PDA

View Full Version : KOCO and RICK USING scare tactics

OUHOMER
2/22/2007, 06:08 AM
Ok, this really ****es me off. last night they come on saying we are going to have thunderstorms friday night. And we MAY HAVE NIGHT TIME TORNADOES like in FL. people could die, danger , danger.

I think this is over the top. now there might be tornadoes and there may not be. Why try and scare everybody.

I dont know maybe i am wrong but this really hit wrong. I think I may be done with KOCO.

jk the sooner fan
2/22/2007, 06:53 AM
isnt it their job to warn people? if they knew of the possibility and didnt say anything, and then people died.......they'd be grilled and sued

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/22/2007, 08:10 AM
It's Oklahoma. If there's even a possibility of a tornado, the weather dudes will be all over it. Gary England and Mike Morgan are the same way.

TheLurker
2/22/2007, 08:13 AM
weather terrorists.

yermom
2/22/2007, 09:13 AM
they sure were pimping that guy's tornado shelters...

Rhino
2/22/2007, 10:58 AM
KOCO was WAY over the top last night.

JohnnyMack
2/22/2007, 11:13 AM
Wind Pimps.

Boarder
2/22/2007, 11:29 AM
Again, I never watch the news anymore, but I record 5 minutes over on Lost just in case. Here is a pretty much direct quote from the start of 5 news:

You now have only 48 hours left to prepare for the possible tornado outbreak that's coming.

That's what they said. You only have 48 hours to prepare.

Like there's a comet heading toward earth or something.

How much you want to bet they're cutting into programming starting about 3 or 4 on Friday afternoon.

By JK: isnt it their job to warn people? if they knew of the possibility and didnt say anything, and then people died.......they'd be grilled and sued

That's the problem, they've now cried wolf so much no one is going to take them seriously. I don't.

jk the sooner fan
2/22/2007, 11:38 AM
yeah the weather men down here have gotten it wrong a bunch of times, but i dont know what else they can do........the one time they get it wrong when deaths are involved, then its a big deal

yermom
2/22/2007, 11:42 AM
nice touch showing the damage from FL and LA like we don't know what tornado damage looks like in OK :rolleyes:

jacru
2/22/2007, 12:12 PM
Tornad-hoes?

Stoop Dawg
2/22/2007, 12:14 PM
yeah the weather men down here have gotten it wrong a bunch of times, but i dont know what else they can do.......

Get it right?

Issue a warning without all the drama?

I don't think anyone is complaining about the weather people letting us know that conditions will be favorable for tornados, but all the "You only have 48 hours left to live!!!" crap is just stupid.

jk the sooner fan
2/22/2007, 12:17 PM
well i didnt see the report obviously, if it was over the top as everybody's saying, then so be it

but if the conditions are ripe for tornados', thats just what they're going to do

achiro
2/22/2007, 12:20 PM
KOCO was WAY over the top last night.
I'm glad I wasn;t the only one that thought that. '48 hours tro live!" "get your shelter put in now or DIE!" "Get your survival kit together now or DIE!" "Weather radios or DIE!" "Subscribe to our cell phone we drive you crazy plan, or DIE!":rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I told a couple of people this morning that if you were new to the state you would be scared to death now.

achiro
2/22/2007, 12:22 PM
well i didnt see the report obviously, if it was over the top as everybody's saying, then so be it

but if the conditions are ripe for tornados', thats just what they're going to do
He said we have a mild to moderate chance of severe weather that MAY include hail and tornadoes. This of course brings that actual chance down to a slim to none type of an actual tornado.Could it happen? Sure but good grief Charlie Brown.

jk the sooner fan
2/22/2007, 12:23 PM
you should all be writing the station manager at KOCO!!!!

Boarder
2/22/2007, 12:33 PM
you should all be writing the station manager at KOCO!!!!
I went to do just that. Here's an excerpt from today's "Weather Blog" by Rick Mitchell:

The well advertised storm system will approach the southern Plains by late in the day. Thunderstorms will likely fire up well to our west late Friday afternoon, or even more likely Friday evening in the Texas and Oklahoma panhandles. The storms will develop into the solid line that moves rapidly east across western and central Oklahoma. The timing of the line puts it into the OKC area around sunrise, and east of I-35 by 9 am. It will move across eastern Oklahoma the remainder of the morning, and it should be out of the state by early afternoon.

