PDA

View Full Version : BUSH FAILED BY HIS OWN PEOPLE

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/26/2007, 06:38 PM
Perle: Bush Failed by his Own People
Dave Eberhart, NewsMax.com
Monday, Feb. 26, 2007

Richard Perle tells NewsMax that key members of the Bush administration have failed the president – and Perle names names.

In a wide-ranging interview, the former assistant Secretary of Defense under President Reagan and chairman of the Defense Policy Board Advisory Committee from 2001 to 2003 under President Bush calls former Secretary of State Colin Powell a "disaster" and says current Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice "was in way over her head from the beginning."

Others fall within his sights: Al Franken, Nancy Pelosi, John Murtha, and George Tenet, among others.

Surprising words from the man critics of the White House have dubbed "the Prince of Darkness" – a leading neo-conservative who was one of the key proponents of the 2002 invasion to overthrow Saddam Hussein.

Speaking from his home in Chevy Chase, Md., Perle – the man who was credited with orchestrating the Reagan policies that led to the fall of the Soviet Union – is busy explaining his role in a less savory subject, the current situation in Iraq.

While Perle does see a silver lining and believes that our actions may have prevented greater evil, he worries that the situation is looking more and more like Vietnam, especially as that war was lost on the home front.

Perle will be featured in PBS's upcoming two-hour program "The Case for War: In Defense of Freedom."

It is one segment of a series called "America at a Crossroads." PBS says the series will explore the challenges confronting the world post-9/11, including the war on terrorism, the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, the experience of American troops, the struggle for balance within the Muslim world, and perspectives on America's role globally.

The "Crossroads" series will launch on Sunday, April 15, and will run on PBS through Friday, April 20, 9-11 p.m. (ET). Perle's "The Case for War" segment will air on April 17.

Despite the airtime devoted to Perle, PBS never seems to offer him the opportunity to look at the camera and clearly explain how some of the best and the brightest in the Bush administration got it wrong.

Still, there are some surprising turns. In a particularly poignant segment of "The Case for War," Perle talks about the looming threat of Iran, giving this surprising take – from someone reputedly one of the nation's foremost saber-rattlers:

"I don't think we need to send in the Marines, and it's not being contemplated."

According to PBS, its "America at a Crossroads" initiative includes an extensive public outreach program designed to create a national dialogue. The outreach program encompasses screenings and discussions in more than 20 cities with U.S. military personnel, leading policy experts and Islamic leaders; an in-depth online presence; and educational initiatives.

NewsMax: What do you find most frustrating about this slow agony of progress in Iraq?

Perle: I have watched the president from the beginning and my sense is that his instincts have been pretty good and his policy decisions – the ones that he himself has acted on – are pretty good. But he has an administration that not only does not implement his policies, they are often hostile to his policies. He has failed to gain control of his own administration.

NewsMax: Rather than a documentary defending the decision to go to war in Iraq, perhaps folks would better appreciate Richard Perle doing something along the lines of David Halberstam's Vietnam-era tome "The Best and The Brightest" – similarly discussing how we got where we are in Iraq with the best and brightest leading the way.

Perle: We just don't have the best and the brightest. I think Colin Powell was a disaster. He never liked the president's policies. He did almost nothing to get them implemented. Condi [former head of the National Security Council and now Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice] was in way over her head from the beginning, and the president gave much too much weight to her views. The administration was full of people even in the White House at the National Security Council who were hostile to the president's policies.

NewsMax: On the subject of your "America at a Crossroads" segment for PBS: In one of your filmed confrontations with protestors on the National Mall, you tell a woman, "I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm not the president." You're saying to her that you are not the architect of the war and you didn't make the decisions. But you were a powerhouse on the Defense Policy Board.

Perle: As a matter of fact, I was not at all happy with the conduct of the board. Now people can differ about what approach would have been more effective. I think we got ourselves, unfortunately, into an occupation [of Iraq] that we could have avoided. We could have avoided it by turning things over to the Iraqis more or less immediately, which is what I was arguing for.

NewsMax: Inherent in that view would be the need to maintain the Iraqi army, even though the officer corps may have been riddled with Baathists.

