PDA

View Full Version : Seen any good "Documentaries" lately?

KC//CRIMSON
2/23/2007, 11:50 PM
Netflix to do list: Documentaries:cool:

DiG - Documentarian Ondi Timoner spent seven years chronicling (and shot 1,500 hours of footage of) the rise of two rival musicians -- Anton Newcombe of the Brian Jonestown Massacre and Courtney Taylor of the Dandy Warhols, both of whom were intent on carving out their own piece of the highly volatile and unpredictable music business. Follow the two wanna-bes through their loves, obsessions, arrests, death threats and (relative) success!

Off The Charts - The Song-Poem Story - A fascinating documentary in the style of Errol Morris, Off the Charts chronicles the fearless types who, via advertisements in the backs of magazines, send heartfelt poems (and a check for $295) to be made into hit songs -- hopefully. What few of them realize is that of the estimated 200,000 songs that have been concocted by this mail-order method, not one has ever been a hit.

Jesus Camp - This riveting Oscar-nominated documentary offers an unfiltered look at a revivalist subculture where devout Christian youngsters are being primed to deliver the fundamentalist community's religious and political messages. Building an evangelical army of tomorrow, the Kids on Fire summer camp in Devil's Lake, N.D., is dedicated to deepening the preteens' spirituality and sowing the seeds of political activism as they're exhorted to "take back America for Christ."

Harlan County, U.S.A - Director Barbara Kopple's film about the 1973 coal miners' strike in Harlan County, Ky., won a Best Documentary Oscar and was selected for the National Film Registry. Highlighting the struggles of families living in shacks with no indoor plumbing and enduring hazardous working conditions, the film details the conflict between the Eastover Mining Co. and the laborers determined to join the United Mine Workers of America.

Tibet: Cry Of The Snow Lion - Ten years in the making, this feature-length documentary was filmed during nine remarkable journeys throughout Tibet, India and Nepal. Taking viewers to the long-forbidden "rooftop of the world" with an unprecedented richness of imagery, the film powerfully chronicles the dark secrets of Tibet's recent past through interviews, personal stories and archival images. Martin Sheen narrates; Susan Sarandon and Ed Harris provide voice-overs.

The Devil and Daniel Johnston - (REALLY want to see this one.:cool:) - In his second film, former commercial director Jeff Feuerzeig tackles the documentary format, introducing the world to Daniel Johnston -- a reclusive musical genius now in the throes of manic depression. Blending up-to-date footage with home movies, archival material and rare audio, Feuerzeig creates a dizzying -- and heartbreaking -- portrait of a man whose inner demons are taking over, one delusion at a time.

Baraka - The relationship between humans and their environment is the subject of this mesmerizing visual study from Ron Fricke, the cinematographer and editor of Koyaanisqatsi. The images -- which Fricke gathered from 24 countries -- range from the daily devotions of Tibetan monks and whirling dervishes to a cigarette factory and time-lapse views of the Hong Kong skyline. Diverse world music accompanies the visuals.

Genghis Blues - A blind San Francisco blues singer's journey to becoming a master of Tuvan throat singing is the subject of Roko and Adrian Belic's Oscar-nominated documentary. Paul Pena became fascinated with the Tuvan art form after hearing it on a Russian radio broadcast; he then met the Mongolian masters on a U.S. tour. The Tuvans were so impressed with Pena that they invited him to Tuva's annual singing competition; his adventures there form the heart of Genghis Blues.

Murderball - Rugby-playing quadriplegics compete for the Paralympic gold medal in this documentary about an amazing sport and the strong-willed athletes who play full-contact rugby using specially designed wheelchairs. The film follows the U.S. Quad Rugby Team as they compete in the 2002 World Championships and the 2004 Paralympic Games in Athens. Murderball won the 2005 Audience Award at the Sundance Film Festival.