The main severe weather threats will be damaging wind and large hail. There is still a slight chance for an isolated tornado or two, however if they're going to happen, the most likely time will be late Friday when the storms are first developing to our west. That is when the instability is the greatest.

So, we went from having 48 hours to live to there may be a slight risk of a tornado or two.

And you wonder why people like me ignore it now? If you had seen the show last night you'd be amazed. I already deleted the Tivo or I'd post it.

Boarder
2/22/2007, 12:43 PM
Here's what I just wrote:

Hello. First of all, let me say that I no longer watch the news after years of watching every night. I Tivo Lost and have it go 5 minutes over, just in case, so I caught the first part of last night's news.

Why? Why on Earth did you people feel the need to go Armageddon on the viewers and say "You only have 48 hours left to prepare"? Are you trying to create a panic? Have you lost your mind? And, lo and behold, today's forcast says there MAY be a SLIGHT chance of tornados now. So we went from 48 hours until certain doom to "eh, there may or may not be wind".

There are a lot of people like me who have given up due to all of the panic inducing crying of wolf. I used to watch every single night but just can't take it any more. From WINTER BLAST 2007 (rain) to 48 HOURS TO LIVE! RUN! RUN! you've just lost it, dudes. You're doing a lot more harm than good.

The time is coming where the wolf will get the sheep and the townspeople won't help because you've cried wolf falsely too many times.

If you could tone it down a bit (A LOT) people may come back. I fully expect this to not get read since you have to prepare for cutting into progamming all night to say there's nothing going on.

It's sad what the finest weather predicting in the country that Oklahoma was has become. From now on, I use weatherportal.door. I open it and tell exactly what the weather is.

Thanks,

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/22/2007, 12:48 PM
'weatherportal.door'

Heh.

GrapevineSooner
2/22/2007, 01:12 PM
Sweeps month, people. ;)

Widescreen
2/22/2007, 01:18 PM
Last night, the weatherdude on WFAA in Dallas did the same thing. When my wife and I heard that we laughed because it seemed like unnecessary hysteria. So either various stations are in collusion on this or maybe the weather patterns are really concerning them. Interesting.

Is KOCO a national network affiliate? WFAA is ABC.

royalfan5
2/22/2007, 01:21 PM
Does everyone in Oklahoma just crack a beer and head out on to the porch when there is a tornado warning like we do in Nebraska?

Mjcpr
2/22/2007, 01:21 PM
Boarder's been gettin' fired up lately.

achiro
2/22/2007, 01:27 PM
Does everyone in Oklahoma just crack a beer and head out on to the porch when there is a tornado warning like we do in Nebraska?
Since all my adjacent neighbors are elderly and/or overweight, I hope not since these are suppose to be night tornado's. I don't need to see 'ol mrs williams sag-o-bags flappin in the wind.;)

Mjcpr
2/22/2007, 01:28 PM
Sounds like she has Chest o' Drawers disease.

soonerbrat
2/22/2007, 01:31 PM

pretty much...but i do keep an eye on the TV and where the thing is headed..my parents lost their house in 1998 and my dad almost didn't make it to the closet before the thing hit.

Sooner98
2/22/2007, 01:34 PM
How do you prepare for a tornado 48 hours in advance, anyway? Board up all the windows? Yeah, that will certainly hold up in those 250 mph winds. :rolleyes:

Eh, while it was probably over the top, I guess I just don't care enough to get upset by this.

Boarder
2/22/2007, 01:35 PM
Just so you know, you only have 34 hours to live, now.

LilSooner
2/22/2007, 01:45 PM
Again, I never watch the news anymore, but I record 5 minutes over on Lost just in case. Here is a pretty much direct quote from the start of 5 news:

You now have only 48 hours left to prepare for the possible tornado outbreak that's coming.

That's what they said. You only have 48 hours to prepare.

Like there's a comet heading toward earth or something.

How much you want to bet they're cutting into programming starting about 3 or 4 on Friday afternoon.

That's the problem, they've now cried wolf so much no one is going to take them seriously. I don't.

I got 5 on 1-2. Last year they made me so mad, I was in the office working one afternoon and they come blaring across the tv about a tornado that "on the ground" at the H.E. Bailey turnpike and high way 76. Well that is exactly where I used to live. Of course being the hillbilly that I am I run out side and the damn sun was shining.

My right boob can tell the weather better than those clowns.

