PDA

View Full Version : Bridge to Terrabithia

frankensooner
2/20/2007, 11:03 AM
Small yet helpful spoiler

Is actually very sad. I took my two littlest to see it and I wish I had been forewarned.

achiro
2/20/2007, 11:24 AM
Spoiler alert, don't read unless you care about your kids viewing choices.

Yep, we were ****ed! My 7 year old son has been dealing with the death of his greatgrandfather(my grandpa I've mentioned in earlier threads). It's the first time in his short little life he has experienced it so its been tough. He's been asking questions like, "who's next?":(
We take him to this movie expecting a Narnia type experience only to have to explain to him why the kids friend died and isn't coming home. My son kept saying, she's not really dead he'll go to Terrabithia and find her. Guess what, there is no Terrabithia in the movie. What little parts you see in the previews are all you get of the fantasy land in the movie, maybe about 10 minutes total.:mad: :mad: :mad:
I'd throat punch everyone involved if I had the chance, director, writer, producer, and especially the advertising folks.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

frankensooner
2/20/2007, 11:27 AM
exactly, I didn't go to see a kids movie to end up watching Terms of Endearment and then have to explain it to a 7 and 4 year old.

OzarkSooner
2/20/2007, 11:28 AM
STOP READING HERE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW ABOUT A POSSIBLE ENDING:

Ummmmmm seems to me like I remember the book being exactly like that...ends in the death of one of the kids...the girl I think.

C&CDean
2/20/2007, 11:49 AM
You're expecting these guys to actually read the book - and be educated about the flick before they expose their poor, sensitive children to it. You're expecting way too much...

colleyvillesooner
2/20/2007, 11:54 AM
http://www.kids-in-mind.com/

That's a pretty good site to check movies out.

BTT isn't on there yet though...

frankensooner
2/20/2007, 11:57 AM
Well Geez Dean, it isn't like it was a Harry Potter book. I went by the previews which didn't make it look like Terms of Endearment at all!!! ;)

C&CDean
2/20/2007, 11:59 AM
Well Geez Dean, it isn't like it was a Harry Potter book. I went by the previews which didn't make it look like Terms of Endearment at all!!! ;)

Terms of Endearment? You've actually watched that?

frankensooner
2/20/2007, 12:01 PM
What can I say, I used to have the hots for Debra Winger. ;)

achiro
2/20/2007, 12:02 PM
http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/terabithia/

Go to the left side click on about the movie then story, tell me what part of that doesn't make it sound like it will be moslty set in some sort of fantasy land? I've watched the movie and that sounds NOTHING like the one I saw.

As far as reading the book, I sure as hell don't read the books to every movie I ever watch, do you?:rolleyes:

C&CDean
2/20/2007, 12:03 PM
What can I say, I used to have the hots for Debra Winger. ;)

Dude, I thought Oprah and that blonde chick who played the crazy lady in the movie with Michael Douglas were in Terms of Endearment.

C&CDean
2/20/2007, 12:06 PM
As far as reading the book, I sure as hell don't read the books to every movie I ever watch, do you?:rolleyes:

At the theater? Yeah, I do. I probably only go to 1 movie every couple years and it's usually one from a book I've read. But then again, my kids are pretty much grown, and I didn't take them to movies much when they were growing up. My oldest is 25, and I've probably taken him to the theater 2-3 times in his life. The last time we went was for Austin Powers, The Spy Who Shagged Me. We both cracked up.

OUstudent4life
2/20/2007, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I and my wife both read this book when we were younger, and both thought A) we're NOT going to go see that, and B) people that don't actually know the story are going to be TOTALLY blindsided.

achiro
2/20/2007, 12:07 PM
Dude, I thought Oprah and that blonde chick who played the crazy lady in the movie with Michael Douglas were in Terms of Endearment.
OK quit, you're scaring me. You may have to go post in this thread soon.
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77099

achiro
2/20/2007, 12:10 PM
At the theater? Yeah, I do. I probably only go to 1 movie every couple years and it's usually one from a book I've read. But then again, my kids are pretty much grown, and I didn't take them to movies much when they were growing up. My oldest is 25, and I've probably taken him to the theater 2-3 times in his life. The last time we went was for Austin Powers, The Spy Who Shagged Me. We both cracked up.
There was a book?:confused:

OzarkSooner
2/20/2007, 12:12 PM
You're expecting these guys to actually read the book - and be educated about the flick before they expose their poor, sensitive children to it. You're expecting way too much...

hehe....

WHAT was I thinking?!

Hamhock
2/20/2007, 12:17 PM
Spoiler alert, don't read unless you care about your kids viewing choices.

