PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Clothes

royalfan5
2/28/2007, 09:21 AM
As my Mother and Grandmothers were all very talented at sewing, I wore a lot of homemade clothes growing up. Periodically my Mom still will sew me up a shirt if she sees a fabric that she thinks I would like. She also cranks out blankets like nobodies business. I am just curious how common this was.

sanantoniosooner
2/28/2007, 09:24 AM
my mom repairs stuff. That's good enough for me.

I don't need any baggy pants out of Super Mario fabric.

And I knew a guy back in OK that would wear exactly that, made by his mom. Dude was in his 40s.

OU4LIFE
2/28/2007, 09:27 AM
freak

picasso
2/28/2007, 10:52 AM
nope, but we did have fights with the Amish.

Turd_Ferguson
2/28/2007, 11:08 AM
When I was in high school back in the 80's, Jams were the "in" thing. My momma was too damn poor to by any so she just made me some. I moaned and groaned about it until the other kids started asking me to have her make them some. Byotch made about eleventy billion dollars on fake Jams!:D

C&CDean
2/28/2007, 11:32 AM
My mom made all our shirts, sweaters, and my sisters' dresses. All my school pics from kinnygarden till about 7th grade are in shirts my mom sewed.

My wife is also good with a sewing machine. She doesn't have time to build clothes, but she fixes everything from work gloves to workout shorts. She also cuts everybody's hair (cept mine cause I ain't got any). She does all the cooking, cleaning, cans veggies and fruits, does a big-assed garden, helps cut/split wood, feed cows, works all the OU mens/womens basketball games, runs the Lexington High School football/basketball booster clubs, and still has time for a full-time job that involves some travel.

One of these days I'm gonna convince her to quit being such a lazy wench.

Turd_Ferguson
2/28/2007, 11:45 AM
.....Lexington.....

Mmmm...Dairy Boy...Char Burger, Char Fry's, Dipped Cone...Mmmm

C&CDean
2/28/2007, 11:54 AM

Yeah, but they're fixin' to build a Sonic right next to the new Dollar General. ****tards are gonna make the place just like Norman.

Viking Kitten
2/28/2007, 12:06 PM
I have been known to make my own clothes. My mom made all my clothes growing up and taught me how to sew, but anymore it's actually more expensive to make stuff than buy it, plus I am not superhuman like Mrs. Dean, so I usually don't have the time. But if I get an idea for something I'd really like to wear, you bet I can make it.

In fact, a couple years ago, I made this really kick a** skirt, and happened to be wearing it on a trip to Bergdorf Goodman's in NYC. (Swankiest store in town, ya buncha hillbillies.) Three snooty sales chicks came up to me and asked me where I got my skirt. Then I had to hang the skirt in the back of my closet for a few years, because of, uh... size issues... and just recently wore it again. Sure enough... first time I wore it, a girl came up to me and asked me where I got it.

I love that effin' skirt.

King Crimson
2/28/2007, 12:06 PM

heck, i've been to dairy boy a few times.

i had a old gf (who i kinda blew it with, too bad) who made a lot of her own dresses...she was very hip and from Northern California artsy-fartsy but her mom was from Kansas and taught her how to sew. she was a very cool girl.

she moved back to SF about 5 years ago and you up til recently you used to see girls on the CU campus still copying her style/stealing her blues or chopping wood as they say in music.

she used to also bake this awesome potato bread and rye bread.

edit: ditto VK's story, when me and girl X used to be out, people would always ask her stuff like that.

PhxSooner
2/28/2007, 12:12 PM
My mother can sew anything I throw at her. She made all of my dresses until I graduated from HS. I'd have her make dresses for my daughter, but it would cost more to buy material and a pattern than to get something on sale.

My sewing skills are meh. I can repair things, put patches on my son's karate uniform, and stuff like that. I did make a pretty decent angel costume for my daughter for our church pageant, but it was one of those make-in-an-hour dealios.

soonersweetie
2/28/2007, 02:36 PM
My mom sewed most of our clothes when we were little through about 6th grade. She was great with a sewing machine. I can sew buttons on and sew up a loose seam every now and then, but that's as far as it goes.

Cooking however is a whole other issue...I am an excellent cook and make most everything from scratch.

Mrs. Dean is definitely Super Human!

C&CDean
2/28/2007, 02:58 PM
Mrs. Dean is definitely Super Human!

Or maybe even non-human. My brother's wife calls her "St. Lisa." She'll say to my brother "don't you even try to compare me to her. She does all that, with a smile on her face, and she has to put up with your G.D. brother on top of it all? She is most definitely a saint."

I don't know what in the hell I ever did to land a keeper like her, but that was my best-ever fishing trip.

