PDA

View Full Version : We play @ Tulsa on a FRIDAY!!?

colleyvillesooner
2/27/2007, 09:44 AM
Great, there's another vacation day I need that I don't have.

http://www.fox23.com/sports/story.aspx?content_id=79efef60-6ccc-499d-8065-e84ec161de42

Tulsa Announces 2007 Football Schedule
Last Update: Feb 26, 2007 7:54 PM

Save/Share Story
digg reddit
newsvine Google
del.icio.us Yahoo!

February 26th, 2007 (Tulsa, Oklahoma) –– The University of Tulsa’s football schedule for the 2007 season was announced today by TU’s Director of Athletics Bubba Cunningham. Tulsa’s six-game home schedule features contests against two teams that completed the 2006 campaign ranked among the nation’s top-25, including No. 11 Oklahoma and No. 16 Brigham Young.

The Hurricane has two games televised on ESPN2 and will play a total of four teams that appeared in Bowl games in 2006.

“This is a great schedule and a challenging one. The best thing about it is that it’s an incredible home schedule with BYU, Oklahoma, UAB, Marshall, SMU and Houston,” said Tulsa Head Coach Todd Graham. “We’re excited about the opportunity to play this demanding type of schedule.”

Tulsa and Louisiana-Monroe will kick-off the 2007 college football season on Thursday, August 30. The match-up, set for ESPN2 at 6:00 pm, is the first college game of the year. This will be Tulsa’s first time to play UL-Monroe on the road, as the series is tied 1-1 with both games being played at Skelly Stadium. The Hurricane did play on ULM’s home field against Tulane in 2005, capturing a 38-14 victory.

UL-Monroe posted a 4-8 record last year, winning its final two games. Five of ULM’s losses were by five points or less, including narrow two-point losses at Kansas and at Kentucky.

“To be able to come home to Tulsa and open up the 2007 season as the first college football game of the year is truly exciting,” added Graham.

After an open week, Tulsa will return to Skelly Stadium to open the home season against the BYU Cougars on September 15. This is the third time that BYU visits Tulsa and the first time since the 1996 season.

The Cougars are coming off of an 11-2 record and enters the 2007 campaign with a 10-game winning streak. BYU defeated Oregon 38-8 in the Pioneer PureVision Las Vegas Bowl to close out the season last year.

A week later, the Oklahoma Sooners will be making their ninth appearance in Tulsa and second in the last six years. The game will be played Friday night, Sept. 21 on ESPN2. Oklahoma finished the 2006 season with an 11-3 record and claimed the Big12 Conference Championship.

The Sooners hold a 14-7-1 series record against the Hurricane. The teams last played in the 2005 season as 18th-ranked OU grabbed a come-from-behind 31-15 win in Norman.

For the third straight season, Tulsa opens the Conference USA schedule at home with a Sept. 29 game against the UAB Blazers. UAB is one of three new C-USA opponents from the East Division on the Hurricane schedule this season.

After three straight home games in four weeks, Tulsa goes back on the road for the first time since the season opener to face the UTEP Miners on October 6 in El Paso, Texas. Tulsa has a 9-6 series advantage over the Miners including a 30-20 comeback victory last season.

Tulsa returns home on Oct. 13 to play Marshall for the first time in school history. The Thundering Herd finished in third-place in the C-USA East Division with a 4-4 record a year ago.

The Hurricane will return to the site of its 2005 Conference USA Championship game victory on Oct. 20 to face the UCF Golden Knights. The only previous meeting between the two schools came in that championship game as the Hurricane posted a 44-27 victory that propelled Tulsa into the AutoZone Liberty Bowl.

The Knights will be playing in a new on-campus stadium scheduled to open this year.

Tulsa will close out the month of October with a home contest against SMU on Oct. 27. The Hurricane has won the last two games at home against the Mustangs. SMU finished the 2006 campaign with a 6-6 overall mark behind C-USA Freshman of the Year quarterback Justin Willis.

Tulsa will play three of four games in the month of November on the road, including the first one against the Tulane Green Wave on Nov. 3, at the New Orleans Superdome. Tulsa claimed a 31-3 home victory over Tulane last year to take a 2-1 edge in the series.

