the most popular sport overall in the country, versus a sport kids used to use just to help pay for school.

Snrfn4ever08
3/12/2007, 03:55 PM

the_ouskull

Approved...not that it really needed my approval, but still:D

TopDawg
3/12/2007, 04:50 PM
For this year, Texas has "scoreboard" we have "trophy case."

Snrfn4ever08
3/12/2007, 05:13 PM
For this year, Texas has "scoreboard" we have "trophy case."
And I'm pretty sure I'd rather have trophy case:D ...what about everyone else?