PDA

View Full Version : NOTES FROM THE COMBINE

stoops the eternal pimp
2/27/2007, 07:26 PM
What a great few days it was in Indianapolis as I was able to spend a few days at the dome watching some workouts of some great athletes. I always enjoy the trip to Indy. The downtown area is one of the easiest places to get around and there is a Steak and Shake just a couple of blocks away from the stadium. a few thoughts from the workouts..

Buzz circulated quickly about the news surrounding AD's loss early Sunday morning of his half brother. And lots of the scouts were counting on him not being able to put together an impressive workout anyway due to the collarbone injury and lost time in the gym. After the news, most thought it would be a subpar workout for sure. All of you guys are aware of the numbers he put up, but I ll say the biggest buzz about him was his character. Many athletes put up fake personalities at the NFLC but not him. In fact 2 of the best athletes in the combine(AD and Calvin Johnson) proved to be two of the best guys to be around in the event.And these days the interviews have more to do with draft spot than the physical part of it(see Dan Cody..bad interviews cost him many dollars)..It will be a complete shock if the Browns dont take him at 3. They have been shopping that pick around though.

Rufus Alexander had an up and down workout. His forty time was slower than what he hoped for(4.7) but did good in his shuttles and was in the upper tier in bench press reps(26) in his group. He did come in a bit heavier than his typical playing weight, weighing in at 230. The Indianapolis Colts are very interested in Rufus as well as the Rams...

Zach Latimer and Larry Birdine both needed better combines than what they had. Usually your undersized players need good to great forties and impressive shuttles/cones to improve their stock. Neither finished in the top ten in their groups with Birdine's only top 10 finish was in the 3 cone(7th). Both had low reps in the 225(Lat 19 Birdine 21). It may better for them not to get drafted and to go in as UDRFA's and impress a team in rookie mini camp.

C J Ah You could have improved his stock more than any other Sooner at the NFLC. Many thought he would have to go in as a UDRFA but he may have bumped himself up to a late day 1/early day 2 pick with his workout. He has true DE size at 275 and finished top in his group in vertical and had a great 40 (4.7). C J was tops in 2 areas of testing(vertical and 3 cone) and was in the top 5 in every area of testing except broad jump (8th).

Paul Thompson had a good workout at the WR spot finishing among the leaders in his shuttles cones and the broad jump. His forty was a bit slow for a WR (for some reason I missed this but I was told mid 4.6's) but he ll get an invite to camp.

Other Big 12ers

Justin Blalock from Texas had a very impressive 40 reps at 225 and a decent 40 time. I will say for the record he is a lot more pleasant to be around than former Texas lineman Jonathan Scott. The only person I d rather not be around than Jonathan Scott is Jonathan Scott's dad. Sorry but dealin with those 2 last year made me almost decide not to go back.

Blalock and Studdard both were good to talk with. Even got a laugh out of them when I asked if their 2nd place big 12 finish had left any emotional scars..I m not professional all the time.

Gabe Hall from Texas Tech was very impressive until the bench reps..He finished top 5 in every category til he put up a low 22 reps. still improved his stock a bunch.

Manuel Ramirez from TT was also very impressive with his 40 reps at 225 and did well in his interviews. Its amazing to me that TT hasnt put more OL in the league the last few years..

FYI

Calvin Johnson is an absolute freak of nature. 6'5 239 4.35 40 in borrowed shoes. And has more of the demeanor of a Isaac Bruce or Marvin Harrison. After seeing the likes of the TOs and Randy Moss, this guy is someone that isnt going to embarass your team or the league.

Was able to meet Gil Brandt this time. Amazing football knowledge. Seems like he can read football players like a book just by watching them walk around.