The last two Conference USA champions will meet on Nov. 10 at Skelly Stadium as the Houston Cougars come to town to close out Tulsa’s home portion of the schedule. Houston posted an overall 10-4 record last year, while winning the C-USA West Division and defeating Southern Miss in the C-USA Championship Game.

The Cougars dropped a 44-36 decision to South Carolina in the 2006 AutoZone Liberty Bowl.

Tulsa takes a break from conference action on the second last weekend of the regular season as the Hurricane travels to West Point, New York, to play Army on Nov. 17. This is the first-ever meeting between the two teams.

A week later, Tulsa closes out the regular season with a road game in Houston, Texas, against the Rice Owls on Nov. 24. Tulsa will seek to avenge an overtime loss against the Owls from last year. Rice finished the 2006 season with a 7-6 record and a 6-2 C-USA mark, while making its first Bowl appearance since 1961.

The_Red_Patriot
2/27/2007, 09:47 AM
Ill be there.

John Kochtoston
2/27/2007, 10:11 AM
I thought OU wasn't going to go head-to-head with high schools?:confused:

Boomer.....
2/27/2007, 10:33 AM
I heard this yesterday. I have not heard OU confirm this, though. OU still shows that game scheduled for Saturday.

Tear Down This Wall
2/27/2007, 10:38 AM
We're trying to get into the Mountain West Conference. Good move, Joe.

The_Red_Patriot
2/27/2007, 10:39 AM
I thought OU wasn't going to go head-to-head with high schools?:confused:

That high school team came to Norman in 05 and would of beat us if Peterson hadnt carried our asses to victory in the second half.

Tulsa is a good team.

boomersooner82
2/27/2007, 10:49 AM
Wasn't the '02 game up there on a Friday night?

Boomer.....
2/27/2007, 10:59 AM
I think so.

CincySooner
2/27/2007, 11:12 AM

yes.

okienole3
2/27/2007, 11:29 AM
That high school team came to Norman in 05 and would of beat us if Peterson hadnt carried our asses to victory in the second half.

Tulsa is a good team.

I think he meant head-to-head with Friday Night Lights.

BermudaSooner
2/27/2007, 12:18 PM
How can our record only be 14-7-1 against them? Did we play them 15 times in the 90s?

colleyvillesooner
2/27/2007, 12:26 PM
How can our record only be 14-7-1 against them? Did we play them 15 times in the 90s?

http://www.soonerstats.com/fb/series/details.cfm?OppID=39

we're 8-1 since 1979. We didn't play from 1943-1979.

Pricetag
2/27/2007, 02:02 PM
If the city offers a shuttle service from the fairgrounds, do not, I repeat, do not use it. We missed like half the first quarter, and I thought there was going to be a riot for a little while as kickoff neared. It was the most disorganized joke I've ever seen.

rufnek05
2/27/2007, 03:29 PM
friday night? thats gaye. i guess i'll have to skip class to go to that game, oh well.

tru2ou
2/27/2007, 03:50 PM
Tulsa's stadium sucks anyway and last time we played there the parking was a nightmare. They were bussing people in from the fairgrounds and it took 30 minutes to get a bus.

I swore I would never go back and I begged Joe Cash to not play there again. I guess that didnt work out too well...

- Tru

Taxman71
2/27/2007, 04:43 PM
Given that the Pukes are scared to death of playing in Tulsa (or against Tulsa), it might be a good recruiting tool to let the Tulsa athletes see OU in person during their formative years. Should help recruiting these same kids in a few years. Someone should round up all the cheap Skelley Stadium tix and let the 12-15 year old future prospects see the Sooners in person.

AllAboutThe'O'
2/27/2007, 06:56 PM
Yes, it was the last free Friday night before high schools began its season.

bri
2/27/2007, 07:02 PM
I swore I would never go back and I begged Joe Cash to not play there again. I guess that didnt work out too well...

- Tru

Wow, it must suck to realize you're not nearly as important as you think you are.

John Kochtoston
2/27/2007, 07:25 PM

Tulsa is a good team.

