PDA

View Full Version : **** you, Northwest Airlines!

GottaHavePride
2/24/2007, 09:31 PM
Ok, so I was supposed to go to Buffalo today to audition with the Buffalo Philharmonic tomorrow. I'll try to summarize how my day has gone:

I get to the airport with plenty of time, to find out that my flight to Detroit has been delayed an hour. To which I say "wtf? planes are taking off from here nonstop, what's the deal?"

Well, apparently there was freezing rain in Minneapolis. Oh, and Dallas was windy so they shut down DFW. Then a plane that was supposed to go from OKC to Minneapolis broke while it was sitting at the gate they were going to use for a flight to Memphis and then my flight to Detroit. so they pulled all the passengers off the plane to Minneapolis and put them on buses to Dallas. I'm sure this was really productive since DFW WAS SHUT DOWN.

Anyway, so apparently the weather was ****ty in Memphis, too, so the plane coming in from Memphis (that was supposed to turn around and go back to Memphis out of my gate) was late coming in. so the fine people at Northwest Airlines thought it would be a good idea to just leave the broken jet sitting at the gate.

So the jet I'm supposed to get on to go to Detroit arrives, and instead of pushing the broken jet out of the way so the gate can continue to function, they let the incoming plane sit out on the tarmac. For over an hour. While they let the broken jet sit at the gate, not being repaired.

So by the time someone pulls their head out of their *** and decides to move the broken jet out of the way so they can let all those people off the plane they've been stuck on for quite a while, it's about 5:45. My flight was supposed to leave at 4:40. By the time boarding starts at 6:00 I realized that (considering there was no way in hell we were getting airborne any earlier than 6:20) a 2 1/2 hour flight to Detroit means I would miss my connecting flight by at least half an hour. And that's the last flight to Buffalo of the day. And everything else - on every airline - is booked and ovversold until Monday morning. ****.

Now the good news: the lady at the counter managed to get me on a 5:50 am flight on Monday, putting me in Buffalo a little before noon. Except that's almost exactly 24 hours after my audition time. Luckily, PG managed to track down the orchestra's personel manager, who moved my audition time to 4:00 on Monday.

Gah. The only bright spot was talking to the incredibly hot ****ed-off chick that was trying to get to Memphis and had been delayed even longer than I had. ;)

StoopTroup
2/24/2007, 09:35 PM
It's a good thing they got rid of all those pesky union mechanics who were sucking the financial life out of their company. :D

proud gonzo
2/24/2007, 09:38 PM
so basically what he's trying to say is HIS SISTER IS TOTALLY AWESOME

:D

GottaHavePride
2/24/2007, 09:54 PM
Yes. That.

Soonerus
2/24/2007, 10:10 PM
so basically what he's trying to say is HIS SISTER IS TOTALLY AWESOME

:D

ahhh haaaa....

soonerhubs
2/24/2007, 10:15 PM
FYI United Airlines sucks as well.

soonerboomer93
2/24/2007, 10:29 PM
Gah. The only bright spot was talking to the incredibly hot ****ed-off chick that was trying to get to Memphis and had been delayed even longer than I had. ;)

did you do her in the bathroom???

(or atleast get her number??)

SoonerGirl06
2/24/2007, 10:33 PM

I'd like to add American to that list as well. The ticket agents were very rude and arrogant. They ****ed me off royally and it takes a lot to do that. The Flight Attendents were blah and they didn't even serve peanuts. :(

Southwest has provided the best flying experience by far.

OUinFLA
2/24/2007, 10:36 PM
the weather in Buffalo is really bad anyway, you should count your blessings.
can't you get a gig where the weather is better?

soonerboomer93
2/24/2007, 10:43 PM

I haven't had any problems flying United

Asiana is pretty nice though, and the attendants are very easy on the eyes

royalfan5
2/24/2007, 10:45 PM
Should have taken Amtrak, because you know they don't screw around.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
2/24/2007, 11:02 PM
Ok, so I was supposed to go to Buffalo today to audition with the Buffalo Philharmonic tomorrow. I'll try to summarize how my day has gone:

I get to the airport with plenty of time, to find out that my flight to Detroit has been delayed an hour. To which I say "wtf? planes are taking off from here nonstop, what's the deal?"

