PDA

View Full Version : Husker take on why Keller chose NU over OU

Blitzkrieg
2/21/2007, 11:13 AM
http://65.98.70.3/vbbs/showthread.php?t=36940

The Bottom Line:

That’s why Sam Keller passed on all those phone calls from Bob Stoops and went straight to Lincoln---to immerse himself in a quick-study of an NFL offense.

A similar apprenticeship is why some of our assistant coaches came. Shawn Watson made that clear. From Watson at Colorado in January 2004:

"Knowing Billy---he's one of the top guys right now in the country---NFL and college---at running that offense. He and Jon Gruden took it to another level.

"There's not many people who know it. Basically that group has been so tight, and it's so hard to get in that loop because everybody keeps it pretty top secret."

Watson figured out a way to get in. So have others (e.g., specifically, Norvell and Gilmore). There'll be more.

"Hellen" Keller has yet to wina game, and the NFL genius Callahan was taken to OT by KU and THRASHED by Gundy and Okie Lite. The last time I check, they were sporting a 2 game losing streak. It must be some master plan by the all knowing Hill-Billy Callahan.

We are so fortunate to be 3-0 versus this mensa quality coach. How'd we ever beat him?

sooner94
2/21/2007, 11:32 AM
I agree with you Blitz. I wouldn't call Callahan a genius from what I saw in the Cotton Bowl. He made a couple of decisions that probably cost his team the game.

Not sure why this idiot gets any respect. I think he needs to earn it first.

fadada1
2/21/2007, 11:40 AM
and why would we need sam keller?

snp
2/21/2007, 01:11 PM
Because he is better than any other QB on campus right now.

OUDoc
2/21/2007, 01:34 PM
All the answers to life can be found on internet message boards.

usmc-sooner
2/21/2007, 01:48 PM
I hope he finds a good coke dealer in Lincoln.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/21/2007, 01:57 PM
Is Keller the ASU guy?

And, not much on NFL, but isn't the offense we run also an "NFL" offense?

soonerboy_odanorth
2/21/2007, 02:07 PM
The last time I check[ed], they were sporting a 2 game losing streak.

In the spirit of piling on....

And their NFL offense scored a grand total of 21 points in those games against college defenses.

Then again that is an NFL offense if we're talking about the Texans...

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/21/2007, 02:12 PM
All the answers to life can be found on internet message boards.

Where is the "Meaning of Life" thread?

NormanPride
2/21/2007, 02:20 PM
our offense isn't an nfl offense, it's a WINNING offense.

you know, conference and national championship WINNING offense.

cally, on the other hand, has a LOSING offense. you know, LOSE the conference, LOSE the cotton bowl, LOSE your temper after the game?

(this is badger, not np. still haven't found the "sign out" button)

OUDoc
2/21/2007, 02:39 PM
Where is the "Meaning of Life" thread?
I think it's on the BYU football board. ;)

sooner518
2/21/2007, 10:57 PM
that "NFL" offense sure burned us for 7 whole points.

Im not really sure what makes an offense an "NFL offense", but good luck to Keller.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/21/2007, 11:05 PM
whoever recruited Arizona for the bugeaters kicked a*s. The nebbish got 4 or 5 of the best players in the state. I believe they recruited Arizona better than both U of A and ASU. They also beat OU out of a 4-star lineman, who committed just before we forgot to play Boise State.

King Crimson
2/21/2007, 11:44 PM
OK. Shawn Watson/NFL.

LOL.

NorthernIowaSooner
2/22/2007, 11:52 AM
whoever recruited Arizona for the bugeaters kicked a*s. The nebbish got 4 or 5 of the best players in the state. I believe they recruited Arizona better than both U of A and ASU. They also beat OU out of a 4-star lineman, who committed just before we forgot to play Boise State.

i agree with that, wonder what they saw on their visits that was so great. if i had a choice id never leave arizona for nebraska, its probably the most boring state in the country

2/22/2007, 12:18 PM
i agree with that, wonder what they saw on their visits that was so great. if i had a choice id never leave arizona for nebraska, its probably the most boring state in the countryNo clue, but there is an Arizona-nebbish pipeline. Arizona is BLISTERING hot during most of the football season. Maybe the kids want a major change of pace.

tommie15
2/22/2007, 01:48 PM
No clue, but there is an Arizona-nebbish pipeline. Arizona is BLISTERING hot during most of the football season. Maybe the kids want a major change of pace.

Hopefully we find the next Mike Brown in there somewhere.

The coach who recruited those kids was Bill Busch. All the kids knew each other from AAU bball, so once we got one, it was kind of a chain reaction.

