PDA

View Full Version : Soldier gets 100 years from rape/killing in Iraq

royalfan5
2/23/2007, 10:25 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/22/ussoldier.rape.ap/index.html

yermom
2/23/2007, 10:28 AM
Sgt. Paul E. Cortez, 24, also was given a dishonorable discharge. He will be eligible for parole in 10 years under the terms of his plea agreement.

that doesn't seem very long...

fadada1
2/23/2007, 10:40 AM
that doesn't seem very long...
true, but we're not the ones spending the next 10 years of our lives in a 6X10 cage. still it's better than 100.

yermom
2/23/2007, 10:49 AM
getting out after 10 years when you killed a family so you could rape one of their daughters that is 14, and then kill her?

fadada1
2/23/2007, 11:00 AM
getting out after 10 years when you killed a family so you could rape one of their daughters that is 14, and then kill her?
no you're right, 10 years isn't very long. it should be a minimum of half the 100. he can still have a life when he gets out in 10.

KABOOKIE
2/23/2007, 11:16 AM

He's eligble for parole after 10. I'm pretty sure his request will be denied.

Okla-homey
2/23/2007, 11:41 AM
If he's lucky, he'll do his time at the US Disciplinary Barracks at Ft Leavenworth. As fed pens go, you could do much worse.

royalfan5
2/23/2007, 11:49 AM
If he's lucky, he'll do his time at the US Disciplinary Barracks at Ft Leavenworth. As fed pens go, you could do much worse.
As an aside, if you are doing time in Military prison, is it substantially different from Civilian Prison?

Okla-homey
2/23/2007, 12:12 PM
As an aside, if you are doing time in Military prison, is it substantially different from Civilian Prison?

Prolly less butt secks and the guards are GI's -- but not "Abu Grab" type GI's because they are properly trained MP's who are supervised by adults. Also, you are not around really horrible fellow inmates simply because your fellow inmates are all GI's who got in trouble for something or other but usually not wholesale killin' and rapin' or other violent crimes. Also, very little racial or ethnic polarization on the order of what you find in state pens.

In short, its ain't like being immersed in an environment where your fellow inmates have nothing to lose and would sooner slit your throat as look at you. Most inmates in military pens just wanna do their time and GTF out.

MamaMia
2/23/2007, 12:19 PM
It would serve him right should an inmate decide to have his way with Mr. Cortez.

fadada1
2/23/2007, 12:22 PM
Prolly less butt secks and the guards are GI's -- but not "Abu Grab" type GI's because they are properly trained MP's who are supervised by adults. Also, you are not around really horrible fellow inmates simply because your fellow inmates are all GI's who got in trouble for something or other but usually not wholesale killin' and rapin' or other violent crimes. Also, very little racial or ethnic polarization on the order of what you find in state pens.

In short, its ain't like being immersed in an environment where your fellow inmates have nothing to lose and would sooner slit your throat as look at you. Most inmates in military pens just wanna do their time and GTF out.
interesting you should mention that... i was in training in the navy with a couple guys that kidnapped/raped/killed a girl in norfolk. picked up the paper one day, and said, "i know those guys." long story with what they did. i think one guy was hooking up with the girl, and the other guy got jealous that she wasn't paying attention to him. the second guy was a "bad seed" and i think he didn't admit to actually killing the girl - so they both took the fall. just my thoughts on knowing these two guys for a short time. if i remember correctly, they both got 76 years. BUT, they didn't go to federal prison. they went into the "civilian" prison.

does anyone know if it's a military person, but commits a crime on a civilian, does that make it a non-federal prison sentence???

stoopified
2/23/2007, 12:29 PM
He's eligble for parole after 10. I'm pretty sure his request will be denied.Exactly.That is a truly shameful incident that should haunt ALL involved in the crime for not just the rest of their lives but for all eternity.

Harry Beanbag
2/23/2007, 05:41 PM
interesting you should mention that... i was in training in the navy with a couple guys that kidnapped/raped/killed a girl in norfolk. picked up the paper one day, and said, "i know those guys." long story with what they did. i think one guy was hooking up with the girl, and the other guy got jealous that she wasn't paying attention to him. the second guy was a "bad seed" and i think he didn't admit to actually killing the girl - so they both took the fall. just my thoughts on knowing these two guys for a short time. if i remember correctly, they both got 76 years. BUT, they didn't go to federal prison. they went into the "civilian" prison.

does anyone know if it's a military person, but commits a crime on a civilian, does that make it a non-federal prison sentence???

jk would probably be the expert on this, but I think it depends on where the crime is committed.

BigRedJed
2/23/2007, 05:45 PM
Guh.

jk the sooner fan
2/23/2007, 05:49 PM

all service members subject to the UCMJ, are also subject to local and state statutes......no double jeopardy, just depends on where the offense occurs as to how the locals handle it.....at fort hood, bell county hands almost everything over to the military.....other places, they give almost nothing....and if the civilians tried the service member, the military can do likewise afterwards...a service member could literally go from civilian jail straight to Leavenworth

Leavenworth is nothing like the gang infested state prisons, but it aint camp sunshine either......plenty of butt secks

jk the sooner fan
2/23/2007, 05:50 PM
federal time is day for day......no "good time" like in state prisons

i'd have to read the actual sentencing handed down from the judge to understand why they only got 10 years......could be that a deal had been made for some reason

jk the sooner fan
2/23/2007, 05:58 PM
ok, looks like they made this kid a deal where he's eligible for parole

its a shred of hope for him to hang on to in return for testimony....the chances of him actually getting parole after serving 1/10th of his sentence are equal to me being offered a moderator position by the fine folks here