F**k - Steve Anderson explores the F word in this provocative documentary, which delves into the expletive's history, taboo and power, and includes interviews with everyone from Pat Boone to Ice-T. Scholars trace the word's origin and evolution, and news commentators, politicians, comedians and others weigh in on issues such as free speech. Along with Bill Plympton's animations, the film features Kevin Smith, Sam Donaldson, Lenny Bruce and many others.

King Crimson
2/24/2007, 12:23 AM
cocaine cowboys is pretty good.

Rhino
2/24/2007, 12:26 AM
I've wanted to see Murderball for awhile now. I hear The Devil and Daniel Johnston and good too.

If you haven't seen it, Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room is a must.

KC//CRIMSON
2/24/2007, 12:26 AM
cocaine cowboys is pretty good.

I read the synopsis on that the other day. Sounded good and Scarfacey.

OUAndy1807
2/24/2007, 09:22 AM
Devil and Daniel Johnston is good
Festival Express is good
GG Allin: Hated is interesting

KC//CRIMSON
2/24/2007, 10:38 AM
Devil and Daniel Johnston is good
Festival Express is good
GG Allin: Hated is interesting

I don't know if I could sit through an entire documentry on that freakshow.

I take that back. I did manage to sit through an entire viewing of the "Jim Rose Circus Side Show." So, who knows? Maybe I can.

Jeopardude
2/24/2007, 03:38 PM
My shoulder makes an appearance in The Devil and Daniel Johnston. :cool:

royalfan5
2/24/2007, 03:42 PM
The last one I watched was When We Were Kings, and I want to get the new Larry Holmes documentary too.

Jimminy Crimson
2/24/2007, 04:02 PM
It's a couple of years old, but is an interesting story:

39 Pounds of Love

This documentary tells the moving story of Ami Ankilewitz, an Israeli man who developed a rare form of muscular dystrophy at the age of 1, unable to move any part of his body except for a finger. Ami's mother was told her son would not live past his sixth birthday, but at age 34, he's proved medical science wrong. Returning to the United States, the 39-pound miracle faces the doctor who said he would not survive and makes amends with his brother.

KC//CRIMSON
3/27/2007, 12:28 PM
The Ground Truth - Patricia Foulkrod's powerful documentary spotlights American soldiers sharing their experiences on the battlefield in Iraq and back home as they try to reassemble their lives. With aching honesty, these men and women discuss the anguish of war, the difficulties of readjusting to life after their tours of duty, post-traumatic stress disorder and the often callous treatment returning troops receive from the military and the Veterans Administration.

Preview - http://youtube.com/watch?v=dLjKtLnetK4

OUAndy1807
3/27/2007, 12:42 PM
anyone seen American Hardcore yet? I've almost picked it up the last couple of times I went to Blockbuster.

skycat
3/27/2007, 12:46 PM
Watched Murderball not that long ago. Pretty good, it's worth the time if you're into that sort of thing.

I've got Born into Brothels sitting at home right now. Who knows when I'll have a chance to watch it though.

KC//CRIMSON
3/27/2007, 12:55 PM
Might as well drop this in here since no one gave a **** in the other thread.:mad:

Errol Morris' First Person Series on DVD

Synopsis: Iconoclastic documentary filmmaker Errol Morris brings his unique perspective to the small screen for a stylized series of intimate interviews with a fascinating array of people. With the aid of his "Interrotron" -- a camera device Morris invented to maintain continuous eye contact with his subjects -- the Oscar-winning director puts his odd assortment of characters and topics under scrutiny to produce the kind of TV you just never see.

Reviews: Overall I give this series 4 stars. Morris' interview subjects are, as always, articulate, interesting, and weird. However, the interview with pilot Dennis Fitch, "One in a Million Trillion", is simply one of the most engaging and terrifying pieces of work I have ever seen. It haunted me for days and is by far the best interview in the series.