Oh, and about Keller. Callahan did coordinate a Super Bowl offense. It hasn't translated well to the college game so well yet, but maybe Keller will complete the puzzle. I think you guys saying you didn't want him are kidding yourselves; the guy's a first round talent.

royalfan5
2/22/2007, 01:52 PM
i agree with that, wonder what they saw on their visits that was so great. if i had a choice id never leave arizona for nebraska, its probably the most boring state in the country
Says the guy dumb enough to live in Iowa. At least Nebraska has some diversity to the state instead of a bunch of the same ****ing thing, and isn't filled with people who can't drive.

Do you know what Iowa actually stands for?
In Omaha Without Asking.

Seamus
2/22/2007, 02:17 PM
In Omaha Without Asking.

I've submitted this to top researchers at MIT, the Jet Propulsion Lab and the Brooklyn Academy of Comedy, and we'll be damned if we can figure out why this is funny.

royalfan5
2/22/2007, 02:31 PM
I've submitted this to top researchers at MIT, the Jet Propulsion Lab and the Brooklyn Academy of Comedy, and we'll be damned if we can figure out why this is funny.
It's funny if you have ever driven in Omaha, and seen all the Iowan's fleeing their pathetic state.

King Crimson
2/22/2007, 02:34 PM
maybe it's because Callahan has beat so many ranked teams.

Scott D
2/22/2007, 03:20 PM
Hopefully we find the next Mike Brown in there somewhere.

The coach who recruited those kids was Bill Busch. All the kids knew each other from AAU bball, so once we got one, it was kind of a chain reaction.

Oh, and about Keller. Callahan did coordinate a Super Bowl offense. It hasn't translated well to the college game so well yet, but maybe Keller will complete the puzzle. I think you guys saying you didn't want him are kidding yourselves; the guy's a first round talent.

so does that mean if Callahan ever wins the conference it's a lock that his team will quit on him the following year because he's a world class a-hole whom isn't the offensive genius that he thinks he is?

King Crimson
2/22/2007, 03:46 PM
Callahan also led the Raiders to a 4-12 year. whoop-de-doo.

he still hasn't beat a ranked team.

NorthernIowaSooner
2/22/2007, 06:02 PM
Says the guy dumb enough to live in Iowa. At least Nebraska has some diversity to the state instead of a bunch of the same ****ing thing, and isn't filled with people who can't drive.

Do you know what Iowa actually stands for?
In Omaha Without Asking.

ha ha, go **** yourself, well head on back to your old lady, the best nebraska has to offer

http://www.missingnebraska.com/images/maryfrank01.jpg

royalfan5
2/22/2007, 07:05 PM
ha ha, go **** yourself, well head on back to your old lady, the best nebraska has to offer

http://www.missingnebraska.com/images/maryfrank01.jpg
still about 30lbs less than the best Iowa has to offer.

soonerboy_odanorth
2/22/2007, 07:25 PM
At least Nebraska has some diversity to the state...

Your kidding, right?

One Chimney Rock does not diversity make.

And if you're talking diversity of people?

Iowa vs. Nebraska is Wonder Bread Classic vs. Wonder Bread Whole Grain White.

XingTheRubicon
2/22/2007, 07:35 PM
cripple state fight

BajaOklahoma
2/22/2007, 07:38 PM
Adding to the smack list: Iowa vs Nebbish smack.

Heck, even Tulsa > Iowa + Nebbish.

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/22/2007, 07:45 PM
Well I know zilch about Iowa or Nebraska, but I do know that Iowa has about 3 million people and Nebraska has about 1.7 million.

Therefore my assumption is Iowa > Nebraska (no, this has nothing to do with the people)

2/22/2007, 07:47 PM
Iowa vs Nebbish smack.

It's Nebbish-swine jibberish.

royalfan5
2/22/2007, 09:18 PM
Your kidding, right?

One Chimney Rock does not diversity make.

And if you're talking diversity of people?

Iowa vs. Nebraska is Wonder Bread Classic vs. Wonder Bread Whole Grain White.
Get up around Chadron and the Niobrara Valley. It looks a lot different than what you see along I-80. All Iowa is corn, beans, and hogs. Nebraska has a lot more variety than that.

royalfan5
2/22/2007, 09:20 PM
Well I know zilch about Iowa or Nebraska, but I do know that Iowa has about 3 million people and Nebraska has about 1.7 million.

Therefore my assumption is Iowa > Nebraska (no, this has nothing to do with the people)
Omaha is miles ahead of any of Iowa's crappy cities. That's why they all come over here and drive poorly. Theres a reason 600,000 people live in Omaha, and 60,000 in Council Tuckey.

Vaevictis
2/22/2007, 09:38 PM
Get up around Chadron and the Niobrara Valley. It looks a lot different than what you see along I-80. All Iowa is corn, beans, and hogs. Nebraska has a lot more variety than that.

