PDA

View Full Version : Water

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/20/2007, 05:09 PM
How much water do you drink a day? I used to not drink any at all, but since the first of the year I've really increased my water consumption.

I drink 68 oz. at least, but usually it's closer to 80 oz.

Boomer.....
2/20/2007, 05:12 PM
Usually a glass or two.

Widescreen
2/20/2007, 05:17 PM
I drink water almost exclusively. It flushes out the bad stuff and also prevents kidney stone formation. Ugh.

OzarkSooner
2/20/2007, 05:20 PM
I drink about 80 oz. a day myself. It's just good for you. About 3 or 4 years ago, I decided to start drinking nothing but water. That's right, no coffee, tea or any carbonated drinks. The first three months of this particular event I lost about 12 pounds. I maintained this for 2 years straight, almost to the day. I still drink a lot of water, but, occasionally I drink a Dr. Pepper...from Sonic of course.

What really helped me was getting one of those bottled water coolers. I bought two five gallon jugs and fill them up with filtered water at local stores that have those machines. I think a 5 gallon refill costs me about 1.30 cents. The cooler cost about $100 from Home Depot. Waaaaaaaaaaaay better than tap water.

IronSooner
2/20/2007, 05:21 PM
I drink about 24oz during the day and another 24 or so at night. Way not enough, but that's how it usually shakes out.

SicEmBaylor
2/20/2007, 05:22 PM
I never drink water. Ever. Not a drop.

Not sure if that's healthy or not....probably not.

What are some of the potential health problems from never drinking water?

Boomer.....
2/20/2007, 05:27 PM

You turn into a *****.

Widescreen
2/20/2007, 05:28 PM
You turn into a *****.
:D

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/20/2007, 05:32 PM

Oh, lawd...

SicEmBaylor
2/20/2007, 05:33 PM
Before I figured out I was diabetic, I did go through a stage of drinking tons of water.

Fiji bottled water seems to have the best taste, and I'd drink at least 4-5 of those a day.

Boomer.....
2/20/2007, 05:33 PM
He sets himself up EVERY time!

OhU1
2/20/2007, 05:40 PM
The average adult needs about 32 oz of water a day to replace lost fluid. A quart. Your body does a great job of letting you know when you need more (thirst) or when you've had too much (p*ss).

If you want to drink more water than your body needs there is no harm in it but the notion that water is some kind of health tonic and most people are dehydrated is nothing but a myth unsupported by medical fact.

NormanPride
2/20/2007, 05:41 PM
What does being diabetic have to do with drinking water?

Widescreen
The average adult needs about 32 oz of water a day to replace lost fluid. A quart. Your body does a great job of letting you know when you need more (thirst) or when you've had too much (p*ss).

If you want to drink more water than your body needs there is no harm in it but the notion that water is some kind of health tonic and most people are dehydrated is nothing but a myth unsupported by medical fact.
What do you know? You're a caveman.

SicEmBaylor
A lot of diabetics crave water really bad. The worse it got the more water I had to constantly drink.

OhU1
2/20/2007, 05:44 PM
What do you know? You're a caveman.
:mad: :mad:

NormanPride
2/20/2007, 05:48 PM
A lot of diabetics crave water really bad. The worse it got the more water I had to constantly drink.

I did not know this. Is it a different type of diabetes? Like the kind Wilford Brimley (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pod4jIKT_kA) has?

SicEmBaylor
2/20/2007, 05:51 PM
I did not know this. Is it a different type of diabetes? Like the kind Wilford Brimley (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pod4jIKT_kA) has?
lol, I don't know. Mine is a mild (I guess you'd call it mild since it isn't that hard to control and it doesn't get all that high) form of Type II.

yermom
2/20/2007, 05:53 PM
one of the things that clued my mom into the fact that she had it was the insane amounts of water she was drinking (she got Type I as an adult)

i probably drink like 64oz of water a day

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/20/2007, 06:05 PM
I drink about a gallon and a half a day.