This program features intimate portrayals of wacky and wonderful people, such as a woman who marries a serial killer, a biologist obsessed with finding a giant squid and an autistic woman who designs slaughterhouses. Each segment mainly features the subject speaking directly to the camera and talking about themselves and their unique obsession. It can seem slow at times but for the most part they are interesting enough people to make it worthwhile.

Once again, Morris proves his genius as a documentarian. Funny, irreverant, fascinating - these character studies will stay with you for days. A must-see for anyone interested in factual filmmaking.

Denny Fitch: Watch part one, and I'll guarantee you that you will want to watch the rest of it. REALLY GOOD.:cool:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OPu0chBQeUk

Hamhock
3/27/2007, 01:10 PM
i saw a show on history/a&e/ordiscovery that took apart the kennedy assassination, from the other side. the were trying to prove that there was no conspiracy. they explained the magic bullet, etc.

Fraggle145
3/27/2007, 01:33 PM
Jesus Camp - This riveting Oscar-nominated documentary offers an unfiltered look at a revivalist subculture where devout Christian youngsters are being primed to deliver the fundamentalist community's religious and political messages. Building an evangelical army of tomorrow, the Kids on Fire summer camp in Devil's Lake, N.D., is dedicated to deepening the preteens' spirituality and sowing the seeds of political activism as they're exhorted to "take back America for Christ."

Just saw this one. Two words. Shocked. Appalled.

Not that I didnt know it happened I grew up in a town where they tried to force feed me that stuff. Makes me hate it all the more now. The evolution/creation story drove me crazy as well as the many other things...

yermom
3/27/2007, 01:49 PM
i have meant to see that one, but haven't gotten to it yet

i've seen like half of DiG, it was pretty cool, but i haven't gotten back to it

King Crimson
3/27/2007, 02:10 PM
American Pimp is pretty interesting.

KaiserSooner
3/27/2007, 02:16 PM
KC//CRIMSON][/B]

Just saw this one. Two words. Shocked. Appalled

Not that I didnt know it happened I grew up in a town where they tried to force feed me that stuff. Makes me hate it all the more now. The evolution/creation story drove me crazy as well as the many other things...

Just recently saw this one too. I wasn't shocked, but it is appalling and rather frightening.

Jeopardude
3/27/2007, 02:32 PM
Good ones I've seen lately:

Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hilll - The music is godawful, but the story of a SF burnout who documents and cares for a flock of wild parrots is engrossing and has a sweet surprise ending.

End of The Century - The Ramones story is hilarious, sometimes Spinal Tap, but beautiful and heartbreaking as well.

Step Into Liquid - Whooooooa dude, this surf doc is rad. Awesome crazy footage. I respect the waveriders.

Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room - Captures the mass hysteria of the "New Economy." Sad story.

47straight
3/28/2007, 12:53 AM
I saw these two at SXSW.

What Would Jesus Buy? - A performance artist assumes the identity of "the reverend Billy" and with a 40-person choir, takes the Church of Stop Shopping on the road to wake people up about their consumerism before Christmas.

A Lawyer Walks into a Bar - Follows 5 people studying for the California bar exam, which has the lowest passage rate in the country. Throws in some discussion of our culture and lawyers

def_lazer_fc
3/28/2007, 04:55 AM
american hardcore was good. interesting to see those people all grown up.

devil and daniel johnston - excellent. everybody who cares anything about music should see this

dig - another good one. anton is a genious. to hell with the dandy warhols.

before the music died - had high hopes. turned out to be some infomercial for some indy label of dave matthews. weak.

just finished with the latest installment of the 7-up series. the director starts interviewing people at 7 years old, and continues at 7 year intervals. they are up to 49 now. quite an awesome use of film if you ask me.

Jeopardude
3/28/2007, 09:22 AM
I saw these two at SXSW.

What Would Jesus Buy? - A performance artist assumes the identity of "the reverend Billy" and with a 40-person choir, takes the Church of Stop Shopping on the road to wake people up about their consumerism before Christmas.

