PDA

View Full Version : Well, Arent we glad this guy didnt commit to us...

jccouger
2/22/2007, 04:44 PM
This couldve been Idiot squared....

COLUMBIA, S.C. - South Carolina quarterback recruit Stephen Garcia was suspended indefinitely Wednesday from participating in team activities less than a week after he was arrested and charged with drunkenness.

The decision by coach Steve Spurrier means Garcia will not be allowed participate in team weightlifting and running sessions until further notice, athletic department spokesman Steve Fink said.

Stephen Garcia was suspended indefinitely on Wednesday.
Spurrier would not talk about the arrest or the suspension, Fink said Wednesday.

Garcia, 19, was arrested early Saturday morning in a restaurant and nightclub district near the university and charged with drunkenness and failure to stop for a police officer.

An officer responding to an altercation said Garcia ran away from him and tried to hide in an alley, then turned toward the officer "in a threatening manner," according to an incident report.

Police say Garcia had been at a private party at a club when the incident occurred. Garcia was released from jail on a personal recognizance bond Saturday evening. A hearing on the charges scheduled for Wednesday was postponed until March 7.

The highly touted recruit out of Jefferson High in Tampa, Fla., enrolled at South Carolina last month.

Last year, South Carolina's starting quarterback Blake Mitchell also was charged in an incident in the same area near the campus. He was accused of punching a bouncer - an assault charge that was later dropped - and spent a few hours in jail.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=645177

Widescreen
2/22/2007, 05:10 PM
Big Red Sales may have an opening.

Sooner in Tampa
2/22/2007, 05:57 PM
You're right...a kid in college on his birthday weekend drinking alcohol.

THE HORROR!!!!

OU-HSV
2/23/2007, 08:52 AM
Yeah I read this story on foxsports a minute ago. Let's say we ended up landing him, then he got arrested in Norman...the media would make a huge deal out of this. Plus w/the whole ongoing "NCAA investigation"....probably would have been bad news.

stoopified
2/23/2007, 12:34 PM
Big Red Sales may have an opening.
Naw they wouldn't hire him.Stupid they will hire but not drunk AND stupid.

Seamus
2/23/2007, 01:49 PM
You're right...a kid in college on his birthday weekend drinking alcohol.

THE HORROR!!!!

Word to dat. At 18, you can vote to put an imbecile from either party in office. And you can get sent to Iraq to get your jibleys blown off by an IED. But you can't relax and knock down a few to celebrate your ascension into "manhood."

Nonsense.

This country has its priorities outta whack.

okienole3
2/23/2007, 01:56 PM
Yet we opened back, with open arms, the kid who got "drunk" and put two guys in the hospital.:rolleyes:

fwsooner22
2/23/2007, 02:10 PM
Yet we opened back, with open arms, the kid who got "drunk" and put two guys in the hospital.:rolleyes:

Yea but he was REALLY good.....its different;)

How many times was I chased down the alley running from the Jockey Strap on campus corner. Didn't everyone have that happen a time or two. Man, I miss college.................:( :(

colleyvillesooner
2/23/2007, 02:54 PM
Exacly, cause drinking in college on your birthday and hiding from the cops are the same thing.

fwsooner22
2/23/2007, 03:00 PM
Exacly, cause drinking in college on your birthday and hiding from the cops are the same thing.

Thats Funny :D :D

colleyvillesooner
2/23/2007, 03:57 PM
Way to stick to your guns, Spurrier.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/02/22/bc.fbc.scarolina.garcia.ap/index.html

Spurrier: QB recruit off suspension
Posted: Thursday February 22, 2007 5:42PM; Updated: Thursday February 22, 2007 7:14PM
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- South Carolina quarterback recruit Stephen Garcia was taken off suspension Thursday, just days after being barred from participating in team activities because he was arrested outside a bar near campus.

"After reviewing Stephen's situation, it has been decided that he will be able to participate in all team activities, including running and weightlifting, beginning immediately," Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier said in a statement released by the university.

Spurrier had suspended Garcia on Monday.

