PDA

View Full Version : I got stood up

Pages : 1 [2]

SicEmBaylor
3/1/2007, 10:27 AM
Let me state that another way,
The Federal government doesn't exist to dole out goodies to you or anyone else (like a free or partially paid for education)like it's Halloween night (although the fact that a lot of people think it does is pretty damned scary).

frankensooner
3/1/2007, 10:28 AM
The biggest conservative I know takes reduced lunches for his kids and since he qualifies for that program, he gets the buck-forty-five phone service and he got hud grants to re-roof his home. For the love of pete, practice what you preach!!! ;)

Ike
3/1/2007, 03:10 PM
Well, now you see Ike there is your problem.
I'm willing to bet nearly everyone here and nearly every registered Republican in the nation has benefited in some shape, form, or fashion from a Federal program.

If all of those people voted based on their own personal interest in seizing a piece of the pie for themselves then there'd never be any justification for ever voting for anyone who wants to impose fiscal responsibility or reduce the size of government.

I have never and will never vote for a candidate just to make sure I can still freely dip my hand into the cookie jar of public funding. My own self-interest in getting money from the government that was seized from actual working Americans sure as **** doesn't rank higher than the need to reduce most (if not all) of those programs for the much greater good of fiscal responsibility and limited government.

And yes...I have benefited from Federal money in my education.

Thats fine. But for me, the self interest in education is far greater than just the money I got from it. You see, I believe that it is greatly in my self interest, not to mention the national interest, to be a part of an educated citizenry. Yeah, I like government financial responsibility, but IMHO, they have a lot of bigger places that they can work on that before they try to start cutting education funding. And in fact, I believe that it is MORE responsible of the government to try to provide for an educated citizenry than it is for them to save that money.

Ike
3/1/2007, 03:14 PM
To put it another way, smart people are born all the time, but if we don't educate as many of them as possible and as well as possible, they spend all their time re-inventing the wheel, and not a lot of time actually making progress that the entire nation benefits from.

yermom
3/1/2007, 03:16 PM
it's not like people that got an education on the government's dime are nearly as likely to be sucking on the govt. teat either

SicEmBaylor
3/1/2007, 07:10 PM
And in fact, I believe that it is MORE responsible of the government to try to provide for an educated citizenry than it is for them to save that money.

Ideally, they wouldn't be saving that money. They wouldn't have it in the first place. You'd still have it jingling around in your pocket making it easier for you to pay for your own education.

royalfan5
3/1/2007, 07:13 PM
Ideally, they wouldn't be saving that money. They wouldn't have it in the first place. You'd still have it jingling around in your pocket making it easier for you to pay for your own education.
And where has that strategy ever worked for the benefit of a nation?

Ike
3/1/2007, 07:19 PM

that would be true for people that are well off. For people living hand to mouth, the story would be more difficult, if not impossible.

It only serves to make higher education the domain of the weathy and well off...not necessarily the domain of the best and brightest. In my opinion, to do such a thing would be the final nail in the coffin of the American Dream.

SicEmBaylor
3/1/2007, 07:29 PM
that would be true for people that are well off. For people living hand to mouth, the story would be more difficult, if not impossible.

It only serves to make higher education the domain of the weathy and well off...not necessarily the domain of the best and brightest. In my opinion, to do such a thing would be the final nail in the coffin of the American Dream.

Are you telling me nobody lived the American dream until the Federal government started offering financial aid for higher education? I'm not sure when the first example of Federal financial aid was but FASFA didn't roll around until the mid-1960's (I forget the exact year).

And I don't even have a problem with government financial aid, but it's an appropriate function of your state government not the Federal government.

SicEmBaylor
3/1/2007, 07:31 PM
And where has that strategy ever worked for the benefit of a nation?

Well, I imagine Royal that the government could seize even larger portions of personal incomes in order to better spend it for the "benefit of our nation." I can't imagine who could possibly spend it better.

Scott D
3/1/2007, 07:33 PM

yeah....I can see a lot of 3rd graders walking around with thousands of dollars to pay for their own education.

SicEmBaylor
3/1/2007, 07:35 PM
yeah....I can see a lot of 3rd graders walking around with thousands of dollars to pay for their own education.