If any of you ever need a kidney...

soonerboomer93
2/20/2007, 06:13 PM
I drink somewhere above 48 oz's every day. 3 or 4 large cups at work, a little at the gym, and then some at night

Jimminy Crimson
2/20/2007, 08:34 PM
Is Oklahoma beer close enough to water to count? Because I drink a lot of that a day! :texan:

Actually, water is my drink of choice. I'm cutting out sweet tea and pop as of tomorrow. (lent)

usmc-sooner
2/20/2007, 08:38 PM

my guess would be that you'd want to give up all those sugary drinks.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/20/2007, 09:58 PM

What are some of the potential health problems from never drinking water?Well back when I never drank water I got pneumonia. My body was so dehydrated that they had to get the dialysis nurse to put in my IV's because my veins were so tiny. Water also helps clean out the waste in your body. That's why when you drink lots of water your pee will be clear. If your pee isn't clear, then you aren't getting enough water and your kidneys aren't functioning like they should.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/20/2007, 10:00 PM
Here's my water drinking regimen:

24 oz. Bottle of OU water on the way to work

24 oz. Bottle of OU water in the morning

20 oz. Bottle from vending machine in the afternoon

17 oz. bottle at the Gym or at home

SicEmBaylor
2/20/2007, 10:03 PM
Well back when I never drank water I got pneumonia. My body was so dehydrated that they had to get the dialysis nurse to put in my IV's because my veins were so tiny. Water also helps clean out the waste in your body. That's why when you drink lots of water your pee will be clear. If your pee isn't clear, then you aren't getting enough water and your kidneys aren't functioning like they should.

That's kind of scary. I drink nothing but pop. Before becoming diabetic for most of my life I drank nothing but 4-5 Mt. Dews a day. Now it's Coke Zero in the same quantity.

royalfan5
2/20/2007, 10:10 PM
I drink alot of fluids, mostly water, tea and milk. My pee is almost always clear unless, I'm hungover, or just took my multivitamin.

SoonerInKCMO
2/20/2007, 10:20 PM
You people and your crazy water drinking. And bottled water?!!? :nuts:

OhU1
2/20/2007, 11:06 PM
This thread is a good example of why you should not ask health or medical related questions on the internet.

soonersweetie
2/21/2007, 12:32 AM
Ok, I admit, I'm probably the worst water drinker in the world. I hate it!! Of course, I'm a hopeless diet coke addict. I used to have 4-5 diet cokes a day!!. I'm now down to about 3. I try to drink at least one bottle of water a day. That is huge for me and quite an accomplishment if I can do it. I just hate the taste-or lack thereof.

Also, I think back to when I was a kid growin up in OK. We NEVER drank water as kids. It was always, milk and koolaid, and ice tea. Maybe occasionally a glass of water from the tap. Never did I see people with bottled water (even in the 80's when I was in college). So, I just don't understand if it wasn't a big deal then, why is it such a big deal now?

Plus, the number #1 ingredient in diet coke is water ;)

Look, I don't have any other vice (don't do drugs, don't smoke, etc) so if my diet coke and Sooner football addiction is the worst thing I ever do in my life, I'm ok.

H8HOGS
2/21/2007, 12:38 AM
Water can kill you.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/14/woman-dies-trying-to-win-a-wii/

yermom
2/21/2007, 12:44 AM
Well back when I never drank water I got pneumonia. My body was so dehydrated that they had to get the dialysis nurse to put in my IV's because my veins were so tiny. Water also helps clean out the waste in your body. That's why when you drink lots of water your pee will be clear. If your pee isn't clear, then you aren't getting enough water and your kidneys aren't functioning like they should.

i've always heard "pale yellow"

mines usually only clear after a few beers or something

yermom
2/21/2007, 12:45 AM
Water can kill you.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/14/woman-dies-trying-to-win-a-wii/

Dihydrogen Monoxide strikes again

SicEmBaylor
I used to consume a great deal of chlorinated water.

God, I miss the smell of a super-chlorinated pool in the morning.