Garcia, 19, was arrested early Saturday morning in a restaurant and nightclub district near the university and charged with drunkenness and failure to stop for a police officer.

Defense attorney Neal Lourie said the status of the criminal case has not changed and Garcia's next court date is scheduled for March 7.

An officer responding to an altercation said Garcia ran away from him and tried to hide in an alley, then turned toward the officer "in a threatening manner," according to an incident report.

Unless Garcia requests a jury trial, the arresting officer will act as the prosecutor and a police spokeswoman said the officer would not be available for comment, said Lauren Leach, spokeswoman for the Columbia Police Department.

Garcia had been at a private party at a club when the incident occurred, according to the police report. He was released from jail on a personal recognizance bond Saturday evening.

The highly touted recruit out of Jefferson High in Tampa, Fla., enrolled at South Carolina last month.

Last year, South Carolina's starting quarterback Blake Mitchell also was charged in an incident in the same area near the campus. He was accused of punching a bouncer -- an assault charge that was later dropped -- and spent a few hours in jail.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

usmc-sooner
2/23/2007, 05:31 PM
I don't see it as a big deal, if I were 19 and drunk, which happened more that a time or two, and the cops were coming, I'd hide too.

colleyvillesooner
2/23/2007, 06:13 PM
Yes, but would you turn toward them "in a threatening manner"?

:D

usmc-sooner
2/23/2007, 06:22 PM
Yes, but would you turn toward them "in a threatening manner"?

:D

Is there any other manner :D

Sooner in Tampa
2/23/2007, 11:57 PM
Give me a Fu&*ing break...this kid could have outrun most cops in any town. This is much ado about nothing.

insuranceman_22
2/24/2007, 01:19 AM
Probably right, much ado about nothing. However if it happened in Norman to a Sooner Frosh, that's all you'd hear for a few day in the media. OU and South Carolina are just different on things like that.....at least with the media.

usmc-sooner
2/24/2007, 01:21 AM
Give me a Fu&*ing break...this kid could have outrun most cops in any town. This is much ado about nothing.

I agree

OU-HSV
2/24/2007, 04:14 PM
Probably right, much ado about nothing. However if it happened in Norman to a Sooner Frosh, that's all you'd hear for a few day in the media. OU and South Carolina are just different on things like that.....at least with the media.
Exactly..that's what I was saying.

47straight
2/28/2007, 12:15 PM
If I recall correctly from college, there's getting drunk, and then there's getting so drunk you actually get arrested for it. You don't want your star QB making the mistake of choice b).

snp
2/28/2007, 06:50 PM

And here comes the tinfoil hat brigade.

SleestakSooner
2/28/2007, 08:31 PM

Who was the second guy, and only after an extensive rehab and evaluation was he let back on the team. :rolleyes:

usmc-sooner
2/28/2007, 09:07 PM
Who was the second guy, and only after an extensive rehab and evaluation was he let back on the team. :rolleyes:

he also had a long history of alcohol abuse and violence, not to mention RB got busted a few times and didn't get tossed until the BRS&I, PT got a DUI and didn't get kicked off.

Take it easy kids do kid stuff, I know I did.

snp
2/28/2007, 09:18 PM
Take it easy kids do kid stuff, I know I did.

oh the horror.

okienole3
3/2/2007, 02:47 PM
this thread should be entitled "Glass Houses."

goingoneight
3/2/2007, 09:15 PM
I hate it when trouble-makers do this stuff to ruin their career. But I hate it even more when someone like Les Miles lets them get away with it.

colleyvillesooner
3/3/2007, 07:27 PM
Anyone want to stick up for him again? :D

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/03/03/bc.fbc.scarolina.garcia.ap/index.html

South Carolina recruit arrested again

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- South Carolina's highly touted quarterback recruit Stephen Garcia has been arrested again -- this time on a charge of malicious injury to personal property.

Garcia was arrested about noon Saturday after a visiting professor reported that Garcia had used a key to scratch the man's car parked near the university, Columbia police spokeswoman Sgt. Florence McCants said.

