PDA

View Full Version : I'm dissapointed...

Soonerus
2/28/2007, 12:43 AM
... the biggest thing in downtown OKC in 20 years occurred this week and none of you dawgs noticed it...the reopening of the Hilton Skirvin...

SoonerTerry
2/28/2007, 12:44 AM
WOW.... thats cool. I remember going there as a kid.

BigRedJed
2/28/2007, 12:46 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89640

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89793

BigRedJed
2/28/2007, 12:49 AM
And, while I'm a huge fan of the Skirvin reopening, it's HARDLY the biggest thing to happen to downtown in 20 years. I think MAPS wins that title.

If you want to break up the MAPS projects into individual projects, the Skirvin would probably rank in the top 5. But the National Memorial and Art Museum probably both knock it down, if you also include them.

Soonerus
2/28/2007, 12:52 AM
As long as they all get attention, I am OK...

BigRedJed
2/28/2007, 12:53 AM
I agree!

Soonerus
2/28/2007, 12:54 AM
I'll debate the biggest events in downtown OKC in the last 30 years if you want...

Boarder
2/28/2007, 01:00 AM
#1 Bombing
Top 10
Memorial Marathon
Opening Night For the Hornets
Canal Opening
Arts Festival

Soonerus
2/28/2007, 01:02 AM
Calling the bombing #1 creates a real internal conflict for me...

Boarder
2/28/2007, 01:05 AM
Biggest events are not always the best and happiest events, unfortunately.

For example, the World Trade Center thing would probably be one of the biggest events in NYC.

Soonerus
2/28/2007, 01:08 AM
I was downtown during the bombing, I had friends die in the bombing, I just can't deal with it still...as a landmark, maybe, but it is still very difficult...

sanantoniosooner
2/28/2007, 01:10 AM
Well it's a toss up if you want to call it an "event".

If you are centering on scheduled celebratory functions, it's obviously not part of the mix.

If you are just talking about happenings of great significance then you have to include it.

I've got a file cabinet that survived the bombing in my garage right now.

I wont go into how much worse it was very close to being for me personally.

Boarder
2/28/2007, 01:12 AM
I would call an event a happening of great signifcance.

Soonerus
2/28/2007, 01:13 AM
Well it's a toss up if you want to call it an "event".

If you are centering on scheduled celebratory functions, it's obviously not part of the mix.

If you are just talking about happenings of great significance then you have to include it.

Don't get me wrong, I have been downtown since 1977 and the bombing has been the biggest impact in downtown since then unless the oil bust were to qualify...

RADsooner
2/28/2007, 01:13 AM
I was downtown during the bombing, I had friends die in the bombing, I just can't deal with it still...as a landmark, maybe, but it is still very difficult...

I had a family member that worked in the federal credit union, I know how you feel.

sanantoniosooner
2/28/2007, 01:15 AM
I would call an event a happening of great signifcance.
I tend to agree, but depending on the particular discussion you're having, it might not be something you'd want to include.

My wife worked in that building and we banked in it.

Soonerus
2/28/2007, 01:16 AM
It still hurts...thats it...

sanantoniosooner
2/28/2007, 01:17 AM
I had a family member that worked in the federal credit union, I know how you feel.
I just commented on us banking there.

It was rough for me to process. I can't imagine for you and your family.

My wife was supposed to be there and had something come up.

My cousin left only minutes before it happened.

BigRedJed
2/28/2007, 01:18 AM
OK. 30 years? You're on. I'll get back with you on this tomorrow.

Boarder
2/28/2007, 01:18 AM
Don't get me wrong, I have been downtown since 1977 and the bombing has been the biggest impact in downtown since then unless the oil bust were to qualify...

That pretty much says it. I think it's safe to say that the whole thing universally sucked for everyone around here.

If you said the biggest event in OKC, you'd have to put in the May 3rd Tornado, too.

Soonerus
2/28/2007, 01:20 AM
That pretty much says it. I think it's safe to say that the whole thing universally sucked for everyone around here.

If you said the biggest event in OKC, you'd have to put in the May 3rd Tornado, too.

FYI, the tornado was not even close to downtown...

Boarder
2/28/2007, 01:21 AM
That's why I said "If you said the biggest event in OKC" meaning the Oklahoma City metro area. I have lived here 30 years.

BigRedJed
2/28/2007, 01:21 AM
I think MAPS ranks above the bombing for overall impact on downtown. We're talking about downtown specifically, right? The bombing obviously had more of an effect on the city as a whole, and if you're talking about human cost, well, there's no question. But if you're talking about changing the face of downtown, MAPS is number 1. Urban Renewal would be number one if you were going back more than 30 years.

I'll get back with you guys in the morning with the definitive list, as I see it.

sanantoniosooner
2/28/2007, 01:22 AM
Shorty's Dockside burning down was pretty bad too.;)

Soonerus
2/28/2007, 01:23 AM
I think MAPS ranks above the bombing for overall impact on downtown. We're talking about downtown specifically, right? The bombing obviously had more of an effect on the city as a whole, and if you're talking about human cost, well, there's no question. But if you're talking about changing the face of downtown, MAPS is number 1. Urban Renewal would be number one if you were going back more than 30 years.

I'll get back with you guys in the morning with the definitive list, as I see it.

I agree with MAPS as #1 impact...no debate...

Boarder
2/28/2007, 01:24 AM
I always considered MAPS as a long process but if you consider it one event, I'd say MAPS, too.

Soonerus
2/28/2007, 01:25 AM
I always considered MAPS as a long process but if you consider it one event, I'd say MAPS, too.

Maps too or MAPS III...

BigRedJed
2/28/2007, 01:29 AM
I would call the conceptualization and passage of the penny sales tax one event. Then I would probably also rank the opening of various MAPS venues separately. In fact, that's what I'm doing in my list. YWIA.

Soonerus
2/28/2007, 01:32 AM
I would call the conceptualization and passage of the penny sales tax one event. Then I would probably also rank the opening of various MAPS venues separately. In fact, that's what I'm doing in my list. YWIA.

The mass of "oilies" downtown followed by the loss of virtually all of them cannot be ignored...

Boarder
2/28/2007, 01:32 AM
Which MAPS was the opening of toby keith's place in? 'cause that one obviously RULES!

OUAndy1807
2/28/2007, 01:37 AM
I think the biggest thing to happen to downtown OKC in the last 20 years is the Braums skating rink at the Civic Center.

def_lazer_fc
2/28/2007, 02:33 AM
what about supplying those guides/helpers/whatever with segways. that was pretty sweet

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/28/2007, 07:58 AM
It would seem that if there were no MAPS, then there wouldn't be a Skirvin. MAPS brought people downtown and created a need for the hotel space. MAPS created a reason for the Skirvin's rejuvenation.