PDA

View Full Version : Now, we're REALLY on the bubble (NIT)

OUSKINS
2/21/2007, 08:10 AM
Obviously, the NCAA talk is pretty much moot at this point. The clock struck midnight for this particular OU bunch during halftime of the A+M game. At that point, it seems the lack of talent caught up to us, and all the hustle and grit in the world can't set it straight.

It's very clear that this team will desperately need a "go-to" scorer next year. Or at least a more consistent offensive punch. I'm certainly hoping that Davis, Griffin, and Moose will help that cause, while also factoring in improvement from Crocker and Maze. Hopefully, Longar will get better as well. So, assuming our recruits are legit, the future looks pretty good.

But I do think it is somewhat important to make the post-season this year. It will be hard for me to call this a "good" year if we miss out on the NIT as well.

At 15-11; 6-7; we're looking good for the NIT right now. However, with three potential (likely) losses looming, we'd put ourselves right on the NIT bubble (quite possibly on the wrong side of that bubble). I think 17 wins overall will probably get us in, especially if we have one more quality victory.

We need to win at least one of these last 3 and then definitely win one conference tourney game to secure an NIT bid. Suddenly, it seems less likely than before.

crawfish
2/21/2007, 08:19 AM
We definitely need a "closer". We seem to run out of gas at the end of games, playing decent defense but unable to hit free throws.

Barring four in a row in the Big 12 tourney (0.005% chance of that), the NIT is what we have to look forward to.

stoopified
2/21/2007, 09:33 AM
I'll keep saying it.The way most Ou fans were talking at the beginning of the year,getting to the NIT would be a good thing.Ithink 1 more win getsus in.Remember all you have to have is a .500 record.If we lose out we would be 15-14 going into the Big 12 Tourney.I still think we got a couple wins left in us.

Boomer.....
2/21/2007, 09:36 AM
We will definitely get into the NIT, but that is still good from this young team. A few months ago everyone was saying that if we make the NIT it was a great season. Don't think that it is now a bad team or season, just because they won a few games, got talked about for a NCAA bid, then dropped some of the last tough games.

OUmillenium
2/21/2007, 10:06 AM
Good posts and I agree. Remember, Capel is just getting started and the cupboard was really bare. Do you see any of our players starting for a top 25 team? Maybe. Probably not.

Great job coaching this year. Great job by LL and Nate to step their play. Need a legit point guard with speed. NIT will keep our postseason tourney streak alive.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/21/2007, 10:17 AM
The NIT field is now just 32 teams and any regular season conference champ that loses in their conference tourney and misses the NCAA tourney gets an auto bid to the NIT. So we do need at least one more win in our last 3 games or a win in the first round of the Big 12 tourney.

There is a site called NITology and if you go by that we are one of the last 8 teams in the NIT field at the moment so I don't think just being .500 will cut it. In fact I'm pretty sure it won't.

http://tcaa.puretecmo.com/nit06.html

I think one win in our final 4 would get us in the NIT. 2 wins gives us a decent chance of hosting a game.

OUSKINS
2/25/2007, 10:27 AM
Now, I'm really nervous about making the NIT. I DO think it's important that we make the post-season, and I will consider it a disappointment if we don't. I was drooling over Capel two weeks ago, and I still think the guy is going to be awesome, however, you must be consistent. Let's say we lose the next two (highly likely). That would mean we end the season on a 6 game losing streak-- which is a clear regression from where we were at mid-season. Gotta level some criticism for that.

I can't sit here and brag about what an awesome job Capel did this year if we go 6-10 in the Big 12.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/26/2007, 01:46 PM
Now, I'm really nervous about making the NIT. I DO think it's important that we make the post-season, and I will consider it a disappointment if we don't. I was drooling over Capel two weeks ago, and I still think the guy is going to be awesome, however, you must be consistent. Let's say we lose the next two (highly likely). That would mean we end the season on a 6 game losing streak-- which is a clear regression from where we were at mid-season. Gotta level some criticism for that.

I can't sit here and brag about what an awesome job Capel did this year if we go 6-10 in the Big 12.

I don't know that I would "brag" about the job Capel has done to others either but I'm more than confident that we have our guy and I like the way he has apparently got maximum effort from the team and I expect better things in the future beginning next year.

For the NIT I think we probably need 2 wins now. I can't say I like our chances tonight so probably @KSU or 2 wins in the conf tourney. It won't be easy.

fwsooner22
2/26/2007, 02:09 PM
We had a coaching change. We got put on probabtion. We were national news (negative). We had players transfer who never got here. The three best players on this team are Freshmen and Sophmores. There is not a point guard on the team. We are going to win 15 to 17 games. Capel is a superstar in my book. That is not even a stretch. His attitude during the UT game was awesome. He simply was not going to put up with the below average refs without a fight. It was something we have not seen around here in awhile.

Capel will win at OU.

The_Red_Patriot
2/26/2007, 02:19 PM
We had a coaching change. We got put on probabtion. We were national news (negative). We had players transfer who never got here. The three best players on this team are Freshmen and Sophmores. There is not a point guard on the team. We are going to win 15 to 17 games. Capel is a superstar in my book. That is not even a stretch. His attitude during the UT game was awesome. He simply was not going to put up with the below average refs without a fight. It was something we have not seen around here in awhile.

Capel will win at OU.

You are correct sir
http://www.adequatulence.com/hartman/vault/pictures/mcmahon.jpg