Hey, I once ended up in a protest march led by Reverend Billy! He's a hell of a performer.

47straight
3/28/2007, 09:49 PM
Hey, I once ended up in a protest march led by Reverend Billy! He's a hell of a performer.

He was at the screening to answer questions. The guy is genuine and sincere, and (at times) can really connect to a base of people that don't think about consumerism as much as they can.

One of the things about the movie is figuring out how much of this persona is an act and how much is really him. The director said that at first he thought that the Rev Billy was making fun of evangelical preachers, but he realized that at some point it was the exact opposite. A particular scene in the movie has him saying he is going to float in the air - later he says - "what was I thinking that I could float in the air and all i ended up in was the bushes."

Anyways, the movie was good. I think targeting Wal-Mart is a little overdone, though they do target more typical mall type environs in the movie. Go after the culture of wanting stuff you don't need more than the going after where actual working people are gonna have to shop for basic necessities.

Rhino
4/2/2007, 12:47 AM
Finally saw Murderball. Excellent documentary.

OUAndy1807
6/17/2007, 11:31 AM
anything new I should be checking out?

Czar Soonerov
6/17/2007, 12:58 PM
OUR MASSIVE PLANET (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNY_6uFd20w)

proud gonzo
6/17/2007, 01:08 PM
The Anti-Americans

Control Room

85Sooner
6/17/2007, 05:46 PM
Seen any good democrats lately?

No
Republicans either for that matter.

Viva la immigracion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

critical_phil
7/13/2007, 01:40 AM
don't know if i'd recommend any of these (http://www.freedocumentaries.org/index.php?ct=13), but somebody may like them.

you have to click the :watch movie: link on the trailer page. some links didn't work.

rufnek05
7/13/2007, 02:49 AM
anyone one said "planet earth"?

Rhino
7/13/2007, 10:52 AM
Saw Maxed Out (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0762117/) and American Hardcore last week.

Maxed Out was fantastic. American Hardcore was good - just wish they'd talked about N.O.T.A. more, besides just showing their logo.

Hatfield
7/13/2007, 11:13 AM
festival express is great in that it shows that it really was a festival for the performers. Something like that would never take place in today's dollar driven world. Some really great performances (and many were just the jam sessions on the train)

devil and daniel johnson was an interesting one as well....he really did dump on his manager that got him set up to succeed....but then he is crazy so can you really blame him.

jesus camp....outstanding quotes from Ted Haggard pre-outing. :)

KC//CRIMSON
7/13/2007, 12:28 PM
Netflix is sending The Corporation and Maxed Out. Will report back.:cool:

King Crimson
7/13/2007, 02:45 PM
Netflix is sending The Corporation and Maxed Out. Will report back.:cool:

The Corporation is pretty interesting. it's kind of all over the place, but has some pretty good stuff. it's a screed, no doubt about it.

KC//CRIMSON
7/13/2007, 07:13 PM
just finished with the latest installment of the 7-up series. the director starts interviewing people at 7 years old, and continues at 7 year intervals. they are up to 49 now. quite an awesome use of film if you ask me.

I saw this last week. Pretty interesting. Surprised he was able to keep track of all those people over such a long period of time.

Soonerchaz
7/13/2007, 07:31 PM
Seems we have a bunch of music lovers...so check out "New York Doll".

Follows Arthur Kane...former bass player for the New York Dolls. Even if you're not a fan or don't even know of the Dolls...it's a very touching and poignant film.

KC//CRIMSON
7/29/2007, 01:13 AM
The Corporation is pretty interesting. it's kind of all over the place, but has some pretty good stuff. it's a screed, no doubt about it.

We just finished watching this a few minutes ago. Man, that was long, but well done. The growth hormone case "RBGH" and the price of being a whistleblower was good. And the section they talked about with IBM and Coca Cola and the WWII connections with the Nazis was fascinating.

Who knew Orange Fanta was soda pop for the Nazis? Wow.