Perle: Yes. I think it was a mistake to disband the [Iraqi] army the way it was done. But the big mistake was not handing things over to the Iraqis immediately. If you are in a position of occupation and you can't get the electricity going, you're bound to inspire an insurgency. I don't think that insurgency was inevitable.

NewsMax: One of the things that PBS is advertising is that it is hoped this unique series, "America at a Crossroads," is going to provoke a national dialogue, and yet, ironically, our own United States Senate is gridlocked.

Perle: They are having a screaming match, not a dialogue.

NewsMax: How do you see it playing out on Capitol Hill?

Perle: The House and the Democratic leadership have decided to make Iraq a partisan political issue. They are using it to rally Democrats, and it seems to me that they have lost all sight of the national interest.

NewsMax: Some have styled what's going on as a looming constitutional disaster – a potential historic war between two branches of government.

Perle: Despite all of the earlier claims about wanting a bipartisan approach to these issues, everything that they [Democrats] are doing is to the contrary. What's sad is getting this nonbinding resolution and then moving with this basically deceptive [Rep. John] Murtha approach, which is to pretend that all they are doing is putting restrictions on funding in the best interest of the troops.

In fact, they are trying to make it impossible for the commander-in-chief to dispatch the troops.

I've been in Washington now since 1969. I can't recall a more hypocritical coordinated assault by one party than this one. Even in the worse days of the Nixon administration it never reached this.

NewsMax: How do you suspect this is all going to end?

Perle: I think that the Democrats have injected a note of such bitter partisanship that it is going to backfire.

NewsMax: In the 2008 elections?

Perle: Even before that. I think that most Americans are unhappy with the situation in Iraq, but they do not want to see a humiliating withdrawal, and they don't want to see a bitter partisan dispute when they realize that the country needs to pull together.

Nancy Pelosi is overplaying her hand. Jack Murtha has just gone around the bend. I don't understand him at all, and I think in the end the public, broadly speaking, will say, "Enough of this."

NewsMax: Now that Al Franken has declared for the U.S. Senate, do you find him a more serious guy?

Perle: He tells me that he is out of a job [host on Air America Radio]. He actually has a decent sense of humor, so he tries to be funny, but he was reasonably serious with me. I didn't think, however, that he had a lot to say of importance.

Franken was hung up on the fact that we didn't find stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction, and that whole thing gets a little tedious after a while.

The president didn't create [the intelligence organizations]. He made the mistake of keeping [former CIA chief George] Tenet in place, but that is another matter.

NewsMax: What about the U.S. intelligence efforts in the ramp-up to war in Iraq?

Perle: The intelligence that was available to [the president] after September 11 was that they were categorical in their belief that Saddam possessed weapons of mass destruction. There was no deception. There was no cherry-picking. There was no pressure on the analysts. That whole line is rubbish. I was seeing the intelligence at the time.

I was then chairman of the Defense Policy Board, and we had briefings and so I heard the CIA briefings and the Defense Intelligence Agency briefings, and they never left any room for doubt. The idea that that intelligence product was manipulated by the administration is just completely without foundation. But the Democrats have embraced it because it is how they hope to explain the fact that most of them voted for the resolution authorizing force against Saddam.

NewsMax: Throughout your program, you adamantly say you were for the regime change in Iraq. The regime change was a good thing...

Perle: Saddam is gone, and I think that is a good thing. He was a menace. It is very popular now to suggest that because we didn't find WMD, he wasn't the threat. What we didn't find in truth was stockpiles of WMDs. He certainly had the capacity to produce chemical and biological weapons again when he wanted to do so, and so I believe he was a threat, and I think we had the right to respond to that threat.

You can't operate on the basis of what you know later. You've got to operate on the basis of what you know then.

NewsMax: So, the fact is that while the ramp-up to the war was clumsy and less than a smooth scholarly enterprise, we got there and it was justified?

Perle: Yes, I believe it was justified, and I wish we had handled it a little bit differently, but … if we were having a debate now about how effectively we handled the post-Saddam situation, it would be a very different debate than the one that we are having.

NewsMax: Reportedly, 70 percent of the American public wants the boys to come home...

