PDA

View Full Version : Troy Smith...the next JW?

SoonerStormchaser
3/1/2007, 10:49 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/02/27/troy.smith/index.html

At least Jason DESERVED his Heisman!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/1/2007, 11:00 AM
Smith DID look slow against those Florida pass-rushers. i didn't realize he was just 6' tall.

colleyvillesooner
3/1/2007, 11:01 AM
The writer acts like when he wasn't pressured, he didn't still look like total dog****...the entire game.

The_Red_Patriot
3/1/2007, 11:06 AM
Like I said all year, he wasnt the best player in the country and not even the best qb in the country.

It was BS he won the heisman. The heisman has turned into an award for a player on the best team.

And OSU turned out to be a HUGE goat

SoonerLB
3/1/2007, 11:15 AM
The Heisman voters all had nose rings, and attached to those nose rings were chains, which allowed them to be led around by the openly biased talking heads at ESPN. Shame on the Heisman voters!
They need to wake up at the Downtown Athletic Club. If they honestly mean to pick the best player, then ballots shouldn't go out till after the last game in January, instead of two thirds of the way through the season.

LittleWingSooner
3/1/2007, 11:18 AM
I though Troy Smith deserved it this year. But if AD were healthy all year, then Troy doesn't win it. AD was on pace to put up ungodly numbers before he got hurt.

SoonerStormchaser
3/1/2007, 11:26 AM
I said it all year and I'll say it again.

Troy Smith should've been kicked off that team two years ago when he took that money from the booster!

OU-HSV
3/1/2007, 11:31 AM
Smith DID look slow against those Florida pass-rushers. i didn't realize he was just 6' tall.
When I was watching the combine last weekend they showed Troy and Jamarcus Russell standing next to eachother and Troy looked like a smurf

yermom
3/1/2007, 01:12 PM
I said it all year and I'll say it again.

Troy Smith should've been kicked off that team two years ago when he took that money from the booster!

apparently that's the new way to win the Heisman ;)

the last 3 have either been involved, or pretty close to shady crap like that

Seamus
3/1/2007, 02:25 PM
But now it seems that Smith is being lumped in with the Gino Torretta/Chris Weinke/Eric Crouch/Jason White class of Heisman-winning quarterbacks, destined to flame out at the next level. Here's the thing. Torretta was barely a top-20 passer his senior year. Weinke was 87 years old. Crouch ran the option. White had no functioning knees. About the only thing Smith has in common with those guys is the trophy they won.
Continue

Is this guy in Smith's nut-hammock or what? Sheeesh. Well, at least his "knock" on Jason was more physical than denigrating, unlike some of the others.

cvsooner
3/1/2007, 02:50 PM
Oh, come on, people. Mandel's piece is dripping with sarcasm. He's actually knocking the people who assess the abilities of potential pro football players, not Troy Smith.

He does indeed cite Jason White as one of the Heisman winners who don't make it in the pros. Which is true. He also notes Jason didn't have a single functioning knee.

Maybe Mandel needs to post a "sarcasm alert" at the top of the article.

Tear Down This Wall
3/1/2007, 02:57 PM
This is always a stupid argument because the Heisman is a trophy based on one season of college football. The Downtown Athletic Club doesn't say, "We're giving the Heisman to the player we think will be a Top 5 pick in the NFL draft."

Stupid. The whole article is stupid. Troy Smith was a great QB for Ohio State.

Doged
3/2/2007, 12:49 AM
Stupid. The whole article is stupid. Troy Smith was a great QB for Ohio State.

That's exactly what the article is saying. It's the media idiots like himself that he's busting on, not Troy Smith.

goingoneight
3/2/2007, 01:28 AM
As long as people read the full article, they'll see that he's not calling JW a choke or ripping him at all. He definitely made the knee issue clear, and I liked the Chris Weinke being 82 comment. Good read, but agroids will pick this up and onyl see "Jason White-- can't make it at the next level..." That is, if they can read...

