PDA

View Full Version : Names on jerseys for 2007?

stoopified
2/23/2007, 11:21 AM
I'm guessing that since the no names all started with space problem for nameplates,I'm thinking that the problem has been corrected and we will once again have names on the back.Has anyone heard anything definitive?Speculative ?Wild-a$$ guesses?I never heard how the D.O. poll on this came out,anyone?Its early offseason and I'm really bored.

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/23/2007, 11:38 AM
Well my wild a$$ guess is that they will be because of all the mumbles and grumbles

rufnek05
2/23/2007, 11:58 AM
i bet they do, i heard a lot of people complain. but if they don't, i wouldn't loose any sleep

soonerboy_odanorth
2/23/2007, 12:41 PM
Dear God:

Please make this go away.

Amen.

Widescreen
2/23/2007, 12:45 PM
This really only impacts the casual fan. Any hardcore fans knows the main players by their # anyway. Even my grade school daughter knows all the players by their jersey number. It took me 1 game to learn the various numbers last year. So if they put the names on, great. If not, no big deal IMO.

snp
2/23/2007, 12:45 PM
I heard the players voted for the names to be back on.

snp
2/23/2007, 12:49 PM
This really only impacts the casual fan. Any hardcore fans knows the main players by their # anyway. Even my grade school daughter knows all the players by their jersey number. It took me 1 game to learn the various numbers last year. So if they put the names on, great. If not, no big deal IMO.

I disagree with this. Hardcore fans like myself like to know when the backups are coming into the game as well. Unless you memorize the roster, it's almost impossible to do this.

Also gets confusing with the offensive/defensive line.

LittleWingSooner
2/23/2007, 01:17 PM
I never really noticed the names on there because from the side angles they don't show the names often. I have always remembered names by the numbers. When I went to games I always had a side angle also so you can only see parts of names with me. So I didn't really think the no names was a big deal.

I bet they come back at some point but I really don't care that much either way.

SoonerLB
2/23/2007, 02:12 PM
I disagree with this. Hardcore fans like myself like to know when the backups are coming into the game as well. Unless you memorize the roster, it's almost impossible to do this.

I concur. Speaking as one who watches most games on TV, having the names on helps distinguish the players when there is no roster handy. And I freely admit my memory is not good enough to memorize the roster, LOL! ;)

swardboy
2/23/2007, 04:19 PM
I think the name should also be on the side of the helmet...and on the thigh pads. Put it across the butt too.

sanantoniosooner
2/23/2007, 04:21 PM
Only the casual fan cares if there is a slanty paperclip or block OU.

Right?

Remembering Tom Stidham
2/23/2007, 05:58 PM
Those names are very important to me. I can not attend games anymore because of diminished vision and arthritis problems. When you have to watch on TV those names are significant.

OUinFLA
2/23/2007, 09:34 PM
Those names are very important to me. I can not attend games anymore because of diminished vision and arthritis problems. When you have to watch on TV those names are significant.

I agree, but my reasons for not attending games has to do with the 1300 mile drive. And that's just to get out of Florida :D

MiccoMacey
2/23/2007, 09:41 PM
It's 100% guaranteed that they will or will not put the names on the back of the jerseys, depending on what's decided at a later date.

Book it.

Widescreen
2/23/2007, 09:42 PM

Since we didn't have big enough leads last year to play backups, it didn't really matter. :P

LittleWingSooner
2/23/2007, 10:15 PM
How many times in a game can you see the names on the jerseys? Maybe only when they have back angles but for the most part the angles are on the sides. I can't see a name from those angles.

SoonerTerry
2/23/2007, 10:20 PM
84% chance Dean the dream will have a WAG

goingoneight
2/23/2007, 11:40 PM

Just turn up the volume... they do read the names accordingly.

TopDawg
2/23/2007, 11:42 PM
I like it without.

Ash
2/24/2007, 12:51 AM
If it's that big of a problem, you can print the rosters for games at soonersports.com

just sayin'

that being just said...I'm all for names back on the jerseys

goingoneight
2/24/2007, 12:54 AM
I really think this is a dead issue. No one inside Owen Field will be able to read jersey names but the people in million-dollah seats and players/coaches/refs. Fans usually can't see the names, and even on high-definition, you have to wait for a much slower instant replay just to get a glance at it. I like what Stoops said about team unity, and it also helps keep kids from banking off of OU jerseys w/ their names on them when they're still in school.

snp
2/24/2007, 02:50 AM
Since we didn't have big enough leads last year to play backups, it didn't really matter. :P

Seriously, bring back the blowouts. These past two years have been draining.

If it's that big of a problem, you can print the rosters for games at soonersports.com

just sayin'

that being just said...I'm all for names back on the jerseys

Thanks but no thanks. I really don't want to chill at the tailgate around a bunch of babes with a printoff in my hand letting me know whether it was Tennel or Caleb that just checked in.