Perle: It depends on how you ask the question. Of course, we all want the boys to come home. If the question you put was "Do you think that we should withdraw even if it means that Iraq subsides into chaos and we will have been defeated and humiliated in Iraq?" you will get an entirely different answer.

I think polls on a matter like that are pretty useless.

NewsMax: How about the analogy between Iraq and the Vietnam experience?

Perle: I think that there are, unfortunately, elements in Iraq that are a lot more reminiscent of Vietnam than I would have wished – and more reminiscent than was true in early Iraq. I mean, what is beginning to look a little bit familiar is the withdrawal of support on the home front. I don't see troops who were in Iraq demanding that we pull out.

NewsMax: How about the recent intelligence that Muqtada al-Sadr and members of his army left Baghdad in advance of the troop surge and fled to Tehran, Iran, where he has family?

Perle: It's an indication that we may be able to turn this thing around. One of the mistakes of the administration was in believing that you could deal with Iraq in isolation without a successful strategy for Iran and Syria. What the Iranians are doing now, they have been doing all along, and the administration just hasn't been willing to act on it.

Jeopardude
2/26/2007, 07:14 PM
NewsMax will allow up to 50 words of any NewsMax.com article to be reprinted, as long as the following conditions are met:

Each brief:

1) Has a dateline of NEWSMAX.COM - as in the following example from an Inside Cover report:

NEWSMAX.COM -- The Washington based public interest law firm Judicial Watch isn't particularly thrilled with reports that Attorney General Janet Reno will tap former Missouri Sen. John Danforth to lead a new probe into the 1993 Waco massacre...

2) has a hyperlink to the original article from NewsMax.

:P

H8HOGS
2/26/2007, 07:20 PM
George W. Bush will go down as possibly the worst president ever. He used his personnel agenda to lead a failed war in the Middle East which has resulsted in over 5000 kids growing up without one of there parents.

The next time a president wants to start a losing war his kids should be the first at the front lines.

SoonerProphet
2/26/2007, 07:21 PM
Speaking from his home in Chevy Chase, Md., Perle – the man who was credited with orchestrating the Reagan policies that led to the fall of the Soviet Union – is busy explaining his role in a less savory subject, the current situation in Iraq.

That is funny sh*t right there.

Perle should never see his name or thoughts in ink again.

OklahomaTuba
2/26/2007, 07:23 PM
You really think we are losing????

Wow. What a dumbass.

H8HOGS
2/26/2007, 07:25 PM
You really think we are losing????

Wow. What a dumbass.

It is Vietnam all over again.. No winning this war.

OklahomaTuba
2/26/2007, 07:27 PM
That is funny sh*t right there.

Perle should never see his name or thoughts in ink again.

How come? Dude's been pretty spot on in everything I have read. The only thing I think he was wrong with is not advocating overwhelming force and his criticism of Colin Powell.

OklahomaTuba
2/26/2007, 07:29 PM

Please, explain how Iraq is anywhere near what Vietnam was.

3,000 is a lot less than 40,000.

Oh, and we are fighting two groups who declared war on us long before the Iraq war, AQ and Iran.

And never mind we actually have accomplished all but ONE of the goals we had in Iraq.

H8HOGS
2/26/2007, 07:33 PM
Please, explain how Iraq is anywhere near what Vietnam was.

3,000 is a lot less than 40,000.

Oh, and we are fighting two groups who declared war on us long before the Iraq war, AQ and Iran.

It is a battle we can't win because once again we have used force in a situation that we had no control over and little understanding of.

So does it really matter if only 3k soldiers have died so far? As opposed to 50k? If you are the family and the kid that won't see the father, husband, son whatever come home in a fight for nothing how do you see it?

We won't win. we won't change anything over there. I guess if we had cared Reagan wouldn't have funded Iraq in their fight against Iran..

OklahomaTuba
2/26/2007, 07:36 PM
We won't win. we won't change anything over there.

Its more like, you don't want us to win, out of your pure hatred for Bush.

Maybe you should take the Hate Bush blinders off for a moment and actually support your nation in war against terrorists who are killing innocent people every day in an effort to spark a civil war??

Or is your hatred of Bush and Republicans just to much for you to do that?

