PDA

View Full Version : Where to live in OKC????

jrsooner
2/21/2007, 06:20 PM
Hey guys... a friend of mine just took a position with Devon Energy and is relocating to OKC. He's an older guy that'll be retiring in a few years. He's looking for a quiet area that also nice. We were both up for the same position, he beat me out. I told him I'd be in Norman so fast if I was chosen, but that may be a little bit louder than what he wants since it's a college town.

Any suggestions for nice areas for him to look?

THANKS!

SicEmBaylor
2/21/2007, 06:25 PM
Don't live in Purcell.

Hamhock
2/21/2007, 06:25 PM
tulsa

SicEmBaylor
2/21/2007, 06:26 PM
tulsa
Spek.

soonersis
2/21/2007, 06:27 PM
I love the area I'm in. SW 164th and S. Santa Fe. It's pretty much where Moore, OKC, and Norman meet. Very quiet, not many kids, and it's about 2 miles from all the new resturants and stores that are popping up in Moore alon I-35.

Mjcpr
2/21/2007, 06:28 PM
He beat you out for the position?

I'd suggest Lawton.

usmc-sooner
2/21/2007, 06:30 PM
Mustang, Yukon, Norman, Moore, Edmond any place just outside OKC

jrsooner
2/21/2007, 06:45 PM
He beat you out for the position?
I'd suggest Lawton.I know, I was up for 2 different positions .. the Devon and a consulting firm down here for Shell. I won the Shell position. This Devon position is a good fit for him. I'm glad he was able to find something quickly after the layoffs in January.

SicEmBaylor
2/21/2007, 07:12 PM
Except Purcell

Jimminy Crimson
2/21/2007, 07:19 PM
Any of the old school neighborhoods in OKC. Heritage Hills, Mesta Park, Crown Heights, Nichols Hills.

There are a lot of oil peeps in those areas.

Boarder
2/21/2007, 07:39 PM
Norman's not loud at all. You'd never know there was a college there if it weren't for football weekends. And, that whole stadium seen above everything while driving around thing.

Turd_Ferguson
2/21/2007, 08:35 PM
What's wrong with Purcell? Besides dodgin the Purcell Swat Team while driving through town, there is always Joe's Famous Pizza....Mmmmm.

TF

OUAndy1807
2/21/2007, 10:21 PM
Depending on income level and interest in culture, I would say he should check out the historic neighborhoods in OKC.

oklaclarinet
2/21/2007, 10:23 PM

However, there are a lot of areas still inside OKC proper that are more like those suburbs than the central part of the city. SW OKC (the area west of Moore), the area north of Lake Hefner, just west of Edmond, and the growth between Mustang and Yukon are all examples of places that are technically in OKC but feel like a suburb.

That being said, I am partial to the SW side of the city, as that is where I grew up. It puts you within a decent driving distance of just about anywhere in the metro you want to go, and the neighborhoods are nice.

Zbird
2/21/2007, 10:32 PM
YUKON - quiet small town feel - good schools (for his grand kids) between Surrey hills golf course and the one just south of I-40 if he's a golfer. Good community center with gyms on both sides of town. Lower taxes than OKC if you're not actually at an OKC address. We've enjoyed it for the last 32 years.

OUAndy1807
2/21/2007, 10:36 PM
also, if he wants a more urban lifestyle without the hastle of home maintenance there are a lot of lofts and upscale apartments around OKC.

reevie
2/22/2007, 07:42 AM
I love the area I'm in. SW 164th and S. Santa Fe. It's pretty much where Moore, OKC, and Norman meet. Very quiet, not many kids, and it's about 2 miles from all the new resturants and stores that are popping up in Moore alon I-35.

I live in this general area as well and really like it. But I'd have to ask your friend what is it he's looking for in a location, or than quiet.

Hamhock
2/22/2007, 09:34 AM
tulsa

sooner_born_1960
2/22/2007, 09:44 AM
I hear anything around SW 59th and Shields is pretty nice.

soonerbrat
2/22/2007, 09:57 AM

Not nice!

if he opts for the southside, go WAY south. I prefer Edmond, but there are some nice new areas in Yukon..depends on the price range too..will find cheaper houses in Yukon/Mustang area and on the southside than on the north side or edmond. whatever he does..tell him not to go to the EAST side of OKC.

King Crimson
2/22/2007, 09:57 AM

hell yeah. that's where i live. i'm the guy in the mesh T, feathered hair, and jeans shorts blasting More Than a Feeling out my 82 stick automatic Camaro.

Moore High 1978 baby, 1998, 2008 who cares.....still working it.

soonerbrat
2/22/2007, 09:58 AM
hell yeah. that's where i live. i'm the guy in the mesh T, feathered hair, and jeans shorts blasting More Than a Feeling out my 82 Camaro.

Moore High 1978 baby, still working it.

mesh t? i thought I saw you in a metallica shirt...

King Crimson
2/22/2007, 10:00 AM
i'm keeping it real brat. Metallica sold out after AJFA.....haven't you read?

Boston, they are always rocking.

Boarder
2/22/2007, 11:18 AM
What's wrong with Purcell? Besides dodgin the Purcell Swat Team while driving through town, there is always Joe's Famous Pizza....Mmmmm.

TF
I grew up in Purcell. Don't live in Purcell.

Drive to Purcell and eat at Jo's every once in a while. Then leave immediately, not exceeding the speed limit lest you be ticketed.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/22/2007, 11:20 AM
Isn't Mesta Park the neighborhood just North of Downtown. That is a nice area with historic houses, and I believe very close to the Devon HQ downtown...

The Mrs and I drove through there and thought about retiring to that neighborhood in 20 years...

soonerbrat
2/22/2007, 11:26 AM
Isn't Mesta Park the neighborhood just North of Downtown. That is a nice area with historic houses, and I believe very close to the Devon HQ downtown...

The Mrs and I drove through there and thought about retiring to that neighborhood in 20 years...

yep..Mesta Park and Heritage Hills around the same area north of downtown

Flagstaffsooner
2/22/2007, 12:10 PM
I live west of town, roughly the 490000 block of Rt 66.:D