PDA

View Full Version : PETA none to happy with K-STATE

Hatfield
2/23/2007, 10:49 AM
This morning, PETA fired off a letter to Kansas State University President Jon Wefald urging him to prohibit the use of live animals at school events. PETA's plea follows news reports-and corroborating video footage on the Internet-that KSU fans at the men's basketball game at Bramlage Coliseum threw three live chickens on the court to taunt the visiting University of Kansas Jayhawks on Monday night.

PETA points out that chickens are sensitive animals and that subjecting them to the loud and boisterous atmosphere of a sporting event is cruel.
One photo posted following the game shows one of the chickens, who either died or went into shock after being thrown. PETA calls on Dr.
Wefald to follow the lead of the Detroit Red Wings of the National Hockey League, who cracked down on the practice of throwing octopi on the ice by prohibiting fans from bringing the animals to games and subjecting anyone who flouts the rule to prosecution.

"Any student who throws live birds on a basketball court should be thrown out of school," says PETA Director Debbie Leahy. "The primary purpose of a college is to educate, and apparently, some students at KSU could use a lesson in compassion."

PETA's letter to KSU President Jon Wefald follows.

February 22, 2007

Dr. Jon Wefald, President
Kansas State University
Office of the President
110 Anderson Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506

Dear Dr. Wefald:

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is an international nonprofit organization with more than 1.6 million members and supporters dedicated to the protection of animals. We have been inundated with calls of concern from people across the U.S. who are deeply upset about the use of live chickens in a "prank" at the Kansas State University
(KSU) men's basketball game on February 19. We hope you'll agree that this incident presents an opportunity to assess and alter policies pertaining to the use of animals at university events. We ask that a ban on the use of live animals at KSU events be enacted immediately and enforced rigorously.

According to reports, at least three live chickens were thrown onto the court by KSU fans during the introduction of the opposing team's players. One photograph shows a chicken splayed on the floor who is dead, injured, or extremely stunned. When given access to fresh air and sunshine, chickens, who are very intelligent and inquisitive animals, thrive and spend most of their time taking dust baths and scratching in the dirt. Subjecting them to deafening noise, bright lights, terror, abusive handling, and likely death for the sake of amusement at a basketball game is needless and deplorable. Surely this is not the image that KSU wants to convey to the public.

We understand that it is not always easy to predict or control the behavior of wayward individuals who may act in ways that are contrary to university practices and teachings. However, it would prove useful for the university to publicly announce its condemnation of the recent event, as well as the exploitation and cruel treatment of animals at university events in general, and to station employees at game entrances to ensure that live animals are not taken along to university games.

You may be interested to know that the National Hockey League (NHL) has dealt with a similar situation. There was a tradition among some Detroit Red Wings fans that involved throwing octopi carcasses onto the ice during games. The NHL and the Red Wings both frowned on this practice, and in 2002, the Red Wings' senior director of communications told ESPN, "Octopi are not permitted in our building, and they will be confiscated if they are found .... f you are caught throwing one, you can be removed from the building and you will be subject to prosecution."

So that we may inform the many concerned individuals who have contacted us about this incident, may I please hear from you? I can be reached at 757-622-7382, extension 8285; via fax at 757-628-0781; or via e-mail at [email protected]. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jackie Vergerio

:rolleyes:

usmc-sooner
2/23/2007, 10:51 AM
I would send him a bucket of the Col's best as a reply.

royalfan5
2/23/2007, 10:52 AM
I'm just impressed with the effort and follow through on the part of the K-State students. Chickens aren't fun to handle, and they can be mean.

Hatfield
2/23/2007, 10:54 AM
exactly...they should be applauded for their efforts and school spirit.

that is some quality rivalry hate right there.

IB4OU2
2/23/2007, 10:55 AM
Interesting....with todays security precautions how does one sneak a live chicken into a sporting event? :confused:

OU4LIFE
2/23/2007, 10:55 AM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/igotz5onit420/st20-20chicken.jpg

OU4LIFE
2/23/2007, 10:56 AM
Interesting....with todays security precautions how does one sneak a live chicken into a sporting event? :confused:

IN A CAN!

[that's old school right there people)

fadada1
2/23/2007, 10:57 AM
those weren't really chickens. they tasted like chicken, but not chickens.

wonder what PETA says about our beloved BOOMER and SOONER being subjected to 85K fans, multiple shotgun blasts, and having to watch oklahoma state football games once a year.

