PDA

View Full Version : ***OFFICIAL OU vs. KU Game*** IN HD!

Pages : 1 [2]

Okieflyer
2/26/2007, 11:20 PM
i'm not into moral victories, but maybe the close games helps our NIT chances...

I agree!:(

SleestakSooner
2/26/2007, 11:20 PM
we had a chance but the inability to score consistently killed us in the end. I won't even talk about the officials tonight because they didn't screw up too badly... this time.

GrapevineSooner
2/26/2007, 11:21 PM
Not quite there, yet. Need more experience and more scorers.

Hopefully we can close out the season with a nice road upset up in Manhattan.

birddog
2/26/2007, 11:22 PM
damn.

good effort against a great team.

TopDawg
2/26/2007, 11:22 PM
I actually think they called an ok game. There are always calls that can go either way, but there wasn't the egregious attempts at taking over the game that we saw against UT.

and for what it's worth--if the refs are going to call a game close between OU and KU, it really favors OU. You don't want KU to get running; they'll run you out of your gym.

Yeah, abused was probably the wrong word. But it certainly felt more like they thought we were playing in Lawrence.

And I missed call that lead to the technical...I just heard them talking about it. Franklin said it was a missed call. What was it?

GrapevineSooner
2/26/2007, 11:24 PM
One of our guys got bowled over on a KU inbounds play.

The only three people in LNC who apparently didn't see it were the refs.

TopDawg
2/26/2007, 11:25 PM
Not quite there, yet. Need more experience and more scorers.

Hopefully we can close out the season with a nice road upset up in Manhattan.

I think KC was the one who pointed this out when it happened, but we had a great opportunity to really help ourselves halfway through the second half when we got a turnover and then tried an ill-conceived alley-oop. If we score, we cut it to 3. Inexperience there. Instead, KU goes down and scores, down by 7. Then we make a bad pass and turn it over on our next possession. In the span of less than 30 seconds, we go from almost within 3 to down by 9. All because of inexperience on the offensive end.

william_brasky
2/26/2007, 11:25 PM
totally different game in the 2nd half.

the big difference: Nate Carter going to the rack and drawing fouls.

very proud of this team.

TopDawg
2/26/2007, 11:26 PM
One of our guys got bowled over on a KU inbounds play.

The only three people in LNC who apparently didn't see it were the refs.

It's always nice when they miss the obvious ones. The 10 second one against Texas was about as egregious as they come. The clock tells you EVERYTHING you need to know on that one.

OKC-SLC
2/26/2007, 11:26 PM
Yeah, abused was probably the wrong word. But it certainly felt more like they thought we were playing in Lawrence.

And I missed call that lead to the technical...I just heard them talking about it. Franklin said it was a missed call. What was it?
one of their guys used an illegal screen on ours early in second half when trying to inbound the ball.

it was pretty sh*tty to miss. Capel didn't even throw a big fit, and he got a T.

OKC-SLC
2/26/2007, 11:28 PM
the big difference: Nate Carter going to the rack and drawing fouls.

Yahtzee.

william_brasky
2/26/2007, 11:28 PM
as much as Longar's improved, he's still like a deer in headlights alot of the time.

King Crimson
2/26/2007, 11:30 PM
some interesting comments from the seniors here post-game...."I want to thank Coach Capel for giving me the opportunity to play"....(Nate). hmmm.

did Walker go first? must have.

King Crimson
2/26/2007, 11:31 PM
as much as Longar's improved, he's still like a deer in headlights alot of the time.

yeah, tonight he looked alot like the Memphis game where they just pushed him around. he almost made a helluva tip late though.

OKC-SLC
2/26/2007, 11:35 PM
and by 'alot', you mean 'all'.

SleestakSooner
2/26/2007, 11:38 PM
It's always nice when they miss the obvious ones. The 10 second one against Texas was about as egregious as they come. The clock tells you EVERYTHING you need to know on that one.

The fact that it took them ten seconds or more to notice that Coach was out at mid court tells you not a single one of them was watching that end of the court! :rolleyes:

tommieharris91
2/26/2007, 11:39 PM
i'm not into moral victories, but maybe the close games helps our NIT chances...