OU-HSV
2/27/2007, 07:33 PM
Paul Thompson had a good workout at the WR spot finishing among the leaders in his shuttles cones and the broad jump. His forty was a bit slow for a WR (for some reason I missed this but I was told mid 4.6's) but he ll get an invite to camp.
That's wierd, everytime I saw ENA on t.v. he was working out w/the QBs. I didn't know he worked in w/the WRs too.
Thanks for the notes, I bet it was a blast

SoonerLB
2/27/2007, 07:33 PM
Good read, thanks man!

stoops the eternal pimp
2/27/2007, 07:42 PM
That's wierd, everytime I saw ENA on t.v. he was working out w/the QBs. I didn't know he worked in w/the WRs too.
Thanks for the notes, I bet it was a blast

no problem. I thought PT might stay and work out with the dbs for a while too..With the exception of his speed, he could be a 3rd or 4th receiver and looks like he would be better in a slot spot somewhere.

I m watching the NFL network now and even though their coverage is better, they still seem to miss a lot of whats going on.

TripleOption14
2/27/2007, 07:54 PM
Good stuff my man. I think the reason why teams tend to shy away from Tech OL is because of the spacing and system at Tech. NO ONE in the NFL is doing the HUGE gap blocking scheme that Tech somehow gets away with. However, I do think Ramirez will be good. That guy is a friggin monster!!! Also, he should be a steal for someone. And yes you are correct Calvin showed HANDS DOWN why is the number ONE player to be taken in this draft. To be 6'6 240 and to run what he did basically just for sh!ts and giggles is CRAZY!!! :eek: Tampa Bay is gonna get a SUPERSTAR!! Mark it down!!

PDXsooner
2/27/2007, 07:54 PM
The only person I d rather not be around than Jonathan Scott is Jonathan Scott's dad. Sorry but dealin with those 2 last year made me almost decide not to go back.

care to elaborate?

OU-HSV
2/27/2007, 08:10 PM
no problem. I thought PT might stay and work out with the dbs for a while too..With the exception of his speed, he could be a 3rd or 4th receiver and looks like he would be better in a slot spot somewhere.

I m watching the NFL network now and even though their coverage is better, they still seem to miss a lot of whats going on.
What I don't like about their coverage is how often they jumped around. They wouldn't stick to one drill very long. But hey...it's better than watching hockey or some sh*t like that.

trwxxa
2/27/2007, 08:16 PM
What I don't like about their coverage is how often they jumped around. They wouldn't stick to one drill very long. But hey...it's better than watching the NBA or some sh*t like that.

Thanks for the info STEP. The talk in Houston is that after AD's performance, he will not be around at #8. Too bad for me. The Texans really do not have alot to offer in order to move up to get him.

BajaOklahoma
2/27/2007, 08:23 PM
Blalock went to high school with my kids. A nice young man - for a whorn. ;)

olevetonahill
2/27/2007, 08:35 PM
Everyone Give spek to STEP . thanks for the report Bro .
I didnt get to watch much .

TripleOption14
2/27/2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the info STEP. The talk in Houston is that after AD's performance, he will not be around at #8. Too bad for me. The Texans really do not have alot to offer in order to move up to get him.

Yeah, i've been saying that AD would be a Brown before he even declared. The combine just makes that educated guess that much more believable.

Jello Biafra
2/27/2007, 09:02 PM
maybe we should ruin this pricks career as well.....

by the way, whats ****** been up to lately? :)

loopicka that is :)

sweet jesus! how did this get on this thread? lol it was suppose to be for the AD is coldhearted thread......

stoops the eternal pimp
2/27/2007, 11:21 PM
care to elaborate?

Jonathan Scotts dad was a former player, i think the Jets. He went around parading as if his boy was the best lineman that ever played the game. I was in a group of people that just piled up praise on JS because his dad being there.

I felt like JS was being overrated because of inconsistency. He often pass blocked upright with stiff legs and was the reason for many a VY highlight reel(DE gets past Scott, flushed VY out, VY runs for 30 yards and the only thing talked about was VY's escapability: there is a reason he had to scramble). He had mediocre footwork in pass protection and blah blah blah..