I'm well aware that Tulsa is a good team. I'm also well aware of what happened in '05. I meant that OU, in the past, has not moved games to Friday because they didn't want to take away from Friday Night High School football. '02 was an exception, as high school had not started by then. In fact, the '02 game is what caused the stir in the first place, as high school coaches weren't going to be too happy if OU made a habit of moving games to Friday night.

OU-HSV
2/27/2007, 07:37 PM
Tulsa's stadium sucks anyway and last time we played there the parking was a nightmare. They were bussing people in from the fairgrounds and it took 30 minutes to get a bus.

- Tru
I went to the Union vs. Jenks game last season at TU and I agree, parking was stupid. We parked to the west of Metro Diner in a big dirt area where construction was ongoing. The stadium sucks and the parking sucks.

bri
2/27/2007, 07:57 PM
If you parked just west of Metro diner, then you parked about a block from Skelly. Where the hell do you park when you go to games in Norman? I usually have to walk at least a block.

No, Skelly isn't nearly as shiny as Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium. But TU is in the middle of a major renovation project, and it's still easier to park and walk to a Hurricane game than to do the same in Norman. You know, if you know what you're doing.

OU-HSV
2/27/2007, 08:06 PM
If you parked just west of Metro diner, then you parked about a block from Skelly. Where the hell do you park when you go to games in Norman? I usually have to walk at least a block.

No, Skelly isn't nearly as shiny as Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium. But TU is in the middle of a major renovation project, and it's still easier to park and walk to a Hurricane game than to do the same in Norman. You know, if you know what you're doing.
I wasn't saying I didn't get to park close. I am saying their parking situation sucks/it's unorganized. It's just kind of a free for all. Yes you can park close (or could last season). The dirt we parked in may be a building by now, I haven't been up that way lately. Of course we park far away in Norman, but we draw an azzload more fans too.

soonerboomer93
2/27/2007, 08:06 PM
So you'll be posting a map with parking areas reasonably close to the stadium before the game?

:D

MichiganSooner
2/27/2007, 08:07 PM
They have tore one endzone down so there are fewer seats...so fewer vehicles will be looking for parking places...so I predict parking will not be a headache.

goingoneight
2/27/2007, 10:40 PM
I got friends at TU who pull for OU, so i'll be there... and likely one of a few in that little hundred-seat stadium. Last time i went to a game at Tulsa, they whooped Okie Light in front of my die-hard Okie-Light fan cousin.

bri
2/28/2007, 12:19 AM
I think you mean 33,000-seat stadium.

Which, considering that if you put every living TU alumnus in there, it still wouldn't be full, is quite enough for the 'Cane's purposes.

tommieharris91
2/28/2007, 02:10 AM
I wasn't saying I didn't get to park close. I am saying their parking situation sucks/it's unorganized. It's just kind of a free for all. Yes you can park close (or could last season). The dirt we parked in may be a building by now, I haven't been up that way lately. Of course we park far away in Norman, but we draw an azzload more fans too.

Our house is almost 3 times the size of theirs, too.

Boomer.....
2/28/2007, 12:40 PM
It has been confirmed by OU.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=300&ATCLID=808115

def_lazer_fc
2/28/2007, 12:50 PM
hey, at least it isn't at baylor's half empty stadium.

OSUAggie
2/28/2007, 12:52 PM
I hate TU. Go Sooners.

Thousands Strong
2/28/2007, 03:42 PM
Has to be the worst decision Joe's made as AD. Short of the OSSAA changing its own schedule a la fall break (where the maj of h.s. play on a Thurs), this self-cannibalization logic gets us...

...the Sooners playing in our home state where virtually NONE of our own recruiting base (players, parents or coaches) will be able to attend or watch live on TV. Same for thousands of fans who otherwise watch/attend. We lost two of the best players in the state last year and Joe thinks this is a GOOD idea?

Even assuming the OSSAA bails OU out from a statewide perspective...
It doesn't seem worth that MASSIVE :rolleyes: payday for a friday night game on the deuce against a Mtn. West team! We've got the NCAA hanging over us :eek: , lost our last game to a bag of potatoes :mad: , and now you've actually AGREED to play nobody on night when nobody's watching (b/c everyone knows that only nobodies play on fridays)? :confused:

Thousands Strong
2/28/2007, 03:56 PM
btw, the '02 game got a pass because (a) it was during h.s. preseason (where scrimages get arranged and moved all the time), and (b) the friday night college game was seemingly unique and didn't have the now-common association with 2nd-3rd tier conferences.