VeeJay
2/28/2007, 03:10 PM
My grandmother was a sewing and knitting freak.

I still have two afghans (the knitted quilt thingies, not people from Afghanistan) she made for me years ago.

They used to have quilting parties where several women would get together and make quilts for each other's families - they used old curtains, material from dresses, shirts, etc. Whatever was handy. We still have a couple of those that were passed down, but not much need for them in FL.

I'm amazed at the resourcefulness that was forced on the people who lived through the Depression.

IB4OU2
2/28/2007, 03:30 PM
My grandma knitted me some underwear they were a little itchy but they were warm. :)

SicEmBaylor
2/28/2007, 03:31 PM
My mother and grandmother can sew. My mom is pretty damned talented with crafty type ****. She has a candle/gift store and makes all of her own candles.

My mom sewed a lot of my suthin' re-enacting clothes.

olevetonahill
2/28/2007, 04:27 PM
Or maybe even non-human. My brother's wife calls her "St. Lisa." She'll say to my brother "don't you even try to compare me to her. She does all that, with a smile on her face, and she has to put up with your G.D. brother on top of it all? She is most definitely a saint."

I don't know what in the hell I ever did to land a keeper like her, but that was my best-ever fishing trip.

Is there a sister in that pool ?
;)

C&CDean
2/28/2007, 04:33 PM
Is there a sister in that pool ?
;)

There is. She and her husband run a 500+ acre farm up in Iowa. She's killed more deer than me. She does all her own butchering too. Her kids are grown and gone, so now she's all into quilting, canning, hunting, fishing, and the usual farm choring.

What's really weird is that their mom was a waitress who left their dad to become a truck driver (and still is) and their dad was a maintenance guy for Cargill. I really don't know where they picked up all their skills/energy.

OzarkSooner
2/28/2007, 04:46 PM
My mom used to make ALL my two sister's clothes. She was an awesome seamstress. She however in the whole time I was growing up only made me one shirt. I asked her about that a couple of times and she'd just say, "Boy's clothes are a lot easier to buy and almost as cheap." Oh well, I was always the one with "store-boughten" ;) clothes.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2007, 04:53 PM
When I was in high school back in the 80's, Jams were the "in" thing. My momma was too damn poor to by any so she just made me some. I moaned and groaned about it until the other kids started asking me to have her make them some. Byotch made about eleventy billion dollars on fake Jams!:D

I was about to tell that same story. I was raised by my grandparents that came from a time when everything was homemade. Anyway I had my grandma workin on jams like kathy gifford works those 6 year olds for all my friends.

olevetonahill
2/28/2007, 05:18 PM
There is. She and her husband run a 500+ acre farm up in Iowa. She's killed more deer than me. She does all her own butchering too. Her kids are grown and gone, so now she's all into quilting, canning, hunting, fishing, and the usual farm choring.

What's really weird is that their mom was a waitress who left their dad to become a truck driver (and still is) and their dad was a maintenance guy for Cargill. I really don't know where they picked up all their skills/energy.
Ok let me type slow for you postal types :P
Is there an AVAILBLE sister:D

olevetonahill
2/28/2007, 05:20 PM
My Mom made ALL of our clothes, But me being the youngest Mine were always hand me downs .
I really hated just having sisters .

proud gonzo
2/28/2007, 05:43 PM
I keep telling you, my aunt lives in Atoka and she's single. ;)

olevetonahill
2/28/2007, 05:58 PM
I keep telling you, my aunt lives in Atoka and she's single. ;)
Pics ? ;)
Youve seen My old carcass .

soonerboomer93
2/28/2007, 06:03 PM
My Mom made ALL of our clothes, But me being the youngest Mine were always hand me downs .
I really hated just having sisters .

olevet is a crossdresser

:eek:

olevetonahill
2/28/2007, 06:07 PM
olevet is a crossdresser

:eek:
Only while I was growing up . :P

proud gonzo
2/28/2007, 06:07 PM
Pics ? ;)
Youve seen My old carcass .I'll have to see if I have any... ;)

olevetonahill
2/28/2007, 06:13 PM
I'll have to see if I have any... ;)
I saw your sneaky lil punkin butt taking one last yr at the Iwoa st tailgate :eek:

proud gonzo
2/28/2007, 06:16 PM
oh, i know i have pictures of you, I just don't know if I have any of my aunt. :D

(I know I took some last time I saw her, but they might be on my dad's computer.)

1stTimeCaller
2/28/2007, 06:22 PM
nudes?

;)

BajaOklahoma
2/28/2007, 06:43 PM
I didn't have store-bought clothing until I was 12. My mother can sew anything. She made drapes for all of my cousin's homes and ours. She made my kid's Halloween costumes, with no pattern, when we were living out-of-state. They fit perfectly and my kids were the cutest Ghostbusters ever.

olevetonahill
2/28/2007, 06:46 PM
nudes?

