PDA

View Full Version : Houston trying to take the Cotton Bowl's place

CShine
2/21/2007, 09:25 AM
For the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic, the world changed two years ago. A New Year's Day tradition since 1937, the bowl suddenly realized that its place in college football was anything but secure. Houston and glitzy top-of-the-line Reliant Stadium emerged as a real threat to claim the Cotton Bowl's teams.

Officials learned that a storied past and a sterling reputation might not be enough to maintain a place in the bowl hierarchy. A slip to second-tier status would have been a major blow to the game's prestige, one from which it might never have recovered.

The lessons have stayed with the bowl and made it reach hard decisions, including a $500,000 obligation if it does not move to the Cowboys' new stadium by 2010. The Cotton Bowl Classic board continues to face difficult decisions. By the end of March, the board is expected to vote on a recommendation to move from its namesake Dallas home to the Cowboys' new stadium in Arlington.

"For the first time, it really opened our eyes that it was a real threat," Cotton Bowl president Rick Baker said. "The danger of losing our picks, and quite frankly, a great deal of our stature in the bowl community, was a real one."

In 2005, Cotton Bowl officials thought they were in routine negotiations to extend their contract with the Big 12 and Southeastern conferences. While they understood that the bowl world had become more competitive, especially with new stadiums like Reliant, nothing prepared them for what they heard during a meeting with Big 12 officials in May 2005 at the D-FW Airport Hyatt Regency.

At a meeting with Big 12 Commissioner Kevin Weiberg and several Big 12 athletic directors, a small group of Cotton Bowl officials discovered that Houston was making a major pitch for their teams. The Cotton Bowl was guaranteed the first Big 12 selection and the second SEC pick after the Bowl Championship Series. Houston offered a retractable roof, lavish amenities and revenue streams that allowed it to offer payouts of $1 million per team each year. Everything from the game experience to the climate control to the money favored the striking steel-and-glass construction. No longer would schools have to worry about cold or ice or cramped fan conditions in a stadium built during the Great Depression.

Mr. Baker remembers thinking it was "a watershed moment" as he left with Cotton Bowl board executives Gayle Earls and Fin Ewing III and board attorney Mike Baggett.

The feeling was similar on the other side.

"It was a different world for the Cotton Bowl Classic than it had faced before," said Oklahoma's Joe Castiglione, one of the Big 12 athletic directors who attended the meeting.

The Cotton Bowl immediately checked with people in the college football and bowl communities to see if Houston really was a legitimate threat. Maybe the Big 12 was merely trying to get a larger payout as part of the negotiating process. Take Houston very seriously, the Cotton Bowl was told.

"It was a very competitive landscape," said Derrick Fox, president and CEO of San Antonio's Alamo Bowl. Houston "took a very serious run at moving up and targeted those bids. They were very aggressive in going after that spot."

SMG-Reliant officials did not return phone calls seeking comment.

Reliant had made no secret of its attempt to land marquee games, having made a try in 2003 for the annual Texas-Oklahoma football game. The SMG-Reliant management company had a new stadium and a desire to get as many big events as possible. David Bradley, manager of the Reliant-based Texas Bowl, said he wants to run the best bowl possible, develop a solid reputation and improve its selection position in the next negotiations.

For the conferences and the Cotton Bowl, it was serious business.

"We're always interested in trying to maximize the dollars associated with these games," the Big 12's Mr. Weiberg said. "That's part of how we grow revenue with our members and part of how we pay the expenses to cover all bowl opportunities."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/022107dnspocottonlede.15cdb10.html

Fraggle145
2/21/2007, 09:36 AM
I'm sorry Houston is a ****hole...

bluesmagoo
2/21/2007, 09:53 AM
I agree, Houston sucks.

The_Red_Patriot
2/21/2007, 10:22 AM
What a crappy movie

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/c/c9/250px-Bad_News_Bears_in_Breaking_Training_movie_poster.j pg

soonerjoker
2/21/2007, 10:30 AM
i went down there to the big 12 champ game. it was (reliant) very nice.

cotton bowl is what sux.

OU/tx,however, could never be in houston.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
2/21/2007, 01:05 PM
Are you kidding me?? Houston is awesome. I hate going to Dallas, that place is the biggest sh*thole in America. I have loved every minute of living down here and don't regret it at all moving here. I think it would be great if you could get a high profile game in the 4th largest city in the country. There is a lot more to do here than in Dallas, that is for sure.

snp
2/21/2007, 01:16 PM
Houston would be awesome for a bowl game.

bri
2/21/2007, 01:28 PM
You know, we can make this really short and simple if we just sum this thread up thusly:

HOUSTON POSTERS: Houston is teh win! Dallas is teh suck!

EVERYONE ELSE: Dude, Houston is teh suck.

Aaaaaaaand.......scene.