Well, apparently there was freezing rain in Minneapolis. Oh, and Dallas was windy so they shut down DFW. Then a plane that was supposed to go from OKC to Minneapolis broke while it was sitting at the gate they were going to use for a flight to Memphis and then my flight to Detroit. so they pulled all the passengers off the plane to Minneapolis and put them on buses to Dallas. I'm sure this was really productive since DFW WAS SHUT DOWN.

Anyway, so apparently the weather was ****ty in Memphis, too, so the plane coming in from Memphis (that was supposed to turn around and go back to Memphis out of my gate) was late coming in. so the fine people at Northwest Airlines thought it would be a good idea to just leave the broken jet sitting at the gate.

So the jet I'm supposed to get on to go to Detroit arrives, and instead of pushing the broken jet out of the way so the gate can continue to function, they let the incoming plane sit out on the tarmac. For over an hour. While they let the broken jet sit at the gate, not being repaired.

So by the time someone pulls their head out of their *** and decides to move the broken jet out of the way so they can let all those people off the plane they've been stuck on for quite a while, it's about 5:45. My flight was supposed to leave at 4:40. By the time boarding starts at 6:00 I realized that (considering there was no way in hell we were getting airborne any earlier than 6:20) a 2 1/2 hour flight to Detroit means I would miss my connecting flight by at least half an hour. And that's the last flight to Buffalo of the day. And everything else - on every airline - is booked and ovversold until Monday morning. ****.

Now the good news: the lady at the counter managed to get me on a 5:50 am flight on Monday, putting me in Buffalo a little before noon. Except that's almost exactly 24 hours after my audition time. Luckily, PG managed to track down the orchestra's personel manager, who moved my audition time to 4:00 on Monday.

Buffalo is really cool (no pun intended). My wife's family is from there and there is some really neat places to see and go to...and the food is amazing! If you want to know of any of the places, let me know! Good luck on the audition!!!

garland sooner
2/24/2007, 11:21 PM
i think southwest is badass. but that's just me.

yermom
2/24/2007, 11:29 PM
Should have taken Amtrak, because you know they don't screw around.

when 5 hour delays are considered normal, i can't quite agree ;)

royalfan5
2/24/2007, 11:31 PM
when 5 hour delays are considered normal, i can't quite agree ;)
But do they give a **** about wind and snow? I doubt it.

GottaHavePride
2/24/2007, 11:33 PM
the weather in Buffalo is really bad anyway, you should count your blessings.
can't you get a gig where the weather is better?
The Buffalo Philharmonic isn't Chicago, New York, or Boston, but it's probably one of the 20 biggest orchestra jobs in the country. And nothing else is open except a $6,000 per year part-time orchestra in Colorado.

And it's surprising how much climate isn't a factor in my considerations when evaluating a job. ;)

proud gonzo
2/24/2007, 11:33 PM
ahhh haaaa....oh man, a pseudo-snarky response--I totally wasn't expecting that!

GottaHavePride
2/24/2007, 11:36 PM
did you do her in the bathroom???

(or atleast get her number??)

Oh, and no. Big fat wedding ring on her left hand. Doesn't mean she wasn't hot, though.

NYSooner1355
2/25/2007, 12:02 AM
wonderful, I'm having anxiety already about flying out tomorrow and my flight to NY is Northwest, my flight back here is United

why did I log on and start reading?!?!

soonerboomer93
2/25/2007, 01:14 AM
Oh, and no. Big fat wedding ring on her left hand. Doesn't mean she wasn't hot, though.

all the better for you, that means no hassles :D

:pop:

leavingthezoo
2/25/2007, 01:49 AM
whoa! up until the end, i thought i might actually when this bet by default. :P

TheHumanAlphabet
2/25/2007, 10:38 AM
Flying in the north this time of year is problematic. Unfortunately, I doubt if there are many direct connects from the South. Hope you don't get stuck in the weather and good luck on the audition.