Boomer.....
2/28/2007, 03:59 PM
I think that it is a bad move by Joe C. also.

Pricetag
2/28/2007, 04:05 PM
So you'll be posting a map with parking areas reasonably close to the stadium before the game?

:D
There are all kinds of neighborhood streets around the stadium where you can park for free. If you mind the no parking signs, you'll be just fine.

Call me kooky, but I think high school football in Oklahoma is going to survive this thing.

OSUAggie
2/28/2007, 05:16 PM
When playing these types of games (pseudo road game against a typically inferior opponent), I think it's best to play them on a Thursday or Friday night if the game is towards the beginning of the season (I would think a game in September would qualify for this). The argument that only losers play on Friday night only holds true for games after conference play begins, I think.

If one approaches the situation realistically, the likelihood of a bigger television audience for a game between Oklahoma and Tulsa is greater if played in primetime during the week as opposed to a Saturday afternoon that has a full allotment of games from which to choose. The move by Castiglione or Stoops or whomever won't really be quite as detrimental as some are suggesting.

The high schools will be fine. OU's reputation will be fine (as long as they win). There's no need to worry about the chance for in-state kids to see OU play, because OU is now and probably always will be the dominant program in the state, and that is definitely pounded into the kids' heads from birth. If a kid is a legit player and wants to go to school in-state, the likelihood that he'll go to Oklahoma is much, much greater than him going to OSU or Tulsa.

Big Red Ron
2/28/2007, 05:42 PM
Tulsa sucks. :D

Seriously though, statistically about 10 Sooner Fans will likely be murdered while visiting "T-Town."

bri
2/28/2007, 05:45 PM
It doesn't seem worth that MASSIVE :rolleyes: payday for a friday night game on the deuce against a Mtn. West team! We've got the NCAA hanging over us :eek: , lost our last game to a bag of potatoes :mad: , and now you've actually AGREED to play nobody on night when nobody's watching (b/c everyone knows that only nobodies play on fridays)? :confused:

You know, you might want to actually know what the hell you're talking about before you open your mouth. Might make you seem marginally less stupid.

Tulsa is a member of Conference USA, not the Mountain West. In fact, they won the C-USA title in 2005, while we were struggling to go 8-5. Make no mistake, we're playing this nationally-televised primetime game because of Tulsa's rise from the ashes of the Burns era. If we were merely cashing in on the Sooner "mystique", this would just be another regionally-televised FSN game. And that "bag of potatoes" finished the season in the Top 10, so it might be time to give them some respect.

You know, or you can just go ahead and continue sounding like a complete and total moron. Whichever works best for you, Chief.

Big Red Ron
2/28/2007, 05:47 PM
I believe we are playing in Tulsa on a two to one or three to one contract. I expect Tulsa to get as much out of their one as possible.

NormanPride
2/28/2007, 05:49 PM
bri's just mad because they canceled beer sales last year.

colleyvillesooner
2/28/2007, 05:55 PM
You know, you might want to actually know what the hell you're talking about before you open your mouth. Might make you seem marginally less stupid.

Tulsa is a member of Conference USA, not the Mountain West. In fact, they won the C-USA title in 2005, while we were struggling to go 8-5.

We were 8-4. ;)

bri
2/28/2007, 05:59 PM
Oh, snap. My bad.

Struggling to go 8-4.

Thousands Strong
2/28/2007, 07:50 PM
Oh snap. My bad.

against a C-USA team.

peace to you, bri :cool:

sparx1
2/28/2007, 11:35 PM
[Please tell me it is not true. I have for my lifetime equated Thursday or Friday football games with "joke" schools.

bri
3/1/2007, 12:12 AM
So, SEC schools (frequent appearances on Thursday nights) are "joke" schools?

Was OU a "joke" school when we played on Friday night in '02?

