PDA

View Full Version : Will Kelvin Come Back For Senior Night?

OUSKINS
2/20/2007, 03:52 PM
Interesting question.

Indiana plays on Saturday, the 24th. They don't play again until their game at Northwestern on Wed., the 28th.

Our senior night is against KU on the 26th. Kellen will be honored along with the other seniors, and they are usually joined by their parents. That would leave Kelvin plenty of time to catch a quick flight and be back in Indiana in time. At most, he'd have to miss their practice on Monday.

I don't really care either way, but I do think it would be kind of cool scene.

ouradu
2/20/2007, 04:03 PM
I bet his mom and maybe grandparents show up, but no kelvin. just a baseless prediction.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/20/2007, 04:41 PM
Interesting question.

Indiana plays on Saturday, the 24th. They don't play again until their game at Northwestern on Wed., the 28th.

Our senior night is against KU on the 26th. Kellen will be honored along with the other seniors, and they are usually joined by their parents. That would leave Kelvin plenty of time to catch a quick flight and be back in Indiana in time. At most, he'd have to miss their practice on Monday.

I don't really care either way, but I do think it would be kind of cool scene.

If he does I hope the fans at the game are classy enough to give him at least a warm ovation or rather an ovation for Kellen while his dad is there. I appreciate some of the things that Kelvin accomplished but even if you have a low opinion of him right now I think Kellen deserves the good recognition.

Collier11
2/20/2007, 04:46 PM
He will be here, he is a proud father!! Kelvin gave us many great years and while I hold some bitterness for the trouble he got us into, it doesnt take the place of all the good he did!!

OUSKINS
2/20/2007, 05:04 PM
I'm not a huge Kelvin fan, and never was. However, I do respect what he did at OU-- let's face it, when it was all said and done, Kelvin was a success in Norman-- I would have preffered more post-season success, but hey, he did reach a Final Four, a Sweet 16, and an Elite 8. The man was a good coach for the Sooners, period.

But that isn't the point. If Kelvin returns for Kellen's night, I would be APPALLED if the fans were anything but gracious.

fwsooner22
2/20/2007, 05:15 PM
He will not be there. He will be at his graduation though. Just a guess.

stoopified
2/20/2007, 05:26 PM
He will be here, he is a proud father!! Kelvin gave us many great years and while I hold some bitterness for the trouble he got us into, it doesnt take the place of all the good he did!!Ditto.

tommieharris91
2/20/2007, 06:13 PM
My guess is Kelvin doesn't come back, nor should he. His team needs to win another game or two to feel secure about his at-large chances, and he needs to be in Bloomington helping his players and assistants practice.

the_ouskull
2/20/2007, 07:03 PM
I hope that he does, for Kellen especially, but if he doesn't, I get it. (Not because of the OU stuff, but because he's in the middle of a season...)

the_ouskull

sooner518
2/20/2007, 07:42 PM
im on the "i hope he does and gets a good ovation" train

sanantoniosooner
2/20/2007, 07:43 PM
Hope he wears a blue shirt.

LittleWingSooner
2/20/2007, 07:46 PM
Kelvin has said he's coming back.

THE Roy Williams
2/24/2007, 12:24 AM
Kelvin has said he's coming back.

Where did you hear that? He is long gone, Indiana has too much going on to come back to OU. He is in the middle of a cluster-fudsicle in that tough Big Ten.

LittleWingSooner
2/24/2007, 12:50 AM
In interviews he has said he is coming back for senior night. I didn't mean he's coming back to coach. And another site is reporting he will be there for Sr night

soonervegas
2/24/2007, 04:14 AM
I will give it my best golf clap for Kelvin. I appreciate all the success at OU, but he did cheat.

booomer
2/24/2007, 09:42 AM
I heard James Hale say yesterday morning that Kelvin would be present for senior night and that he expected (hoped) that the fans would show class and be appreciative.

