PDA

View Full Version : Piering a house knowledgeable type folks

StoopTroup
2/24/2007, 09:24 PM
Just thought I'd run this by any of your who might know a little about situations like mine.

We have a "stick-built" house which was constructed in the late 50's.

We bought it in 1994. We had a structural check done before the sale and everything was AOK.

We now are experiencing some doors that won't close and some cracks in the walls around the windows and doors.

I went under the house awhile back and the piers don't have anything between the concrete and the main trusses. I know they are in need of having something there. Anyway...a neighbor sold his house last year and they had to have a bunch of new piers put in to pass the new inspections that are now required.

It's my understanding that the folks who used to do inspections were basically collecting a fee and really not giving you a clean bill of health for the house. Now it's my understanding that you have to be more reputable than in the past.

My question...

Would it be wise to have one of these reputable folks do an inspection prior to having someone who does leveling come out to give us a bid on leveling?

I hate getting hosed on this type stuff but we may want to sell our Home in the next couple of years as we have outgrown our surroundings.

Any advice would be helpful...

TIA

ST

OUHOMER
2/24/2007, 09:30 PM
than you end up paying inspectors $300.00 bucks to tell you to call the leveling guys.

OUAndy1807
2/24/2007, 09:42 PM
I would call a few real estate agents and get the name of a reputable home inspector. call and tell him the situation and see if he'll come check it for a lower fee than usual, since he won't be having to check the systems, roof, etc... then listen to him

only having the leveling guys look at it is putting a lot of trust in a person who stands to benefit greatly from not being completely honest with you and telling you that more work is needed than really is.

StoopTroup
2/24/2007, 10:08 PM
I would call a few real estate agents and get the name of a reputable home inspector. call and tell him the situation and see if he'll come check it for a lower fee than usual, since he won't be having to check the systems, roof, etc... then listen to him

only having the leveling guys look at it is putting a lot of trust in a person who stands to benefit greatly from not being completely honest with you and telling you that more work is needed than really is.
That was what I was implying.

I just figured it might be a better way to go.

Just thought I'd see if anyone else might have any better ideas.

Thanks.

OUHOMER
2/24/2007, 10:30 PM
My thinkng is, You know you got a problem, I say get 3 companys to bid the job. Take the one you feel more comfortable about and do it. Now if you did not know you had a problem, than i would get it inspected first

StoopTroup
2/25/2007, 05:00 PM
Both good ideas.

THANKS!

ST