PDA

View Full Version : Roof ******-*******s

BajaOklahoma
2/27/2007, 09:18 PM
What the heck are Architectural Grade composite fiberglass shingles?
Good, bad or find a new builder?

TIA

sanantoniosooner
2/27/2007, 09:21 PM
Usually they are good.

Just ask what the year warranty is on them. 20-25.....not so hot 30-40.....pretty good.

Also the type. 3-Tab or laminated. Usually "architectural" implies laminated in my experience.

Laminated look like the fake wood shake shingles.

1stTimeCaller
2/27/2007, 09:23 PM
I'd guess that they are pretty to look at but aren't worth a damn.

just kidding. I have no idea what 'Architectural Grade' means.

OUAndy1807
2/27/2007, 09:34 PM
"Architectural grade" is probably like when something is marketed as "Contractor Grade" (here's a hint: If it's contractor grade, contractor's know it and they don't have to put it on the packaging.)

BajaOklahoma
2/27/2007, 10:12 PM
That's why I'm asking. They say 30 years.
I have yet to see any that actually look like wood shingles.

I'm doing my new-home-work.
We eliminated the builder whose show home lost a significant number of shingles and had many more flapping in the last Saturday's little breeze.
If that's what I see, I have to wonder what is going on that I can't see.
We built out first house during our first year of marriage. It still looks good when we drive by.

Thanks.

OUinFLA
2/27/2007, 10:20 PM

We eliminated the builder whose show home lost a significant number of shingles and had many more flapping in the last Saturday's little breeze.
We built out first house during our first year of marriage. It still looks good when we drive by.

Thanks.

Well then, it's simple, what type of shingles did you have on that first house?
Get the same :D

OzarkSooner
2/27/2007, 11:33 PM
You can have/buy the best shingles in the world and if they don't get put on right, they're almost worthless.

1stTimeCaller
2/27/2007, 11:40 PM

Thanks.

welcome to every home built since at least 1990.

If you want to scare a home builder tell them you know how to use a plumb bob and a right triangle.

OU4LIFE
2/28/2007, 08:58 AM
one of those shows that is like Mythbusters did a test on shingles a couple weeks ago.

They found that there was a decent difference between 10 year, and 20 year warranty shingles, but the difference between the 20 year and the 30 and 40 was negligible. Some were even less durable that the 20 year shingle. FWIW.

If I had the bank, i'd go with the metal shingles that look like asphalt ones. Those things kick ***. AND i'd only have to roof it once.

sanantoniosooner
2/28/2007, 09:06 AM
one of those shows that is like Mythbusters did a test on shingles a couple weeks ago.

They found that there was a decent difference between 10 year, and 20 year warranty shingles, but the difference between the 20 year and the 30 and 40 was negligible. Some were even less durable that the 20 year shingle. FWIW.

If I had the bank, i'd go with the metal shingles that look like asphalt ones. Those things kick ***. AND i'd only have to roof it once.
25 year is the lowest I usually go.

Usually the 30-40 year stuff is a little better but cosmetically way better.

I'm not convinced on the metal shingles. Too many of these "lifetime" products get discontinued and then you are in a bind when a hail storm comes along. I've seen it with siding a LOT.

OU4LIFE
2/28/2007, 09:09 AM
dude, these things were like 16 gauge steel. Seriously, they were thick. It would have to be some serious hail to dent these things.

OU4LIFE
2/28/2007, 09:11 AM
these are steel:

http://www.tamko.com/Portals/0/media/600_her_AtmBrn_IV_26.jpg
http://www.tamko.com/Portals/0/media/600_her_AgeeWd_IV_11.jpg

sanantoniosooner
2/28/2007, 09:12 AM
I see steel roofing with hail dimples fairly often.

The shake lookalikes show it less compared to some other types.

Widescreen
2/28/2007, 09:13 AM
Arrange for a ginormous fan to appear at a builder's model home. Crank it up to 70mph for a half hour and blow it on the house. If the roof holds, go with that builder.

YWIA.

;)

OU4LIFE
2/28/2007, 09:13 AM
oh, and back to the original post, I though that architectural shingles just meant they were textured to look sort of like shake shingles. Like the pictures above.

OU4LIFE
2/28/2007, 09:14 AM
I see steel roofing with hail dimples fairly often.

The shake lookalikes show it less compared to some other types.

stop arguing with me, it's making you look silly.

;)

sanantoniosooner
2/28/2007, 09:15 AM
stop arguing with me, it's making you look silly.

;)
and by other types, I meant other types of steel roofing.

Turd_Ferguson
2/28/2007, 11:00 AM
Architectual means that it has the shake or staggard look. Don't think you can get the architectual in a 25yr. The difference between the 25, 30, 40 & 50yr is the thickness of the shingle. 25yr is a p.o.s. & the 30yr is the most commonly used. 40yr & 50yr are expensive as hell and they weigh out the ***, but they should still be looking good after you've taken a dirt nap. I'm talkin asphalt, not fiberglass.

TF

OUAndy1807
2/28/2007, 11:37 AM
the other thing to look out for is the felt they use. your roof is basically 2 roof systems: the ice and water barrier below that should be watertight on it's own but just isn't as durable, and the top system. for you to get a leak, you should have to have a problem in both systems in the same place, which is really uncommon unless the roof is installed incorrectly.

ask them what kind of felt the use and make sure it's at least 30 pound.

BajaOklahoma
2/28/2007, 06:21 PM
Arrange for a ginormous fan to appear at a builder's model home. Crank it up to 70mph for a half hour and blow it on the house. If the roof holds, go with that builder.

YWIA.

;)

Mother Nature did that for us last weekend. :D We did eliminate one builder and the other had no issues on the homes we looked at in the area.

Thanks for all of the help.

StoopTroup
2/28/2007, 06:25 PM
Titanium shingles are the way to go IMHO.

If you can find some kryptonite shingles though...they are the best.