OTH, after my wife's experience, I wonder why in hell would anyone want to pursue a career in performance. That is just too damn cut throat for the return (IMO). You are constantly told you're no good (by losing multiple auditions), so you go back practice more and more and cycle back...Either, you get a jorb (may not pay well), you get a cumulative trauma disorder (from all the playing and practicing), or you get depressed and quit (from all the rejections)... Told my wife she should have been an engineer...She is better at math than she thinks, in fact, musicians make for good math skills.

fadada1
2/25/2007, 10:47 AM
buffalo philharmonic??? there was one???

as long as you're up there, go try out for the rochester philharmonic. much better!!!!

i used to take lessons up at eastman... back when i had talent. too bad i never realized it back then. oh well.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

nmsoonergirl
2/25/2007, 11:16 AM
Good luck! Or break a leg! Whatever you artsy fartsy types are saying these days.
Since your mad proofreading skills helped get me my job, I wish I could help you get this one. I'm tone deaf, though, I'm not sure there's anything I can do.:O

Edited to add: Okay, so I have JT Torres' Trombone Man CD playing while I clean the house in your honor. I THAT doesn't send "get the job" karma your way, I don't know what will...

GottaHavePride
2/25/2007, 01:59 PM
buffalo philharmonic??? there was one???

as long as you're up there, go try out for the rochester philharmonic. much better!!!!

i used to take lessons up at eastman... back when i had talent. too bad i never realized it back then. oh well.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Heh. Rochester's is good because half the faculty at Eastman plays in it. I don't think it pays as well as Buffalo, though. ;)

GottaHavePride
2/25/2007, 02:04 PM
OTH, after my wife's experience, I wonder why in hell would anyone want to pursue a career in performance. That is just too damn cut throat for the return (IMO). You are constantly told you're no good (by losing multiple auditions), so you go back practice more and more and cycle back...Either, you get a jorb (may not pay well), you get a cumulative trauma disorder (from all the playing and practicing), or you get depressed and quit (from all the rejections)... Told my wife she should have been an engineer...She is better at math than she thinks, in fact, musicians make for good math skills.

Yeah, I almost had a math degree, too.

The thing about performing for me is that I really enjoy it. And I know I'm good enough to keep up with damn near anyone out there - it's just a matter of finding a place that wants my sound, which tends to be a bit more aggressive than is "in style" in the orchestral world right now. That's why my backup plan is to move west coast somewhere and go commercial. ;)

fadada1
2/25/2007, 02:09 PM
Heh. Rochester's is good because half the faculty at Eastman plays in it. I don't think it pays as well as Buffalo, though. ;)
but rochester is in desperate need of a second-seat triangle player. sure, the pay might not be as good, but the groupies are freaking hawt!!!!

GottaHavePride
2/25/2007, 02:15 PM
heh.

PrideTrombone
2/25/2007, 02:18 PM

The thing about performing for me is that I really enjoy it. And I know I'm good enough to keep up with damn near anyone out there - it's just a matter of finding a place that wants my sound, which tends to be a bit more aggressive than is "in style" in the orchestral world right now. That's why my backup plan is to move west coast somewhere and go commercial. ;)

Sellout. ;)

GottaHavePride
2/25/2007, 02:24 PM
Selling out is sweet, because when you sell out you get lots and lots of money. And that means I don't have to hang out with a bunch of poor-*** losers like you guys. Screw you guys, I'm goin' home.

SoonerStormchaser
2/25/2007, 02:24 PM
Northwest sucks ***! I'm surprised they're not in Chapter 7 yet. Their fares suck, their choice of hubs sucks even more...and their lack of IFE and customer service have sucked even harder.

My top 3 airlines that I don't fly unless I have to (based upon lots of personal bad experiences with them):

1. jetBlue
2. Northwest
3. United

My personal top 3 airlines I like to fly on:
1. Southwest
2. Delta
3. Continental

Scott D
2/25/2007, 02:44 PM
Northwest sucks ***! I'm surprised they're not in Chapter 7 yet. Their fares suck, their choice of hubs sucks even more...and their lack of IFE and customer service have sucked even harder.