Many had him going at number 28 or 29 and I had him as a early 3rd rounder.
Somebody tells his dad that I said 3rd round and his dad just goes off on me, writing emails to me, and basically ruined my credibility with people I was working with at the time because I was an "Oklahoma guy" and I was judging talent through crimson tinted glasses.

Led to a slow decay in the working relationship I was building at that time..Anyway now Im tryin to get my foot back in the door as far as draft scouting..

BTW I was wrong about JS...He was taken in the 5th round but I was a lot closer than those guys.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/27/2007, 11:25 PM
BTW some people have some questions about me. Here is that message

No sir. I am not a sportswriter.

I have worked with Draft services(a lot of the internet sites) and have done some different things as far as helping smaller school players hook up with agents and things like that. At first it was just a hobby. Then a job. Now its a hobby again til I sign on with someone else.

I m a youth pastor of a church. Thats my REAL job.

OzarkSooner
2/27/2007, 11:50 PM
Good stuff STEP, thanks!

Big Red Ron
2/27/2007, 11:54 PM

I have worked with Draft services(a lot of the internet sites) and have done some different things as far as helping smaller school players hook up with agents and things like that. At first it was just a hobby. Then a job. Now its a hobby again til I sign on with someone else.

I m a youth pastor of a church. Thats my REAL job.Very cool!

Ruuuuuufus
2/28/2007, 01:10 AM
Since you were there, can you verify whether AD did or did not run any of the shuttles or the 3 cone drill? I've heard conflicting reports.

(sorry if this has been mentioned before)

Rhino
2/28/2007, 01:22 AM
Oh, Jonathan Scott...is faaaaaabulous!

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/5986/jonathanscottlb4.jpg

PDXsooner
2/28/2007, 01:30 AM
thanks. sounds like a real *********. now i have someone to root against in the nfl...if he plays.

LittleWingSooner
2/28/2007, 01:44 AM
Paul worked out with the WRs on the running stuff. And held his own. But he also worked with the QBs and held his own there. Paul threw all week for the WRs and TEs in their drills.

Rufus will never look great as a physical or test speciman. He's about 6-0, playing weight will be around 220. And he's not gonna wow you in the 40 time. And his strength is good but it's not great. But he is a better player on the field then what he'll ever test out.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2007, 10:17 AM
Paul worked out with the WRs on the running stuff. And held his own. But he also worked with the QBs and held his own there. Paul threw all week for the WRs and TEs in their drills.

Rufus will never look great as a physical or test speciman. He's about 6-0, playing weight will be around 220. And he's not gonna wow you in the 40 time. And his strength is good but it's not great. But he is a better player on the field then what he'll ever test out.

Right on about Rufus. That extra weight might have slowed down what could have been a 4.6 but he needed to come in weighing more than his playing weight which was usually 217-219. I think the thing that may have hurt him more is the guys that showed up that nobody was thinking about (Antwan Barnes,Florida Int, Quincy Black, New Mexico, Zak DeOssie, Brown) that blew people away with great workouts. I think there were more suprised at the LB position than any other.

Also heard this morning that many of the scouts clocked AD at 4.35 on his first 40 run.

picasso
2/28/2007, 11:03 AM
did you check out the Eiteljorg museum or was it all football and eats?

that downtown is nice and they've done a great job with the canal.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/28/2007, 11:10 AM

I m a youth pastor of a church. Thats my REAL job.How did you decide on your SF.com name?

picasso
2/28/2007, 11:22 AM
How did you decide on your SF.com name?
he used to play yard ball with Carl. mhmmmmmmmm.

LittleWingSooner
2/28/2007, 12:13 PM
Right on about Rufus. That extra weight might have slowed down what could have been a 4.6 but he needed to come in weighing more than his playing weight which was usually 217-219. I think the thing that may have hurt him more is the guys that showed up that nobody was thinking about (Antwan Barnes,Florida Int, Quincy Black, New Mexico, Zak DeOssie, Brown) that blew people away with great workouts. I think there were more suprised at the LB position than any other.

Also heard this morning that many of the scouts clocked AD at 4.35 on his first 40 run.

