PDA

View Full Version : With a heavy heart, AD shines at the Combine

LittleWingSooner
2/26/2007, 01:51 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6507140

With heavy heart, Peterson shines at combine

Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson lit up the Indianapolis turf on Sunday with a blazing 40-yard dash time in the 4.3s. It turns out Peterson ran with a heavy heart that did not seem to slow him down a bit.

FOXSports.com has learned that Peterson was told in the wee hours Sunday morning that his half-brother was gunned down and killed in a Texas homicide. Sources say he was shot multiple times. The sources also said Peterson was very close to his half-brother and took the news extremely hard. Details are still sketchy and when contacted officials at the Houston Police Department did not have any information available.

Despite such heart-breaking news, Peterson pulled his emotions together to have an impressive workout at the NFL's scouting combine. Not only did he run the 40s (4.38 in his first run) but Peterson participated in all the running back drills.

Although his head was probably elsewhere, the former Heisman hopeful had what scouts deemed a terrific workout, including a 38.5-inch vertical and 10-foot, 7-inch broad jump. Peterson spent much of the time before and after his workout on the phone with grieving family members and didn't get much sleep Sunday morning.

It's even more impressive when considering many if not the majority of top-5 projected picks opted out of running and/or working out of the annual Indy affair In years, preferring to save their showing for personal workout days. Not only did Peterson decide to pull the opposite of most of prospects, he did so with a major distraction yet still blew the door off his workout.

Peterson certainly would have had a viable excuse if he chose to take a pass but he honored his commitment to participate. Teams this week spent hours upon hours interviewing potential draft picks in 15-minute intervals with the hopes of getting to know a kid's makeup, all with the confines of one-quarter of an hour. The young running back did not let on to any of the teams he interviewed with today that anything was amiss. Instead, Peterson has shown his makeup by his actions.

Unfortunately, it has come at a very heavy price.

LittleWingSooner
2/26/2007, 01:53 AM
For the great back and good guy he is the guy has had some ****ty luck in his personal life. His brother was killed when he was young, his dad was sent to prison for most of his childhood, and now his half-brother is killed, and he already has a child. But he'll be a millionaire come April.

jccouger
2/26/2007, 01:58 AM
This is devastating...

Is this his younger brother, or a older brother?

LittleWingSooner
2/26/2007, 02:00 AM
His older brother died when he was young. I think he saw it happen. This is his younger brother. I don't know if he has any other brothers.

Frozen Sooner
2/26/2007, 02:05 AM
I know everyone's thoughts are with the Peterson/Jackson family right now.

AlbqSooner
2/26/2007, 07:25 AM
When he was around 9 his older brother was hit by a car and killed as he rode his bicycle. Adrian witnessed it.

OU-HSV
2/26/2007, 01:16 PM
Man that is horrible. My thoughts are w/him and his family. Props to him pulling through with a nice combine after hearing that kind of tragic news. We all knew this already, but what a competitor he is.

SoonerJack
2/26/2007, 01:20 PM
For the great back and good guy he is the guy has had some ****ty luck in his personal life. His brother was killed when he was young, his dad was sent to prison for most of his childhood, and now his half-brother is killed, and he already has a child. But he'll be a millionaire come April.

And we all know that money fixes everything.

Think before posting such idiocy, LittleWing.

Boomer.....
2/26/2007, 01:57 PM
Very sad.

Collier11
2/26/2007, 02:09 PM
Thats horrible, my thoughts and prayers are with him. I am slowly coming to the conclusion that the only way to curb all the unneccessary, sensless, and ruthless murders in this country is to go back to the days of public hangings or public firing squad executions, something like that cus the thought of going to jail certainly doesnt scare these scumbags anymore!!!

rainiersooner
2/26/2007, 04:12 PM

I didn't know being a father was a tragedy.

Thoughts and prayers out to AD and his family.

bringit
2/26/2007, 09:51 PM
And we all know that money fixes everything.

Think before posting such idiocy, LittleWing.

Pipe down Jack... LittleWing has a right to his opinions

OKC-SLC
2/26/2007, 10:01 PM
God damn, that kid has an incredible amount of strength.

Rogue
2/26/2007, 10:02 PM
For the great back and good guy he is the guy has had some ****ty luck in his personal life.