TripleOption14
3/2/2007, 08:52 AM
Like many have said... if AD didn't get hurt the trophy was his. However, he did get hurt and that left only one guy who really had a shot at it and that guy was Troy Smith. I look at it as a winner by default type situation. There was simply no one else around that made a case for the trophy. Some will say what about Brady Quinn or McFadden? Those guys were good; but not Heisman good. The only reason Quinn was around is because of the Notre Dame hype machine (which was an 8-4 ball club). And lets wait and see what McFadden can do when he faces the 8 man fronts that are w/o a doubt coming his way. Lets see if he can do what AD did when facing those odds.

Octavian
3/2/2007, 09:57 AM
Torretta was barely a top-20 passer his senior year. Weinke was 87 years old. Crouch ran the option. White had no functioning knees. About the only thing Smith has in common with those guys is the trophy they won.

littering and....littering and....

getting blown out in a national title game and then having scouts doubt their NFL future?

Gino - plays like hell as Bama woodsheds him in the '93 Sugar NCG. Pro scouts say no thanks

Weinke - plays like hell as OU holds him scoreless in the '01 Orange NCG. Pro scouts say no thanks

Crouch - plays like hell as the Canes destroy him in the '02 Rose NCG. Pro scouts say no thanks

Jason - eh....

Troy Smith is the latest quarterback to win a Heisman, get blown out in the national championship game while looking absolutely awful.....then have the pro scouts doubt his ability at the next level.

Smith does seem to be drifting toward that category....he does share a lot in common with them at this point. I get the point Mandel is trying to convey in the article that combine scouts aren't the end-all authority on the future of potential Leaguers....

but acting like they're sniffing glue for pointing out what we all saw in the NCG seems a bit strange.

The Heisman is a college award and has nothing to do with the NFL and I think Smith was hands-down the only choice in '06 for the award. He completely deserved it.

But so did the other four....so Mandel's new logic isn't too persuasive.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/2/2007, 10:16 AM
Ladanian Tomlinson came in 3rd or 4th in the heisman trophy balloting when JW won...

The_Red_Patriot
3/2/2007, 11:11 AM
How? His last season was 2000.

JW won the heisman in 2003

colleyvillesooner
3/2/2007, 11:22 AM
Wow, talk about pulling something out of your ***.

yermom
3/2/2007, 11:27 AM
Ladanian Tomlinson came in 3rd or 4th in the heisman trophy balloting when JW won...

that was when Weinke won and Heupel should have

the other finalist was Drew Brees...

stoops the eternal pimp
3/2/2007, 11:41 AM
When I was watching the combine last weekend they showed Troy and Jamarcus Russell standing next to eachother and Troy looked like a smurf

J Russell is 6'6 265...I m 6'4 245...And I felt like a smurf standing next to him...

Luthor
3/2/2007, 02:41 PM
Like I said all year, he wasnt the best player in the country and not even the best qb in the country.

It was BS he won the heisman. The heisman has turned into an award for a player on the best team.

And OSU turned out to be a HUGE goat

I've been saying this for the past five years. The Hypesman trophy has become a popularity contest. Bush won it 2 years ago because he was the best player on the highest profile team in the largest TV market.

I think the last time it was awarded to a player NOT one a team represented in the MNC game was when Ricky Williams won it. It has become so pathetically political that it is now assumed that the assumed best player is always on the assumed best team. It this sounds convoluted it is because it is accurate.

bixby28
3/3/2007, 05:18 PM
Jason White was the greatest Heisman story ever. He had an incredible career at OU and is still the one of the best college QBs i've ever watched.

Who cares if he wasn't able to play as a pro?

oklaclarinet
3/3/2007, 05:24 PM
I've been saying this for the past five years. The Hypesman trophy has become a popularity contest. Bush won it 2 years ago because he was the best player on the highest profile team in the largest TV market.

I think the last time it was awarded to a player NOT one a team represented in the MNC game was when Ricky Williams won it. It has become so pathetically political that it is now assumed that the assumed best player is always on the assumed best team. It this sounds convoluted it is because it is accurate.