OklahomaTuba
2/26/2007, 07:38 PM
we won't change anything over there.
So I guess giving millions of people at chance to vote for their own government wasn't changing anything huh???

Your disgusting vile comments just cheapen what our soliders are doing and have done over their.

You are pathetic.

SoonerProphet
2/26/2007, 07:40 PM
How come? Dude's been pretty spot on in everything I have read. The only thing I think he was wrong with is not advocating overwhelming force and his criticism of Colin Powell.

Yeah, spot on...like Chalabi and the INC boys being greeted with flowers and candy. Good job Perle.

Glad to see Powell and Tenet have become the whipping posts for this clusterf*ck...the nimrods who started sure think they are in the right.

H8HOGS
2/26/2007, 07:43 PM
So I guess giving millions of people at chance to vote for their own government wasn't changing anything huh???

Your disgusting vile comments just cheapen what our soliders are doing and have done over their.

You are pathetic.

So I am disgusting for my believes but you are right? Is that what you are saying?

Do you honestly believe that anything will change there. What will happen is the minute we leave ever Muslim radical group in the world will pour people, ammo, and money into Iraq to assure the government is overthrown and anarchy follows.

I have all the respect in the world for our soldiers and that is why I say what I have said.

What I think is vile is our disregard for our soldiers lives for putting them in that situation..

H8HOGS
2/26/2007, 07:45 PM
Its more like, you don't want us to win, out of your pure hatred for Bush.

Maybe you should take the Hate Bush blinders off for a moment and actually support your nation in war against terrorists who are killing innocent people every day in an effort to spark a civil war??

Or is your hatred of Bush and Republicans just to much for you to do that?

Apparently 60% of Americans feel the same way which means a lot of his own R people feel the same way and see his agenda was a failed one.

olevetonahill
2/26/2007, 07:46 PM
You sir are a dumas !
Tuba If your gonna quote facts get em straight .
We lost over 58,000 there . NOT to even Mention the ONES that came HOME to a country that treated Us like shatand were so screwed up that they died from drunk drivin and other forms of suicide !Or the ones that Died from Agent Orange or other Causes .
Ok Olevet is OFF his soap box again

OklahomaTuba
2/26/2007, 07:47 PM
So I am disgusting for my believes but you are right? Is that what you are saying?
Well, if your beliefs had a fraction of truth to them, they may be less disgusting.

Intead, you are here peddeling the notion we are losing, which we are not.

Yes, I think that is disgusting, as you are basically lying.

What I think is vile is our disregard for our soldiers lives for putting them in that situation..

That situation?

You mean fighting groups like AQ??

You know, the ones that flew planes into the towers on 9/11???

You think fighting those bastards in a bad thing???

That says a lot about you!

Jeopardude
2/26/2007, 07:49 PM
Key Quote: “And a year from now, I’ll be very surprised if there is not some grand square in Baghdad that is named after President Bush. There is no doubt that, with the exception of a very small number of people close to a vicious regime, the people of Iraq have been liberated and they understand that they’ve been liberated. And it is getting easier every day for Iraqis to express that sense of liberation.” [Perle, 9/22/03]

Enough said.

OklahomaTuba
2/26/2007, 07:50 PM
Apparently 60% of Americans feel the same way which means a lot of his own R people feel the same way and see his agenda was a failed one.

60% think what? That we are loosing???

Which poll is that, the Al-Jazzera poll???

OklahomaTuba
2/26/2007, 07:52 PM
Enough said.

Hopefully, he will be right sooner rather than later.

OklahomaTuba
2/26/2007, 07:52 PM
You sir are a dumas !
Tuba If your gonna quote facts get em straight .
We lost over 58,000 there . NOT to even Mention the ONES that came HOME to a country that treated Us like shatand were so screwed up that they died from drunk drivin and other forms of suicide !Or the ones that Died from Agent Orange or other Causes .
Ok Olevet is OFF his soap box again

Sorry man, my mistake.

sitzpinkler
2/26/2007, 07:54 PM
Well, if your beliefs had a fraction of truth to them, they may be less disgusting.

That situation?

yeah, because we went in to Iraq to fight AQ :rolleyes:

OklahomaTuba
2/26/2007, 07:57 PM
yeah, because we went in to Iraq to fight AQ :rolleyes:

I never said we did.

