PDA

View Full Version : How accurate is this???

OU_Sooners75
2/28/2007, 08:03 AM
I am wanting to post this on my site, but need to make sure it is as accurate as possible.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spring Preview

Oklahoma Sooners

by: OU_Sooners75

In the college football world, Spring time brings with it a new opportunity for the fans. The fans get to see what players are making the biggest strides, along with what their team will potentially look like for the following season. The only thing they do not get to see is the Freshmen that will join the team in Autumn.

Returning Starters:

Name (2007 class, POS)

Offense 8 (10 due to injury): George Robinson (Jr, G), Jon Cooper (Jr, C), Brandon Walker (Jr, G), Trent Williams² (So, T), Branndon Braxton² (Jr, T), Malcolm Kelly (Jr, WR), Juaquin Iglesias (Jr, WR), Joe Jon Finley (Sr, TE), Allen Patrick² (Sr, RB), Brody Eldridge (So, FB).

Defense 7 (8 with Nickel Back): Steve Coleman (Sr, DT), Cory Bennett (Jr, DT), Curtis Lofton (Jr, LB), Marcus Walker (Sr, DB), Reggie Smith (Jr, DB) Darien Williams (Sr, DB), Lendy Holmes (Jr, DB), Nic Harris³ (Jr, NB).

² = Partial year starter due to injuries.

³ = Partial year starter, depending on the team played.

2006:

To finish the 2006 season, Oklahoma won their last seven regular season games and the Big 12 Championship Game, before losing in an overtime thriller against Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl. OU finished with a record of 11-3 and as the Big 12 Champions for the fourth time under head coach Bob Stoops. This was a pretty good feat for a team that lost its returning starting QB and a starting OL due to NCAA rules violations, had some controversy, and lost perhaps the best running back in school history due to injury.

What Left and Returns:

Coming into the spring of 2007, OU loses perhaps the best running back in the nation, Adrian Peterson. They also lose their starting QB, Paul Thompson and OT Chris Messner when it comes to the offense. On the defensive side of the ball, the Sooners lose a total of 4 starters, led by, Big 12 Defensive Play of the Year, Rufus Alexander.

Returning for the Sooners are a total of 8 offensive starters and 7 defensive starters. These starters include four offensive linemen (five if you count injured players), all tight ends and receivers, as well as a running back that started half of the 2006 season. They return all their starting defensive backs and defensive tackles from the Big 12 championship starting rotations. However, they only return one starting linebacker and no starting defensive ends. In fact, they only have one defensive end returning that was listed on last years two deep depth chart.

Voids that need to be filled:

Coming into the 2007 season, the biggest question mark that OU needs to answer is if they can find a suitable replacement at the QB position. They signed a four star recruit out of Lowell, Michigan, Keith Nichol, who joined the team this spring. They have redshirt freshman Sam Bradford, along with 2006 backup Joey Halzle. Who will be the starting QB come for the 2007 season? Joey has a leg up on the others due to his year as backup, yet, he has not seen much action. Sam Bradford has a strong arm and is more of a pocket passer. Keith Nichol also has a strong arm, but can also scramble. Whoever the signal caller is, they have plenty of talent and experience surrounding them when they step on the field for the first time for the Sooners.

The defense should be as strong as ever. However, they are not without voids to fill. Mike Reed, Lewis Baker, Ryan Reynolds, and Demarrio Pleasant will be vying to fill two of the linebacker positions left open due to graduation. Returning LB Curtis Lofton should continue to have his spot on the starting roster. The biggest question mark for the Sooners on defense is the defensive end spot. They were annihilated by graduation at these spots. They lost 3 of their top 4 defensive ends from 2006. Some of the names that will be fighting to take a spot on the two deep will be John Williams (Sr), Alonzo Dotson (Sr), Auston English (So), Tim Johnson (Jr), Pryce Macon (Rfr), and Tola Jimoh (So). This is only through the spring though, Oklahoma was able to grab some pretty decent recruits that will join the team in the fall.