NormanPride
2/23/2007, 10:58 AM
Anything that can live for years without a head is not a "sensitive animal".

Hatfield
2/23/2007, 11:00 AM
peta probably doesn't even consider the horse pigs to be "animals" because last i checked....everyone hated the horse pigs

fadada1
2/23/2007, 11:02 AM
peta probably doesn't even consider the horse pigs to be "animals" because last i checked....everyone hated the horse pigs
no, no. the REAL boomer and sooner. not the horse-pigs. we should contact the ACLU as OU fans, for having to look at them.

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/23/2007, 11:06 AM
Even PETA would want to kill teh horsepigs.

usmc-sooner
2/23/2007, 11:11 AM
I think we should throw live aggies onto Owen Field from the press boxes next year.

SoonerStormchaser
2/23/2007, 11:38 AM
Baby seals work nicely too!

Seriously though, I hate that the RedWings don't throw octopi on the ice anymore...I thought it was cool!

Boarder
2/23/2007, 11:44 AM
Subjecting them to terror

I seriously can't stop laughing. I wonder what Dean thinks about a chicken's intelligence.

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/23/2007, 11:48 AM
http://www.disneymike.com/blog/whole_chicken.jpg

skycat
2/23/2007, 12:08 PM
exactly...they should be applauded for their efforts and school spirit.

that is some quality rivalry hate right there.

Apparently they were doing "chicken shake-downs" at the student entrances, so whoever got them in was quite enterprising.

This is something that has gone on for years, although it's mostly a basketball thing due to the scale of it, and since we've been so lousy in basketball it's kind of taken a hiatus.

I'm glad to see that the chickens are making a comeback.

OzarkSooner
2/23/2007, 12:27 PM

Don't you remember the story about the aggie that takes his pet duck on a double date to the movies? He hides the duck in his pants to take it into the movie...gets in, sits down and once the movie starts unzips his pants to let the duck get some air...The guy's date tells her friend that he just unzipped his pants and "took it out" what should she do and her friend says, "Just ignore it." She replies, "It's kind hard to ignore, it's eating my popcorn."

Ba Da Boom!

Flagstaffsooner
2/23/2007, 12:52 PM
PETA should Caaaaaawl For Super Chicken! (http://www.digital-sledgehammer.com/superchicken/)

mdklatt
2/23/2007, 01:32 PM
PETA should start concerning themselves with what happens to animals in Stillwater.

:eek:

Frozen Sooner
2/23/2007, 01:34 PM
I'm hardly a PETA fan, but you guys don't think throwing live chickens on the floor during a basketball game is a little inhumane?

royalfan5
2/23/2007, 01:54 PM
I'm hardly a PETA fan, but you guys don't think throwing live chickens on the floor during a basketball game is a little inhumane?
Chickens deserve everything that happens to them.

tommieharris91
2/23/2007, 02:00 PM
PETA should start concerning themselves with what happens to animals in Stillwater.

:eek:

They'd join right in.

Hamhock
2/23/2007, 02:03 PM

what's the root word in inhumane?

OUDoc
2/23/2007, 02:05 PM
Those chickens, who would otherwise be unable to afford a D-1 college sporting event, are being given prime seating and a chance to expand their dreams beyond a patch of dirt and chicken wire. And, while it's only K-State and not a decent D-1 school, they did get to see Kansas play. You guys would take that away from them? ;)

skycat
2/23/2007, 02:15 PM
Next year's chickens are going to get to see Michael Beasley and Bill Walker on the court playing the jayhawks.

I'm envious as hell.

IB4OU2
2/23/2007, 02:24 PM
If they were playing the pukes the chickens could of flown up and roosted on their rim.

fadada1
2/23/2007, 02:30 PM
inhumane??? possibly.

stupid and something we should expect from an aggie school??? absolutely.

mdklatt
2/23/2007, 03:03 PM
I just want to know one thing: Did the chickens have talons?

Frozen Sooner
2/23/2007, 03:11 PM
what's the root word in inhumane?

Whose behavior does it refer to?

Nice try.

Actually, not really.

GrapevineSooner
2/23/2007, 03:33 PM
I think PETA might actually have a point, here.

There.

I said it.

usmc-sooner
2/23/2007, 05:05 PM
I'd rather be on a basketball floor than a floor at the Tyson's chicken factory.

If I were a chicken.

Dio
2/23/2007, 10:03 PM
PETA v. K-State

This is a trick question, right?

homerSimpsonsBrain
2/23/2007, 11:18 PM
PETA...
People Eating Tasty Animals

ummmm Chicken

OklahomaTuba
2/24/2007, 12:36 AM
PETA.