Yep, we were ****ed! My 7 year old son has been dealing with the death of his greatgrandfather(my grandpa I've mentioned in earlier threads). It's the first time in his short little life he has experienced it so its been tough. He's been asking questions like, "who's next?":(
We take him to this movie expecting a Narnia type experience only to have to explain to him why the kids friend died and isn't coming home. My son kept saying, she's not really dead he'll go to Terrabithia and find her. Guess what, there is no Terrabithia in the movie. What little parts you see in the previews are all you get of the fantasy land in the movie, maybe about 10 minutes total.:mad: :mad: :mad:
I'd throat punch everyone involved if I had the chance, director, writer, producer, and especially the advertising folks.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

just explain to your kid that the kid died. people die. it happens every day. explain to him what happens after death and give him a healthy understanding of death.

Widescreen
2/20/2007, 12:24 PM
just explain to your kid that the kid died. people die. it happens every day. explain to him what happens after death and give him a healthy understanding of death.
You mean like getting stuffed into a box for your flesh to rot away leaving only a skeleton? Good luck with that. ;)

achiro
2/20/2007, 12:26 PM
Wow, there's some ****ing wisdom right there.;) Look, the point was that we had been extremely stressed the last couple of weeks, watching my grandpa fade away and die, the funeral, then having to go to his house and through his things and the whole estate sale thing last weekend. We thought we'd get out and do something fun to get away from it for an evening. I don't care how much you prep someone for death, it's not easy. I sure didn't need to go to this movie expecting one thing and getting what we got.

frankensooner
2/20/2007, 12:28 PM
Seriously, it was like a throat-punch with a monkey wrench.

Frozen Sooner
2/20/2007, 12:38 PM
Yeah, there totally ought to be a law to make filmmakers give away the ending to films in the previews so that someone who has a family member die won't take their child to it and see a main character die.

In all seriousness, my condolences on your loss.

achiro
2/20/2007, 12:48 PM
Yeah, there totally ought to be a law to make filmmakers give away the ending to films in the previews so that someone who has a family member die won't take their child to it and see a main character die.

In all seriousness, my condolences on your loss.
Again Mike, it's not about that. The previews and everything I read and saw on the movie was that it was about a couple of kids that find an entrance to another land. A place with trolls, princes, princesses and such. The film itself had little to nothing to do with that and everything about a disfunctional kid looking for acceptance from his father, kids that use their imaginations to escape the realities of life(because real life sucks in the flick) and then the death of a best friend. The only thing that could have made it better would have been for her to have gay parents and let me get to explain that one as well.

jacru
2/20/2007, 01:11 PM
Goin' to the movies is like a box of chocolates.
Either see them yourself first or talk to someone you trust who has.
Or spin the wheel and take your chances.

achiro
2/20/2007, 01:14 PM
Goin' to the movies is like a box of chocolates.
Either see them yourself first or talk to someone you trust who has.
Or spin the wheel and take your chances.
Oh yeah, and we got the whammy for sure!
http://www.gameshow-galaxy.net/images/DzlItem1056.jpg

Sooner_Bob
2/20/2007, 01:24 PM
My 8 year-old wants to go see it, but now I'm not so sure.

Soonrboy
2/20/2007, 01:56 PM
read the book to her first.

jacru
2/20/2007, 02:16 PM
It is not for young children but could prompt some great discussions between parents and older kids. My wife and I liked it. I'm going to take my 12 yr. old boy to see it.

C&CDean
2/20/2007, 02:39 PM
Well make sure you let your kids know that Dumbledore dies in The Half-Blood Prince. Page 597 in the book - which means it probably won't even make the movie.

frankensooner
2/20/2007, 02:45 PM
At least Dumbledore was old and shaggy, not like this cute fresh-faced little girl.

Heck, I don't mind my kids going to see a fantasy like Harry Potter where there is some death involved, I can explain it to them. But this movie, I didn't see it coming. I thought this was going to be a cool fantasy movie with crazy monsters and dragons and whatnot. I didn't expect it to be a kiddie snuff film!!! ;)

royalfan5
2/20/2007, 02:59 PM
At least Dumbledore was old and shaggy, not like this cute fresh-faced little girl.

Heck, I don't mind my kids going to see a fantasy like Harry Potter where there is some death involved, I can explain it to them. But this movie, I didn't see it coming. I thought this was going to be a cool fantasy movie with crazy monsters and dragons and whatnot. I didn't expect it to be a kiddie snuff film!!! ;)
Just be glad you didn't take your kids to see Pan's Labyrinth.

frankensooner
2/20/2007, 03:00 PM
Just be glad you didn't take your kids to see Pan's Labyrinth.
everone around me would be glad too since I would be reading them the subtitles!!! ;)

SoonerAtKU
2/20/2007, 03:02 PM
Well make sure you let your kids know that Dumbledore dies in The Half-Blood Prince. Page 597 in the book - which means it probably won't even make the movie.

"Alright, shooting for the day, Dumbledore gets a hangnail. QUIET ON THE SET!!!"

jacru
2/20/2007, 03:09 PM
I didn't expect it to be a kiddie snuff film!!! ;)
:pop:

achiro
2/20/2007, 03:26 PM

exactly.

As far as taking an 8 year old. Honestly, even if the girl didn't die I wouldn't consider this a film for younger kids. I think most of them would just get bored.