IB4OU2
2/22/2007, 01:48 PM
Get ready to jump in your frady hole.....

http://www.gusty.us/images/Frady_Hole_150_c.JPG

Mjcpr
2/22/2007, 02:19 PM
I got 5 on 1-2. Last year they made me so mad, I was in the office working one afternoon and they come blaring across the tv about a tornado that "on the ground" at the H.E. Bailey turnpike and high way 76. Well that is exactly where I used to live. Of course being the hillbilly that I am I run out side and the damn sun was shining.

Can we ask it questions, like if we have an outdoor event planned or something?

IB4OU2
2/22/2007, 02:23 PM

Will it tells us if it's gonna be chilly and there's gonna be a nip in the air?

soonersweetie
2/22/2007, 03:36 PM
Get ready to jump in your frady hole.....

http://www.gusty.us/images/Frady_Hole_150_c.JPG

I miss Gusty! I used to watch Don Woods draw him all the time when I was a little girl.

Anyway, I'm hysterically laughing at your comments on the sensationalism in the weather depts.

You should be out here in San Diego where the weather story all night has been "we are about to receive a monster winter storm that will produce 1 1/2"-2" of rain in a 24 hour period." They are telling people to stay home and if you must get out and drive be prepared for long days. You would think that a monsoon was coming. :rolleyes:

Stoop Dawg
2/22/2007, 04:04 PM
It's sad what the finest weather predicting in the country that Oklahoma was has become.

Remember a little while back when one station was running ads about "count on us to keep your family safe". These people either have an inflated sense of self-importance or they just don't know any better. Maybe both.

GrapevineSooner
2/22/2007, 04:14 PM
Last night, the weatherdude on WFAA in Dallas did the same thing. When my wife and I heard that we laughed because it seemed like unnecessary hysteria. So either various stations are in collusion on this or maybe the weather patterns are really concerning them. Interesting.

Is KOCO a national network affiliate? WFAA is ABC.

I'd assume they still are. But I don't think network affiliation has anything to do with it.

Now if KOCO was a Belo-owned station like WFAA...

GrapevineSooner
2/22/2007, 04:16 PM
Is this is a special talent?

Or do you think my wife's right boob could also tell what's going on the with the weather as well?

apusooner
2/22/2007, 04:23 PM
I miss Gusty! I used to watch Don Woods draw him all the time when I was a little girl.

Anyway, I'm hysterically laughing at your comments on the sensationalism in the weather depts.

You should be out here in San Diego where the weather story all night has been "we are about to receive a monster winter storm that will produce 1 1/2"-2" of rain in a 24 hour period." They are telling people to stay home and if you must get out and drive be prepared for long days. You would think that a monsoon was coming. :rolleyes:
i have found that funny since i moved to LA too. in fact my mom was visiting last week and she was laughing at the weather people for freaking out over sprinkles. they will cut to a live report of a leaf floating down the road into a drain hole on the side of the road and warn people to stay inside. the sad part is it really does screw traffic up. people seem to speed up when the roads get wet. it's like they enjoy hydroplaning in a parking lot that moves at 80 miles an hour. the thing is you only get to go 80 for about 3 min until you have to come to a complete stop when it is dry, let alone wet.
we are supposed to be getting a "winter storm" tomorrow, and i wouldn't be surprised to see people building arcs in preparation for the misting we might get. i'm goign to feel bad if it really does pour though and i'm the only one without a boat.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/22/2007, 04:32 PM

My girlfriend has you beat, she can always tell if it is raining by feeling her boobs, it's almost like she has ESPN!!!!

Widescreen
2/22/2007, 04:35 PM
My girlfriend has you beat, she can always tell if it is raining by feeling her boobs, it's almost like she has ESPN!!!!
Can you tell if it's raining by feeling her boobs? I'm just trying to isolate where her ability actually lies.

Howzit
2/22/2007, 04:47 PM
Boarder's been gettin' fired up lately.

That's because he reads all our peels now.

Mjcpr
2/22/2007, 04:53 PM
That's because he reads all our peels now.

Peel this.

Howzit
2/22/2007, 04:59 PM
Peel this.
:les: IS YOUR PEEL MACHINE BROKE OR SOMETHIN'?!?!?!?

NormanPride
2/22/2007, 05:02 PM
Things really are supposed to explode this weekend. First warm weather we've had = insta storms.

Ike
2/22/2007, 05:14 PM
Out here the weather people go nuts for Lake effect snow....They love that stuff. And rain too.