TopDawg
2/24/2007, 03:23 AM
Dude, if you really care that much if it was Tennel or Caleb that just checked in, chances are the babes ain't gonna be around you.

snp
2/24/2007, 05:36 AM
:rolleyes:

sanantoniosooner
2/24/2007, 09:32 AM
Dang folks, I'll be quite honest about it. It's the look we've had. That's the reason I brought up the logo. I'm used to seeing the names. It doesn't have anything to do with NEEDING them. It's been a part of the uniform we've had for a long time and I just like sticking with what I'm familiar with.

Yeah, it's a bit shallow, but I bet a bunch of you would whine if we went back to the slanty OU that don't care on the name thing.

Texas Golfer
2/24/2007, 09:41 AM
I won't lose sleep either way but it is more convenient to have the names on the jerseys.

Ash
2/24/2007, 10:22 AM

Thanks but no thanks. I really don't want to chill at the tailgate around a bunch of babes with a printoff in my hand letting me know whether it was Tennel or Caleb that just checked in.

Memorize it. Imagine how impressed the honies will be when you lay down some knowledge on them:

Cutie: "Oh, SNP...who's number 83?"

SNP: "That's JerJohnson Jones, baby."

Cutie: "Oh, SNP...you're so...knowledgeable..."

SNP: "I'm down with the team, baby...what can I say?"

You're in, my man, you're in.

;)

sooneron
2/24/2007, 11:23 AM

TOTALLY agree. When I'm watching the game, I try to watch the line and that gets old when you don't know which guard is getting a false start penalty on plays that he's pulling. Plus, with all the new blood that has been playing, it has been a real pain. And yes, I consider myself a hardcore fan. Most people at watch parties look at me when there is a questions about a player/penalty/**** up or whatever for any info.

And I agree with SAS. It's part of what we have been doing for a while now, WELL BEFORE Stoops was at OU. He's not the sole arbiter of OU tradition after eight years.

MichiganSooner
2/24/2007, 12:18 PM
I liked having the names. But I understood why Stoops took them off last year. Doesn't matter one way or the other to me.

TopDawg
2/24/2007, 02:11 PM
:rolleyes:

Lighten up, Lawrence. It's just me.

I liked the way "no names" looked on the jersey. Plus, it was a nice challenge to remember them without the names. You guys are just too mentally lazy.

soonerjoker
2/24/2007, 09:58 PM
they took the numbers off to sell more programs.

Jay C. Upchurch
2/24/2007, 11:49 PM
Coach Stoops did let the team vote on the issue of names on the backs of jersey and as a result, the 2007 Sooners' uniforms will again have names on the backs.

The weird part of the deal is that every nameplate is the same size, so the lettering on certain jerseys will be larger or smaller, depending on how long the player's name is....

Soonerus
2/24/2007, 11:56 PM
Coach Stoops did let the team vote on the issue of names on the backs of jersey and as a result, the 2007 Sooners' uniforms will again have names on the backs.\\

That's great !!!!
\

Ash
2/25/2007, 12:09 AM
Coach Stoops did let the team vote on the issue of names on the backs of jersey and as a result, the 2007 Sooners' uniforms will again have names on the backs.

The weird part of the deal is that every nameplate is the same size, so the lettering on certain jerseys will be larger or smaller, depending on how long the player's name is....

That is weird...damn the new jerseys!!!

Jay C. Upchurch
2/25/2007, 10:11 AM
I should clarify...

Since most last names on the OU roster are 4-8 letters, all of those names should appear in the same size type... a very few may fall into the "off size" type category...

The 2007 roster doesn't include any long names like these past OU players...

Onyenegecha

Hettmannsperger

von Schamann

Van Keirsbilck

O'Shaughnessy

Kaltenbacher

Wilson-Guest

Baldischwiler

LittleWingSooner
2/25/2007, 11:04 AM
Here are the names that have at least 9 letters in their last name

Frank Alexander
Jacob Gutierrez
Hays McEachern
and
Donald Stephenson

soonerjoker
2/25/2007, 11:57 AM
thanx for info, Jay.

sanantoniosooner
2/25/2007, 02:39 PM
We really should recruit players with short names to avoid problems.

TopDawg
2/25/2007, 08:48 PM
We really should recruit players with short names to avoid problems.

Or fans with longer memories.

sanantoniosooner
2/25/2007, 09:03 PM
Or fans with longer memories.
It's an issue of fitting it on the jersey properly dingaling.

sooner_born_1960
2/25/2007, 11:52 PM
i bet they do, i heard a lot of people complain. but if they don't, i wouldn't loose any sheep
perv.

Ash
2/26/2007, 01:14 AM
If Mike Stoops was still here, all the names would fit on the jerseys.

goingoneight
2/27/2007, 11:50 PM
If Mike Stoops was still here, all the names would fit on the jerseys.