Good stuff.

KC//CRIMSON
8/4/2007, 11:09 PM
The Devil and Daniel Johnston - (REALLY want to see this one.) - In his second film, former commercial director Jeff Feuerzeig tackles the documentary format, introducing the world to Daniel Johnston -- a reclusive musical genius now in the throes of manic depression. Blending up-to-date footage with home movies, archival material and rare audio, Feuerzeig creates a dizzying -- and heartbreaking -- portrait of a man whose inner demons are taking over, one delusion at a time.

Just wrapped this one up and I have to say, anyone who gives the slightest inkling about art, music, and artist in general needs to see this documentry.

It's outstanding.:cool:

King Crimson
8/4/2007, 11:24 PM
KC//, check out the Century of Self series.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2637635365191428174

Rogue
8/5/2007, 11:11 AM
Anybody see Why We Fight yet?

King Crimson
8/5/2007, 11:13 AM
i have.

Rogue
8/5/2007, 11:31 AM
It's on now on E-DRw

KC//CRIMSON
8/5/2007, 11:36 AM
Think I'm gonna get this next: http://www.sonyclassics.com/sketchesoffrankgehry/

Enter the site and you can view a quick video. Looks really :cool:

SicEmBaylor
8/5/2007, 12:30 PM
I watched one last night produced by the BBC called "War of the Century" about the Eastern Front in WWII.

Very good.

Shneeg11
8/5/2007, 01:32 PM
Not exactly a documentary, but the movie rescue dawn was a good movie, i saw it last night, its a true story about a fighter pilot in the vietnam conflict (before the war) that was shot down and taken to a pow camp. from which he escapes

KC//CRIMSON
8/10/2007, 07:41 PM
Dethroning the King of 'Donkey Kong'

In 1982, a teenager named Billy Mitchell showed up at a Life magazine photo shoot of the world's best video game players, walked into an arcade and set a world record score for Donkey Kong that destroyed what anybody else had been able to do up to that point.

He scored 874,300 points, orders of magnitude higher than anyone else's best, and that was it. The Donkey Kong standard had been set. And like Joe DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak in 1941, it seemed like a record that might never be broken.

At the beginning of director Seth Gordon and producer Ed Cunningham's brisk-paced new documentary The King of Kong, we meet Mitchell, years later, in 2006, all grown up, but still looking a bit adolescent with his long hair and youthful air. And no wonder. Mitchell is said to be the "gamer of the century." In addition to his Donkey Kong record, he also held the best scores in Centipede, Donkey Kong, Jr. and a couple of others. Even 24 years later, he was still milking the notoriety.

Given the renewed interest in retro games, it's not surprising that a film looking at Donkey Kong (which recently ranked third most popular '80s game in an informal poll of CNET News.com readers) would come out now. Xbox Live has released several classics, and nearly everywhere you look these days, it's Frogger this, or Pac-Man that.

Over the years, Mitchell has clearly developed a philosophy about his avocation, one time-tested through countless hours and quarters.

"There will always be the argument that video games are meant to be played for fun," Mitchell says at the beginning of the film, which opens in theaters on August 17. "Believe me, some of it's a lot of fun. Video games are meant to be played at home, on a couch, relaxing amongst friends, and they are, and that's fun. But competitive gaming, when you want to attach your name to a world record, when you want your name written into history, you have to pay the price."

Steve Wiebe knows exactly what Mitchell is talking about.

Wiebe is a teacher who lives in Redmond, Wash., in the shadow of Microsoft's headquarters. He's the son of a Boeing lifer who expected to forge his own career working for the aerospace giant.

He had been proficient at sports, playing baseball and basketball, and he'd been a drummer. But he'd never quite been the best at anything. In the film, we meet his family members, including his parents, wife and brother, and all talk about how coming in second is sort of Wiebe's life story, and how it defines him, to his detriment.