The year Carson Palmer won it USC wasn't in the national title game. And don't forget Wisconsin's Ron Dayne.

OK2LA
3/3/2007, 06:43 PM

http://www.heisman.com/winners/j-white03.html

Place Name School Class Position 1 2 3
1st Jason White Oklahoma Sr. QB 319 204 116
2nd Larry Fitzgerald Pittsburgh So. WR 253 233 128
3rd Eli Manning Mississippi Sr. QB 95 132 161 710
4th Chris Perry Michigan Sr. RB 27 66 128 341
5th Darren Sproles Kansas St. Sr. RB 15 30 29 134
6th Matt Leinart Southern California So. QB 5 27 58
7th Philip Rivers North Carolina State Sr. QB 18 20 24
8th Mike Williams Southern California Sr. WR 12 12 18
9th Ben Rothlisberger Miami (OH) Jr. QB 5 9 14
10th B.J. Symons Texas Tech Jr. QB 1 7 21 38

http://www.heisman.com/winners/c-weinke00.html

1st Chris Weinke Florida State Sr. QB 369 216 89
2nd Josh Heupel Oklahoma Sr. QB 286 290 114
3rd Drew Brees Purdue Sr. QB 69 107 198 619
4th Ladanian Tomlinson Texas Christian Sr. RB 47 110 205
5th Damien Anderson Northwestern Sr. RB 6 20 43
6th Michael Vick Virginia Tech So. QB 7 14 34 83
7th Santana Moss Miami Sr. WR 3 9 28 55
8th Marques Tuiasosopo Washington Sr. QB 5 8 10
9th Ken Simonton Oregon State Jr. RB 1 5 12 25
10th Rudi Johnson Auburn Jr. RB 3 1 9 20

(I had to delete some of the "final numbers" in their stats to get them to line up correctly)

By the way - who is this Ladanian Tomlinson? - Never heard of him.

goingoneight
3/3/2007, 07:38 PM
some aggy, I think :confused:...

Texas Golfer
3/4/2007, 08:31 PM
I'm convinced that many Heisman voters don't watch games or even game films. They rely on ESPN to tell them how to vote.

Texas Golfer
3/4/2007, 08:34 PM
http://www.heisman.com/winners/j-white03.html

Place Name School Class Position 1 2 3
1st Jason White Oklahoma Sr. QB 319 204 116
2nd Larry Fitzgerald Pittsburgh So. WR 253 233 128
3rd Eli Manning Mississippi Sr. QB 95 132 161 710
4th Chris Perry Michigan Sr. RB 27 66 128 341
5th Darren Sproles Kansas St. Sr. RB 15 30 29 134
6th Matt Leinart Southern California So. QB 5 27 58
7th Philip Rivers North Carolina State Sr. QB 18 20 24
8th Mike Williams Southern California Sr. WR 12 12 18
9th Ben Rothlisberger Miami (OH) Jr. QB 5 9 14
10th B.J. Symons Texas Tech Jr. QB 1 7 21 38

http://www.heisman.com/winners/c-weinke00.html

1st Chris Weinke Florida State Sr. QB 369 216 89
2nd Josh Heupel Oklahoma Sr. QB 286 290 114
3rd Drew Brees Purdue Sr. QB 69 107 198 619
4th Ladanian Tomlinson Texas Christian Sr. RB 47 110 205
5th Damien Anderson Northwestern Sr. RB 6 20 43
6th Michael Vick Virginia Tech So. QB 7 14 34 83
7th Santana Moss Miami Sr. WR 3 9 28 55
8th Marques Tuiasosopo Washington Sr. QB 5 8 10
9th Ken Simonton Oregon State Jr. RB 1 5 12 25
10th Rudi Johnson Auburn Jr. RB 3 1 9 20

(I had to delete some of the "final numbers" in their stats to get them to line up correctly)

By the way - who is this Ladanian Tomlinson? - Never heard of him.

I look at these lists and I'm proud to see Josh and Jason beat out many NFL stars.