If your other 14 posts are as stupid as that one, no wonder it looks like when you bleed, you bleed red spek.

rufnek05
3/1/2007, 12:43 AM

If your other 14 posts are as stupid as that one, no wonder it looks like when you bleed, you bleed red spek.

BURN!

Fraggle145
3/1/2007, 02:16 AM

PWNED.

Jack Bauer would be lucky to shake your hand.

Frozen Sooner
3/1/2007, 02:21 AM

Tulsa is a member of Conference USA, not the Mountain West. In fact, they won the C-USA title in 2005, while we were struggling to go 8-5. Make no mistake, we're playing this nationally-televised primetime game because of Tulsa's rise from the ashes of the Burns era. If we were merely cashing in on the Sooner "mystique", this would just be another regionally-televised FSN game. And that "bag of potatoes" finished the season in the Top 10, so it might be time to give them some respect.

You know, or you can just go ahead and continue sounding like a complete and total moron. Whichever works best for you, Chief.

Er, when we went 8-4 in 2005, didn't that include a two-score win over Tulsa?

OU-HSV
3/1/2007, 11:26 AM
[Please tell me it is not true. I have for my lifetime equated Thursday or Friday football games with "joke" schools.
Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Louisville, Rutgers, and so on??? You're right...all those teams are at the bottom of the Barrell each season ;)

bri
3/1/2007, 11:30 AM
Er, when we went 8-4 in 2005, didn't that include a two-score win over Tulsa?

Yes, but it was a come-from-behind two score win that AD single-handedly broke open in the fourth quarter. Plus, an interception return for a touchdown in the closing minutes that provided the "comfortable" margin. Garrett Mills was pwning our LBs and safeties all game long, and if he hadn't had started cramping up...who knows how the game turns out.

We love OU. But we don't have to belittle TU to do it, people. If you don't think TU has a legitimate shot of knocking us off in Skelly this year...well, it'll be the Fiesta Bowl all over again.

colleyvillesooner
3/1/2007, 11:32 AM
TCU taught me to never ovelook anyone again...

OU-HSV
3/1/2007, 11:33 AM
...We love OU. But we don't have to belittle TU to do it, people. If you don't think TU has a legitimate shot of knocking us off in Skelly this year...well, it'll be the Fiesta Bowl all over again.
I'm with ya on this. It will probably make for an interesting matchup. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in about the stadium and the parking.

CincySooner
3/1/2007, 11:45 AM
I dont think its that bad a move on Joe-C's part.

When you think about it from the perspective of a national audience, there is ZERO chance this game winds up as a national game on saturday afternoon/night. In this situation though, this is probably the only game airing nation-wide that friday night. Anytime OU gets on national TV is extremely valuable no matter who they play.

I think it was the right move and it was done in the right way by getting the go-ahead from the OSSAA, (which, BTW I dont realy think matters, since I think OU would have done it with or without their blessing) .

Of course I'm also biased because now I'll get to see the game :)

NormanPride
3/1/2007, 12:14 PM
This game is going to be awesome. A virtual home-game on Friday in my home city.

bri
3/1/2007, 02:21 PM
With pre-and-post game drinking at teh Buck. :D

colleyvillesooner
3/1/2007, 02:54 PM
where is said "teh buck"

i only go to Tulsa when we visit the future in laws, and the only bars we've been to are on peoria st maybe? Some pool hall, a bar that looks like it's in a house, crow something.

Frozen Sooner
3/1/2007, 02:54 PM
Yes, but it was a come-from-behind two score win that AD single-handedly broke open in the fourth quarter. Plus, an interception return for a touchdown in the closing minutes that provided the "comfortable" margin. Garrett Mills was pwning our LBs and safeties all game long, and if he hadn't had started cramping up...who knows how the game turns out.

We love OU. But we don't have to belittle TU to do it, people. If you don't think TU has a legitimate shot of knocking us off in Skelly this year...well, it'll be the Fiesta Bowl all over again.

I think that's the first time I've heard of a "come-from-behind two score win."

I'm just putting that C-USA championship in perspective.