OCUDad
Before I figured out I was diabetic, I did go through a stage of drinking tons of water.
Before becoming diabetic for most of my life I drank nothing but 4-5 Mt. Dews a day. Please help me understand this... you diagnosed yourself as diabetic, without benefit of a doctor? And now that you don't drink water, you're not diabetic any more?

I see a Nobel Prize for medicine in your future, Mr. SicEmunchausen.

SicEmBaylor
2/21/2007, 12:48 AM
Please help me understand this... you diagnosed yourself as diabetic, without benefit of a doctor? And now that you don't drink water, you're not diabetic any more?

I see a Nobel Prize for medicine in your future, Mr. SicEmunchausen.

Well, my dad is a doctor. He diagnosed me. I'd been in Texas and apparently developed the diabetes rather rapidly; I finally couldn't take it anymore so I went home and let my dad check me out.

And I don't drink water anymore, but my diabetes is under control with medication so I don't have the same water cravings. I only get the severe water cravings when my blood sugar gets really high.

leavingthezoo
2/21/2007, 09:51 AM
3 to 5 liters a day. i live in the desert. i needs me lotsowater.

tbl
2/21/2007, 10:03 AM
I've brought this up in the last couple of days with my wife and a couple of friends, and nobody can give a clear answer.

I drink those Crystal Light on-the-go deals all day. I have a 33.8 oz club soda bottle that I reuse and put two of the CLOTG packets in with my tap water. My question is: Does adding the CLOTG completely alter the chemical structure of the water in a way that takes away the hydrating benefits? There's no sugar, no sodium, just artificial flavoring and color. I know when you add water to coffee beans, it changes the properties so much that it actually dehydrates you, so that makes me wonder if I'm getting the same benefits from drinking CLOTG as drinking a glass of clear water.

OUDoc
2/21/2007, 10:06 AM
I've brought this up in the last couple of days with my wife and a couple of friends, and nobody can give a clear answer.

I drink those Crystal Light on-the-go deals all day. I have a 33.8 oz club soda bottle that I reuse and put two of the CLOTG packets in with my tap water. My question is: Does adding the CLOTG completely alter the chemical structure of the water in a way that takes away the hydrating benefits? There's no sugar, no sodium, just artificial flavoring and color. I know when you add water to coffee beans, it changes the properties so much that it actually dehydrates you, so that makes me wonder if I'm getting the same benefits from drinking CLOTG as drinking a glass of clear water.
I don't think so, it's the caffeine in tea/coffee that is a diuretic. Crystal Light tabs should be fine.

tbl
2/21/2007, 10:10 AM
That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if the color/flavoring/sweetener did anything.

So what about carbonated water? I can't imagine drinking a caffeine free diet soda is as good as drinking a water.

OUDoc
2/21/2007, 10:13 AM
So what about carbonated water? I can't imagine drinking a caffeine free diet soda is as good as drinking a water.
I would think they would be closer, but plain water would be better to hydrate you.

yermom
2/21/2007, 10:21 AM
That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if the color/flavoring/sweetener did anything.

it's not so much that the coffee, or whatever is changing the water chemically, it's just a solution/mixture, like anything else

it's the contents, like Doc said, caffeine makes you pee more than the water content hydrates you, so you are "losing" with colas and coffee/tea, same with OK canoe beer

short-term, the Crystal Light shouldn't be an issue with hydration, but i'm not sold on the long-term effects of artificial sweeteners though

TexasLidig8r
2/21/2007, 10:53 AM
I'm now drinking about 70 - 80 oz of water a day.. with every 20 oz, I pour about 3 oz of fresh orange juice (not from concentrate) in it. No sodas, no snacking.

Before eating anything in the morning, I down about 20 oz of water with the OJ.

Result... have lost 12 pounds in the last 3 weeks.

Petro-Sooner
2/21/2007, 11:11 AM
Try to drink as much as possible. Norman has the best water around. Crystal. Clear.

NormanPride
2/21/2007, 11:22 AM
Norman's water has an unusually high amount of arsenic. It's actually not very good for you, I hear.