According to an arrest warrant, Adam Biggs told police he saw a man using a metal key to scratch the side of Biggs' car. Biggs, a Claflin professor who is teaching at South Carolina this semester, said his 2007 Toyota Corolla was parked on the side of a street near campus. Biggs confronted the man and asked his name.

According to a police report, the man identified himself as Stephen Garcia. When Biggs threatened to call police, the man offered to pay $500 for the damage to the car, according to the police report.

When police contacted Garcia, "the suspect stated to the officers he was aware of the allegation, but denied causing any damage" to Biggs' car.

In an earlier run-in with police, Garcia was arrested Feb. 17 and charged with drunkenness and failure to stop for a police officer. The 19-year-old recruit from Lutz, Fla., is not old enough to purchase alcohol. His court date was scheduled for March 7 in that case.

A telephone message left with Garcia's lawyer Neal Lourie was not immediately returned Saturday. Garcia was scheduled to be arraigned in bond court later Saturday.

Garcia, who enrolled at South Carolina in January after graduating early from high school, was suspended from the football team for four days after his earlier arrest.

South Carolina athletic department spokesman Steve Fink said Saturday he was unaware that Garcia had been arrested in the most recent case.

On Friday when news about the allegations first broke, head coach Steve Spurrier told The (Columbia) State that he believed "Stephen when he said he didn't scrape the kid's car."

"I'm going under the assumption that he's been falsely accused," Spurrier said. "He didn't even know the kid. I just don't believe he'd do that."

According to the arrest warrant, the damage to Biggs' car was estimated at more than $800.

snp
3/4/2007, 12:12 AM
Hahaha, now this is starting to get comical.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/4/2007, 12:21 AM
What a naughty boy

KingDavid
3/4/2007, 01:05 PM
ranks right up there with The Idiot.

goingoneight
3/5/2007, 02:13 AM
Did this kid sign with tha U???

Sooner in Tampa
3/5/2007, 06:20 AM
MEH...I got nothing. This kid is now officially a $h!thead.

sanantoniosooner
3/5/2007, 09:10 AM
It's just the niños releasing their wiggles.

Seamus
3/5/2007, 02:17 PM
Who was that osEwe receiver or running back that got caught with dope and was actually run down on foot by the Stoolwater cops a few years back?

Frozen Sooner
3/5/2007, 02:22 PM
Who was that osEwe receiver or running back that got caught with dope and was actually run down on foot by the Stoolwater cops a few years back?

BJ Tiger. I think he was a QB, though.

jccouger
3/6/2007, 06:10 PM
COLUMBIA, S.C. - South Carolina quarterback Stephen Garcia, arrested twice in recent weeks, will not participate in the Gamecocks' upcoming spring practice.

Garcia was arrested Saturday and accused of damaging a professor's car with a key. Last month, the 19-year-old was arrested and charged with drunkenness and failing to stop for a police officer.

"Stephen Garcia will be suspended from all football team activities through the end of this semester," Spurrier said in a statement Tuesday. "He will be expected to go to class and study hall but will not participate in any spring practices or team football meetings."

Spurrier said he hoped Garcia would make "an all-out effort to get his personal life in line with our other Carolina football players and eventually reach his full potential as a student-athlete."

On Monday, Garcia issued an apology to the professor, Spurrier, his teammates and fans.

The Gamecocks open spring practice March 20.

How long will this suspension last? 3 days?

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2007, 09:47 PM
OK, the slapfight with the OSU fan has been moved to the Smack folder. Anyone want to continue that particular discussion, head over there.

insuranceman_22
3/7/2007, 01:54 AM
They better call the King.....Barry can straighten him out!

Scott D
3/7/2007, 12:56 PM
OK, the slapfight with the OSU fan has been moved to the Smack folder. Anyone want to continue that particular discussion, head over there.

Son of Mr. Rich! KNEEL BEFORE ZOD! :D

stoopified
3/7/2007, 05:39 PM
Anyone want to stick up for him again? :D

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/03/03/bc.fbc.scarolina.garcia.ap/index.htmlThis guy obviously was a brain donor!:D