I'm going to assume you mean Chapter 11, which they've been in since Sept. of 2005. Not long after is when the strikes began first by the mechanics union, then by the flight attendants union followed by the pilots union. The primary hubs matter is more based upon it's beginnings as a regional transport service.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/25/2007, 05:24 PM

The Mrs. always wonders why people quit good gigs (TV show, band, etc.) becuase it was so hard to get there then they have "artistic differences" with the organization. She always said if she had gotten the break, she would have milked it. GHP, I admire people like you and my wife. Seeking an outlet for your art and continuing on when difficult. I never had it that tough in Engineering and I knew enough to realize I enjoy to play an instrument - badly, but as a hobby. I did more with less skill than most people, but waaay back then playing a Tuba/Sousa didn't require much more than to have lungs, honk and tote the horn around...;)

SoonerStormchaser
2/25/2007, 05:37 PM
I'm going to assume you mean Chapter 11, which they've been in since Sept. of 2005. Not long after is when the strikes began first by the mechanics union, then by the flight attendants union followed by the pilots union. The primary hubs matter is more based upon it's beginnings as a regional transport service.

Nope. I meant Chapter 7.

Chapter 11 is simply reorganization. Chapter 7 means you've gone buh bye and are liquidating.

Scott D
2/25/2007, 06:54 PM
they're too big for Chapter 7. That's generally left for the smaller commuter airlines, as a Top 5 airline in the US, they're going to get some protection from that status.

NYSooner1355
2/25/2007, 08:20 PM
If anyone gives a flying **** (no pun intended) I made it here alright, after multiple delays (on the plane in Minneapolis primarily) - now that I'm here in NY - they are expected to get a decent snow storm tonight...and my wife tells me it was in the 60's back in OK...grrr...

I just want to be back home with my family...

hope your flight out tomorrow is smoother than mine was - and good luck with the audition!

GottaHavePride
2/25/2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks, guys.

SoonerStormchaser
2/26/2007, 01:27 PM
Top 5 eh? Not going into Chapter 7?

That didn't stop Braniff, Pan Am or Eastern!

Scott D
2/26/2007, 01:36 PM
Top 5 eh? Not going into Chapter 7?

That didn't stop Braniff, Pan Am or Eastern!

Pan Am and Eastern were absorbed in mergers because of marketplace weaknesses that resulted in them having to go Chapter 7. What applied in the 80s doesn't necessarily apply today. It's more likely now that another major airline would buy them out before they'd reach Chapter 7 status. Plus the major airlines have enough pull via lobbyists to not fall to that degree. Smaller ones like JetBlue, Spirit, etc... would have much more trouble avoiding it.

soonerbrat
2/26/2007, 01:39 PM
USAirways is not so great either..I flew back from Vegas with them..the plane i was supposed to board was over the weight limit so they had to ask a few people to stay in phoenix...when 5 people make the difference between being over the weight limit and under...heck yes i'm taking a different flight!

and..my friends were on a charter on their way home. Apparently there was bad weather in OKC so they landed in Tulsa. They sat in the plane for a while, then the rest of the flight was canceled. The passengers were all left in Tulsa to fend for themselves and find their own way back to OKC.

Scott D
2/26/2007, 01:45 PM
yeah USAir/America West have been having a lot of problems lately. a DJ from up here went out to Vegas recently, and there were issues with his return flight which resulted in it sitting at the gate/on the tarmac for over 4 hours before the crew took it back to the gate to sit and wait on a new crew because they were in overtime and couldn't fly. There were major issues back at the gate area because people wanted off for a different flight rather than obviously be delayed for more hours and the airline gave them a hassle about their luggage and another flight.

SoonerStormchaser
2/26/2007, 02:47 PM
If America West hadn't bought US Airways, US Airways wouldn't be here today.

Unfortunately, America West is about to kill 2 airlines for the price of 1. Just give it time.

soonerbrat
2/26/2007, 03:03 PM
they gave me a free round-trip flight anywhere in the lower 48...otherwise i'd never fly with them again.

Mjcpr
2/26/2007, 03:05 PM
they gave me a free round-trip flight anywhere in the lower 48...otherwise i'd never fly with them again.