So you've got soybean too?! :D

King Crimson
2/22/2007, 09:48 PM
actually, some of the better inland "links" style golf courses that are all the rage are being built in the sand hills of western Nebraska.

that being said, i always kind of liked Iowa and almost went to Grinnell College until i realized i would have to drive to Des Moines for even a decent record store.

royalfan5
2/22/2007, 09:48 PM
So you've got soybean too?! :D
and milo, and wheat, and hay, and cattle, both beef and dairy. In addition, famous people don't die in small engine plan crashes in Nebraska like they do in Iowa.

CatfishSooner
2/22/2007, 09:57 PM
Who ****in CARESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSss?FD21kjk2jlefkjl

tommie15
2/22/2007, 10:41 PM
Who ****in CARESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSss?FD21kjk2jlefkjl

Couldn't have said it better. State smack is weak.

goingoneight
2/22/2007, 11:07 PM
This thread makes my ****s hurt. :(

NorthernIowaSooner
2/22/2007, 11:52 PM

im not really gonna argue this much cause i dont really care, iowa is boring and mostly white, but id like to hear what exciting things nebraska offers on I-80.

that john denvers full of sh*t
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e76/crazykat709/Dumb-and-Dumber.jpg

soonerboy_odanorth
2/23/2007, 01:13 PM
Nebraska:

http://fermi.jhuapl.edu/states/maps_bw/ne_bw.gif

Iowa:

http://fermi.jhuapl.edu/states/maps_bw/ia_bw.gif

God's country:

http://fermi.jhuapl.edu/states/maps1/ok.gif

The difference is obvious. ;)

The VIIIth
2/23/2007, 03:16 PM
maybe it's because Callahan has beat so many ranked teams.

Maybe it's because nebraska has beaten so many women.

tommie15
2/23/2007, 05:06 PM
Maybe it's because nebraska has beaten so many women.

Says the dude who used to subscribe to Huskerpedia.

homerSimpsonsBrain
2/23/2007, 06:28 PM
Adding to the smack list: Iowa vs Nebbish smack.

Heck, even Tulsa > Iowa + Nebbish.

Well. In the interest of complete accuracy...

Tulsa > OKC > Iowa + Nebbish.

:D

SoonerMooner
2/23/2007, 07:00 PM
Keller should have consulted with the Dalai Lama to get his opinion of "throat Slasher" Callenburger before making his decision.

If Keller asked the Lama if he made the right choice now, the Lama's answer would be: "You have chosen..........poorly".

tulsaoilerfan
2/23/2007, 11:26 PM
Who the **** is Shawn watson and why should i be impressed with him being quoted?

Texas Golfer
2/24/2007, 09:50 AM

Zach Taylor was the Big XII Offensive Player of the Year and he never beat us. I feel pretty confident that Sam Keller won't either. If he passed on Bob Stoops for Bill Clownahan, he gets what he deserves...a second-rate team coached by a second-rate head coach.

Blitzkrieg
2/24/2007, 10:06 AM
Mike Reed will kill Helen Keller.

There, niether has played a down in the Big 12. We can hype, too.

sooneron
2/24/2007, 11:20 AM
Callahan = Dave Wannstedt

2/24/2007, 12:24 PM
Zach Taylor was the Big XII Offensive Player of the Year and he never beat us. I feel pretty confident that Sam Keller won't either. If he passed on Bob Stoops for Bill Clownahan, he gets what he deserves...a second-rate team coached by a second-rate head coach. Ya gotta remember, he first signed with second-rate ASU. Actually, I was a bit surprised Bob Stoops was going after him.

snp
2/24/2007, 02:29 PM
Zach Taylor was the Big XII Offensive Player of the Year and he never beat us. I feel pretty confident that Sam Keller won't either. If he passed on Bob Stoops for Bill Clownahan, he gets what he deserves...a second-rate team coached by a second-rate head coach.

Which has nothing to do with how Keller is much better, or at least much more proven, than anyone we had. It would've been great if we had an experienced senior for a year to give Nichol and Bradford more time to develop.

SoonerJLB
2/26/2007, 07:40 PM
. If he passed on Bob Stoops for Bill Clownahan, he gets what he deserves...a second-rate team coached by a second-rate head coach.

Come on that is pretty harsh, Callahan may be a 2nd rate coach but Neb is not a 2nd rate team or program. They just have down a bit of late and made bad coaching decisions like we did after Barry left us.

SoonerJedi
3/11/2007, 09:58 AM
That "pro-style" offense looked awesome in the Big 12 Champsionship game. ;)

Sooner24
3/15/2007, 10:09 PM
At least Iowa didn't have one of these 2000 ton burning manure piles.

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2005/01/28/image670079x.jpg

royalfan5
3/15/2007, 10:12 PM
At least Iowa didn't have one of these 2000 ton burning manure piles.