;)
If they are Nude pics of me they belong in the halloween post :eek: :eek: :eek:

Tailwind
2/28/2007, 07:24 PM
My Mom made most of our clothes growing up. With five kids and not a lot of money, she pretty much had to. She taught me to sew when I was little. I made a lot of clothers for my boys when they were little, clothes for myself and a lot of stuffed toys for gifts. I don't have time for that stuff anymore, and it is more expensive that buying something on sale.

olevetonahill
2/28/2007, 07:26 PM
My Mom made most of our clothes growing up. With five kids and not a lot of money, she pretty much had to. She taught me to sew when I was little. I made a lot of clothers for my boys when they were little, clothes for myself and a lot of stuffed toys for gifts. I don't have time for that stuff anymore, and it is more expensive that buying something on sale.
So ur saying youve become LASY in ur Old age ?

TUSooner
2/28/2007, 07:42 PM
My mother-in-law is a professional tailor at a men's clothing store -- errr, "haberdashery" -- I can't afford to window shop at. She's made tons of dresses and stuff for my daughters, but she never got around to learning how to build men's clothes from scratch. She does alterations, of course, and fixes everything in sight, from suits, to an OU t-shirt that was coming apart at the collar.

Cooks like a dream, too, if you like Persian food. (yes, jerk, even better than our mutual in-law)

Best homemade clothes I've seen lately: A neighbor's mom make him some "Mardi Gras jams" out of purple Crown Royal bags. He's a pretty big guy, so he had to drink a lot of Crown to get the britches. The drawstring pockets are cool.

VeeJay
2/28/2007, 09:41 PM
If I have followed this correctly, proud gonzo has nekkid pics of her aunt?

proud gonzo
2/28/2007, 09:59 PM
heh. no.

MamaMia
2/28/2007, 10:01 PM
I'm not good at making clothes, even though I've had some fun with linens and Halloween costumes for the kids. My mother was the seamstress. She and my Aunt made an entire Barbie wardrobe for my 10th birthday. That had to be quite a task. I love to quilt, do needlepoint and knit a little. I knitted some purses for the girls for Christmas last year with matching gloves and scarfs.

PhxSooner
2/28/2007, 10:07 PM
Same for me. Middle school and mom wouldn't buy me real Jams. But I had at least 4 or 5 pairs of fake ones she made. Just as good, and I got to pick the material.

I say this as a wise sage in my 30s. Back then, I was mad that they didn't say "Jams" on the back pocket. Sorry, Mom!

John Kochtoston
2/28/2007, 10:13 PM
I had someone make me a Bonnie Prince Charlie jacket and vest once. Fantastic.

usmc-sooner
2/28/2007, 10:15 PM
I made myself some male lingerie. I ripped off the whitey tighties below the elastic ban.

bang chicky bang bang

Melo
2/28/2007, 10:18 PM
My mother and grandmother sew. Never made us too much clothing, though.

Mom made me this kick *** vest back in the day. It was all bright and colorful, had animals all over it. Then I had these matching shorts that had patches of the fabric sewn over the back pockets.

Now all mom does is hem pants and dresses, etc.

VeeJay
2/28/2007, 10:18 PM
So that's a garter belt without the garter?

Tailwind
2/28/2007, 11:46 PM
So ur saying youve become LASY in ur Old age ?
I'm working 50+ hours a week. If that's lasy, then so be it. :P

SoonerGirl06
3/1/2007, 12:09 AM
I made myself some male lingerie. I ripped off the whitey tighties below the elastic ban.

bang chicky bang bang

I would of thought it'd be more like "flop-flop... flippity flop..." :D

olevetonahill
3/1/2007, 12:17 AM
I'm working 50+ hours a week. If that's lasy, then so be it. :P
50 Hrs ?
sounds to me like you waisting some hrs there :P

olevetonahill
3/1/2007, 12:28 AM
I aint one to poor mouth , But I got My 1st pr of shoes when I was 14
Wore em smooth slam out walking bacards looking at the tracks !

SoonerGirl06
3/1/2007, 01:06 AM
Nothing like getting hand-me-downs..... from your grandmother.... gives you a completely different perspective and a sense of appreciation. :)

Preservation Parcels
3/1/2007, 07:35 AM
My mom made all of my clothes. Of course, I moaned and complained that I wanted stuff like all the other girls. Finally, Mom gave me money and sent me uptown to buy my first ever storebought dress. I took home two pieces of fabric and a different attitude.

She taught me to sew at 7, and I've been doing it ever since. Now, I just sew historical things, though.