Herr Scholz
2/21/2007, 01:37 PM
What a crappy movie

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/c/c9/250px-Bad_News_Bears_in_Breaking_Training_movie_poster.j pg
LET THEM PLAY!! LET THEM PLAY!!

Herr Scholz
2/21/2007, 01:38 PM
There is a lot more to do here than in Dallas, that is for sure.
Such as what?

Flagstaffsooner
2/21/2007, 01:41 PM
Such as what?Enjoying the smell. Houston is the nastiest place that I have ever lived.

Herr Scholz
2/21/2007, 01:46 PM
Enjoying the smell. Houston is the nastiest place that I have ever lived.
I agree. I don't like Houston, it's one big strip mall. Also, the polluted water catches on fire there. Plus, the humidity makes it feel like Botswana.

snp
2/21/2007, 01:49 PM
Smell, traffic, immigration, urban sprawl, etc shouldn't even be brought up. This is a weekend trip and none of those low points really matter.

What does matter:

Better facility
Better weather
More money
Getting more exposure in the number 1 city for HS football.

TMcGee86
2/21/2007, 02:02 PM
I live in Houston.

It is most definitely teh suc.

However, Reliant is a very nice facility. Still doesnt change the fact that Houston sux.

Fraggle145
2/21/2007, 02:27 PM
Smell, traffic, immigration, urban sprawl, etc shouldn't even be brought up. This is a weekend trip and none of those low points really matter.

Yes it does matter, it is a stinking ****pile. You have to wait in traffic smelling the ****ty smell, breathing the mouthbreather air, trying to get to the game. When you get back to real life you have to burn your clothes because you cant get the stink out. It also the number one place for fata$$es. I dont know about anyone else, but I cant stand fat people (and by fat people I mean truly fat people). JMHO.

What does matter:

Better facility
Better weather
More money
Getting more exposure in the number 1 city for HS football.

The only thing they have going for them is better facility. This is College FB not highschool, just saying. More money, we can get that out of the Cotton Bowl people. The weather isnt better... its smog and humidity.

rufnek05
2/21/2007, 02:45 PM
i thought there was a bowl game in houston already.

snp
2/21/2007, 02:48 PM
Yes it does matter, it is a stinking ****pile. You have to wait in traffic smelling the ****ty smell, breathing the mouthbreather air, trying to get to the game. When you get back to real life you have to burn your clothes because you cant get the stink out. It also the number one place for fata$$es. I dont know about anyone else, but I cant stand fat people (and by fat people I mean truly fat people). JMHO.

Hello hyperbole! Quit exaggerating it's not that bad. The rest of your paragraph can be argued with :rolleyes: What are you, 7?

The only thing they have going for them is better facility. This is College FB not highschool, just saying.

No ****! That's why I said what I said. It'd be a better recruiting trip for every school.

More money, we can get that out of the Cotton Bowl people.

From the article: "We're always interested in trying to maximize the dollars associated with these games," the Big 12's Mr. Weiberg said.

The weather isnt better... its smog and humidity.

:rolleyes: once again, we're talking about the game itself. It's a climate controlled stadium.

Fraggle145
2/21/2007, 03:21 PM
Hello hyperbole! Quit exaggerating it's not that bad. The rest of your paragraph can be argued with :rolleyes: What are you, 7?
No ****! That's why I said what I said. It'd be a better recruiting trip for every school.From the article: "We're always interested in trying to maximize the dollars associated with these games," the Big 12's Mr. Weiberg said.
:rolleyes: once again, we're talking about the game itself. It's a climate controlled stadium.

I misunderstood what you were saying about HS ball, but I dont necessarily think Houston is the best place for HS ball. Otherwise, OSWho would be much better as they have been recruiting there for years. JMHO. Also there is no reason that they couldnt come up with the same kind of money Houston is offering in Dallas.

You said its a weekend trip in your original post, which means you will have to spend time outside, besides the 3 hours in the game. where it is humid or full of smog nasty. The venue is better, but the peripherals, which would make up the rest of one's experience are a lot worse. Also, personally I hate domes, I like the natural influence on the game. IMO football is mad to be played outside.

:pop:

snp
2/21/2007, 03:41 PM
I misunderstood what you were saying about HS ball, but I dont necessarily think Houston is the best place for HS ball. Otherwise, OSWho would be much better as they have been recruiting there for years.

Believe it or not, but it is. More NFL players come from Houston and they produce the most division-1 recruits every year. The rest of your statement is 100% ridiculous.

JMHO. Also there is no reason that they couldnt come up with the same kind of money Houston is offering in Dallas.

Apparently Houston is very serious about this. Big 12 wouldn't consider it otherwise.