Yet, there they are.

:rolleyes:

Guess we should retreat now huh????

H8HOGS
2/26/2007, 07:58 PM

That situation?

Simple question? Do you think when we leave Iraq that it will be a democratic country and that there won't be any terrorist groups there and they will be in bed with us?

if not then why are we there? You are still mad about the 3.2 beer aren't you..

OklahomaTuba
2/26/2007, 08:00 PM
Simple question? Do you think when we leave Iraq that it will be a democratic country and that there won't be any terrorist groups there and they will be in bed with us?

Depends,

Do we cut and run away from Iraq as you would have us do, or do we get to finish what we started and get the country stable??

Personally, I think retreating from AQ is a bad thing. Obviously the liberals do not.

sitzpinkler
2/26/2007, 08:11 PM
Depends,

Do we cut and run away from Iraq as you would have us do, or do we get to finish what we started and get the country stable??

Personally, I think retreating from AQ is a bad thing. Obviously the liberals do not.

I love this. You and your right-wing buddies on this board regularly spew nothing but hatred for pretty much anyone Middle-Eastern. I've seen arguments where you've lumped them all together with the terrorists. Ragheads, durka durkas, sand -------; some of the lovely names I've seen them referred to by the righties of board. Turn the country to glass, etc.

Yet I'm supposed to believe that you give a **** whether that country is stable or not?

Widescreen
2/26/2007, 09:32 PM
I'm not sure what the 60% you're referring to is. I'm a republican and disagree strongly with the President's handling of the Iraq war. But it's not because I think we should come home. It's because our people have not been allowed to kick a$$. This thing should've been over a long time ago but we're more concerned with the media and international opinion than we are of winning. Somehow Bush thinks we should be able to both win and keep the media and haters in the international community happy. You'd think that by now he'd understand that's impossible. But apparently not.

Chuck Bao
2/26/2007, 09:39 PM
Heh! The nutjob rightwingers are eating their own.

It's now down to the blame game. And, as they point fingers at each other, Bush is looking weaker and weaker.

Talk about lack of unity and failure to support the president.

Widescreen
2/26/2007, 09:46 PM
Heh! The nutjob rightwingers are eating their own.

Specifically, who are you referring to?

Chuck Bao
2/26/2007, 10:26 PM
Specifically, who are you referring to?

The Richard Perle article and his criticism of some Bush staff. When I wrote that, we were on page one.

2/27/2007, 01:20 AM
I'm not sure what the 60% you're referring to is. I'm a republican and disagree strongly with the President's handling of the Iraq war. But it's not because I think we should come home. It's because our people have not been allowed to kick a$$. This thing should've been over a long time ago but we're more concerned with the media and international opinion than we are of winning. Somehow Bush thinks we should be able to both win and keep the media and haters in the international community happy. You'd think that by now he'd understand that's impossible. But apparently not.He has always insisted on "making nice" with the members of my new party. Not fighting to win in Iraq is just one example of how he has gone out of his way to please his political opposition.

Widescreen
2/27/2007, 01:22 AM
The Richard Perle article and his criticism of some Bush staff. When I wrote that, we were on page one.
Fair enough.

OklahomaTuba
2/27/2007, 01:23 AM
I love this. You and your right-wing buddies on this board regularly spew nothing but hatred for pretty much anyone Middle-Eastern. I've seen arguments where you've lumped them all together with the terrorists. Ragheads, durka durkas, sand -------; some of the lovely names I've seen them referred to by the righties of board. Turn the country to glass, etc.

Yet I'm supposed to believe that you give a **** whether that country is stable or not?

I guess you will have to show me where I said I hated all middle-eastern people.

Cause I don't remember doing that, myself. :rolleyes:

And yes, I do want the country stable, so our Men and Women can come home.

JohnnyMack
2/27/2007, 02:40 PM
Sad really that nearly 6 years after 09/11 we still haven't figured out why they attacked us.

2/27/2007, 04:05 PM
Sad really that nearly 6 years after 09/11 I still haven't figured out why they attacked us, nor why I think it's important to know.. Sad for you.