PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me a Story

Viking Kitten
2/27/2007, 11:20 PM
Tonight... my 7-year-old son's reading assigment was a story called "Tell Me a Story," about a little girl who asks her grandma to tell her stories about the olden days. Grandma, or "Abuelita," because it was one of them there new-age P.C. stories featuring people of the Mexican-speaking persuasion, tells her granddaughter stories of not having a car while growing up, cooking over fire, that sort of thing.

So we finished reading the story and my son wants to hear me tell him a story about when I was a little girl growing up.

"Did you have a car?" he asked.

"Well, yeah." I said.

"How did you cook?"

"On a stove, same as now."

"Well how were things different?"

"Well, we didn't have a computer. In fact, my school didn't even have a computer until I was in sixth grade."

"Gosh. What about TV?"

"Oh yeah, that was really different. We didn't have cable until I was about eight. Back in the olden days, we had three channels to pick from. 4, 5 and 9. They went off the air at midnight and that was that. TV was just over. No movie channels at all. No DVD player either. We just had to watch whatever was on."

He put his little head tenderly on my shoulder.

"Wow, Mom. That must have been a hard life."

I patted him on the back.

"It was, honey. It sure was."

PhxSooner
2/27/2007, 11:24 PM
My four-year-old was horrified to learn that I grew up without TIVO.

I tried to explain cable boxes to the kids, but they looked at me like I was speaking Thai.

PhxSooner
2/27/2007, 11:26 PM
On a brighter note, thanks to Boomerang, my kids have an appreciation for the Superfriends, especially the Wonder Twins.

Soonerus
2/27/2007, 11:28 PM
On a brighter note, thanks to Boomerang, my kids have an appreciation for the Superfriends, especially the Wonder Twins.

Kids these days do not understand what it is like to build an airplane out of sticks...btw, I was in Cave Creek at Reach 11 a couple of weeks ago for the grand opening...

Czar Soonerov
2/27/2007, 11:29 PM
We were watching Superfriends recently, and I was wondering how come I never noticed Flash was such a smartass.

PhxSooner
2/27/2007, 11:30 PM
We were watching Superfriends recently, and I was wondering how come I never noticed Flash was such a smartass.
I can't understand why when the Twins change, it's almost always an eagle and a bucket of water. Not very impressive.

OzarkSooner
2/27/2007, 11:30 PM
Yep, I have no stories that will equal my grannie's stories about crossing Arkansas in a covered wagon and seeing the wolve's eyes around the campfire at night. Of course she's been gone for many years now and was well over 80 when she passed.

PhxSooner
2/27/2007, 11:32 PM
Kids these days do not understand what it is like to build an airplane out of sticks...btw, I was in Cave Creek at Reach 11 a couple of weeks ago for the grand opening...
I drove by the entrance on Cave Creek the weekend it opened; it looked busy. I heard that it's got a ton of soccer fields. What else is out there?

And hey, only ten minutes from my house and no call?:mad: :D

Soonerus
2/27/2007, 11:34 PM
10 very nice lighted soccer fields now with 10 more to be added...very nice but not as nice as Pizza Hut fields in Frisco...

Viking Kitten
2/27/2007, 11:34 PM
I can't understand why when the Twins change, it's almost always an eagle and a bucket of water. Not very impressive.

Didn't it usually involve ice of some sort? Like an ice eagle or something?

Octavian
2/27/2007, 11:35 PM
what's funny is that one day your grandkids are gonna have some ultra cool virtual reality room or somthin' and they won't believe their parents (your kids) ever survived w/out it....

each generation gets more toys and less happiness ;)

PhxSooner
2/27/2007, 11:36 PM
The ice was usually when Jana became a gorilla.

Do not ask why I know this.

Soonerus
2/27/2007, 11:40 PM
each generation gets more toys and less happiness ;)

If this were true it would be easy to increase happiness with less toys...too easy...I think kids today are happy...

proud gonzo
2/27/2007, 11:41 PM
heh

jacru
2/27/2007, 11:42 PM
the increasingly rapid pace of technological change assures that each generation's childhood will be that much different from the next generation's.
Whereas before the industrial revolution a child's life was not that much different from their parent's.