You said its a weekend trip in your original post, which means you will have to spend time outside, besides the 3 hours in the game. where it is humid or full of smog nasty. The venue is better, but the peripherals, which would make up the rest of one's experience are a lot worse. Also, personally I hate domes, I like the natural influence on the game. IMO football is mad to be played outside.

Quit acting like Houston is the devil's vacation home. January in Houston isn't humid. Nor is Houston some city void of fun. There's plenty to do over a weekend.

This could also mean the end of 10am games after New Year's Eve. Which is probably the worst thing I've ever heard of.

GrapevineSooner
2/21/2007, 03:47 PM
Are you kidding me?? Houston is awesome. I hate going to Dallas, that place is the biggest sh*thole in America. I have loved every minute of living down here and don't regret it at all moving here. I think it would be great if you could get a high profile game in the 4th largest city in the country. There is a lot more to do here than in Dallas, that is for sure.
I'm so glad this thread quicky degenerated into a 'X city sucks, Y is so much better' thread.

As a Dallasite, obviously I'm partial to my home city.

I've been to Houston and while the traffic sucks (show me a big city that doesn't have traffic problems), I love going down there every once in awhile.

snp
2/21/2007, 03:59 PM
I'm so glad this thread quicky degenerated into a 'X city sucks, Y is so much better' thread.

As a Dallasite, obviously I'm partial to my home city.

I've been to Houston and while the traffic sucks (show me a big city that doesn't have traffic problems), I love going down there every once in awhile.

My thoughts exactly except switch home cities. Neither city sucks.

GrapevineSooner
2/21/2007, 04:12 PM
Actually, that was kind of my point. ;)

I like both cities. In the interest of logistics for fans of my favorite team, I'm prefer the game be left in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

fwsooner22
2/21/2007, 04:24 PM
If you like food Houston has sooooooooo much more than Dallas its not even close....Dallas is chain city........Houston is the winner in baseball, football facilites.....but that is about to change.....The AAC is the winner for basketball.......The game isn't moving to Houston anyway.

Everything will be at Jerryworld Book It.

CobraKai
2/21/2007, 04:41 PM
Barry Switzer once said that you could win a national title in football every year with nothing but Houston area players. He thought the best football players in America came from Houston.

And if anyone wants my vote, I do not care for Houston. Of all the larger cities in America that one ranks up there with Detroit as the top cities I do not want to live in.

snp
2/21/2007, 04:55 PM
The AAC is the winner for basketball

off topic, but what makes a good basketball facility? They're all the same to me.

fwsooner22
2/21/2007, 05:18 PM
off topic, but what makes a good basketball facility? They're all the same to me.

I have been lucky enough to be in suites of the facilities. The AAC is incredible. You kind of hang out over the lower deck.

The suite aside there is an incredible amount of room everywhere at the AAC....Restrooms are huge....lots of concessions.....easy in and out even during sellouts...parking is a non-factor....of course all of this is $$$$$$. The AAC is a palace.........

Penguin
2/21/2007, 05:45 PM
Yo! In H-town, Westside is the best side, sucka. East is the least.

I love that article. Somebody is really fooling themselves if they think that the Cotton Bowl was ever considered a first tier bowl.

"Officials learned that a storied past and a sterling reputation might not be enough to maintain a place in the bowl hierarchy." Lol! Yeah, keep telling yourselves that, folks. The Emperor's New Clothes sure are pretty.

H8HOGS
2/21/2007, 07:54 PM
Cotton Bowl..Old, run down beautiful part of Dallas though..

Saw the 1987 Boston tour there.

yermom
2/21/2007, 09:21 PM
i'm not afraid to admit that the Cotton Bowl is a dump, and that part of Dallas sucks, but if the Cotton Bowl game went to Houston that could very well **** up the OU/TX game and i don't want that

the Orange Bowl moved to Pro Player, that doesn't really seem to be a big deal. moving the game to Arlington wouldn't be that bad, but i'd imagine it wouldn't take long for the Texass game to follow

H8HOGS
2/22/2007, 09:54 AM
i'm not afraid to admit that the Cotton Bowl is a dump, and that part of Dallas sucks, but if the Cotton Bowl game went to Houston that could very well **** up the OU/TX game and i don't want that

the Orange Bowl moved to Pro Player, that doesn't really seem to be a big deal. moving the game to Arlington wouldn't be that bad, but i'd imagine it wouldn't take long for the Texass game to follow

That is a 30 minute move across town but Joe Robbie is a cookie cutter stadium that sucks from an atmosphere stand point. The Orange Bowl may be run down but it is a historic place and a great atmosphere and the night games there looking out at the Miami skyline from the upper deck is awesome.

garland sooner
2/22/2007, 08:36 PM
See, if Dallas didn't screw up and improve the stadium like everyone wants them to or build a brand new stadium... we wouldn't be having this discussion. Stupid Laura Miller.