PDA

View Full Version : Former President George H.W. Bush at OU March 7

Rhino
2/21/2007, 04:46 PM
Why they insist on having these at Catlett and not the LNC is beyond me.

Wed February 21, 2007
Former President Bush to visit OU (http://newsok.com/article/3016338/)
By James S. Tyree
Staff Writer

NORMAN — Former President George H.W. Bush, father of the current president, is scheduled to visit the University of Oklahoma on March 7.

Bush will participate in a discussion about the American presidency and the history and evolution of presidential duties. The session will be at 4 p.m. in the Paul F. Sharp Concert Hall of Catlett Music Center, 500 W. Boyd St.

Other speakers will be presidential historian David McCullough and former presidential aides Jack Valenti, chief of staff to President Lyndon B. Johnson, and Kenneth Duberstein, who served as chief of staff to President Ronald Reagan.

A President's Associates dinner and panel discussion, featuring Valenti and Duberstein, will follow at 6:30 p.m. in the Molly Shi Boren Ballroom in Oklahoma Memorial Union, 900 Asp Ave.

"The university is extremely honored to welcome back to the campus George H.W. Bush, 41st President of the United States,” said OU President David Boren. "He was our commencement speaker in 1997. The dialogue between President Bush and presidential historian David McCullough, which our students will have a chance to experience, will be one of the most important discussions held in recent years about the presidency as an institution.”

Bush was the first sitting vice president elected to the presidency since Martin Van Buren in 1837, and he was only the second U.S. president to serve a full term without party control in either chamber of Congress.

Rhino
2/21/2007, 04:48 PM
Are you ready to discredit the left?
Are you ready to discredit the right?

On your mark
Get set

GO!

Petro-Sooner
2/21/2007, 04:49 PM
I cant wait to find out who is giving the commencement speech this year.

Jimminy Crimson
2/21/2007, 05:14 PM
Gore on the 1st
Bush on the 7th

Is Nader scheduled for the 13th? ;)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/21/2007, 05:33 PM
Gore on the 1st
Bush on the 7th

Is Nader scheduled for the 13th? ;)No, Colbert is though.

SicEmBaylor
2/21/2007, 06:23 PM
Bush 41 was a "wet", a moderate, a squish, and not all that effective as President.

But regardless of all that the man is incredibly honest, classy, and faithful public servant that deserves respect.

That is all.

GottaHavePride
2/21/2007, 06:28 PM
Why they insist on having these at Catlett and not the LNC is beyond me.Keeps out the riff-raff? ;)

SoonerDood
2/21/2007, 06:43 PM
Keeps out the riff-raff? ;)
yeah remember the Cletus who interrupted Giuliani to blame Wal-Mart for 9/11?

King Crimson
2/21/2007, 06:49 PM
I cant wait to find out who is giving the commencement speech this year.

vlad lenin or Putin, probably. higher education does nothing but indoctrinate young people into liberal ideology.

KaiserSooner
2/21/2007, 09:09 PM
Awesome. I'd be willing to take off work for that one, too.

OklahomaTuba
2/22/2007, 12:01 AM
It would be really cool if you catch the old man talking about his WW2 days.

Few people know that out of the dozen or so people left floating in the pacific after their planes went down during an assualt on a Japanese target, he was one of two or three survivors. I understand a few got eaten alive by sharks even.

The guy that jumped out of the plane with Bush didn't make it, as his chute didn't open.

Amazing to think that out of all those people that died that day, one SURVIVOR would become a US President. (oops)

SicEmBaylor
2/22/2007, 12:14 AM
Amazing to think that out of all those people that died that day, one would become a US President.

That's a pretty amazing claim!

Ike
2/22/2007, 12:16 AM
Amazing to think that out of all those people that died that day, one would become a US President.

Are you implying the George H. W. Bush is a zombie? :eek:

OklahomaTuba
2/22/2007, 12:17 AM
That's a pretty amazing claim!
Well, it was always a rumor. I just confirmed it. ;)

OklahomaTuba
2/22/2007, 12:20 AM
Are you implying the George H. W. Bush is a zombie? :eek:

Hey, its not like we all didn't suspect it.

King Crimson
2/22/2007, 12:24 AM
zombie or robot, it was hard to tell.