PDA

View Full Version : Criminal signs with West Virginia...Really

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/21/2007, 10:40 AM
This kid signed with West Virginia...He has also been convicted of robbing a smoothie store at gunpoint, and possibly having two felonies
http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=44916

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/07/AR2006090701712_pf.html

Despite Charges, Prep Football Standout Remains Tackle-Eligible

By Eli Saslow and Josh Barr
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, September 8, 2006; A01

They have decided, as a team, that Pat Lazear's troubles no longer exist. He and four friends were never arrested for the robbery of a Bethesda smoothie shop. Police never charged Lazear with two felonies. The Montgomery County school system never forced him to transfer from Whitman High School before his senior year.

None of the incidents is relevant to Lazear's new football teammates at Wheaton High School, so they've instituted a simple rule: Treat Lazear as if his life began Aug. 15, when the All-Met linebacker arrived at Wheaton's practice field and revived the school's football team.

More than five months after he allegedly drove the getaway car in a felony robbery and three months after Whitman forced him to finish his junior year at home, Lazear, 17, has reclaimed his place in football's hierarchy. More than 20 Division I colleges have offered Lazear scholarships, and he will likely choose between Alabama and Ohio State. Coaches at Wheaton consider Lazear's arrival to be the luckiest incident in the team's recent history. Teammates voted Lazear captain, even though the Maryland judicial system forces him to wear a black ankle monitor so it can track his whereabouts.

Lazear will face armed robbery charges as an adult in a trial set for Nov. 29, but his football community has already rendered its own verdict: His guilt or innocence hardly matters, Wheaton players and coaches said. Lazear has transformed Wheaton into a playoff contender, and he will start on offense, defense and as the punter tonight in the season-opening game at Seneca Valley.
"We're going to keep the past in the past and let him focus on football," said Tommy Neal, Wheaton's first-year football coach. "I told him: 'I don't care what happened in the past. Let's make this situation the best for everybody.' "

Lazear had worried briefly that his high school football career had ended May 18, when police came to Whitman, an academically acclaimed school that draws its students from upscale neighborhoods in Bethesda. They arrested Lazear for armed robbery and conspiracy to commit armed robbery -- charges that each carry a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison. The charges stemmed from an incident March 30 when, police said, Lazear met three friends -- Justin Schweiger, Tommy Ashley and Robert Warren -- with plans to rob the Smoothie King in downtown Bethesda where classmate Alex Krouskas worked.

According to charging documents, Lazear provided a gun -- his attorney claims it was a replica not capable of firing -- and dropped Warren off at the smoothie shop. Warren allegedly showed the gun and left the store with $463. According to testimony and police statements, the Whitman classmates then switched into a different car, divided the money and met Krouskas at a pizzeria later that night. Lazear refuses to talk specifically about the charges until his trial.

In May, Whitman asked Lazear to finish his school year at home. Whitman principal Alan Goodwin recommended expulsion, but an arbiter overturned that recommendation. Montgomery County reassigned Lazear to Wheaton, where he can attend classes and play football.

"I'm just going to go out and prove what I can do on the field," Lazear said. "People can say whatever they want to say to me, but after one play they're not going to be talking anymore. A player is a player no matter where you are. That's my philosophy. I'm just trying to put this all behind me."

Lazear learned last week that moving on might be more difficult than he had hoped. A Montgomery County Circuit Court judge denied Lazear's motion to move his charges to juvenile court despite a long list of character witnesses who testified on Lazear's behalf. One witness after another stepped to the stand and characterized Lazear as an athletic leader: a former judge who met Lazear at a gym; a personal trainer; a youth football coach; a Whitman wrestling coach; a Wheaton football assistant who testified in his Montgomery County police uniform.

But in his ruling, Judge Joseph A. Dugan Jr. said Lazear's track record contradicted that depiction. The judge referenced Lazear's previous offense -- the use of a stolen credit card to buy a $130 pair of sneakers in November 2004 -- and the ensuing 90 days of court supervision.

"Ten months later, not only is that all forgotten, but you're involved in a robbery with a dangerous weapon," Dugan said while delivering his verdict.