Yeah, and they'd look more intimidating, too. :eek:

SoonerShark
2/28/2007, 01:57 PM

When I was in grade school, I knew all of the players, too. Now that more important things than football exist and I am too old to remember things it is a different story.

SteelClip49
2/28/2007, 02:05 PM
No names on jersies is a great thing. Stoops did it because of traditional methods. If fans want to know the names, then print off a roster on soonersports.com or just buy a program. Buying a program gets expensive yes so printing off a roster is the most logical choice. It would also be great if the OU was taken off the helmet. Fans may hate that but I am sure fans could still point out who their team is. The 2003 look or whenever it was against North Texas was a perfect example except the color jersies needed to be more crimson than TAMU maroon.

Seamus
2/28/2007, 02:28 PM
Now that more important things than football exist ...

You take that back!

:cool:

Seamus
2/28/2007, 02:29 PM
The 2003 look or whenever it was against North Texas was a perfect example except the color jersies needed to be more crimson than TAMU maroon.

Memory may not be serving correctly, but I think they were so dark because it rained that night.

sanantoniosooner
2/28/2007, 03:15 PM
No names on jersies is a great thing. Stoops did it because of traditional methods. If fans want to know the names, then print off a roster on soonersports.com or just buy a program. Buying a program gets expensive yes so printing off a roster is the most logical choice. It would also be great if the OU was taken off the helmet. Fans may hate that but I am sure fans could still point out who their team is. The 2003 look or whenever it was against North Texas was a perfect example except the color jersies needed to be more crimson than TAMU maroon.
Perhaps our guys can get white unidforms that say "logo" on the side of the helmet, "name" on the back, and "college" on the front.

Generic stuff is awesome.

SteelClip49
2/28/2007, 04:22 PM
PSU plays with no logo helmets and no logo jersies and their overall look is not that bad.

snp
2/28/2007, 06:00 PM
PSU is probably my third favorite uniform. Their look is pretty sweet.

Perhaps our guys can get white unidforms that say "logo" on the side of the helmet, "name" on the back, and "college" on the front.

Generic stuff is awesome.

sanantoniosooner
2/28/2007, 08:05 PM
The PSU look is part of the PSU tradition.

The OU look is part of the OU tradition.

Is this thing on?

snp
2/28/2007, 08:41 PM
sanantoniosooner
This message is hidden because sanantoniosooner is on your ignore list.

SteelClip49
2/28/2007, 09:54 PM
The PSU look is part of the PSU tradition.

The OU look is part of the OU tradition.

Is this thing on?

Maybe I could be wrong, but when OU was playing football in the early 1900s, did they have the OU on the helmets?

Tradition goes way back than the 60's or whenever the OU was first put on. I believe OU helmets used to have the numbers on them which looked a bit tacky.

sanantoniosooner
2/28/2007, 09:58 PM
tradition evolves with history.

SteelClip49
2/28/2007, 10:06 PM
tradition evolves with history.

Tell Joe Pa that then.

Stoops is a traditionalist, can you blame him?

goingoneight
2/28/2007, 10:25 PM
I got cut off in traffic the other day and all I remember was the license plate number. I thought to myself, "man... if only there was a nameplate." :D

SteelClip49
3/1/2007, 12:00 AM
I got cut off in traffic the other day and all I remember was the license plate number. I thought to myself, "man... if only there was a nameplate."

hmm

LittleWingSooner
3/1/2007, 02:14 AM
OU didn't even have SOONERS on the jersey's till 1980 or 1981. Way back 27 years ago. And OU didn't have the name on the jerseys till 1973.

Fraggle145
3/1/2007, 02:26 AM

I thought the retro jerseys against I believe it was North Carolina in the last "Kickoff Classic" were really cool. White helmets, basically it was a crimson and cream penn st with a red stripe down the middle of the helmet. And ya our uni's used to look like that and if we went back to them I wouldnt be sad. Not that I would be ecstatic either.

If I had my druthers it would be names on the back, OU on the helmet and then take the Sooners off of the front of the jersey, something about it screams 80's to me. That and every other team that still has that or has gone back to it (see Arkansas for the FAQ on how to steal a uniform) usually sucks (See S. Carolina, Texas A&M, etc...). JMHO. I wonder what white helmets with a crimson OU logo would look like?

SteelClip49
3/1/2007, 09:56 AM
Maybe this is a bit much, but what about the sooner schooner logo on a white helmet?

Oh, and for all the locals and whoever gets 92.5 KOMA, every day at 5:00 pm they play the OU version state song. On Friday they play it and 2 other versions of the state song. It gets the blood going and makes ya get even more pumped for being a SOONER!!!!!

sanantoniosooner
3/1/2007, 10:01 AM
You guys sold me.

They should were transparent uniforms so you can see the really cool pads underneath.