Hamhock
2/20/2007, 03:27 PM
was the film rated G?

frankensooner
2/20/2007, 03:31 PM
My four year old was dying to see this from the previews. He has been asking to see it for months. "When will the Bridge to Terabithia be out?" he asked and asked. I got excited about seeing it because he was so excited. It didn't phase him at all either when the girl died. I think he was following the boy more anyway. He said he wants it on DVD when it comes out, I was like No Way! My 7 year old didn't much care for it though. She didn't like it.

frankensooner
2/20/2007, 03:32 PM
was the film rated G?
What difference does that make? It was a freakin' Disney film.

Old Yeller was rated G, and if I went to see that excecting to see a scooby-doo type romp I would be ****ed too@!

Hamhock
2/20/2007, 03:34 PM
What difference does that make? It was a freakin' Disney film.

Old Yeller was rated G, and if I went to see that excecting to see a scooby-doo type romp I would be ****ed too@!

Disney does not equal appropriate for all ages.

frankensooner
2/20/2007, 03:36 PM
And Chevy Chase is a hack.

jacru
2/20/2007, 03:40 PM
Not since Walt died. :mad:

frankensooner
2/20/2007, 03:42 PM
IMdb says: Rated PG for thematic elements including bullying, some peril and mild language.

Hamhock
2/20/2007, 03:59 PM
And Chevy Chase is a hack.

them's fightin' words. :texan:

frankensooner
2/20/2007, 04:04 PM
Well, he became a hack after the first Fletch film. ;) If you disagree with that, bring it!! ;)

Oh, and Christmas Vacation was good too.

oklaclarinet
2/20/2007, 09:21 PM
Don't blame the makers of the film if they followed the story of the book. If anyone is to blame for the confusion, blame the advertisers. My understanding is that they tried to cash in on the current Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings fantasy craze. When I first saw the trailers, I was worried that they had completely messed up the original story, which was one of the more powerful books I read as a kid. I was actually relieved to find out how misleading the trailers were, and I look forward to seeing a movie that has the same emotional impact and depth as the book I remember from my childhood.

colleyvillesooner
2/20/2007, 09:47 PM
Well, he became a hack after the first Fletch film. ;) If you disagree with that, bring it!! ;)

Oh, and Christmas Vacation was good too.

Do not leave out the original "Vacation."

Or Spies Like Us.

Hamhock
2/20/2007, 09:48 PM
Do not leave out the original "Vacation."

Or Spies Like Us.

yea, you dikfer

SoonerAtKU
2/21/2007, 11:19 AM
hmm, what's a dikfer?

GottaHavePride
2/21/2007, 02:00 PM

Disney produced Pulp Fiction. Miramax is another name for "Disney".

Norm In Norman
3/2/2007, 11:54 PM
Wow - we saw it today and that was a good movie. The boy liked it a lot, but I don't think there was really enough action for a 6 year old boy. It seemed like something MAYBE a 12 year old might be able to relate to. The trailers were misleading and they didn't need to be, although I don't know how else they could have done the trailer to get people to see it. The movie is awesome without being a Narnia type film and didn't need that trailer to be good.

I've never read the book, but I plan to now.

DeadSolidPerfect
3/3/2007, 08:51 AM
Don't blame the makers of the film if they followed the story of the book. If anyone is to blame for the confusion, blame the advertisers. My understanding is that they tried to cash in on the current Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings fantasy craze. When I first saw the trailers, I was worried that they had completely messed up the original story, which was one of the more powerful books I read as a kid. I was actually relieved to find out how misleading the trailers were, and I look forward to seeing a movie that has the same emotional impact and depth as the book I remember from my childhood.
I believe I was in 5th grade when I read the book. The first "real" book I ever read, caused emotions that I'd never had reading a book. I've been an avid reader since.

StoopTroup
3/3/2007, 02:53 PM
My Wife and I took the kids the other day.

It's a great movie IMO.

In life there is death. When our 13 yr old dog passed on we had to explain death then.

* * * * * * Spoiler alert * * * * * * * * *

The death of your kids best friend would be a tough one for any kid whether 6 yrs old or 45. I'll never shelter my kids about such stuff. God gives us no more than we can handle...he gives us the ability to learn to handle it.

Telling somebody about this movie prior to seeing it would ruin it. The Wife and I equate it to telling somebody that Bruce Willis is dead during the entire movie the 6th Sense.

Go see the movie IMO.

If your concerned about your kids viewing stuff that you deem questionable...don't attend 1st viewings of movies unless you seek advice before seeing it. If you expect Hollywood or Disney etc... to shelter your kids from questionable material...you shouldn't IMO.

frankensooner
3/5/2007, 11:24 AM
It isn't about the sheltering kids aspect...it was about false advertising.

It bothered me a lot more than my kids.

achiro
3/5/2007, 11:54 AM
It isn't about the sheltering kids aspect...it was about false advertising.

It bothered me a lot more than my kids.
ditto