"My take on the seriousness of the offense and your role in it weighs very heavily against you going to juvenile court. Good people do not do this. This is not 'boys will be boys.' "

Schweiger also had his motion to move his charges to juvenile court denied last week; next week, Ashley, Krouskas and Warren will have similar motions heard.

The same week that Lazear's motion was heard, his new teammates submitted their choices for team captain, and they picked a player who is still working to memorize his teammates' names. It was a selection that said less about character than ability, Lazear admitted. Just by showing up, Lazear transformed a mediocre team into a threat to make Maryland's 3A West Region playoffs. Wheaton, which won its only state title in 1996, has not had a winning varsity season for three years, and Lazear has infused the team with optimism that it will end that streak.

"They know this is a way better team with me," Lazear said. "I'm a captain because I'm going to be a leader on the football field. I'm going to make sure we go out every Friday night and get things done."

On Aug. 14, the night before Lazear practiced with Wheaton for the first time, a handful of Wheaton players gathered to talk about their new teammate. Elijah Davis, a talented running back, invited four starters to his house and logged on to a recruiting Web site. They replayed 10-second clips of Lazear's highlights for almost an hour. "We were all gathered around the computer just like in shock," Davis said. "It was like . . . 'This guy is going to make us good.' "

Without so much as playing in a game, Lazear has already earned a reputation as his team's hardest hitter and most athletic offensive threat. At 6 feet 2 and 225 pounds, Lazear runs the 40-yard dash in 4.6 seconds. He made 124 tackles at Whitman last season, and he gained 1,068 yards and scored 18 touchdowns as a running back.

Lazear said his ankle monitor is light enough that he hardly notices it when he plays, and it will not encumber him. Even though Maryland high school players are not allowed to wear jewelry on the field, Lazear will be able to play with the monitor. "The umpire will inspect it before the game and make sure it is adequately padded," said Ned Sparks, executive director of the Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association. Wheaton coaches said Lazear fits well in their offensive and defense schemes, which Neal designed to spread the field and maximize the importance of speed. Lazear will start at inside linebacker, and he'll rotate with Davis, a senior, at fullback and running back.

"I'd be a fool to take him off the field," Neal said. "He'll play both ways all the time and do everything for us. Pat sees this as an opportunity to put Wheaton back on the map."

That Lazear gets that chance has generated little controversy. A few parents called Wheaton's athletic director, but he said most feedback remained positive. The county school board received about 10 letters in June pertaining to the charged students, and most consisted of family friends offering support. The letters echoed a common theme: Even teenagers who make mistakes need to participate in school.

But football?

"He wouldn't be playing on Friday or Saturday or anytime" in Prince George's County, said a football coach from that county who asked not to be named because of the sensitivity of the issue. "That just isn't happening. Let's be real."

In Lazear's hearing last week, the judge asked Angela Lazear if she considered punishing her son by taking away football. "We don't look at football as an extracurricular activity," she said. "We look at it as an opportunity . . . to pay for his school. . . . We have never considered that. It would ruin his future."

After his arrest, Lazear said he worried that colleges would rescind scholarship offers. North Carolina State stopped its recruitment, Lazear said, and a Notre Dame coach visited Whitman to tell him the school would no longer pursue him. But Lazear still receives frequent text messages from coaches at Alabama and Ohio State among others.
"Coaches have said pretty much, 'We hope you can get it taken care of,' " Angela Lazear said during testimony last week. "It's been a hanging threat over our heads."

Lazear's attorney, the prosecutor and the judge debated Lazear's college prospects at the hearing. Said Dugan: "It depends how good he is. Even if he is convicted of armed robbery, some school out there will take him."

The judge will allow Lazear to visit Ohio State in early October, so long as a parent stays with him at all times, because he is also attending a family function. Although Paul Kemp, Lazear's attorney, told Dugan in court that he doesn't anticipate requesting any other college trips, Lazear said otherwise. "I might take some of my official trips," Lazear said, "like just as vacations."