At OU he never really ran a 4.6 though. In fact 4.7 is really fast for him. But again it's not how he test. He plays much faster and much better. Shedding blockers will be a problem for him though.

Sooner-by-Marriage
2/28/2007, 12:38 PM
Does anyone know what AD benched?

Texas Golfer
2/28/2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks, STEP, for the update. Much appreciated.

SoonerAtKU
2/28/2007, 01:08 PM
Does anyone know what AD benched?

He didn't, due to the collarbone injury.

GoState
2/28/2007, 01:48 PM
I thought you guys would enjoy these pics of Adrian:

http://espn-ak.starwave.com/photo/2007/0228/nfl_w_peterson_412.jpg

http://espn-ak.starwave.com/photo/2007/0228/nfl_w_peterson_195.jpg

Article here... (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2782464)

Seamus
2/28/2007, 02:04 PM
Cool. I like how the workout togs sort of look like Sooner gear.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2007, 03:02 PM
he used to play yard ball with Carl. mhmmmmmmmm.

I came up with it after they let me out of the nervous hospital..said I was well...mhmmmmmmm

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/28/2007, 03:15 PM
I came up with it after they let me out of the nervous hospital..said I was well...mhmmmmmmmOK, you can explain the joke.

OU-HSV
2/28/2007, 03:28 PM
Yeah, sounds like we're just outside the inside joke to this one.

birddog
2/28/2007, 03:32 PM
friggin' sling blade. people.

sheesh.

but i like to call it a kaiser blade.

badger
2/28/2007, 06:57 PM
remember boys... if you run slow at the combine, this is all you will do in an nfl uniform:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1rAPT7O4x0
(yes, that is maurice clarett)

SicEmBaylor
2/28/2007, 07:49 PM
Could you give a report on the 3 Baylor players in the combine.
CJ Wilson, Sep, and I forget who the third is.

I'd especially like to hear about Sepulveda.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2007, 08:51 PM
Daniel Sep was the best punter hands down. Sep's technique was raved about as far as the way he does directional kicks pooch kicks with a old technique taught to him by australian rules kicker.

C J Wilson had a good workout finishing amongst the tops in his group in just about every category except the 40. He was very impressive in his shuttles and cones which is pretty important at the corner position. 40 run might have knocked him down a bit and needs to run a better time on his pro day. right now i would say 2nd day pick. may be playing safety at the next level.

Anthony Arline was very impressive with his 4.43 40 and at 6'2, ,was the tallest corner at the combine. Did not impress in his shuttle drills or in his bench (12 reps) but may have ran his way into the 5th or 6th round

trwxxa
2/28/2007, 08:51 PM
Could you give a report on the 3 Baylor players in the combine.
CJ Wilson, Sep, and I forget who the third is.

I'd especially like to hear about Sepulveda.

It was Arline. I read where scouts were impressed with his speed and footwork, especially for a 6'2" CB.

I also read that Sepulveda had the best punter workouts, by a wide margin.

Since this is all subjective, wait for the post where someone read they stunk;)

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2007, 08:57 PM
Arline isnt as smooth as the smaller corners right now as far as changing direction and hips werent as smooth as far as turning and running. He does have enough raw ability to be coached though into what he needs to do

rufnek05
3/1/2007, 12:47 AM
remember boys... if you run slow at the combine, this is all you will do in an nfl uniform:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1rAPT7O4x0
(yes, that is maurice clarett)

sombody is having a bad trip. he should have stayed off the smack

Fraggle145
3/1/2007, 02:29 AM
friggin' sling blade. people.

sheesh.

but i like to call it a kaiser blade.

I like mustard on my taters, mmmmhhm.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/1/2007, 10:12 PM
Rumor is that Cleveland is going to make a trade for quarterback Matt Schaub and are excited about having Schaub and Peterson in the backfield.

Also How much extra did Peterson earn when Cleveland won the coin toss to get the 3rd pick instead of the 4th?...It means about 7 million more dollars for one Mr Peterson.