Yup.

goingoneight
2/26/2007, 10:06 PM
Naysayers and rivals can call AD many negative things, but they can't call him lucky to get to where he is today. He has survived and persevered through a tremendous amount of problems growing into the icon he is today. These things are never forgotten, but hopefully are healed with time. May he (half-brother) rest in peace.

OU-HSV
2/26/2007, 10:11 PM
God damn, that kid has an incredible amount of strength.
Word

picasso
2/26/2007, 10:51 PM
NFL Network just recapped his workout and spoke of how impressive it was and even moreso now that they know what happened.

go AD.

Hot Rod
2/27/2007, 12:46 PM
A good friend of mine works at the probation office where Nelson Peterson visits. He had come in today to talk about leaving the state to be with his family during this tragedy. My friend found out that his younger brother was only 20 years old and offered their condolences to his family during this awful tragedy in their lives.

Beef
2/27/2007, 03:04 PM
Thoughts and prayers with him and his family.

CrimsonChampion
2/27/2007, 05:04 PM
I hope AD goes on and has the best of success. That's one guy that I have nothing but pure respect for. His heart and passion for the game are as big as Oklahoma, and for him to deal with these tragedies the way he has.... Damn, I just don't know what I'd do if that kind of mess happened to me.

Anyone that can rise up and make the best like he has, and not use misfortunes as excuses in life are true men, and true Sooners.

olevetonahill
2/27/2007, 06:03 PM
Its a sad time when any one loses a family member . But moreso when Its one of ours .

soonerboy_odanorth
2/27/2007, 09:24 PM
I have to bop myself in the nougat for not knowing, but I wasn't aware that he was very close to his half-brother.... Actually, more to the point I didn't know he had a half brother. I know that's kind of a "how could you not know", but distance happens with fractured families. I gotta pay attention more to the important things in life I guess.

Sad to hear that this has happened (whether he was close to him or not), and just makes it all the more reprehensible that some of the scribes blah-blahed about AD being cold-hearted. The kid has to feel just about numb by now with all he's gone through. I feel for him...

KingDavid
2/27/2007, 10:57 PM
Any new details?

insuranceman_22
2/27/2007, 11:03 PM
For those New York media guys that think the Sooners are all rednecks and outlaws, as sad as this is, it may shine a little light on the quality of people we have at OU. Bless AD and family

goingoneight
2/27/2007, 11:19 PM
Unfortunately, it won't. But when Britney Spears shaves her head and starts harassing strangers out in public, she's "suffering and misguided." While AD is looked at as "selfish." I never understood why people show the lack of respect for journalism that they do. You see it everywhere. The first thing you learn when you're writing in grade school newsletters is not to be biased in any fashion. They teach you to be informative and fair all the way throughout getting your degree in college, and these people go straight to writing articles about "USC Dynasty" and "CHeating Oklahoma" (just using this as an example, both schools are under the same investigation for something they're not necessarily responsible for, one gets the glory, the other gets the story.

soonerloyal
3/1/2007, 11:10 AM
FWMOIW, perhaps the comment about AD being a father at such a young age was only to point out that it's another stressful thing for him to deal with. I doubt it was meant as a view that fatherhood is negative.

We parents adore our children. They are the brightest lights of our lives. But parenthood is without a doubt the hardest role you can ever fill. It surpasses even the task of being a good spouse.

I commend Adrian for taking all of his roles seriously and throwing himself into being the best man he can possibly be, no matter what he's facing. I'd wager that's what we all feel, right?

As for the press, they almost all are POS worthless bags. "If it smells, it sells; if it bleeds, it leads" is their mantra. I'd rather hear about AD perservering and our troops' magnificent overall character, but that isn't what they forcefeed us. Journalists suck.

OU-HSV
3/1/2007, 11:17 AM
FWMOIW, perhaps the comment about AD being a father at such a young age was only to point out that it's another stressful thing for him to deal with. I doubt it was meant as a view that fatherhood is negative.

We parents adore our children. They are the brightest lights of our lives. But parenthood is without a doubt the hardest role you can ever fill. It surpasses even the task of being a good spouse.

I commend Adrian for taking all of his roles seriously and throwing himself into being the best man he can possibly be, no matter what he's facing. I'd wager that's what we all feel, right?

As for the press, they almost all are POS worthless bags. "If it smells, it sells; if it bleeds, it leads" is their mantra. I'd rather hear about AD perservering and our troops' magnificent overall character, but that isn't what they forcefeed us. Journalists suck.
Very well said