It's been a long time since Lazear enjoyed such freedom. In May, the court issued a curfew that forced Lazear to be home by 7 p.m. Dugan extended that curfew to accommodate practice and games. "The curfew sucks," Lazear said. "I was going to have this great summer -- go on fishing trips, get a job, go to the beach. I couldn't do any of it."

Lazear said the focus of his next four months is simple: "I want to get a [championship] ring, finish school and just get to college," he said. Lazear is taking an English correspondence course through Brigham Young University that will enable him to graduate in December. He hopes to enroll in college in January to spend an extra semester taking classes and practicing with the football team.

Lazear anticipates going to trial in November, but Kemp, who once defended boxer Mike Tyson, said a plea agreement is possible.

Lazear will wait for the resolution of his criminal charges before making his college announcement. He said the ESPNU television network is interested in a live broadcast of the announcement.

"Even if the punishment is worse, I just want to get it over with and move on," Lazear said. "If this drags on . . . it might mess up getting to school and getting started with football."

Well gosh golly gee...I hate that fella. Robbing a store sometimes messes up everyday life :rolleyes:

picasso
2/21/2007, 10:44 AM
hmmmm. what a statement.

hope he knows a DUI could mess up his rights to drive a car too.

soonerinabilene
2/21/2007, 10:45 AM
how did gundy miss this guy?:D

OSUAggie
2/21/2007, 11:43 AM
how did gundy miss this guy?:D

Or this guy?

A big day, a new start
After legal trouble and a suspension, Blue Springs’ Donald Stephenson is glad Oklahoma stuck by him.
By CANDACE BUCKNER
The Kansas City Star
Donald Stephenson wakes early in the cold morning, takes a shower and grabs his new Oklahoma hat with tags still attached. He’s ready for his big moment.

It’s national signing day, when high school boys and girls celebrate their athletic achievements, and the Sooners need Stephenson’s letter of intent faxed in immediately.

Stephenson and his mother, Ethel, walk silently to his car. A radio station in Oklahoma calls his cell phone for an interview. He doesn’t wear a white dress shirt, necktie or slacks. Stephenson’s clothed in a Scarface hoodie and jeans. There’s no special ceremony set up at Blue Springs High School. And Stephenson can’t walk inside there anyway, so he’s heading to Office Depot.

On Wednesday, national signing day, Stephenson, the Central transfer whose injury-depleted senior season at Blue Springs helped him earn a Division I scholarship, was serving a 10-day suspension. A few weeks back, Stephenson went to a school dance, and, as he describes, ran into some “bad luck.” As for Stephenson’s actions that night, Blue Springs athletic director Tim Crone says it led to a “discipline situation that we’re handling at school.”

So when television stations called Blue Springs to stage a signing-day shoot with its biggest recruit, Wildcats coach Kelly Donohoe asked them to come another day.

But that’s not the end of Stephenson’s troubles.

The day after Christmas, Stephenson went to a movie with two friends. The show was sold out, and, instead of sitting inside a darkened theater, Stephenson spent that night in a Leawood jail cell. Stephenson was arrested and charged with multiple counts of burglary of a motor vehicle, theft and criminal damage.

“I just had bad luck, that’s about it,” Stephenson says. “I’d rather not talk about that. I’ve never went through anything like this, and it’s all just piling on me my senior year.”

It’s overwhelming for Ethel Stephenson, the devout mother. Not so much the off-the-field troubles, but her son’s last great act of his senior season — his signing ceremony.

“I trained Donald up through the word of God,” she says. “The only way you can train them up is through the word of God, and I guarantee there will be success and greatness. I’ve known from the time in the delivery room to the time now. I’ve always told him there is greatness in him.”

Ethel leans on the Office Depot counter, ignoring the coffee she just brewed. She watches her son pen his signature on every sheet. She thinks about all of his tomorrows.

“I’ll be glad when all this is over,” Ethel says, “and we get back to normal.”

Donald longs for those normal, quiet days again, too. Right now, Stephenson’s the big-time college offensive lineman. An Office Depot employee named Jeanne lights up when told she’s faxing copies for Oklahoma’s latest recruit. She doesn’t question why Stephenson’s at her counter at 8:58 a.m. instead of at school.