Petro-Sooner
2/21/2007, 11:27 AM
I should have put in the ;) I was being very sarcastic.

NormanPride
2/21/2007, 11:29 AM
Ah, yes. That would have been helpful. :D

We seriously went through about 6 water filters a year when we lived there. :eek:

IB4OU2
2/21/2007, 11:34 AM
Norman's water has an unusually high amount of arsenic. It's actually not very good for you, I hear.

I survived drinking that tainted water for over 22 years...I never heard it was bad.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/21/2007, 11:39 AM
Try to drink as much as possible. Norman has the best water around. Crystal. Clear.Natty Light is not the same as plain water. FWIW.

Petro-Sooner
2/21/2007, 11:42 AM
whatever

Flagstaffsooner
2/21/2007, 12:48 PM
I'm now drinking about 70 - 80 oz of water a day.. with every 20 oz, I pour about 3 oz of fresh orange juice (not from concentrate) in it. No sodas, no snacking.

Before eating anything in the morning, I down about 20 oz of water with the OJ.

Result... have lost 12 pounds in the last 3 weeks.You'd lose another 100lbs if you would get rid of all your longwhorn bull$hit.

SicEmBaylor
2/21/2007, 01:23 PM
More and more I tend to think Lid should have gone to SMU rather than UT.

Flagstaffsooner
2/21/2007, 01:48 PM
More and more I tend to think Lid should have gone to SMU rather than UT.In his next life he will go to Waco.

Beef
2/21/2007, 01:58 PM
I drink a crapload of decaf iced tea in the summer to break the monotony of water. From everything I've read, it's basically the same thing as long as you don't put a bunch of crap in your tea.

OUDoc
2/21/2007, 02:04 PM
If'n I remember med school properly, sugar in the water helps absorption. Water by itself is passively absorbed into the body. With sugar, water's actively pumped into the cells along with the sugar molecule. Thus, Gatorade is born.

TexasLidig8r
2/21/2007, 02:32 PM
More and more I tend to think Lid should have gone to SMU rather than UT.

You deserve the mother of all negspeking jihad for that!!!! :mad:

;)

Flagstaffsooner
2/21/2007, 02:37 PM
You deserve the mother of all negspeking jihad for that!!!! :mad:

;)You just got it.

OhU1
2/21/2007, 02:37 PM
The dehydrating effect of caffine is over stated I believe. If you were in the desert and had only coffee you would still be better off drinking coffee then drinking nothing. But instead of netting 100% of the liquid consumed toward hydration you might net only 50 - 60% of the liquid consumed due to more urination.

Alcohol on the other hand may actually dehydrate. Sure seems that way.

StoopTroup
2/21/2007, 03:04 PM
:mad: :mad:
Wow...somebody got up on the wrong side of the rock yesterday.

soonerbrat
2/21/2007, 03:13 PM

there's a lot of extra sugar in the blood..it draws water out of the cells, which makes a person thirsty...and makes them pee a lot too. classic symptom of diabetes

and oh yeah..i drink between 3 quarts and a gallon of water when i'm at work..i have a big cup i refill throughout the day..at home..not so much unless i buy bottled water.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/21/2007, 05:34 PM
there's a lot of extra sugar in the blood..it draws water out of the cells, which makes a person thirsty...and makes them pee a lot too. classic symptom of diabetes

and oh yeah..i drink between 3 quarts and a gallon of water when i'm at work..i have a big cup i refill throughout the day..at home..not so much unless i buy bottled water.Lunchboxes are not the same as water FWIW.

Jimminy Crimson
2/21/2007, 05:41 PM
Lunchboxes are not the same as water FWIW.

PS - It's Edna's Birthday Party tonight!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/21/2007, 05:46 PM
PS - It's Edna's Birthday Party tonight!Yeah I know. I'm gonna have to pass. I'm not drinking M-T anymore.
:( Plus I have someplace to be at 5:30 and don't want to drive all the way back over here.

Drink 1 or 3 for me.