PDA

View Full Version : Teens that sell magazines door-to-door

Rhino
2/23/2007, 05:11 PM
NY Times had a frightening in-depth article on them the other day.

I'm only one page and half the video through, but so far, it's a good read/watch.

For Youths, a Grim Tour on Magazine Crews (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/21/us/21magcrew.html?ex=1329800400&en=73f0b63efaf9a910&ei=5124&partner=facebook&exprod=facebook)

Hamhock
2/23/2007, 05:23 PM
i haven't read teh article. but i can tell you i got totally screwed by one (not in a dear penthouse sort of way). i spent over $100 and never got a single issue of anything i ordered.

compassion never got anyone anywhere.

sanantoniosooner
2/23/2007, 05:27 PM
Most of them are out of work software engineers.

yermom
2/23/2007, 05:33 PM
Most of them are out of work software engineers.

and don't know anything about money laundering :mad:

NormanPride
2/23/2007, 05:33 PM
'Man, what am I gonna do with 50 subscriptions to Vibe?"

yermom
2/23/2007, 05:37 PM
man, how do things always come back to SicEm? ;)

those girls probably were pretty desperate...

Rhino
2/23/2007, 05:44 PM
i haven't read teh article. but i can tell you i got totally screwed by one (not in a dear penthouse sort of way). i spent over $100 and never got a single issue of anything i ordered. From the article:
A majority of former crew members said that while they occasionally made several hundred dollars a week, most of the time they received little more than the daily allowance of $15, while the rest of their earnings stayed on the books to cover expenses. Many also said that subscriptions for magazines were never actually fulfilled.

Rhino
2/23/2007, 05:51 PM
Reading that article made me have flashbacks to this point in my life (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=559052&postcount=120).

mdklatt
2/23/2007, 05:52 PM
In a moment of weakness (I usually tell solicitors to **** off, dip****), I renewed a magazine subscription from one of those kids once. I didn't have any problems, though.

soonerboomer93
2/23/2007, 06:03 PM
Mr. Smith said he viewed most stories of drug use and physical abuse as exaggerations. “I don’t put a lot of stock in them because, to be brutally frank with you, abuse is like beauty. It’s in the eyes of the beholder,” he said

****in scum

jacru
2/23/2007, 06:10 PM
The only kids I give the time of day to are the local kids I know selling stuff for their school groups.

GottaHavePride
2/23/2007, 09:01 PM
Yeah, we gave a kid from Noble high school $20 for some coupons because they were selling them to raise money for baseball equipment. Most others we turn away.

soonerboomer93
2/23/2007, 09:08 PM
I won't even let them into my house, heck, they're lucky if I answer the door

fyi front door camera's = greatness

Frozen Sooner
2/23/2007, 09:12 PM
I generally holler at them to get off my damn lawn.

Then I chuck rocks at them until I actually get one in the head.

If you can't read a "No Solicitors" sign, you're certainly not intelligent enough to sell me a magazine.

I remember one time I told a kid "Not interested" three times and he kept trying to talk. I shut the door in his face and he sat out there for five minutes asking why I shut the door.

King Crimson
2/23/2007, 10:31 PM
oh, i don't know. i hung out one afternoon with a young black kid selling mags who he just had had enough. enough of standing on whitey's door knocking on it as a tall gangly black kid from Detroit....in lily white Boulder, Colorado. he said: ain't doing anymore....i might as well be wearing a t-shirt that says i'm a young brother and i wanna **** yer daughter. we drank a few beers and hung out. good kid. funny as hell. sent me a sub to Vibe too.