PDA

View Full Version : Scholarship Question

SicEmBaylor
2/26/2007, 10:41 PM
This has to do with football, but I suppose it could apply to any sport.

Can a school revoke a player's scholarship if they don't meet the school's expectations for on-field performance? Let's say the player behaves himself, never misses a practice, works hard, but for whatever reason he just doesn't perform well (or at all) once he gets in games.

Can the school take away his scholarship?

soonerboomer93
2/26/2007, 11:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that's a big no

snp
2/26/2007, 11:59 PM
Could always fake an injury and put him on medical scholarship.

John Kochtoston
2/27/2007, 12:17 AM
This has to do with football, but I suppose it could apply to any sport.

Can a school revoke a player's scholarship if they don't meet the school's expectations for on-field performance? Let's say the player behaves himself, never misses a practice, works hard, but for whatever reason he just doesn't perform well (or at all) once he gets in games.

Can the school take away his scholarship?

Can they? Yes. Schollys renew year to year. It's not a good thing to make a habit of, though, as if a school develops a rep for doing that, they can lose face in recruiting.

Rhino
2/27/2007, 12:27 AM
The answer is yes.

jkm has stated a few times that athletic schollies are technically year-to-year, just like academic schollies. Now, having said that, you have to be sort of a jerk to take it away from a good, hard-working (yet, ineffective) player - unless of course you qualify him for a medical hardship.

Ty Willingham did something sneaky after he was named UW's coach (link (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/huskies/252307_urecruit16.html)). There were four fourth-year juniors that he deemed ineffective and had their status graduated from fourth-year juniors to fourth-year seniors. They were told a couple days before what all-of-the-sudden was their final game. It basically freed up those schollies for the next year and Ty made the statement to one of the kids that a fifth year was a privilege that had to be earned.

Kind of a dick move, but don't think the same doesn't go on almost everywhere. But, most coaches have a little more tact (see: medical hardship) and better timing than Willingham.

Big Red Ron
2/27/2007, 02:23 AM
Yes, happens ALL the time.