I think we're referring to higher education not pre-k.

royalfan5
3/1/2007, 07:35 PM
Well, I imagine Royal that the government could seize even larger portions of personal incomes in order to better spend it for the "benefit of our nation." I can't imagine who could possibly spend it better.
So you are saying that it hasn't worked anywhere before to develop the human capital of nation. Rhetoric won't harness cold fusion.

SicEmBaylor
3/1/2007, 07:36 PM
So you are saying that it hasn't worked anywhere before to develop the human capital of nation. Rhetoric won't harness cold fusion.

No, I didn't say we haven't benefited.

royalfan5
3/1/2007, 07:38 PM
No, I didn't say we haven't benefited.
So you hate America and want us to fail. Got it.

SicEmBaylor
3/1/2007, 07:43 PM
So Ike,
This is off subject, after facebooking you, I realized you're much younger than I imagined. And you have a lovely wife!

Ike
3/1/2007, 07:45 PM
Are you telling me nobody lived the American dream until the Federal government started offering financial aid for higher education? I'm not sure when the first example of Federal financial aid was but FASFA didn't roll around until the mid-1960's (I forget the exact year).

And I don't even have a problem with government financial aid, but it's an appropriate function of your state government not the Federal government.

Today's world is different. An education is not required for everyone, but with global competition the way it is, we'll run the very real risk of falling devastatingly behind in just about every category if the masses are not educated, or at the very least have access to an education.

In fact, I would be willing to wager that in an alternative universe where FAFSA and the GI Bill did not come into effect, we would either still be in the cold war, or would have lost it. We won it in large part because we had the luxury of being able to throw money at a whole lot of smart people to escalate an arms race that the other side couldn't compete with. Without education, we may still have had all that money, but the number of smart people we could have thrown it at and gotten results from would have been severly reduced.

And if you think that doesn't matter, you are fooling yourself. Those ruskie engineers were some MacGuyverin mofos. They could make MiGs from paperclips and candy wrappers (and often had to).

Mjcpr
3/1/2007, 07:46 PM
So Ike,
This is off subject, after facebooking you, I realized you're much younger than I imagined. And you have a lovely wife!

All true, but he's boring as hell to stalk so give it up.

Belee me.

Ike
3/1/2007, 07:48 PM
So Ike,

Thanks. I sure don't feel all that young.

sanantoniosooner
3/1/2007, 07:49 PM
So Ike,
This is off subject, after facebooking you,.............
Is this related to teabagging?

Ike
3/1/2007, 07:49 PM
Rhetoric won't harness cold fusion.

To be fair, it's highly likely that nothing will harness cold fusion.

soonerboomer93
3/1/2007, 07:50 PM
or is it a pearl necklace that went high?

SicEmBaylor
3/1/2007, 07:52 PM
Add me and you'll see. ;)

royalfan5
3/1/2007, 07:56 PM
To be fair, it's highly likely that nothing will harness cold fusion.
Yeah but science has a better chance. I'd settle for an orgasmorator though.

soonerboomer93
3/1/2007, 08:01 PM
i just threw up a bit in my mouth

Harry Beanbag
3/1/2007, 10:11 PM
Is this related to teabagging?

How would Sicem know the answer to that question? ;)

sanantoniosooner
3/1/2007, 10:14 PM
How would Sicem know the answer to that question? ;)
I get the impression that Sic'em has been teabagged many times.

yermom
1/31/2016, 09:30 AM
Lots of people have been asking about this one. Lots of old names here too.

I have only read the beginning and end of this thread so far. Can already tell it's a classic :D

Turd_Ferguson
1/31/2016, 11:35 AM
Post 73 on page 4 is where it starts. "It was overcast"...Still lmao!

SoonerStormchaser
1/31/2016, 11:41 AM
Advice:

There will come a point in your life when politics are more important than poon. On that day, they will lay your cold, dead corpse into the ground. And the way you're going, you're gonna be a poonless dead guy. How sad is that?

Given what has just happened in the past week, this post is both funny and tragic.

Soonerjeepman
1/31/2016, 12:46 PM
wow...some names from the past...9 years ago. Crazy. Wonder where some of these folks are...

Thinking of changing location my career, after 26 years in the same place. Makes ya think about time...how fast things go..where people go.

I know we all have our differences, but it's weird, ya almost can picture folks and their lives with all this talk.

Whether I agree with a damn thing "you" say...I do hope everyone has great lives...

Sic passed on way too soon...live everyday like it's your last!