What a great organization.

AHOSKIE, N.C. — Two employees of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (search) have been charged with animal cruelty after dumping dead dogs and cats in a shopping center garbage bin, police said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,159861,00.html

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/24/2007, 12:39 AM
I'm hardly a PETA fan, but you guys don't think throwing live chickens on the floor during a basketball game is a little inhumane?Mike, they are, for God'sake, CHICKENS! Would it help you if they were already fried or barbecued?

OUstud
2/24/2007, 12:40 AM
PETA is ghey.

2/24/2007, 12:42 AM
Those chickens, who would otherwise be unable to afford a D-1 college sporting event, are being given prime seating and a chance to expand their dreams beyond a patch of dirt and chicken wire. And, while it's only K-State and not a decent D-1 school, they did get to see Kansas play. You guys would take that away from them? ;)This is an important point!

Frozen Sooner
2/24/2007, 12:44 PM
Mike, they are, for God'sake, CHICKENS! Would it help you if they were already fried or barbecued?

As it happens, yes.

Would you consider it humane to torture a dog before putting it down at the pound? How about throwing it from the bleachers at a sporting event? It's going to die anyway, you know.

2/24/2007, 01:08 PM
As it happens, yes.

Would you consider it humane to torture a dog before putting it down at the pound? How about throwing it from the bleachers at a sporting event? It's going to die anyway, you know.So, how do you like your dog cooked? Personally, I don't have much of an appetite for dog.

Frozen Sooner
2/24/2007, 01:10 PM
That's nice. And irrelevant. But I'll bet you've eaten dog more often than you think you have.

You honestly don't think there's any difference between killing an animal for food and throwing it from a height at a sporting event?

royalfan5
2/24/2007, 01:16 PM
That's nice. And irrelevant. But I'll bet you've eaten dog more often than you think you have.

You honestly don't think there's any difference between killing an animal for food and throwing it from a height at a sporting event?
Well, a chicken can fly a little, so it's not like it would be dropping like a rock.

2/24/2007, 01:20 PM
Well, a chicken can fly a little, so it's not like it would be dropping like a rock.Exactly, they don't land with a "clunk" or a "splat", like a dog or a lobster would....besides, they are freakin' CHICKENS, for godsakes!

TheLurker
2/24/2007, 01:28 PM
http://www.razorfine.com/images/uploads/WKRP.jpg

As God is my witness, I thought chickens could fly.

skycat
2/24/2007, 09:51 PM

Height?

Dude, sorry, but you're going on here about something your not very familar with and haven't seen. Ever seen a chicken jump off a henhouse?

Maybe the fans of my school should have been classier and thrown a cell phone.;)

skycat
2/24/2007, 09:51 PM
http://www.razorfine.com/images/uploads/WKRP.jpg

As God is my witness, I thought chickens could fly.

Best part about this is that good ol' Gordon was a K-State grad.

OzarkSooner
2/24/2007, 10:53 PM
I guess the tip-off is when it rains...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,253999,00.html

sooner_born_1960
2/25/2007, 12:08 AM
Come on Mike, it's a chicken. Save your fight for something meaningful.

Ash
2/25/2007, 12:26 AM
I think we should throw live aggies onto Owen Field from the press boxes next year.

I second this.

Frozen Sooner
2/25/2007, 03:44 AM
Height?

Dude, sorry, but you're going on here about something your not very familar with and haven't seen. Ever seen a chicken jump off a henhouse?

Maybe the fans of my school should have been classier and thrown a cell phone.;)

I'm not "going on" about anything, nor am I fighting anything. I just don't think that PETA is all that unreasonable for objecting to throwing live chickens on the court.

If they were dead beforehand, no issue whatsoever.

edit: it was my impression on initial reading that the chickens were being killed by throwing them on the floor. On second reading, that doesn't look to be the case. In that case, I could give a crap. Throw 'em all you want. Hell, I've been known to throw animals on the ice at hockey games before.

2/25/2007, 11:15 AM

Hell, I've been known to throw animals on the ice at hockey games before.You have been turned in to 1) the AK offices of PETA, and to 2)the Sports Pavillions Anti-Desecration League of America. Your life will be made a living he*l for the next few months.

tbl
2/25/2007, 12:03 PM
I just want to know one thing: Did the chickens have talons?
Boy, I don't understand a word you just said...