But Wiebe has another passion: Donkey Kong. And he's very good at it. So good, in fact, that he decides to take a shot at Mitchell's world-record high score.

The film treats almost unemotionally this initial attempt to knock Mitchell from his throne.

Sure, we see Walter Day, founder of the video game high-score certification organization Twin Galaxies, opining on the likelihood of Mitchell ever being topped: "No one," Day says, "will ever be able to beat (Mitchell's) world record."

But Wiebe does just that.

We're treated to scenes from the video that Wiebe had shot of his record-breaking attempt as he played at his Donkey Kong machine in his basement.

He's made it to more than 600,000 points without even losing a man when suddenly his young son screams at him to stop playing and come help him in the bathroom.

But he doesn't stop. And in the end, he nets a final score of 1,006,600 points, shattering Mitchell's record.

If that was the end of the story, it would be a touching, yet somewhat anticlimactic end, and the new record would carry only a little of the import that some might think it would.

But this is Steve Wiebe, the man who has always been thrown unexpected curveballs. So nothing is quite so simple.

It turns out that he had associated with one Roy Shildt, the record holder in Missile Command, who for some time had been engaged in a battle with Mitchell over who really had that game's high score.

We find out that Shildt and Mitchell have basically become mortal enemies, with threats thrown back and forth, and a general animosity that has seeped into the upper echelons of Twin Galaxies, where Mitchell is revered as classic video gaming's ambassador and his supremacy is unquestioned.

But prior to his world record attempt, Wiebe's Donkey Kong machine had died, and Shildt had given him a new control board. And when Twin Galaxies investigators showed up to check out the machine, they found hastily explained abnormalities with it that led them to invalidate Wiebe's score.

Thus begins the main part of the film: Wiebe's attempt to prove he's for real.

The first suggestion is that Wiebe travel to a place where the Donkey Kong machine is known and he can play in front of people. That means just one place in the world to classic video game enthusiasts: FunSpot, in Weirs, N.H.

So Wiebe packs his quarters and hops in the car. The next thing you know, he's sitting in front of FunSpot's Donkey Kong machine--known to be one of the world's hardest, according to local legend--and the chase is on.

The shots are striking. At first, Wiebe is all alone, well on his way to a world's record, and no one even notices. But as he inches closer--especially as he approaches what is known as the "kill screen," when a player reaches such an advanced point in the game where it simply dies--he is suddenly surrounded.

What becomes clear is that Wiebe, for all his skill, is a total outsider in the classic video game universe, and the institution is not rooting for him. At every step of the way, as his score rises, another enthusiastic player sneaks away and phones Mitchell, informing him of Wiebe's progress.

SPOILER ALERT from editor: If you don't want to know what happens in the movie, please do not read beyond this point.

Eventually, Wiebe gets the kill screen, and his score tops out at 985,600, a new record.

Cheers erupt, and for a moment, it looks as if Wiebe is finally, at long, last, the best at something.

But seemingly moments later, a video tape arrives, everyone gathers around to watch it. On it, Mitchell is seen playing his own game of Donkey Kong. We don't even need to see what happens: his score tops a million, and as everyone cheers the new, new record, we see Wiebe, looking shell-shocked and crying.

And that's where things stand, for nine months.

But one day, Walter Day at Twin Galaxies gets a call from the Guinness Book of World Records, which tells him they want the organization to sanction record holders in a series of classic video games, including Donkey Kong.

So off to Hollywood, Fla.--Mitchell's home town--Wiebe goes, hoping for a shot at breaking the record, and doing so head-to-head with the gamer of the century.

It's a perfect movie moment. First we see Wiebe's wife talking about how she worries what will happen if he doesn't emerge victorious. Then we're treated to the sight of Mitchell, through a barely cracked door and reflected in his bathroom mirror, combing his long hair while Leonard Cohen rasps away at Everybody Knows.