So anywhere but Alaska or Maine?

I'd pick Hawaii.

C&CDean
2/26/2007, 03:05 PM
Southwest has provided the best flying experience by far.

The only people who say this are people who don't fly a lot.

Ike
2/26/2007, 03:45 PM
A friend of mine had this to say about northwest airlines in his blog today:

Northwest Airlines: Give us your money. We'll give you the world...eventually.

SoonerStormchaser
2/26/2007, 04:14 PM
Actually Dean, I beg to differ...

Being that I live in Norman, but take weekly business trips to Randolph (Sunday night-Friday night), I've racked up a lot of miles between here and there...all of them (save two trips on Continental) on Southwest.

Other than the fact they constantly delay my DAL-SAT flight every fricken Sunday evening, I've had nothing but positive experiences...enough to keep coming back and earn 12 r/t tickets from them the past four years.

C&CDean
2/26/2007, 04:20 PM
Actually Dean, I beg to differ...

Being that I live in Norman, but take weekly business trips to Randolph (Sunday night-Friday night), I've racked up a lot of miles between here and there...all of them (save two trips on Continental) on Southwest.

Other than the fact they constantly delay my DAL-SAT flight every fricken Sunday evening, I've had nothing but positive experiences...enough to keep coming back and earn 12 r/t tickets from them the past four years.

Well, sir, you can beg all you want to. And you'd still be wrong. You see, you just happen to have to travel to a place where Southwest is convenient. Hopping back and forth between OKC and San Antonio is pretty much a bus trip. Which is what SWA is. Yes, they do have the friendliest flight attendants/counter people. That I will concede.

I fly my kids on SWA a lot - but out of maybe 50 flights in the past 6-7 years, they've NEVER come into OKC on time. I've personally flown them to KC and Dallas a few times, and they did OK, but if your flight is scheduled later in the day, you're pretty much ****ed on SWA. It's because of their routes.

When you travel like I do (different cities, longer distances, multiple connections) you get where you really appreciate 1st-class/Admirals Club/priviledges. Getting a free trip after 12-segments stopped being attractive to me several years ago. The last thing I wanna do when I have some free time is get on a ****ing airplane.

NYSooner1355
2/26/2007, 05:39 PM
Well, sir, you can beg all you want to. And you'd still be wrong. You see, you just happen to have to travel to a place where Southwest is convenient. Hopping back and forth between OKC and San Antonio is pretty much a bus trip. Which is what SWA is. Yes, they do have the friendliest flight attendants/counter people. That I will concede.

I fly my kids on SWA a lot - but out of maybe 50 flights in the past 6-7 years, they've NEVER come into OKC on time. I've personally flown them to KC and Dallas a few times, and they did OK, but if your flight is scheduled later in the day, you're pretty much ****ed on SWA. It's because of their routes.

When you travel like I do (different cities, longer distances, multiple connections) you get where you really appreciate 1st-class/Admirals Club/priviledges. Getting a free trip after 12-segments stopped being attractive to me several years ago. The last thing I wanna do when I have some free time is get on a ****ing airplane.

since not all of us have the experience as the great deano - I'll say I've had good experiences everytime I've flown SWA...granted, I don't fly for business...but my flights have been fairly "long" ones...Islip to OKC and vice-versa - usually always with three stops and one layover in Midway or BWI...

and even with that I would have taken that over sitting in the terminal waiting for NW to unload (baggage and passengers) a parked plane to another plane tugged in behind it...then load us onto the plane (that is already 30 minutes late TAKING OFF) then wait another 30 minutes just to taxi...then get into Minneapolis with about 5 minutes to spare to make my connecting flight - then sit on that plane for over an hour and a half waiting to take off...then have to fly in LaGuardia - and deal with that mess (which fortunately wasn't that bad yesterday) - I'll take Southwest any day over that mess

soonerboomer93
2/26/2007, 06:49 PM

I gotta go with Dean on this. I don't fly but every 3 months, but it's a 24+ hour travel time for me and the trips are 10 days apart. If not for Business Class/1st class, premium lounges, the trips would be a lot worse then they already are.