Soonerus
2/27/2007, 11:42 PM
heh

Hint to PG, still need a new avatar....

Soonerus
2/27/2007, 11:43 PM
the increasingly rapid pace of technological change assures that each generation's childhood will be that much different from the next generation's.
Whereas before the industrial revolution a child's life was not that much different from the parent's.

possible plagerism...

jacru
2/27/2007, 11:51 PM
possible plagerism...
... or plagiarism.;)

OzarkSooner
2/27/2007, 11:57 PM
It's hard to tell if most kids are happy these days. If you can get them to look up from the TV/Video screen that is.

sanantoniosooner
2/27/2007, 11:59 PM
Of course they aren't happy.

Only 1 in 20 actually gets a teacher that puts out.

proud gonzo
2/28/2007, 12:00 AM
... or plagiarism.;)maybe he thinks you might have the bewbonic plage

PhxSooner
That's why the kids and I turned off the TV this afternoon and went outside. We were pirate spies headed to Africa. Imaginary ants made an appearance at some point.

Soonerus
... or plagiarism.;)

OK, I do not have spell check on this system...

proud gonzo
2/28/2007, 12:02 AM
OK, I do not have spell check on this system...in that case, congratulations for spelling the rest of the words correctly

sanantoniosooner
2/28/2007, 12:02 AM
OK, I do not have spell check on this system...
I wouldn't worry about it.

We can usually find plenty wrong with your posts even if they had correct grammar and spelling.;)

Soonerus
2/28/2007, 12:05 AM
TO PG and SAS: you both need to seriously consider you avatars...they suck...

proud gonzo
2/28/2007, 12:07 AM
TO PG and SAS: you both need to seriously consider you avatars...they suck...you need to seriously consider you grammar.

sanantoniosooner
2/28/2007, 12:07 AM
At least they aren't the size of a stamp from Midgetville.

Soonerus
2/28/2007, 12:08 AM
OK, I considered it and it's fine now, your avatar...geeeezzz...

proud gonzo
2/28/2007, 12:16 AM
At least they aren't the size of a stamp from Midgetville.edit: bad PG

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/28/2007, 12:16 AM
My niece is 7 and she wants a cell phone because her 17 year old sister has one. When her dad told her she didn't need a cell phone she asked her grandma how old she was when she got her first one. She thought my mom was lying when she said she was 55.

tommieharris91
2/28/2007, 01:53 AM
Kids these days...

Xstnlsooner
2/28/2007, 08:47 AM
My niece is 7 and she wants a cell phone because her 17 year old sister has one. When her dad told her she didn't need a cell phone she asked her grandma how old she was when she got her first one. She thought my mom was lying when she said she was 55.

That's hilarious!! :D

SoonerJack
2/28/2007, 08:57 AM
ProudGonzo's avatar is just fine. I don't know who it is (it might be the one girl that played Corky Sherwood on that one show) and I don't know where it's from, but it makes me laugh. Don't change it PG.

Nothing better than telling "Back in the Day" stories to your kids. "So you just had records dad, no CD's?" "yes, and before that we had 8-track tapes and they were terrible....<old man voice> but weee liked it </old man voice>.

proud gonzo
2/28/2007, 04:53 PM
ProudGonzo's avatar is just fine. I don't know who it is (it might be the one girl that played Corky Sherwood on that one show) and I don't know where it's from, but it makes me laugh. Don't change it PG.
Jamie Pressley as Joy on the show "My Name is Earl" (you're thinking of Faith Ford)

Beef
2/28/2007, 05:02 PM
maybe he thinks you might have the bewbonic plage
I wish some bewbs were on me right now.

Vaevictis
2/28/2007, 05:05 PM

mcdonalds.jpg

sanantoniosooner
2/28/2007, 05:09 PM
http://www.fightclubquote.com/images/bob-fight-club.jpg