But while Wiebe shows up ready to go for Guinness, Mitchell won't play. We don't find out precisely why, but it's clear that Mitchell can't bear the idea of having to protect his record in front of others, and risk losing.

It's a poor showing.

"I traveled 3,000 miles for my chance to get in Guinness," Wiebe says. "I hope (Mitchell) can at least come 10 miles and put his game on the line."

But he doesn't.

At one point, one of Mitchell's sidekicks, who has been watching Wiebe play, sits down with Mitchell and tells the interviewer that he's impressed with Wiebe, his integrity and his game.

The interviewer then asks Mitchell if he feels the same, and in a sad, defeatist voice that reeks of denial, he responds, "I'm not familiar enough with his situation."

In the end, however, Wiebe is not able to break Mitchell's 1,047,200 record, and Twin Galaxies submits that as its sanctioned score.

It's the story of Wiebe's life, yet again second. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

"But," the final frame of the film tells us, on August 6, 2006, Wiebe posted a score of 1,049,100, and, finally, is on top of the world.

critical_phil
8/10/2007, 08:39 PM
i DVR'd Who Killed the Electric Car a few weeks ago and just got around to watching it.

i recommend it (i just don't have a 12 page post like KC//C).

KC//CRIMSON
8/10/2007, 09:51 PM
i DVR'd Who Killed the Electric Car a few weeks ago and just got around to watching it.

i recommend it (i just don't have a 12 page post like KC//C).

We'll spot you for having a small vocabulary.;)

critical_phil
8/10/2007, 09:53 PM
kthnx

OUAndy1807
9/20/2007, 04:50 PM
King of Kong was a nice movie.

KC//CRIMSON
2/9/2008, 02:34 AM
Watch King of Kong here:http://www.megavideo.com/?v=LZ04GFZI just click twice and watch.

It starts right after the thirty second mark.

Great documentry.:cool:

OUbones
2/9/2008, 06:14 AM
This thread needs some gold stars.

King Crimson
2/9/2008, 08:26 AM
Think I'm gonna get this next: http://www.sonyclassics.com/sketchesoffrankgehry/

enter the site and you can view a quick video. looks really:cool:

that's a pretty good one, the Gehry one. it's produced by Sidney Pollack.

this is recommended, about N. Korea's "mass games":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVBcYEV6Wgs

Blue
2/9/2008, 12:44 PM
A Crude Awekening. It was decent.

KC//CRIMSON
2/13/2008, 02:13 PM
King of Kong was a nice movie.

It also proves that Billy Mitchell is a prick.;)

skycat
2/13/2008, 02:15 PM
I haven't seen many lately.

I did catch the one about Phelps on Showtime a while back. It was pretty good actually.

KC//CRIMSON
3/14/2009, 08:53 PM
Man on Wire

Philippe Petit captured the world's attention in 1974 when he successfully walked across a high wire between New York's Twin Towers. This Oscar winner for Best Documentary explores the preparations that went into the stunt as well as the event and its aftermath. Obsessed with the towers even before they were fully constructed, Petit sneaked into the buildings several times to determine the equipment he needed to accomplish his daring feat.

Excellent.

Part One - http://www.eatlime.com/video/man-on-wire-1/76048201-2D1F-D6FD-ADC2-2441789D7BCC

Part Two - http://www.eatlime.com/video/man-on-wire-2/DDB81AC1-2DF1-27AE-9488-3558670C8596

ultimatesooner1
3/17/2009, 04:18 PM
bigger faster stronger is a good one

SanJoaquinSooner
3/17/2009, 06:35 PM
The artistic crime of the century. I agree with ....

http://static.open.salon.com/files/man_on_wire_ver21233859132.jpg

I also highly recommend....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2042/1799136584_729cc8dea9.jpg

SanJoaquinSooner
3/17/2009, 06:46 PM
another great one is (particularly meaningful if you remember the late sixties)....

http://movieposters4u.net/images/C/Crumb.jpg