2007 Outlook:

Oklahoma looks to be a very solid team. In 2005, they were the youngest team in the nation when it came to starters. In 2006, they were the third youngest team in the nation. The 2006 roster only had 11 seniors and 25 juniors. OU had 83 scholarship players in 2006 and a total of 118 on its roster, including redshirts and walk-ons. Look for Oklahoma to contend with Texas for the Big 12 South division and perhaps another national championship in 2007 if they can minimize mistakes and find a true quarterback.

Seamus
2/28/2007, 02:08 PM
Everything looks solid except the fourth word, second line, in the first paragraph. I take exception to the word "the." ;)

Seamus
2/28/2007, 02:24 PM
1. Seriously, according to SoonerSports, Kelly's first name is spelled "Malcolm."

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPID=190&SPORT_TAB_SEL=02&DB_OEM_ID=300&SPSID=2470&ATCLID=130980&Q_SEASON=2007

2. The phrasing of this is a little off -- the Big XII title game probably isn't considered regular season:

To finish the 2006 season, Oklahoma won their last eight regular season games, before losing in an overtime thriller against Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl.

3. Maybe indicate that Rufus was Big XII Defensive POY.

4. I believe Keith Nichol was at the Elite Eleven camp for QBs, and may have won an award there. Might include that if you can verify.

5. Misspelled second word:

They we annihilated by graduation at these spots.

6. Looks good. Solid write-up.

Scott D
2/28/2007, 02:43 PM
Zaslaw took more of the FB snaps late in the year, Clapp should be healthy and could be the likely starter at FB. As much as Brody Eldridge played, he's still the #3 TE.

snp
2/28/2007, 05:46 PM
Not all DTs return for next year. Pendelton walked away to be with his little brother.

Arrowhead
2/28/2007, 06:06 PM
I believe Nichol enrolled early and joined the team after winter break and has been integrated into the system already.

OU_Sooners75
2/28/2007, 06:27 PM
Not all DTs return for next year. Pendelton walked away to be with his little brother.

Carl Pendleton wasnt listed as the starter for the Big 12 Championship game either. Hence the reason Steve Coleman is listed as a returning starter.

OU_Sooners75
2/28/2007, 06:28 PM
I believe Nichol enrolled early and joined the team after winter break and has been integrated into the system already.

Yes he did.

snp
2/28/2007, 06:46 PM
They return all their defensive backs and defensive tackles.

Sorry, that part confused me. The DTs alternated a good bit though.

RedStripe
2/28/2007, 10:15 PM
Tim Johnson (Sr) I think he is a Sophmore

goingoneight
2/28/2007, 10:18 PM
Looks good. I'd add a line or two aboutt eh guys who are looking to step up as freshmen like DeMarco Murray, Dominique Franks (spell check) as well as mentioning the feats of Chris Brown and some of the other solid contributors from 2006 who ddin't necessarily get recogntion a lot. I mean, CB ddi score the two TD's that helped us beat T Tech and stuff.

But for someone who just wants to know what's up, you did a fine jorb... :)

toast
2/28/2007, 10:28 PM
Auston English will be a sophomore, not a junior.

Seamus
2/28/2007, 10:28 PM
Jorb ... heh. I love the lexicon around here.

Rhino
3/1/2007, 12:50 AM
Jon Cooper, not John Cooper.

goingoneight
3/1/2007, 01:43 AM
Jorb ... heh. I love the lexicon around here.

hehe... isn't it great. :D I find myself more commonly adding an 'r' to the word 'job' than not because of you guys around here.

OU_Sooners75
3/1/2007, 04:22 AM
Sorry, that part confused me. The DTs alternated a good bit though.

I will edit it, I meant starters.

Thank you for pointing it out.

OU_Sooners75
3/1/2007, 04:25 AM
Thank you to everyone that has helped me make sure this thing is accurate.

Redstripe: Tim will be a Junior, but thank you for pointing out the mistake I made.

Toast, thank you as well.

Goingoneight: thank you for your input. I was basically going on the starters or partial year starters we have coming back. If you want, come up with a way for me to add that in and I will be happy to add it.

Anyway, I do appreciate all the help everyone has given so far. I want this to be as accurate and as complete as possible.

Now if I can just find an editor that will correct any grammar mistakes I have made. :)