Tulsa has had a well-coached team the last two years, no doubt. Their talent level has improved, partly due to OU and to a lesser extent OSU leaving some pretty talented Oklahomans on the board. No Kragthorpe means that they'll have a bit of a dropoff coaching-wise, though.

I got no problem with TU, though. I used to go to some pretty killer parties up there in the mid-90s. DEVO was always a blast.

bri
3/1/2007, 03:14 PM
where is said "teh buck"

i only go to Tulsa when we visit the future in laws, and the only bars we've been to are on peoria st maybe? Some pool hall, a bar that looks like it's in a house, crow something.

Harvard, just south of 11th Street. It's Tulsa's oldest bar, and it looks like it. The only rule for working there seems to be "have ginormous tits". It's truly teh win. :D

And that would be Crow Creek Tavern and Sharkey's of which you speak. As a rule, I loathe Brookside with the exceptions of The Brook (which is run by a former partner in Snuffer's) and Brookside By Day. Also, Suede Ultralounge is passable but only because the only time I ever go there, I'm with the sexy party girls. ;)

OSUAggie
3/1/2007, 03:36 PM
... Also, Suede Ultralounge is passable but only because the only time I ever go there, I'm with the sexy party girls. ;)

Even the party gals have a hard time making that place tolerable (for heteros other than themselves, that is).

Boomer.....
3/1/2007, 04:02 PM
Harvard, just south of 11th Street. It's Tulsa's oldest bar, and it looks like it. The only rule for working there seems to be "have ginormous tits". It's truly teh win. :D

And that would be Crow Creek Tavern and Sharkey's of which you speak. As a rule, I loathe Brookside with the exceptions of The Brook (which is run by a former partner in Snuffer's) and Brookside By Day. Also, Suede Ultralounge is passable but only because the only time I ever go there, I'm with the sexy party girls. ;)

I need to hit up Brookside more. I usually just stay in south Tulsa and go to Fox and Hounds which is only a miles from mi casa.

colleyvillesooner
3/1/2007, 04:38 PM

OU-HSV
3/1/2007, 05:09 PM
I need to hit up Brookside more. I usually just stay in south Tulsa and go to Fox and Hounds which is only a miles from mi casa.
McNelleys (sp?) in downtown Tulsa is one of my favorite bars, you should check that place out if you haven't yet. CJ Maloneys in B.A. is pretty good too (mainly cause I don't have to head all the way to downtown if I go there). CJ's has had some pretty good singers/bands playing there lately too. I went to the new Buffalo Wild Wings in B.A. recently and that place rocks too (and it's even closer to my place than CJ Maloneys.) Dirty's tavern in downtown is another fun place. Gray snail is fun. Geeze, didn't know I knew that many bars off the top of my head.

bri
3/1/2007, 05:21 PM
The Blue Dome District (1st through 3rd Streets, mostly along Elgin) is pretty solid all the way through. McNellie's and Arnie's are Tulsa two best Irish pubs, Dirty's is a good "red dirt" place (even though it's aggy), Templ is a cool club to chill at without the annoying underage kids shooting each other, and 818 is a nice little martini bar that has good music out on the patio.

OU-HSV
3/1/2007, 07:15 PM
And there's actually a "little dirtys sports bar" open (or opening soon) on the river in Jenks

bri
3/1/2007, 07:24 PM
Argh. F*ckin' aggy.

picasso
3/1/2007, 10:38 PM
With pre-and-post game drinking at teh Buck. :D
hey now my brotha. I shall be a resident of the neighborhood by then. we just might have to make plans.:D

kbsooner
3/1/2007, 11:20 PM
Please, PLEASE tell me they tore down the North end zone seating in Skelly. I went to the '02 game, and had seats about 1/2 way up. Not too bad until OU drove down, then we realized we could only see the goal line, and the front row seating block the view of the entire end zone! Who designed that???

WORST

STADIUM

EVER!

I think J. White threw an end zone pick down there, couldn't see any of it though, so that was good.

The hand painted lettering on the stadium was a nice touch, stencil anyone?

Another packed house!! (http://www.freemypeople.com/blog/images/TUfootball/skelly.jpg)

bri
3/1/2007, 11:30 PM
I'm sorry, you lost me after the second "wah".