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2005/01/28/image670079x.jpg
I drove by there on Sunday. The fire is out now. Iowa would have those if most of their feedlots hadn't already went under in the 70's and 80's. Of course much of their state smells like pig ****, which is a worse smell than cattle ****.

The VIIIth
3/15/2007, 10:39 PM
So this is why Keller chose NU over OU...

Seamus
3/16/2007, 01:09 PM
Keller prefers cattle **** to pig ****. End of debate.

King Crimson
3/16/2007, 02:00 PM
Who the **** is Shawn watson and why should i be impressed with him being quoted?

you shouldn't be, but he was Barney's OC at CU.

Desert Sapper
3/19/2007, 02:13 PM

More experienced, yes. Better? How does anybody know that until any of the four QBs (Keller, Halzle, Bradford, and Nichol) in question take a snap in the Big XII? Keller made a poor decision because he could have been playing behind a more experienced line with more experienced skill position players surrounding him at OU.

snp
3/19/2007, 10:37 PM
More experienced, yes. Better? How does anybody know that until any of the four QBs (Keller, Halzle, Bradford, and Nichol) in question take a snap in the Big XII? Keller made a poor decision because he could have been playing behind a more experienced line with more experienced skill position players surrounding him at OU.

Obviously he is better than any QBs we had on campus or Stoops wouldn't have went after a player with 1 year of eligibility. Please don't play the "How does anyone know" card. It's weak.

goingoneight
3/19/2007, 10:58 PM
^^^ dude's got a point...

Stoops doesn't just offer guys who will be in and out. I'm really getting curious as to how good this kid is. I mean Husker hype is one thing, now people are like predicting Nebbish to win the BIG 12 outright. Hopefully he's good enough to beat USC, that's all I give a rat's *** about... and maybe Tejas... but I'd rather WE beat Tejas :D...

Desert Sapper
3/20/2007, 02:36 PM
Obviously he is better than any QBs we had on campus or Stoops wouldn't have went after a player with 1 year of eligibility. Please don't play the "How does anyone know" card. It's weak.

Stoops knew this team was ready to contend for a MNC this year before bonehead decided to play with BRSI. Keller represents more proven talent than we have on campus. He was a good QB for a mediocre team in a relatively weak conference. Stoops knew that if he had a Senior QB with good passing skills, we would have a good chance to play for it all in the Sugar Bowl (BCS Championship Game, whatever). We don't really know what we have right now in the three guys on campus. They haven't seen enough Division I playing time. I am not saying that Keller wouldn't have been a safer option, just that he isn't necessarily better than the guys we have right now. It could be that one of the guys on campus will take charge and prove themselves better than Keller ever would have been. Only time will tell. Right now, all this talk about who is better is nothing more than speculation. I'm pretty sure the Patriots thought Drew Bledsoe was better than Tom Brady before Brady was the only option left.

snp
3/20/2007, 03:31 PM
They haven't seen enough Division I playing time. I am not saying that Keller wouldn't have been a safer option, just that he isn't necessarily better than the guys we have right now.

:cover your ears: LOUD NOISES

Your argument still doesn't address why Stoops would waste a year on Keller when it could be valuable grooming time for any of our other QBs. He obviously thought Keller would be a better option than what we have.

mdklatt
3/20/2007, 03:40 PM
It's funny if you have ever driven in Omaha, and seen all the Iowan's fleeing their pathetic state.

Dude, it's on the border.

Desert Sapper
3/21/2007, 08:46 AM
:cover your ears: LOUD NOISES

Your argument still doesn't address why Stoops would waste a year on Keller when it could be valuable grooming time for any of our other QBs. He obviously thought Keller would be a better option than what we have.

You should be able to recognize that what I am arguing is the difference between better and safer (or guaranteed).

I said Keller is the safer option. He has played D-I ball before and was pretty good. That might make him a better option for this year, but does not make him a better QB than what we have on campus. Bob's goal is to do the very best with what he has every year, not necessarily set everything up for some future season down the road. With Keller, the starting QB spot would be locked up. That makes Keller safer than the guys we have on campus. Bob likes guarantees over potential. I don't blame him. That still doesn't make Keller better than what we have right now. It just makes him more of a sure thing. If we knew what we had in the guys that are vying for the starting slot right now, we would already know who next year's starter is. Right now we don't. It could be that one of the three guys on campus is considerably better than Keller. We just can't know that until they start taking snaps in actual games.

Essentially, Bob wanted Keller so we would be in a better, more guaranteed position for a MNC. In no way does it mean that Keller is better, just more proven than the guys we have on campus right now. Who wants a lengthy QB battle when you don't need one?

royalfan5
3/21/2007, 10:13 AM
Dude, it's on the border.
Still doesn't mean they know how to drive on an expressway.