I'll be there and I plan to give him just as big an ovation as any of the seniors.

boomersooner82
2/24/2007, 12:41 PM
I always liked and supported Kelvin and I definitely appreciated all he did while he was here, but I'm a huge homer and refuse to forgive anyone who leaves OU for another Division I job without getting fired, regardless of how much "better" the job is. I blame him directly for us not getting to the tournament this year, and that ****es me off. Sadly, I can't make it up for the game today. If I were there I wouldn't do anything stupid and classless like boo, but I definitely wouldn't applaud him. I'd give one hell of a cheer for Kellen's dedication for the past four years though.

Frozen Sooner
2/24/2007, 01:08 PM
I always liked and supported Kelvin and I definitely appreciated all he did while he was here, but I'm a huge homer and refuse to forgive anyone who leaves OU for another Division I job without getting fired, regardless of how much "better" the job is. I blame him directly for us not getting to the tournament this year, and that ****es me off. Sadly, I can't make it up for the game today. If I were there I wouldn't do anything stupid and classless like boo, but I definitely wouldn't applaud him. I'd give one hell of a cheer for Kellen's dedication for the past four years though.

Just out of curiosity, do you feel the same way about Billy Tubbs? Not trying to turn this into a Tubbs v. Sampson debate at all, but at least Kelvin left for what's arguably a better job.

Sampson will be there. I hope he gets every bit of the recognition the other parents get. The day is about Kellen and Longar anyhow.

jccouger
2/24/2007, 01:12 PM
Sampson will be there. I hope he gets every bit of the recognition the other parents get. The day is about Kellen and Longar anyhow.

Longar is a junior isnt he?

Frozen Sooner
2/24/2007, 01:15 PM
You are correct. Man, I was SURE Longar was a senior. Awesome-here's hoping he improves as much this offseason as he did the last.

My bad. It's about Kellen, Mike, and Chris.

King Crimson
2/24/2007, 02:09 PM
and Nate Carter.

boomersooner82
2/24/2007, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=Mike Rich]Just out of curiosity, do you feel the same way about Billy Tubbs? Not trying to turn this into a Tubbs v. Sampson debate at all, but at least Kelvin left for what's arguably a better job. [QUOTE]

I never felt the same connection to Tubbs (he left when I was 11) plus I kinda like TCU (Fort Worth represent). Did he leave under similar circumstances, or was his coaching style getting old? I obviously have respect for what Billy did for OU basketball and Kelvin too. But I think Kelvin's still in his coaching prime. I'm sure I'll get over it, but it's a little too soon for me. He left less than a year ago.

Frozen Sooner
2/24/2007, 04:06 PM
Depending on who you listen to, Tubbs was either forced out or left on his own.

According to his family, he left on his own. TCU offered him more money to leave.

John Kochtoston
2/24/2007, 05:47 PM
Depending on who you listen to, Tubbs was either forced out or left on his own.

According to his family, he left on his own. TCU offered him more money to leave.

From what I understand (not to get into the Ferris Bueller 31 Flavors scenario, but it was from a source I trust) TCU offered Tubbs more money, Tubbs went to Donnie Duncan and asked him to match, and Duncan basically told him not to let the door hit him in the *** on the way out. I think Tubbs left at about the right time for both him and OU, but it probably could have been handled better.

tommieharris91
2/24/2007, 06:44 PM
I really don't want to hear a single boo for Kelvin Sampson Monday night. Yea sure he left, but do you blame him. Him leaving OU for Indiana is about the same as someone who left okie state football for Michigan football. I really don't blame him for leaving. Would some of our players be where they are now in terms of their development? Probably not, but then again we would be impressed with Scottie Reynolds and Daimon James, and also staring at an NCAA bid.

LittleWingSooner
2/24/2007, 07:42 PM
Tubbs teams weren't as good as they were in the 80's also. We probably weren't an NIT team with Tubbs if he stays the next year. We lost a lot off a team that struggled to make the NIT.