“Voila! Five pages sent,” Jeanne exclaims, then shows Stephenson the confirmation page. “And the fax is on me. You don’t have to pay for it.”

Stephenson flashes his dimpled smile.

“That’s the least I can do,” Jeanne gushes. “We’ve got a celebrity here!”

Stephenson appreciates the gesture, but more than anything else he wants his reputation back. He knows people are talking.

“That’s what I’m really afraid of. I can sit here and say as long as the coaches know that I’m a good kid it doesn’t matter, but you never know,” Stephenson says. “I’m not saying that it would, but if something bad happens again, everybody would say: ‘Oh, there goes Donald again. He’s that type of kid coming from the inner city.’ Stuff like that, and I tried too hard not to be that type of person and I don’t want people to think that.”

Stephenson and his friends are facing eight counts of criminal activity. There was one smashed Mitsubishi Gallant window and a black iPod taken. A purse, wristwatch and disposable camera were taken from another car. Baseball equipment and a carton of caramel bars were stolen from a black 1996 Saturn.

“I don’t like to call it mistakes. I like to call it sin,” Ethel said. “I thank God that he is going through this discipline season. I know he won’t go astray any more.”

Teachers at Central, Stephenson’s former school, were shocked. Although Central administration declined to comment about Stephenson, teacher Frankie Kopp remembers her former Desktop Publishing sophomore student as a confident, goal-driven young man.

“I have to admit, when I first heard about the incident, I was shocked. He could be a typical teenager. He could be stubborn, bullheaded and obnoxious at times, but he also was capable, and he never faltered or lost sight of what he wanted to do,” Kopp said. “He got caught up in a moment, I’d say. … I just thought he was smarter than that.”

Stephenson’s attorney Jack Luther refused to discuss details of the case, other than that Stephenson has submitted a diversion application and his next court date is March 16. If convicted, Stephenson could face up to five to 17 months in county jail on each of four felony counts and up to one year for the misdemeanors. The sentence is dependent on prior criminal record, and Stephenson has no prior arrests, he said.

Oklahoma has stood by all along. When Stephenson visited Norman in January, coaches didn’t talk about arrests and pending court dates, Stephenson said. They wanted to test his agility and pass stance. Stephenson was a tad rusty. He missed six games with a broken left big toe, but as little as he did play, Stephenson impressed a host of Division I programs.

“(His) potential and dominance were phenomenal,” Donohoe says. “So I understand why he was recruited.”

Stephenson’s just happy Oklahoma stuck by him. After hearing news of his arrest, Michigan passed. Oklahoma’s vote of confidence is important to Stephenson. Donohoe has stayed loyal, something Stephenson is grateful for, but he is slightly disappointed he didn’t get to sign his scholarship in front of his coach.

With things finished at Office Depot, Stephenson leaves and takes a shortcut on Northwest Ashton Drive, next to Blue Springs High School. He glances twice at the passing building and, while driving 38 miles per hour in a school zone, fails to notice the police officer clocking speeders from the parking lot. Stephenson sighs as the officer asks for his driver’s license and insurance card, because he has neither. After signing a full-ride scholarship, he now signs a ticket citation. The court date is March 17.

“That’s just my luck,” Stephenson mumbles.

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/21/2007, 12:01 PM
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/9320/skowlmd2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/21/2007, 12:02 PM
By the way, stop jacking my thread faggie

picasso
2/21/2007, 12:02 PM
well neither of them are no JamesOn Curry.

snp
2/21/2007, 01:02 PM
WVU is making a strong push for the Fulmer Cup.

SoonerStormchaser
2/21/2007, 01:54 PM
“Voila! Five pages sent,” Jeanne exclaims, then shows Stephenson the confirmation page. “And the fax is on me. You don’t have to pay for it.”

Why hasn't the NCAA been on this one? Shouldn't this constitute an improper benefit that earns us the death penalty?

Oh wait, that's just what Poke fans are hoping for!

soonerinabilene
2/21/2007, 03:32 PM
Or this guy?

my first guess as to why gundy didnt get these two is because they can both spell their own name correctly.