PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on San Antonio/Austin (?)

SeattleOUstudent
2/22/2007, 12:16 AM
Thinkin about getting away for the weekend with the girlfriend here in a couple weeks...Can anyone give me some informations about good (nice) hotels to stay in or things to do in either city.

By nice hotels, Im talking like ZaZa here in Dallas...not like a crappy chain hotel.

Is Austin perhaps a better place to go for 2 nights? I was considering SA because of the river walk, mexican food, etc...

TIA

OklahomaTuba
2/22/2007, 12:24 AM
Well, if you need some corn hole action, Austin would be the place to go I hear.

skycat
2/22/2007, 01:32 AM
The Driskill/ (http://www.driskillhotel.com/) is about as fancy as you get in Austin. It's right downtown and it's very nice. My wife and I stayed there one night just for the heck of it.

I don't have any insight for you for San Antonio.

trwxxa
2/22/2007, 08:18 AM
If you and the significant other are into this sort of thing, there are plenty of B&Bs in Fredricksburg on the Texas Wine Trail. Pretty relaxing weekend.
www.texaswinetrail.com

In San Antone, I 've heard the Emily Morgan is "quaint". It is downtown within walking distance to everything.

King Crimson
2/22/2007, 08:45 AM
Well, if you need some corn hole action, Austin would be the place to go I hear.

says the voice of experience. SA is pretty cool town, IMO.

jk the sooner fan
2/22/2007, 08:47 AM
what exactly do you want to do when you're not in your hotel room?

sanantoniosooner
2/22/2007, 08:49 AM
I'll have that Puerto Rican kicked out in less than a week.

Then we'll have an extra room available.

OklahomaTuba
2/22/2007, 08:59 AM
says the voice of experience.
You saying you have experience with austin?

;)

C&CDean
2/22/2007, 09:07 AM
San Antonio/Austin? Over rated, clap, clap, blah blah blah...

TexasLidig8r
2/22/2007, 09:48 AM
San Antonio... cheap, chain restaurants next to the Riverwalk, which is basically a slowly rolling mudstream and once you're through eating and drinking.. uh.. well.. there's the Alamo.. and then.. uh.. well...

Austin... Yes.. the Driskill.... http://www.driskillhotel.com/

or.. Lakeway Resort and Spa.. it's away from the 6th street crowds and you have access to golf.

or.. the Four Seasons on Town Lake has some nice suites.. you're on the lake, closer to everything.

Hiking trails, art galleries, good restaurants in Austin (check out the exotic dishes at Fonda San Miguel).

And contrary to popular opinion on here.. you won't be assaulted by groups of roving homosexuals or raving lunatic UT fans.

King Crimson
2/22/2007, 09:52 AM
You saying you have experience with austin?

;)

naw, joke is still on you sweet pea.:D

SoonerStormchaser
2/22/2007, 10:25 AM
Austin sucks...and we all know why!

San Anton? Well, my parents live in San Marcos, so the luster is worn off this area for me BIG TIME. But overall, there's a whole lot more to do in San Antonio than there is in Austin...or Dallas for that matter.

NormanPride
2/22/2007, 10:29 AM
The Tower of Americas in SA has been fixed up pretty well, Lid is a tool, La Cantera is a really nice shopping center, Lid doesn't like the lack of gay bars in SA, Sea World is always a nice trip as well as Fiesta Texas, Lid has inferiority issues with cities that obviously have 10x the history and class, etc., etc...

jk the sooner fan
2/22/2007, 10:43 AM
it really depends on what you want to do while you're getting away for a weekend

fiesta season is approaching soon, and hotel rates in san antonio will be thru the roof......if you want a nice hotel with a view so you can shack up in the room all weekend and be nekkid, then go to austin, because they have the same variety of eateries and such that you'll need during any respite

if you want to get out and see the town and do things, then i'd go to san antonio

NormanPride
2/22/2007, 10:58 AM
Oh man, go during Fiesta! Get drunk and eat a lot of great food. Nailing your friends over the head with cascarones is also fun. :D

TexasLidig8r
2/22/2007, 11:10 AM
The Tower of Americas in SA has been fixed up pretty well, Lid is a tool, La Cantera is a really nice shopping center, Lid doesn't like the lack of gay bars in SA, Sea World is always a nice trip as well as Fiesta Texas, Lid has inferiority issues with cities that obviously have 10x the history and class, etc., etc...

WOW.. someone pee in your cheerios this morning Homeslice?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/22/2007, 02:03 PM
And contrary to popular opinion on here.. you won't be assaulted by groups of raving lunatic UT fans.If he's wearing his Sooner duds he will be.
STAY IN NEW BRAUNFELS! The Guadalupe River from Canyon Lake dam down to NB is truly beautiful, and you can shoot up to Gayston or down to Little Mexico with ease.

NormanPride
2/22/2007, 02:17 PM
WOW.. someone pee in your cheerios this morning Homeslice?

;) Not my fault SA rocks the socks off of Austin so hard.

IB4OU2
2/22/2007, 02:35 PM
Go to the Lonestar Brewery in SA, get drunk and walk around looking at all the dead animals...

sanantoniosooner
2/22/2007, 03:49 PM
Dean recommends Mi Tierra at the Mexican Market

Ruuuuuufus
2/22/2007, 07:24 PM
Mi Tierra is a great place... I think it's open 24 hrs a day so it's great if you get the munchies late.

The Emily Morgan is a decent place, but not really anything special. It's been a few years since I've stayed there but I remember their elevators being really slow.

BoogercountySooner
2/22/2007, 07:30 PM
La Fogata's is good eats as well. Gruene has a nice veiw of the river and theres good eats at the Grist Mill. Theres a neat old salloon next door to the Grist Mill where they filmed the dance scene from the movie Michael at.

soonerboomer93
2/22/2007, 08:37 PM
you will be assaulted by groups of roving homosexuals or raving lunatic UT fans.

atleast you're honest