PDA

View Full Version : Animal in dryer vent

Boomer.....
2/21/2007, 02:59 PM
I think that I have some kind of an animal caught in my dryer vent. For the last two days at lunch, I have heard some kind of scratching on the wall behind the laundry area. I think that the only place it could be is the dryer vent. The weird thing is that the dryer vent is on the roof (looks like a pipe shaped like an upside down "J"). By the scratching, I thought it was a mouse or rat, but how would it get into the vent? I just read that birds sometimes make nests in the Spring in rooftop dryer vents, so it could be that. I need to get that bastard out. Anyone else have a similar situation or hear of anything like this?

tbl
2/21/2007, 03:01 PM
Turn the dryer on full blast for 3 hours straight. That should get it about medium /medium well.

Mjcpr
I think it's IB4OU2's leg.

NormanPride
Birds can make nests in there, or just take the dryer lint to create nests. That's what usually happens to me. My cat goes INSANE.

IB4OU2
2/21/2007, 03:03 PM
I think it's IB4OU2's leg.

:mad: :D

JohnnyMack
2/21/2007, 03:04 PM
It's a bird.

Had one build a nest like that in college once.

Boomer.....
2/21/2007, 03:05 PM
Turn the dryer on full blast for 3 hours straight. That should get it about medium /medium well.

I don't want the damn thing dying in there and stinking up the place.

StoopTroup
2/21/2007, 03:05 PM
I't's probably aliens.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview/signs/alien.jpg

Boomer.....
2/21/2007, 03:07 PM
Birds can make nests in there, or just take the dryer lint to create nests. That's what usually happens to me. My cat goes INSANE.

It's a bird.

How did you get it out?

Do birds make scratching noises?

IB4OU2
2/21/2007, 03:07 PM
It's a bird.

Nestbuilding 101...

Boomer.....
2/21/2007, 03:08 PM
I't's probably aliens.
Nope, already sprayed for aliens.

StoopTroup
2/21/2007, 03:10 PM
Liquid Sevin?

Boomer.....
2/21/2007, 03:13 PM
Liquid Sevin?
I don't want the thing to rot in my vent.

JohnnyMack
2/21/2007, 03:38 PM
How did you get it out?

Do birds make scratching noises?

My roommate and I unhooked the dryer, pulled it away from the wall and waited for the bird to fly into the apartment (which didn't take long). Then we opened the front door and ushered it out with a broom.

Before doing this of course we made sure the external vent was good and sealed up so he/she/it couldn't get back in.

The scratching noise is the birds feet on the vent.

I will say however that if el chupacubra is in your dryer vent and by trying my technique you end up dead, I'm sorry in advance.

Boomer.....
2/21/2007, 03:50 PM
I was planning on unhooking the vent and seeing if anything came out after work. I just hope that SicEm's vampire bunny doesn't come hopping out. Please pray for me!

LilSooner
2/21/2007, 03:54 PM
It definitely could be a rat of some kind. My mom once made me get behind the dryer and reach my hand up the dryer pipe to clean it out. There was a damn crispy fried rat up in there, and when I screamed she pushed the dryer back towards the wall and would let me get out from behind it until I finished cleaning out the pipe.

I really hated my mom when I was younger.

Boomer.....
2/21/2007, 03:56 PM
Did you have a dryer vent on the roof or outside of the house?

LilSooner
2/21/2007, 04:13 PM
Did you have a dryer vent on the roof or outside of the house?

If your talking to me it was on the outside of the house.

Boomer.....
2/21/2007, 04:17 PM
If your talking to me it was on the outside of the house.
That's what is weird about mine. It is on the roof, but the scratching sounds like mice or rats. I guess I will find out tonight.