Well, I don't think we can be .500 overall and get an NIT bid. We certainly can't be 14-15 and get a bid. By the way, we're 14-13 right now.

william_brasky
2/26/2007, 11:41 PM
and by 'alot', you mean 'all'.

don't you be putting words in my mouth slc. ;)

birddog
2/27/2007, 12:03 AM
actually, were 15-13.

King Crimson
2/27/2007, 12:17 AM
actually, were 15-13.

since Chaminade is not D-1, that win may not count towards post-season play....not sure how the NIT does it.

birddog
2/27/2007, 12:30 AM
yeah not sure how that works. just clarifying our overall record.

birddog
2/27/2007, 12:34 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2333513

the rules have changed a bit. ill try to find more.

John Kochtoston
2/27/2007, 12:36 AM
since Chaminade is not D-1, that win may not count towards post-season play....not sure how the NIT does it.

Seems that the NIT doesn't allow non D1 wins either.

From their website...
"Among the resources available to the committee are computer rankings, head-to-head results, chronological results, Division I results, non-conference results, home and away results, results in the last 10 games, polls and the coaches’ regional advisory committee’s rankings."

Also, Longwood is in the process of becoming D1, so I don't know how they count.

We need a win against K-State and at least one in the Big XII.

http://www.nit.org/about-nit/selection-procedures.html

EDIT: At least, the NIT doesn't consider non-D1 wins. The selection rules don't actually seem to say a team must be >/= .500 to get in, so it may not matter much. I'll see what else I can find.

LittleWingSooner
2/27/2007, 12:49 AM
I think we need to beat KSU to get a chance at a home game in the NIT.

John Kochtoston
2/27/2007, 12:54 AM

If NIT consideration is anything like NCAA consideration, I'd agree. Recently, teams haven't been able to do much to help/hurt their Big Dance chances in conference tourneys.

TopDawg
2/27/2007, 01:25 AM

You may be right...but (if we get into the NIT) we may've done just as much to help our 2006-NIT-home-game-cause back in 2003.

King Crimson
2/27/2007, 01:33 AM
i think we'd need to finish ahead of at least one of Mizzou, OSU, or Nebraska in the conference standings to have a shot. also, not helping our cause is our rpi has gone from 61 to like 106 in the last 3 weeks--considerably behind all 3 teams i mention above. I assume the NIT looks at that as well.

also 1-10 against top 50 rpi teams, and 3-13 against rpi top 100 teams.....man, looking at that, i can't say i'm optimistic.

tommieharris91
2/27/2007, 01:36 AM
I've heard Longwood is D-1, so we can count the win. I know the NCAA will factor Virginia's win over the Lancers (no lie, their mascot is the Lancers) into their overall record.

King Crimson
2/27/2007, 01:45 AM
Longwood counts here as D-1 (note difference b/ween Chaminade citation), and is ranked in the d-1 rpi.....306th, but still ranked. or possibly just rank.

http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2007/schedule/Oklahoma

Boomer.....
2/27/2007, 09:40 AM
Great games from Griffin and Carter tonight. They hustled and played with a lot of heart. Neil did some good things at times, but isn't shooting like he can and I can't figure out for the life of me why he can't make a FT (especially being a 90% FT shooter). Longar is playing horrible. He turns that ball over almost every time he touches it. Very frustrating! Maze had a pretty good game also.

If we could have made the easy lay-ups and would have played with a bit of heart in the first half, we would have won. Overall, nice to see this team play with such passion against a great team.

John Kochtoston
2/27/2007, 10:04 AM
I send an e-mail to Jerry Palmhttp://www.collegerpi.com last night, and, while his word is not the word of God, I'd take it as pretty solid.

His answers to my burning questions...
1) A team needs to be at least .500 to get in the NIT.
2) Non-D1 wins don't count.
3) Longwood is a D1 win.

As an aside, he believes that the NIT will offer OU a bid if we are eligible. However, we need one more win (we're 14-13 in the NIT's eyes) to become eligible.

King Crimson
2/27/2007, 10:25 AM
even though Jerry Palm is big time now, i used to read his site back when it was all free content in the late 90's.....and even though i don't subscribe anymore he's always answered my emails over the years. he practically INVENTED the whole "bracketology" genre of sports writing that cretins like Lunardi now get paid to do.

i hope he's right (and we can get another win). maybe the 8-9 game gets us a rematch with friggin ISU (in OKC).