During the rare times when there is a tornado (so far, all the ones I have seen have been way way south of the city), they don't even bat an eye...they may interrupt programming for like 5 minutes, just to say "yeah, we've got a tornado out there in the boonies, but since that represents like half of half of a percent of our viewership, we're just gonna tell em to duck real quick and get back to your shows."

NormanPride
2/22/2007, 05:29 PM
My bachelor's party is Saturday. I just KNOW that I'm gonna get drunk and do something stupid with a Tornado.

OUHOMER
2/22/2007, 05:53 PM
here is what i sent

I thought the weather broadcast about the impending doom last night was over the top. YOU only have 24 hours before doom and gloom was too much. How about, we may have severe weather in the state Friday night. Its time to start thinking about your Tornado preparedness.

Do you realize how many people heard nothing but HEY we are all going to die? I know a few people who survived the May 3rd tornado. One couple was ready to take off work Friday and leave the state for the weekend. My goodness, driving people out of the state for your rating is too much. Oh showing the devastation of the night time tornados that hit FL was a nice touch.

If there is a weather issue by all means, warn us. But wait until there is a threat.

OUHOMER

JohnnyMack
2/22/2007, 06:02 PM
here is what i sent

I thought the weather broadcast about the impending doom last night was over the top. YOU only have 24 hours before doom and gloom was too much. How about, we may have severe weather in the state Friday night. Its time to start thinking about your Tornado preparedness.

Do you realize how many people heard nothing but HEY we are all going to die? I know a few people who survived the May 3rd tornado. One couple was ready to take off work Friday and leave the state for the weekend. My goodness, driving people out of the state for your rating is too much. Oh showing the devastation of the night time tornados that hit FL was a nice touch.

If there is a weather issue by all means, warn us. But wait until there is a threat.

OUHOMER

His reply:

:rcmad:**** YOU! I AM TEH WIND PIMP!!!!!!!!11:mad:

MamaMia
2/22/2007, 06:34 PM
How do you prepare for a tornado 48 hours in advance, anyway? Board up all the windows? Yeah, that will certainly hold up in those 250 mph winds. :rolleyes:

Eh, while it was probably over the top, I guess I just don't care enough to get upset by this.Lower all the windows, put a helmet on, strap pillows to your body with some duct tape, get in the middle of your house and pray? ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/22/2007, 10:06 PM
Well if we are in the rain, we can 40% tell you if it is raining or not ;)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/23/2007, 12:15 AM
My bachelor's party is Saturday. I just KNOW that I'm gonna get drunk and do something stupid with a Tornado.It'll be asking for it, I'm sure.

SoonerGirl06
2/23/2007, 01:07 AM
They've stopped being newscasters and forecasters and are now "Info-tainers".

They don't care how they report it just as long as they report it and get those ratings.

You'd think after the F-5 hit in 1998 (I think that's when it was) they'd behave themselves and knock this kinda stuff off.

OUHOMER
2/23/2007, 05:49 AM
I noticed they were not as dramtic last night.

oklaclarinet
2/23/2007, 07:53 AM
They've stopped being newscasters and forecasters and are now "Info-tainers".

They don't care how they report it just as long as they report it and get those ratings.

You'd think after the F-5 hit in 1998 (I think that's when it was) they'd behave themselves and knock this kinda stuff off.

1999 actually (May 3 to be specific)

soonerbrat
2/23/2007, 01:39 PM

there was a smaller one in 1998 that hit frontier city..in June sometime.

mdklatt
2/23/2007, 02:18 PM
It's a been awhile since we've had any severe thunderstorms, and long, long time since we've had any tornadoes. When you realize that people forget how to drive in the rain after a couple of weeks, it's not unreasonable to get people thinking about tornado season again. Plus, there may be people new to the area who have no idea what to do during a tornado.

I'm sure the local news bozos are being completely over the top as usual, but it's better to say something than nothing at all.

Boarder
2/23/2007, 02:45 PM
We shouldn't even be posting with less than nine hours to LIVE!

jccouger
2/23/2007, 03:31 PM
We shouldn't even be posting with less than nine hours to LIVE!

I've moved my computer into the most center closet I have and I'm camping out here. I have enough food and water in here to last a couple months. I hope I'm prepared enough....

SoonerGirl06
2/23/2007, 03:34 PM

Thanks... long day at work and a couple glasses of wine can make the brain a little fuzzy.